In your opinion, worst high end cosmetics brand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Maris Crane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In MAC's defense, nothing in this world is free - I'd rather spend x amount on product and get my makeup done; then spend x amount to just get my makeup on and get no product in return. Furthermore, it's not like MAC is out of line - Murale charges around the same amount, if one wants a skincare demo or their makeup done - redeemable on skincare or cosmetics. And it's not like MAC is sneaky about it.
The problem with forcing someone to buy the makeup is that what if the person has a reaction to the makeup? Also keep in mind in some states it IS against the law for someone without a cosmetology license to apply make up and charge for it. M•A•C gets around this by doing the makeup for free but forcing the customer to purchase products. Again, I dislike that tremendously because there is an allergy factor to consider yet they don't.

Until recently I haven't had the opportunity to purchase or use high end makeup. I've mostly only ever used drugstore brands. I can't really comment too much on bad products but I did receive some makeup from my aunt that were gifts with purchase. Some were Lancome and EA and I found that their pigmentation wasn't as good as I would have liked. I had to really pack it on my eyes and blending wasn't as good as some of my Rimmel eyeshadows. I only have a few products from MAC and from Sephora and I don't have many complaints about them. One product I am not very happy with is Vichy Mineral Powder Foundation. I find it is very cakey and chalky and I don't think I will re-purchase that at all. I've liked reading this thread though as it gives me insight to what other people like and dislike about different brands.

The problem with forcing someone to buy the makeup is that what if the person has a reaction to the makeup? Also keep in mind in some states it IS against the law for someone without a cosmetology license to apply make up and charge for it. M•A•C gets around this by doing the makeup for free but forcing the customer to purchase products. Again, I dislike that tremendously because there is an allergy factor to consider yet they don't.
Caveat emptor.

Clinique, if that qualified for high end because that's just an expensive drugstore crap.  I've never had a great experience with any producted I've tried.  Crap.

Originally Posted by CharmedImSure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Urban Decay.  I honestly don't get it...

seriously! someone please explain to me what makes them so great! I also dont get the hype over a palette of colors that no one will see, i.e. naked1&2.

I'm not a huge UD fan, but I have to say the Naked palette is hands-down my favorite bc it's so versatile. even though the shadows aren't neon pink or anything, they're definitely noticeable :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> it's great for school or work, but the glitter fallout is horrible lol.

the craze over the products--being constantly sold out due to 'low production', is kinda crazy though

Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

seriously! someone please explain to me what makes them so great! I also dont get the hype over a palette of colors that no one will see, i.e. naked1&2.

I tend to dislike Too Faced the most, just because I feel almost every thing they make has glitter and fallout. However, they do make a few things I really like, like the Shadow Insurance and such.

Personally, Benefit is one of my fave brands (thus the name) but I do agree they're pretty over priced.

I feel Dior and Chanel's make up is sub par and people only rave about it because of the brand name. That's my personal opinion.

I'm not sure which brand I like the least, but some specific products that I've splurged on have been really disappointing to me.  For example, MAC studio fix I liked a lot less than drugstore foundations.  I thought it didn't look natural at all on the face and had a weird scent to it.  I also got a Clinique set a while ago that included a lipstick, mascara and a few other items and I was totally unimpressed with all of them- I didn't see how they were any better than much cheaper brands.  The other thing that immediately comes to mind is the POREfessional from Benefit- I tried the sample and don't like it at all.  I don't think it really makes much if any difference, and I found it really hard to blend into areas of my face that are dry. 

Some brands that I absolutely love, like Clinique and Benefit are getting so much hate, haha! Interesting to see what works for some people, and not for others. 

As far as brands go that I really dislike and think are overhyped...

Bare Escentuals: Crap made me break out like there was no tomorrow. Plus, super expensive.

Urban Decay: I used to be super into them in high school, but so many products I've tried recently haven't been that great. I bought the first Naked palette, and I'm kinda "meh" about it. I'll probably get through it, but just stick to Covergirl or NYX next time I want basic neutral shades. Heck of a lot cheaper, too. 

First off, I'd say there are good products from most brands.  For instance, I love MAC lipsticks and eyeliners but I hate ALL of their foundations and can't stand their eyeshadows.  Sure great colors to choose from but I hate their textures and feel they don't go on smoothly.  In the case of Clinique, I love their foundation and lipsticks but I wouldn't go to them for anything else.  Revlon (I know a lower end brand) , I like their lipsticks and nailpolishes but that's it.  You see my point.  And I will say I haven't tried ALL brands of makeup and definitely haven't tried the really higher end brands like Dior, Chanel and Guerlain so I can only speak on what I've tried.  I LOATHE ALL URBAN DECAY products.  Poorest of quality and just gimmicky in my opinion and way too expensive for such piss poor quality.  Literally everything I have purchased from them, I have tossed in the garbage.  That Urban Cowboy eyeshadow everyone raves about.  It doesn't blend well, it's chalky in consistency and it has huge shards of glitter in it.  That's flattering.  I call it gross.  I will never be duped by that crap-ass (no offense) brand again.  I rather wear Wet n' Wild and I hate Wet n' Wild but I hate Urban Decay more.  Sorry for the rant, but can't stand the brand Urban Decay. 

And I agree too that it's funny how one product works for one but not the other.  I guess as they say, to each her own! But as for Too Faced, I haven't tried all of their products, but recently purchased a small version of their pink leopard bronzer that I got at Ulta in the section that sells travel sizes or whatever. It was only $10, much less than what it costs for a full size item and I thought I'd give it a try.   It's the only blush/bronzer I have worn in weeks since getting it. Just love it.  Oh well I guess!

Clinique's entire skin care line I completely HATE. When I was 14 I spent about $200 because the sales rep told me that it would clear my acne! I used it for a week and my entire face was covered with dry, black spots!

Originally Posted by JonalRyan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kat Von D's makeup line.

She should just stick with tattooing.

I've said before that she shouldn't even BE tattooing. She should stick to being arm candy for those with a taste for the sour--THAT is what she does best.

Well, that and ...oh wait, family friendly site....can't say what I normally would about her :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And since a reaction may not show up immediately, this is actually much more disturbing. Granted, I would get around it by purchasing either brushes or nail polish...

I'd probably say Clinique as well. I like they're foundation and some of their skincare but the rest is just not so great in my opinion

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Department store worst brand: M•A•C.

The products are okay but it's so overhyped. I own ONE shadow (Jealousy Wakes) and yes it's a pretty color but it was such a waste of money for ONE shadow. My daughter has had her makeup done twice at their counters and been basically forced to buy $50 in products each time just to get her makeup done. First time she picked up some lip glosses and I think mascara but the second time I ended up returning the products.

Drugstore worst brand: L'Oreal

I like the HiP shadows but I've always had problems with the foundations, powders, mascara and that primer... gross. It smells and looks like soy wax.

Indy worst brand: witchslap, Two Cosmetics, Ruthless

It's a tie... not one of these companies are honest about the fact they ALL get their products from Lady Burd cosmetics and every single one sell the Lady Burd paint wheels mainly as eye shadows. The paint wheels are face paint not eye shadows.

THANK YOU for the heads up on the indies! My friend Shanna has been going mental over indie stuff lately and I wanna tell her to stay away from the crappy ones.

For me....

Worst Department Store Brand: Clinique. Hands down. Their products do NOT look good on me, far too yellowish. I have, at times, been tempted by that Black Honey lipstick that everyone went gaga over a few years ago, but....I just can't do it. I'm also not super-thrilled with Stila and the Bobbi Brown product line just doesn't suit my tastes.

Worst DOWNFALL of a HE brand: MAC, Too Faced, and Urban Decay. I used to love ALL THREE OF THESE. Unfortunately, the quality has gone down on all three, to the point where I only rarely buy MAC or UD anymore (and then ONLY if getting a bahhhhhgain), and Too Faced, not at all. (And this isn't the place for me to rant about former HE stuff that is now drugstore available).

Drugstore worst brand: Confetti nail polish (horrible coverage. You can get Sinful Colors for the same price point and it goes on much more nicely). Cover Girl (I can honestly say I have NEVER liked a product they have put out). 

And, of course, there are certain clunkers in every line, I suppose--I mean, I have no real issue with Wet n Wild nail polish or eye shadow (granted, FAR from HE, but they are my easiest example), but I won't touch their face products. 

Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few years ago, they really were awesome. Their colors weren't the same old, same old and they had a very rock and roll vibe. Now, however, there are so many "edgy" brands, and "edgy" products from non-"edgy" brands, that they've lost a lot of their appeal. 

Latest posts

Back