In your opinion, worst high end cosmetics brand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, I've tried UD products years ago when I was in college (I'm talking 97 to 2002) b/c hey who doesn't like makeup that looks fun but they were crap then and I tossed the products I purchased not long after buying it.  I've tried a product from them a year or two ago, to see if my opinion has changed (you know you see them raved in mags and you think maybe) but yup, still garbage, still can't stand the junk. Me thinks they have always been overly hyped, cheap in quality but overly priced and I won't be duped again!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

seriously! someone please explain to me what makes them so great! I also dont get the hype over a palette of colors that no one will see, i.e. naked1&2.
A few years ago, they really were awesome. Their colors weren't the same old, same old and they had a very rock and roll vibe. Now, however, there are so many "edgy" brands, and "edgy" products from non-"edgy" brands, that they've lost a lot of their appeal. 

I tried to like Smashbox stuff, after I got a set at Costco. I even ordered off of their website. But their concealer stick was terrible. Horrible texture, the color was bad, everything. I hated it. 

Their eyeshadow wheel thing crumbled after the first use and I had to repress it with alcohol all mixed together as a blah brown color. 

That gel cheek and lip color that "Adjusts to your skintone!" is totally a bunch of baloney. It turns the exact same hot pink shade as my mood lipsticks used to when I was a kid! It's bright neon hot pink no matter what. 

I mean, it's an alright product but I do not think it's worth what they charge at all. 

I don't like their primers. I have tried them again and again because I ended up with like 3 tubes of the full size stuff and then a mini of the SPF one. It's all just really greasy and makes my skin break out. 
I actually prefer to use them on the backs of my hands because those get dry! 

Benefit. Most of the products I have bought have turned out to be total garbage. Too expensive too. 

I really like Too Faced, though. I don't understand all of the hate. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Everything I have bought from them turned out nice. Minus one palette that I didn't care for.

I really like Too Faced as well! I first bought the Candlelight powder for the packaging (I'm a sucker for cute packaging!) and I absolutely love it. 

I kinda agree on Benefit--they have awesome, awesome boxed powders and illuminizers (in my opinion), but almost everything else I've tried is awful. Especially that foundation faker stuff. Blegh, blegh, blegh. Gross!

Originally Posted by rebelyell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Benefit. Most of the products I have bought have turned out to be total garbage. Too expensive too. 

I really like Too Faced, though. I don't understand all of the hate. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Everything I have bought from them turned out nice. Minus one palette that I didn't care for.

Oh lord! I had a mini sized some kinda gorgeous and it was awful.  Terrible, even.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really like Too Faced as well! I first bought the Candlelight powder for the packaging (I'm a sucker for cute packaging!) and I absolutely love it. 

I kinda agree on Benefit--they have awesome, awesome boxed powders and illuminizers (in my opinion), but almost everything else I've tried is awful. Especially that foundation faker stuff. Blegh, blegh, blegh. Gross!

Interesting BUMP. Interesting to see if there has been a change of heart since the original thread was posted 2 years ago.

Good info ladies.

I find this thread very interesting because I don't typically dislike or like HE brands as a whole, I chose different HE brands for different products.  Benefit is where I get my concealers (erase paste and lemon aid) because I have very large, dark circles and deep lines and I need the heavy cover stuff, although I will admit they are insanely high priced (at lease the erase paste lasts a long time) and the kits, while they would be a better value I do like the majority of what is in them, are packaged so that all of the products dry out within a week.  I love Clinique for the skincare and foundations, powders and tinted moisturizers as well as mascaras.  Their foundations do, however, tend to have pink undertones on their lighter shades, and their shadows are more muted and meant for more mature looks.  I don't care for the pigmentation on their matte shadows at all -the purples all look so dead on the skin, but but their Desert Sun shimmer eyeshadow is satiny and gorgeous.  It's my HG eyeshadow.  Anastasia seems to be the HE brand to go to for brow stuff, UD for shadow primers, Smashbox for skin primers, MAC for eyeshadows, etc.   Would it be better if we did a thread for the strengths and weaknesses of HE brands?  Otherwise as far as brands I dislike on the whole.... I dislike them for their practices and for routinely offering a snotty image, poor quality or mediocre products for high prices (basically, being about status) and animal testing.  Or I am not a fan of their particular style or image, such as UD eyeshadows because I'm not big on glittery stuff.  But that's all subjective.  XD

Thats a great idea about the thread, you should start one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I know that would be valuable information for me, since I am a newbie and just getting into HE makeup.

Originally Posted by katelynbby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find this thread very interesting because I don't typically dislike or like HE brands as a whole, I chose different HE brands for different products.  Benefit is where I get my concealers (erase paste and lemon aid) because I have very large, dark circles and deep lines and I need the heavy cover stuff, although I will admit they are insanely high priced (at lease the erase paste lasts a long time) and the kits, while they would be a better value I do like the majority of what is in them, are packaged so that all of the products dry out within a week.  I love Clinique for the skincare and foundations, powders and tinted moisturizers as well as mascaras.  Their foundations do, however, tend to have pink undertones on their lighter shades, and their shadows are more muted and meant for more mature looks.  I don't care for the pigmentation on their matte shadows at all -the purples all look so dead on the skin, but but their Desert Sun shimmer eyeshadow is satiny and gorgeous.  It's my HG eyeshadow.  Anastasia seems to be the HE brand to go to for brow stuff, UD for shadow primers, Smashbox for skin primers, MAC for eyeshadows, etc.   Would it be better if we did a thread for the strengths and weaknesses of HE brands?  Otherwise as far as brands I dislike on the whole.... I dislike them for their practices and for routinely offering a snotty image, poor quality or mediocre products for high prices (basically, being about status) and animal testing.  Or I am not a fan of their particular style or image, such as UD eyeshadows because I'm not big on glittery stuff.  But that's all subjective.  XD

I find Smashbox to be very overrated, and expensive. Not a fan. I like Tarte, their Clean Slate primer is the best I've ever used. It makes Photo Finish look like total crap.

Their Balm Shelter  tinted moisturizer is heavenly, combine it with their Sexy Mama translucent powder and my skin looks so even and clear. I started using it about six months ago and it's my HG for face makeup. I haven't tried any of their other stuff though. I'm intrigued by the matte black nail polish that some of the ladies got in their glam bags.

Great, thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have heard of the powder you are refering to, I will add it to my wish list.

Originally Posted by TacomaGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Their Balm Shelter  tinted moisturizer is heavenly, combine it with their Sexy Mama translucent powder and my skin looks so even and clear. I started using it about six months ago and it's my HG for face makeup. I haven't tried any of their other stuff though. I'm intrigued by the matte black nail polish that some of the ladies got in their glam bags.

I'm in love with their mary-lou manizer luminizer. it's so gorgeous! if you don't already have a great highlighter, I would check it out; it's a silky golden shimmer.

I bought 3 different sets from them bc they were only $10 at TJ Maxx: Oh So Versatile, Oh So Bright, Oh So Pretty; I bought another "Oh So Versatile", so when I get around to it I'll do a giveaway. I would probably pay full-price for a lot of their items, definitely their bronzers and blushes. If you have a TJ Maxx nearby, it might be worth a try to see if they have any in stock (they usually do, but not this cheap)

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what do you all think of theBalm?

awesome, I have a lot of them close by. Thanks!

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm in love with their mary-lou manizer luminizer. it's so gorgeous! if you don't already have a great highlighter, I would check it out; it's a silky golden shimmer.

I bought 3 different sets from them bc they were only $10 at TJ Maxx: Oh So Versatile, Oh So Bright, Oh So Pretty; I bought another "Oh So Versatile", so when I get around to it I'll do a giveaway. I would probably pay full-price for a lot of their items, definitely their bronzers and blushes. If you have a TJ Maxx nearby, it might be worth a try to see if they have any in stock (they usually do, but not this cheap)

Ohmygosh, everyone's hating on Too Faced, Benefit, and Clinique! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I LOVE all 3! Granted, I only use my foundation from Clinique but I've practically bought almost everything from Too Faced. If anyone doesn't want their stuff from them, I'll take it!!

I love Too Faced too! I was their level 2 beauty blogger of the month for Feb 2012 (Eugenia Lung). If you have a lot of their products, I recommend doing a review and posting on their page!!

I have a small beauty blog (school keeps me from posting too often) but I really do need to start reviewing more of their stuff! Does it help ad to your credability or whatever if you post reviews on their site? I've posted a few to their site but I guess I need to finish reviewing since I've ordered so much. I'm a level 3 Glam Status now :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> EDIT: Nevermind, I understand about the review thing. Duh!

Latest posts

Back