I was accused of shoplifting and almost arrested today at CVS due to my appearance

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Roxane68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is true in the Walmart store I work in. You have to know what EXACTLY was stolen and where it was stashed on their person. And you can't lose visual at anytime. Plus only a salaried member of management or AP (Asset Protection) can stop the person or call the police. I also commented on the FB post. I am disappointed that CVS would chose to hide a post and not contact you.  Please obtain a copy of the police report. It will have the manager's name and attending police officiers if you decide to take legal action. Not legal action against the police officers but the manager. You might need the police names for a law suit. Which I am going to assume CVS will try to avoid.

We had an associate accuse a customer of stealing without i's dotted and t's crossed and he no longer works for Walmart. I hope you get a resolution that you are happy with!
Yeha, I worked at Hollister and it was the same. We couldn't accuse a customer. We could say, if we saw them put a shirt in their bag, "Oh we have some jeans that would look really great with that shirt!" but we couldn't say "Stop stealing stuff lady!" and call the cops

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would contact an attorney. Immediately.

This.

I quite literally could not close my mouth while reading this, what did these people think?! Try to get the officers that searched the car as witnesses. People suck... wow!

I would sue the hell out of them! Harassment and defamation. Make sure you follow through on contacting customer service and filing a complaint. Don't let them get away with this! Pink hair? Really? They need to be retrained on how to really spot someone that stealing and not to physically profile someone with different color hair or whatnot. That's ridiculous. I didn't know people with different color hair were such criminals! Oh please, give me a break. Sock it to 'um!

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pink hair? Really? They need to be retrained on how to really spot someone that stealing and not to physically profile someone with different color hair or whatnot. That's ridiculous. I didn't know people with different color hair were such criminals!
Apparently so. I guess that means Amy from Sugarpill, Snooky & Tish from Manic Panic, Betsey Johnson (and I could go one and on) are all criminals as well because they have brightly colored hair. Stupid manager... I find those with color hair and even those with tattoos tend to be the NICEST people out there more so than "normal" people. In my area the ones who do the most shoplifting are the upper middle class and rich girls who have the expensive clothes and have mommy and daddy's money to buy anything they want.

Disgusting,. Esp considering they have hid the post. I havent shopped there in a long time, but I wont ever because of this. From reading through some of their recent FB customer posts, you arent alone.

Girl i have the SAME PROBLEM i have tattoos everywhere, funky hair etc and i am CONSTANTLY being followed around stores by employees/ secret shoppers and at times i want to be like "hey how are you? Im kate and since your SO interested in following me around u figured i would just introduce myself to you! Wtf these people feel that since we look a certain way we are thieves. Thats called profiling and its illegal. SUE immediately Hun X

Ironically, the SUCCESSFUL shoplifters are the ones who are inconspicuous..... hate that not looking like a Stepford wife causes so much hassle for folks that are just minding their own business....

I would recommend getting all your factual evidence in place such as the officers badge numbers, the manager on duty's name and how long she/he has been working there, and depending on what state you are in police may or may not have the right to search your car without a warrant, so I would look into that, who called the police is a big concern too. If it was the manager their boned, if it was a staff member they were taught to do so by the manager and both people could lose their jobs.

Contact an attorney asap too! It is profiling and harassment. Since that store found nothing wrong they legally can't ban you and you my dear have a case that could get you a lot of grievance pay. An attorney will be able to guide you along the way much better cause they will know all the laws in your area. Oh, also since you, hopefully will be working with legal help they can request the loss and stolen accounts and records from the store to look into how often, what times and dates and what is being stolen from the store. This can prove that you are Innocent too as well as the tapes that have to be surrendered to legal teams to review. 

I say, slaughter them! Also, I am sorry that they did that to you. The same thing happens to me when I go into the Great Wall Shopping Mall here in Kent, WA. I am followed everywhere by the shop keepers. It is really annoying and I even heard one of them say, "White people can't be trusted. They steal. Watch her." It sucks that profiling still happens to this day.

If Amber gave permission to search her vehicle (which it sounds like she did), the officers don't need a warrant.

I agree with everyone else - I know you seem reticent to press charges and involve the media, but in this case you really should. You say you want them to change, but with big corporations like this, the threat of a fat lawsuit and negative press is what is the most likely thing to cause that change. And you really should be compensated for the bull**** they put you and your mom through!

WOW. The district manager at CVS was a DICK. He said my mom is banned from ALL stores for LIFE, no action will be taken against any of the employees involved and he advised me to no longer shop at the store if I feel I'm being profiled. He gave no explaination for why the police were called on us, would not tell me the names of the employees who called on us, nothing. I'm officially done and I hope anyone aware of this situation calls to make a complaint. I know I'm contacting a lawyer and the media immedately.

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW. The district manager at CVS was a DICK. He said my mom is banned from ALL stores for LIFE, no action will be taken against any of the employees involved and he advised me to no longer shop at the store if I feel I'm being profiled. He gave no explaination for why the police were called on us, would not tell me the names of the employees who called on us, nothing. I'm officially done and I hope anyone aware of this situation calls to make a complaint. I know I'm contacting a lawyer and the media immedately.
Wow indeed!!! That is RIDICULOUS! I'm glad you are contacting a lawyer and the media. Get em girl and please keep us updated.

Is the only reason your mom is banned because the person she was shopping with was "suspicious"? They are really reaching there.

I am so sorry to hear this Amber. The CVS near my house is very nice to me at least. But this is too horrible, we trusted CVS enough to shop there and this is what we get?

I'd say definitely get a lawyer and sue them. This is so wrong! And the dic..I mean district manager's reaction explains why they hide your post on their fb wall because apparently they don't give a shit.

I think I'd rather walk 15 minutes to the nearest RiteAid than shopping at CVS from now on.

The manager is sticking to their accusations and basically saying they DID see my mom trying to steal printer ink even though it would be impossible for her to handle any without breaking open a locked display first (the employee who called told us that). The store has the right to ban anyone for any reason from what I'm told...they could hate the way you look and tell you not to return and apparently it's legal. The manager also says she never suspected or profiled me which is a complete lie. I was specifically told they recognized me and thought my mom and I were in on it together. Also if they never suspected me why was I searched specifically for makeup and my mom specifically for printer ink? The manager is basically lying out her ass so she doesn't get into trouble and the company is choosing to look the other way.

If you get the media involved, higher ups in the company will get involved and someone will get in trouble. Contacting the media may get more done than a lawyer.

Originally Posted by mickdraggen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the officers badge numbers and the report, the manager on dutys name in info and called an attorney asap. Because you were being profiled by the store and threatened by the them and the cops who did not have a warrant to search your car you can sue the hell out of them all. Just remember to collect all your evidenece and to write up your statement and your mothers.
Police don't usually need a warrant to search a car, since a card is mobile - and most items are visible - and she volunteered to a search to her belongings.

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would sue the hell out of them! Harassment and defamation. Make sure you follow through on contacting customer service and filing a complaint. Don't let them get away with this! Pink hair? Really? They need to be retrained on how to really spot someone that stealing and not to physically profile someone with different color hair or whatnot. That's ridiculous. I didn't know people with different color hair were such criminals! Oh please, give me a break. Sock it to 'um!
I agree! From what I understand it'd even illegal to search someone after he/she has left the store. Even worse if they profiled you...grrrrrrrrr You should really get a lawyer consultation and see if you have a case (I'm sure you do!!) a consultation is not very expensive. Please stand up for your rights!

Police don't usually need a warrant to search a car, since a card is mobile - and most items are visible - and she volunteered to a search to her belongings.
Also, the police were responding to the call made by the CVS employees and, acting on their "tip" have every right to ask to search car/bag contents. The blame is with CVS, not the police, who were courteous and just doing their job. As Fairest stated, they were helpful and then confused by their inclusion after learning the store employees had no physical evidence, despite months of watching her. Fairest, best of luck in perusing this to the fullest extent! I hope you get assistance and the media to help you channel your story and mistreatment. This is incredibly dumbfounding and horrible business on CVS's part. Businesses, even large corporations, do not like bad press because it can be reflected all the way back to their portfolios lol. I hope the outcome is favorable for you!

Latest posts

Back