In your opinion, worst high end cosmetics brand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the comment about Merle Norman being morticians make up! It brings back the thoughts of Six Feet Under and the "commercials" that ran for corpse make up.

I'm not super brand/line loyal... I couldn't say I would recommend one particular brand across the line without any reservations. So it sucks to see Smashbox and Too Face listed here! I have the Too Faced neutral smokey eye palette--when it comes to "cheap packaging," I'd definitely say the Urban Decay palettes are cheaper in construction!!! Out of curiosity I slept in my TF e/s after applying it in the morning with no primer, and the next night the TF e/s still hadn't budged. So, I'm sold on their e/s, and I really love the neutral smokey e/s palette (and gasp, I'd say even moreso than my UD e/s). Without a doubt Smashbox has some hits (primer, Halo, I like their brushes, SoftLights, their lipgloss is not too shabby), but some misses as well (HD foundation, their e/s aren't very pigmented which is a shame for their trios, pretty much the majority of the mascaras they've ever come out with).

But I cannot stand Lancome or Clinique. Lancome is full of cruddy ingredients, and just a nice repackaging and markup of their drugstore line. And I hate seeing Clinique commercials on TV--if your line is that good (and its been around for so long, so word of mouth has gotten around), you don't spend ad dollars on commercials. And its full of icky products in its skincare line as well.

wtf? I thought Stila was a well liked brand. Well I'm coming to its defense. I adore Stila. They have some really good products. I personally love the tm and the cream blushes. Also they have good smudge pots and their lip glazes are pretty popular. Not to mention that kitten eye shadow. Idk i guess its more for a younger crowd. Also, I like Benefit too. They have some unique products that no one else does. LIke benetint, and famous highlighters. I guess they can be overrated sometimes, but as a whole they're not bad.

I have one Stila e/s "Shell" and it's the worst ever.
frown.gif

In any case, Benefit has intriguing stuff.. but they're so damned overpriced. Their "That Gal" primer, for example... 28 dollars for half an ounce a crap.

clinique is probably the worst i've used.

it was the first makeup i was introduced to because in high school my mom took me to one of their artists so i could learn how to wear makeup. my mom bought everything the lady put on me.

i figured since the makeup made a difference the lady was right.

but the powder ( i didnt wear concealer or foundation then) was too heavy and made my skin oily. the eyeshadows made very little to no difference.

and their makeup removers and moisturizers even left me feeling just oily at the end of it.

i dont use any clinique anymore. and looking back it made me look like a little kid trying to look so much older.

I think Clinique is kind of gross. I guess thats because I saw so much of it in high school and I'm just sick of that brands packaging and smell.

Pop Beauty..... ick.

Originally Posted by skarvika /img/forum/go_quote.gif I like Stila a lot...I just wouldn't pay full price for it. BeautyCrunch.com, baybeee!!
smile.gif

CHANEL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I paid $55 dollars for a creme foundation of there's and it was lousy!! There eye shadows crease badly on me too. over hyped.

I'm torn...I've had some clunkers from every brand, but I've also had winners. I guess I'd say Hard Candy, but they're not high end anymore, and haven't been ever since they changed their packaging/formula...it used to be my favorite brand!
frown.gif

Probably Napoleon Perdis. He has some decent stuff, but none of it is profound enough to legit such a high price. It's not much better than most drugstore brands.

Their blot oil control papers came in convenient plastic roll style with a "tear here" for ease, but it was like wax paper. I don't know how that's going to help my oily problems.

Their translucent loose powder was almost exactly the same as Covergirl and Neutrogena, but many times the price.

The lipglosses were nothing special.

I purchased (the only thing I bought) a mattifier and pore minimizer gel and it was pretty much the same as any other gel-ish primer, but in a tiny tube and several times the cost.

Stay away from this stuff.

Sephora is the fail for me. Their eyeshadows have the consistency and color payoff of a chunk of granite and their lipglosses feel like glue. I can't talk about foundations and face powders though because there's no way I'll put those on my sensitive, irritable skin.

On the other hand I have some Too Faced stuff that I really like. I have two eyeshadow duos that just. won't. crease. I can put them on at 7 am, go to school, have classes, spend half of the day rubbing my eyes because of my lense and at 2 am, when i go to take everything off, they are still there in all their uncreased glory, as if I had just applied them. I also quite like the lash injection mascara (that I have in brown and blue) but it's a temperamental product. I find that if I do the zigzag movement I do with other mascaras they clump like crazy and make my lashes look spidery. Instead I go in a straight line very quickly, building a bit at the tips if I feel like it, and the result is quite nice.

I have mixed feelings about smashbox. I have an eyeshadow (in Torch) and the eyelights set and I like them but I'm still peeved that they wanted to charge 65€ for their fancy shmancy "loose" powder foundation (in quotes because it's pressed, the powder is just shaved off the surface and made loose) while sephora.com said 56$. That's just bull-hooey, yo.

I like Clinique too. I love the cleanser and the moisturizer, that are so much nicer for my emo skin than the lethally expensive Carita products I used previously. Also, their superpowder is great for setting foundation without making my skin feel like it's made of paper.

I used to like benefit but now it falls short of impressing me. I like the Bad Gal mascara but I find CARGO's Texas Lash to have a bit more oomph. Even so the one I like best is Clinique's High Impact mascara because it looks best on me imo.

But the worst brand is Sephora, hands down >.< The only thing I like from them is the brushes and their beauty blender clone. Everything else sucks.

Have to agree that Benefit = rubbish. I get sucked in by the pretty packaging
icon_redface.gif
& I'm always left underwhelmed. Don't get the huge fuss about bad gal mascara, it's just crap. I don't think there's anything I've tried from them that's impressed me.

& Hard Candy is a waste of money as well. I remember buying a couple of eyeliners cos the colours were pretty, tried em on when I got home & the glitter in them was so chunky it actually hurt to put them on my eye.

I never learn....brand names don't always equal quality.

Hmm, I would have to say Too Faced as well. I have their e/s duo in Half Baked, or Twice Baked, or something of that sort, and it's my absolute favorite HG for those days when I just want to toss a neutral eye. HOWEVER, that damned lip gloss and cheek gel that is clear and is supposed to magically sense your PERFECT shade of pink annoys me to no end. I want it to work. It sounds spiffy, and EVERYTIME I'm standing in sephora, I test it on myself. EVERYTIME I TURN MAGENTA PINK. It's horrible. I want it to work. It would be awesome if it worked. But no, I just look like one of Malibu Barbie's close friends.

This annoys me. But kudos to Too Faced on their lovely e/s duo that I couldn't live without.. I may need to buy a backup. Just in case, come to think of it.

I'm not sure. I would have to agree with others who have posted when I say that each brand has some duds, but some winners as well.

I used to be obsessed with Hard Candy too, but that was before I discovered M.A.C., Nars, and other brands and learned better haha. I guess I didn't realize quality back then, and was just a sucker for packaging. I like Smashbox, but I feel like there lipglosses dry out really fast in the tube.

There are a lot of overpriced lines out there......

I'm not a big fan of Chanel. I have one lipstick and I like it but I used to have two quads from them that i gave away. The pigmentation is really poor for the price.

I thought Stila was also a solid brand-good shadows, glosses, blushes, eyeliners, etc. Same with Lancome.

I don't know if I have a brand I'd say is the worst, but I am very disappointed in the Guerlain loose eyeliners. Maybe I'm not using them right, but give me Revlon over that any day.

Also seems to be a case of some brands working for some people and not others. For instance, MAC's studio fix foundations and sheer pressed powders cause chaos and mayhem on my skin, turning it into an emo, flaky, dry mess, but other people have excellent results. I also have one of their lipsticks (creme de nude) and it sucks horribly. So does the lustreglass I have. The only thing I like from them is the eyeshadows, pigments and their penultimate eyeliner which is sorta ok.

Back