Indie Perfumes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has someone posted a list of Indie Perfumers links yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
@@ohsailor BPAL does things a little differently than, say, Haus of Gloi.  They don't work from stock, and they don't exactly sell out.  For the most part, they make stuff after the order is placed.  Except for unexpected situations where they have to very abruptly discontinue something (and when this happens, you typically get no warning, and it can happen to *anything* at any time, including one of their most popular scents only partway through the fulfillment of existing orders), collections run according to dates.  The Ligeia, Halloweenie, and Yule scents are coming down February 5th, so you have until, uh, Thursday to order those.  The Lupercalia stuff hasn't even been made yet, and they don't come down until April, so, barring unforseen component issues that are impossible to predict, you have plenty of time.  Just keep in mind that if you wait a week, there's almost definitely no way you will get them before Valentine's Day.  TAT is not brief.

(And nosy time:  What do you want two bottles of?  I'm planning on getting two bottles of Creeper Dragon and maybe Signior Dildo, although I might hit decant leftovers for the latter.  The former is going to age like a dream, so I want a bottle to use now and a second to stash away unopened for as long as I can!  I need to test my decant of SD from two or three years ago and make sure it's something that also ages well since I won't be wearing the 2015 version this year if I do get it.  I also have ten I am thinking about getting decants of, but I'm still going back and forth on those.)
I wanted two bottles of Ivory Vulva, which I went ahead and got instead of two others I was thinking of, which I decided I will get later. Ivory Vulva just appeals to me in so many ways...

This was my very first BPAL order! This is my order in full:

Ivory Vulva x2

Comparison of Celebrated Beauties

Detestable Putrescence

Eat Me imp

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale imp

Alice imp 

Waitlisted for White Rabbit

What I still REALLY want:

Dulce Stil Nuovo**

For Each Ecstatic Moment**

Signior Dildo

Smut

Venis Genetrix

Aristocratic Couple**

Prosperous Flowers...**

**= I'll probably actually BUY

Also, I want EVERYTHING Only Lovers Left Alive and Good Omens, just because of what they are! 

Okay, I am slightly, slightly irritated that HoG seems to have been restocking throughout the afternoon - if that was a possibility, it would have been nice if they had included it in their announcements. I for one, don't have time to sit on the website and refresh for hours hoping the items I want get restocked, but I would check back a lot more frequently if I knew the possibility was there.

I don't know, I guess the past couple of releases from them have rubbed me a bit in the wrong way. I feel like they are still trying to treat their brand as if it has a very small following, which clearly isn't the case any more. :unsure: I keep getting the feeling that HoG doesn't want to be popular - like they don't want to "sell out" or whatever. I could be totally, totally off the mark, that is just the impression I get, for better or worse...

I TOTALLY get this irritation, but i think this could be said of a lot of indies. For example, the woman who runs Darling Clandestine (who IS a total sweetheart... when @@rachelshine wanted two items that were OOS, she found a way to find one for me and made another) flat-out told me that she wants to stay a one-woman operation, even if it means less sales, and that's why things are LE, because otherwise her TAT would go through the window. That sort of rubbed me the wrong way/broke my heart. I think in general LE is the most evil of all sales gimmicks (and I feel this way about ALL brands- from Urban Decay to HoG) but if you only have LE because you refuse to grow your business, even by just one person, and you therefore can't create enough for the demand? I guess I just don't understand that. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think it creates customer ill will, like how both you and Mari are feeling toward HoG right now. 

I TOTALLY get this irritation, but i think this could be said of a lot of indies. For example, the woman who runs Darling Clandestine (who IS a total sweetheart... when @rachelshines wanted two items that were OOS, she found a way to find one for me and made another) flat-out told me that she wants to stay a one-woman operation, even if it means less sales, and that's why things are LE, because otherwise her TAT would go through the window. That sort of rubbed me the wrong way/broke my heart. I think in general LE is the most evil of all sales gimmicks (and I feel this way about ALL brands- from Urban Decay to HoG) but if you only have LE because you refuse to grow your business, even by just one person, and you therefore can't create enough for the demand? I guess I just don't understand that. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think it creates customer ill will, like how both you and Mari are feeling toward HoG right now. 
I get that, about wanting to keep your operation small and what not, but if that's the case I would personally believe that you would try to stay small in both your customer base (which can't be controlled) and your internet social media presence (which can be). Going back to the DC example, she still operates on Etsy, has Facebook and then very recently integrated an Instagram. She's not actively trying to expand her customer base, it just happens through word of mouth.

HoG on the other hand operates from a stand-alone website (that recently got upgraded), has FB, a mailing list, Instagram and tumblr - that I know of. They are actively trying to increase their social media presence, are adding staff... all signs that point to a desire to increase sales and grow the business. Which is ALSO fine, but then they are not increasing the production capacity to match, which is unfair to the customers they are bringing in, both new and old.

So, that's my feelings... maybe it will change, maybe not. I am not boycotting HoG or anything! But I will stick to the permanent catalog items for the time being.

You make really valid points I hadn't thought about, but I don't know- it's not that I don't get not wanting to go from being a small business to some major corporation, but I can't wrap my head around not wanting to expand beyond ONE PERSON and being able to provide better for myself given the opportunity. 

And to HoG's benefit, DC flat-out said it. We're just guessing HoG's motivations. For all we know (and have heard!) their Valentine's line has never been nearly as big of a deal as their Autumn/Yule lines, so this might have come as a shock to them, and they're trying to make the best of a bad situation. They *are* releasing more, after all, just not everything.

I know you're not boycotting! My larger point is that i think this could be said of most indies we know of- how many would kill to get on most monthly subs? I guess it really comes down to cost vs benefit for them, and annoyance vs benefit for us :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So, I got my cocoa pink order yesterday.

Thanks ohsailor for the caramel popcorn balls rec! It kind of smells like lucky charms on me and I love it, so. Far I've also tried boo boo lemon Noel, which. Is really nice and smells like lemon cookies, and Haunted Carnival, which smells like cara,el apples and kettle corn, still have 3 to try :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The sample I got was black marshmallow body butter...and it smells exactly like play-doh until it dries down? So weird!

A heads up : Sugar and Spite is having a 10% off sale on their etsy site this weekend, code TAKETEN.  I'm a huge fan of their Nocturne scent, so I'm gonna get a bunch of samples of their other scents  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So I just showered and decided to try out the bpal Dorian that meaganola sent me and hot damn, need more of this in my life immediately!
Heh.  So was what I told you it smelled like remotely correct?  Because I have weird synesthesia that runs how I describe scent, and I have *no clue* whether it makes sense to anyone else.

(And the catch is that what I sent you is four and a half years old.  Aging does *magical* things to certain scents, and Dorian happens to be one of them.  If you order a bottle today, it's not going to smell quite the same.)

ETA:  Dorian was created for the perfumer's then-boyfriend/now-husband, Ted.  Although it was created for a guy, it is unisex, but not unisex like CK One.  It's more unisex like "everyone smells *amazing* in this stuff."

Heh.  So was what I told you it smelled like remotely correct?  Because I have weird synesthesia that runs how I describe scent, and I have *no clue* whether it makes sense to anyone else.

(And the catch is that what I sent you is four and a half years old.  Aging does *magical* things to certain scents, and Dorian happens to be one of them.  If you order a bottle today, it's not going to smell quite the same.)

ETA:  Dorian was created for the perfumer's then-boyfriend/now-husband, Ted.  Although it was created for a guy, it is unisex, but not unisex like CK One.  It's more unisex like "everyone smells *amazing* in this stuff."
Ha, yes, an apt description ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The only other one I've hadva chance to try so far is Dragon's Milk, which I really liked for the first couple of hours, but then it turned into the exact scent of the incense an ex used to burn all of the time, so then I felt a little weird about it...will still try a couple more times though!

I need more perfumes. I'm anxiously waiting for my HoG order since this is my first foray into perfume oil. I don't want to go too crazy and order too much stuff before I know if this is the life for me hahahh.

I need more perfumes. I'm anxiously waiting for my HoG order since this is my first foray into perfume oil. I don't want to go too crazy and order too much stuff before I know if this is the life for me hahahh.
I'm loving the cocoapink stuff I got and you can get 6 drams for 18 plus shipping! If you like gourmand scents they have soooooooo many!

Oooooo what did you order?

I'm wearing HoG blood orange marshmallow today and this stuff last so well!! Still smells like I just put it on

Oooooo what did you order?

I'm wearing HoG blood orange marshmallow today and this stuff last so well!! Still smells like I just put it on
I was so tempted to order all of the v-day perfumes, but I kept my first order small just to *make sure* I actually like the stuff first, so for perfume oils I'm waiting on Who Needs Love and Come Hither, but then I also got First Blush in the bubbling scrub, and Who Needs Love sugar exfoliant (this just sounds like it will be perfect) and a butter bomb in Pink Champagne.

I also got my scents from Alkemia. LOVE. The Moroccan Tea is my favorite ever. If you've ever shopped at Fresh & Easy and had the Moroccan Mint Tea, that is what this smells like plus some musk. It isn't super light, as if it would just disappear, it is grounded, but lovely and fresh. It is literally aromatherapy, so calming.
@@Shalott, I received my order today :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love the moroccan mint - I first smell the mint (which is more complex than peppermint) then the wonderful dry down of the tea

samples:

faerie queen - a light strawberry, a little vanilla, a little earthy with some patchouli - this is such a nice spring time scent  - it is not fruity or too vanilla - just the right mix

offering - very woodsy, resin with incense - this is just amazing and so sexy

I am going to be purchasing full sizes of those 2 samples - offering is sold out, but next paycheck - I will be asking her if she is going to restock that.

@@biancardi Yes, that's another thing I love - they send samples based on what seem to be your scent preferences! I've tried several I can't wait to get in full size! Offering sounds amazing, too - I might see if I can't get a sample of that one as well. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back