In your opinion, worst high end cosmetics brand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Clinique face products but not their cosmetics. I think the only product I have actively shopped for and been excited for are their shimmer squares. I love those since they are squares made of three different shades so you can use it as a blush/bronzer and eye shadow.

I have to say that I don't dislike any one entire line, but I do have a few awful ones from a lot of different lines.

Chanel foundations are just bad for my skin - gunk up and make me look like I have literally taken a trowel and piled it on.

Bare Essentials MMU foundation - OMG horrible! I looked like an ashen dicso ball if such a thing is possible. Every flaw was magnified.

Philosophy makeup is awful but I love their skincare.

There are others but these stand out for me.

i think the worst high end for ME would be Lancome i just don't like they're eyeshadows hey just dont blend as nice as Mac eyeshadows

MAC's foundations, as another poster has said, can cause horrible things on the skin, which is why I love Clinique for foundations and powders: they give me great looking skin without breaking me out - you have to choose the right one though for your skin type. I think their skincare line is absolutely horrific for my sensitive skin though, which is ironic considering the whole "we're allergen-free!" thing.

Clinique Eyeshadows can be either perfect if you want a subtle look (like me and using a MAC Shadestick in Beige-ing underneath works absolutely amazing for them) or horrible if you have no primer and expect dramatic results and high pigmentation. They are not like MAC eyeshadows at all: more like DIOR with even less pigmentation haha

I got some cheap Stila eyeshadows at Nordstrom Rack and absolutely love them, but Stila pressed powder smells horrible and doesn't do a thing. I don't like their lipglosses so much either.

CHANEL has the worst foundation ever. It smells like house paint and, as you can imagine, gave me incredibly bad breakouts.

Too Faced's shadow insurance is good and so is their eyeshadow & makeup brushes, but their packaging is so incredibly cheap and really just quite lousy.

I love Benefit's lipsticks because they're so moisturizing, but Benefit is perhaps the worst for being overpriced, focusing so much on their packaging and not their actual products. Erase Paste is perhaps the worst sticky mess of a concealer I've ever tried in my LIFE, and their other weird pseudo-foundations, what are they called, Boi-Ing and Get Gorgeous? Same deal as the Erase Paste. Yuck.

This thread is really useful and I'm loving reading everyone's responses <3

I agree with benefit. none of their products show up on me. the browzings and hoola bronzer despite good reviews.

Benefit, no doubt. The packaging is super cute but the product is horrible. It took me a few tries with benefit to learn my lesson, because I kept getting drawn in by the adorable packaging.

I've wanted to get Benefit's stuff but I never did because I feel like I'd be wasting money lol.

Benefit's bad gal lash was horrid and Lancome's mascaras are hard as a rock with absolutely no flexibility in my opinion. Make up forever's powders are very hard to blend and come out blotchy on the T-Zone.

Suprised too faced is getting such a bad rep, yeah they are pretty much a low end urban decay and can never live up but they are not "a bad brand"...I find the pigment in alot of their eye shadow great and shadow insurance is my fave eyeshadow primer.

Benefit is awful. Their products though packaged prettily are alot of the times useless. I find their colour selection once you get away from their gimmicky products to be dull and boring. Was looking at their Christmas sets recently and it's like thirty five euro for the tinest sized portions of their tints and lipgloss. Think a tube about the size of half your baby finger. Also anyone else think all thier new perfumes smell like pepper?

not saying all these dont have at least 1 good product, but these are the ones i think are overrated from using on myself/in my kit

Lancome

Chanel

Benefit

Clinique

YSL

Bobbi Brown

MAC

Lauder

I love Stila's smudge pots but other folks have complained about it, well, smudging. I don't really consider Benefit high end, but I do find it hard to be a fan of any of their products. I also tend to not check out brands that don't have deep skin tone options in terms of foundation (yeah, I'm looking at you Chanel and Shiseido
idiot.gif
). I wore a Guerlain lipstick for the first time ever and it was crap. Didn't stay in place for 15 minutes. Had to reapply before leaving the house. Next thing I know its all over my face. I also feel that Laura Mercier is over rated.

I actually like the fragrance "gina". I do agree tho, their stuff is a bit gimmicky/cutesy.

Originally Posted by nursie /img/forum/go_quote.gif is benefit cosmetics considered high end? the stuff i've bought from that line is just total crap, funky packaging with cheap isht inside. i buy nothing from them now. stilla always sucked i thought, i have a trio of their eyeshadows i found for 2 or 3 dollars at tjmaxx. I AGREE Benefits is bluk!! Crap I tell ya! Just CRAP!

Originally Posted by tstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif not saying all these dont have at least 1 good product, but these are the ones i think are overrated from using on myself/in my kit
Lancome

Chanel

Benefit

Clinique

YSL

Bobbi Brown

MAC

Lauder

OMG! Really? Love Mac, Love Chanel, Love Lancome!! Bobbi is ok.

Hmmm, I love Smashbox, Benefit & Too Faced. I think it's a case of finding the products that suit you best? My Too Faced palettes are amazing (Brow Envy & New Romantic) and such good quality. Benfit Bad Gal mascara is the best I've tried... I only own a couple of Smashbox items but I love their luminizing lotion and the palette I bought from lolab on here.....

My worst high end brand would have to be Bobbi Brown. For the price of their products you'd expect a bit more range. The colours are so dull and you get shades in their palettes that could be achieved by mixing two of the others. Total rubbish. Their brushes are so over priced too! I was looking at their 'deluxe' set (Cream Shadow, Eye Shader, Bronzer, Ultra Fine Eyeliner, Eye Shadow, Blush, Eye Smudge, and Eye Definer).... it's £180! I mean come on! That is an absolute joke!

I think most of the brands have good and bad stuff, I'm suprised Too Faced has had so many negative reviews, I've yet to use something by them that I dislike!

I've found the majority of Benefit's blushers to be disappointing (but I still buy them, what a loser!!) except Coralista but their foundation and cream shadows are love for me.

I think I'm going to go with Lancome, I just don't get the juicy tube hype and everything else I've tried from them has been so/so with the quality.

I agree that all brands have hits and misses, but I'm kind of surprised to hear how many people really dislike Clinique. They were my first department store brand and I still wear their foundation or TM, blush and bronzer every day and usually lip gloss and some other stuff too. I don't wear the eyeshadow as often because it's not very heavily pigmented, but their eyeliner is pretty good, I think.

Sephora brand is pretty bad, in my opinion - some of their pencils are okay, but their lipstick is super drying on me. I like some Lancome stuff, but it's overpriced for what you get. I don't usually buy it unless it's on clearance at TJMaxx or something. I also have the Too Faced Candlelight powder that I really like, but their eyeshadow doesn't impress me.

I don't hate one particular brand but rather a particular product. For me it is MAC foundations, it breaks me out something terrible. Benefit Mr or Dr Feelgood matte primer, broke me out. Benefit That Girl, it was just ridiculous on my skin tone, the SA saw me coming. Chanel mascara, not worth IMO. NARS foundation, I just don't like it. That's it for now.

actually i haven't ran across any bad high end brands...drug dtore bands on the other hand none of them are very good. I've got sephora brand, cargo, stila, chanel, mac and a few others and i adore all of them, i think they all make great products.

Originally Posted by gommiebears /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't hate one particular brand but rather a particular product. For me it is MAC foundations, it breaks me out something terrible. Benefit Mr or Dr Feelgood matte primer, broke me out. Benefit That Girl, it was just ridiculous on my skin tone, the SA saw me coming. Chanel mascara, not worth IMO. NARS foundation, I just don't like it. That's it for now. a lot of foundations suck

So much Clinique and Too Faced hate... LOL. I love Clinique foundations, because they've always worked well on me and others, and Too Faced shadows are very pigmented and last for hours.

Even though I have Stila shadows, I think they're ridiculously overpriced. I don't think I'll buy more, because you can have better results with the cheaper Mac shadows. However, I hate Mac foundations because they caused me breakouts. I suppose everyone has different reactions to products. What you hate might be what I love.
wink.gif

Back