In your opinion, worst high end cosmetics brand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also like Too Faced. Granted, I only have one thing from them (a liquif-eyes eyeshadow pallette) and it's from a few years ago.

Originally Posted by TacomaGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pop beauty, Pixi and Tokidoki that's my trifecta of brands that aren't worth the money. 

Good to know! I like their bags, and I got a tiny rollerball of the perfume in Ciao Ciao that was pretty decent.

Clinique, overall.  I did recently start buying some of their products.  I have a glossy gloss & eye makeup remover, but I was very reluctant to return to this brand.  As far as individual items, I do not like Laura Mercier eye shadow palettes (I could not get any color onto my skin) and Tokidoki felt eye liners.  I was fooled by the commercial on QVC, but see that they dry out quickly, and you have to tug hard at your eye when applying.

Clinique for me as well. I've tried their stuff a few times, and always been horribly dissapointed. The same goes for their skin care products too!

I've never understood the love for Benefit boxed powders, since so many of them won't show up on anyone who isn't ghostly white, and the few that are pigmented don't seem to be anything special to me. Is it just the cute boxes? Kinda expensive just to get cute packaging and meh product.

The other one I don't get is Lush, which to me is overpriced soap. I can't see spending that kind of money on soap, or bubble bath, or hand cream...and especially when I see over half negative reviews when people buy the stuff. They end up loving like one out of three products they buy and such.

I never heard much about theBalm and so I passed it up when it showed up at TJMaxx and Marshalls. Then I checked reviews and they are almost all good! Now I'm kicking myself for not buying at least a few things when I had the chance!

My first Benefit blush was Dandelion.  It was so pale that it looked white on me.  I ended up giving it away to a friend who was paper white.  Hervana is a really nice colour tho.  You should give it a try.

I finally got  a sample of one cleanser that was supposed to calm your skin with calamine and clay but it gave me a burning sensation instead :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never understood the love for Benefit boxed powders, since so many of them won't show up on anyone who isn't ghostly white, and the few that are pigmented don't seem to be anything special to me. Is it just the cute boxes? Kinda expensive just to get cute packaging and meh product.

The other one I don't get is Lush, which to me is overpriced soap. I can't see spending that kind of money on soap, or bubble bath, or hand cream...and especially when I see over half negative reviews when people buy the stuff. They end up loving like one out of three products they buy and such.

I never heard much about theBalm and so I passed it up when it showed up at TJMaxx and Marshalls. Then I checked reviews and they are almost all good! Now I'm kicking myself for not buying at least a few things when I had the chance!

Yup, Dandelion, Thrrrrrrrob, Sugarbomb...probably more, but those off the top of my head, I've heard they are all unpigmented. That's why I don't get it, at least with an over the top pigmented blush you can just lightly tap your brush in it and buff like crazy for a lighter application.

MAC--I find their shadows to be hit or miss, but like their foundations.

Bare Minerals--their products gave me a horrible rash and were expensive to boot.

MUFE--for me they're hit or miss.  The only products that I like are the foundations.

Too Faced is the one product that a lot of people don't like, but I do.  I have their 3 piece brush set and love it as well as some of their shadows.  I find the shadows to work well on my skin and I like their texture.  

Great thread by the way!

Benefit is really hit or miss for me. I love love love their highlighters and cheek stains but stuff like primers or cover ups I hate. I thought I was going to love Smashbox, and I do love their mascara, but I bought two photo finish primers that don't work as well as a L'oreal primer I bought at Target. They're overpriced. I have always loathed Clinique. It was my Mom's staple so when I was a teen she started buying it for me and it has never worked. Their soap makes me break out in a weird rash, their lotion is so heavy it makes me greasy, I just hate the look of that giant bottle of toner, I hate the smell, and all of their make up is dull as dirt. IMO, of course, haha.

Bare Essentials.  I love the theory - but I can't wear them... totally allergic to almost everything! So sad.
icon_sad.gif

BARE ESCENTUALS!
icon_evil.gif
 It was the first mineral foundation I bought when I was in desperate need to cover my acne. I have very sensitive oily / acne prone skin and during that time I really had trouble with me breaking out the whole time. So I needed something that was supposedly all natural and wouldn't break me out further and cover up the ones I already had. 

So I bought it, believing everything they said about it. With all the hype about it and it being 'so pure you can sleep in it' . Worst mistake ever!

It was pricey ( even more so in sweden for some reason ), made me itch like crazy and break out even more! 

Got so depressed, couldnt believe that even mineral make up was not ok until I found out about the stupid culprit filler bismuth...

And their kabuki brush is also crap. 

I like Clinique's lip colors a lot, and their blusher is nice too. I agree with some posters upthread about their skin care products though - they are way too harsh for me. Every one I've tried has made my skin break out more. I'm also not a fan of Clinique's nail colors because they chip within a few days. I get much longer wear out of OPI.

I do agree for the most part about Smashbox - They are pretty inconsistent from item to item.  Their foundation is not noticeably better than a good drugstore one, and their eyeshadow primer pales in comparison to Too Faced and Urban Decay.  I have tried a couple of their lipglosses, and the best I can say for them is that they are not sticky.  Some of their eyeshadows I do love, though, so I think I will continue to pick up an eyeshadow palette from them once in a while.  They have nice colors and are pretty well-pigmented.

As for Benefit, I absolutely love their boxed powders, but I will add that I am ghostly pale, so maybe it is just me.  I also find their High Beam to be quite lovely.  I really have nothing but positive reviews on that company.

I think Stila has great eyeshadow and Smudge Sticks, but I HATE their Lip Glazes.  That stuff is the stickiest gloss I have ever tried.  I have bought non-sticky gloss for a tiny fraction of the cost.  Nice colors, but come on, do they not care at all that Lip Glazes are the stickiest things ever?  I am completely bewildered by all of the positive reviews that product gets.

I really have trouble writing off an entire brand.  There isn't one brand that I have completely sworn off.  Some companies just do a better job with certain products.  Once I figure out which ones those are, I am good to go.

CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ESTE LAUDER.........................

I could on and on it was easier to pick one that doesn't suck 
icon_rolleyes.gif

MAC AND BOBBIE BROWN LIVE UP TO THERE PRICES (but not all paraben free 
icon_cry.gif
)

Update: Guerlain. They piss me off time and time again with subpar product, and yet I continue to to give them my money (it's the packaging!!). I guess I'm the worst for continuing to give them my patronage, lol.

Back