Indie Perfumes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I collected BPAL 2005-2010 and have a box packed full of LEs and 'rare' oils I'll never be brave enough to actually use because they're hen's teeth.  Sigh.
Get an oil diffuser, put a little water into the bowl part of it, add a few drops of oil, light your candle and enjoy the bouquet!

CocoaPink all the way. I have never found a better pumpkin/marshmallow/fireside fragrance than Bonfire Pumpkins, at all. Cinderella's Carriage and Come-hither are some of my other favorites. I love their hair & body spray!! It's perfect. They will also mae you a custom scent.

shopbelleandblaire and Haus of Gloi are two of my other favorites, as is Alchemic Muse, but I have MANY etsy stores I shop from. I find if you're looking for a specific scent, search etsy and just go for it if you find something that looks amazing. I have discovered TEN stores in the last two months by just trying them out.

I am actually fine with alcohol AND oil - I've noticed that some scents that I *love* with alcohol smell like death warmed over with the same oils in an oil carrier. I actually noticed this because of Cocoa Pink, when I saw that they had an alcohol option and the difference was night and day.

And will someone please talk about DC's My Lady Ser with me? I know Grace was supposed to be the shizz but I am all about Ser, all the time! :wub:

This is very true. I also feel like oils are much more fickle than alcohol- some scents that I LOVE will smell horrible to me during certain times of the month, and I very rarely noticed that in alcohol form. ButI the oils can provide my favorite scents with more warmth and can make them feel more natural, somehow. They both have pros and cons and there is definitely reason to have both :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, haha, this is very funny because I also found out about BPAL wayyy back in the day from LiveJournal (I think mostly Livejournal_drama, since there seemed to ALWAYS be drama surrounding trades and/or someone always ripping off other people with them. I would like to try them, but the selection is so overwhelming and it's hard for me to search in any real way to find any scents I'd be interested in. I really want to try them.

It amazes me that I haven't tried BPAL yet...I've known about them since way back in the day, talking about makeup and perfume in communities on Livejournal! But I've never taken the jump. I think it's because it's just so overwhelming...there's just so much! And I've never had a chance to smell anything of theirs in person to even get me started in the right direction!

One day! Or maybe I'll get a BPAL veteran in a SS exchange here sometime.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very true. I also feel like oils are much more fickle than alcohol- some scents that I LOVE will smell horrible to me during certain times of the month, and I very rarely noticed that in alcohol form. But the oils can provide my favorite scents with more warmth and can make them feel more natural, somehow. They both have pros and cons and there is definitely reason to have both :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I've noticed that, too! I have some foodie scents from CocoaPink that turned synthetic and plastic-y on me when I first tried them, but I've discovered that if I wear them during my time of the month, they actually smell really good. So now it's like a treat that I get to wear them whenever I get my monthlies, haha - it makes it a little more bearable.

LOL, it seems like everyone discovered BPAL from LiveJournal. I remember back in the way, way, back day I had a friend who always talked about them - this had to be around 2005 or so because that was when I met her on a separate forum and she raved about them, and convinced me to buy... something. I wish I could go back to those posts and see what it was, but her journal has since been deleted.

Anyways, I hated it, and I was immature and knew nothing about anything, so I contacted BPAL to see what I should do and they were so rude and condescending, like I was personally offending them by not liking the scent that I was disgusted and turned off and have vowed to never buy/trade for their products again. And I haven't.

It is so immature now, and the whole thing is something I would never do now that I understand basically how everything works in the world but yeah... I can't bring myself to wear BPAL and that is it.

Wow, I'm absolutely shocked to hear that BPAL CS was rude!  I've never had anything but fantastic interactions with them, down to getting an abrupt "I know that tattoo!" (my avatar over on that forum is of my forearm tattoo, and when I meet other people from there in person, it's like my tattoo is its own person that they have to meet) and "I thought I recognized you!" followed by hugs at a very busy con by both Beth (the owner) and Ted (her husband) while I was in the middle of attempting to sniff a few things at their booth.  They actually set the standard for me as far as indies go in that area. 

To be fair I was ~around~ 21 at the time, so my ability to gauge a person's actual intention vs. my opinion was probably not the best. I don't blame anyone for liking the brand or expect anyone to have a similar experience.

Actually just the other day I was browsing the BPAL site thinking I'd give it another chance but I got so overwhelmed and my anxiety kicked in hard core, and that old resentment flared up and it was just... not good. Maybe someday, I definitely won't rule anything out!

LOL that's when I discovered BPAL in 2005 too! Via LiveJournal. I'm not going to lie- I thought the entire thing was bizarre, like people FREAKING OUT over perfumes (seriously LJ_drama!) and I had no interest in it, but I trust the ladies of this forum intrinsically, 

So, I'm looking for some recommendations! Currently, I'm wanting scents that are interesting and good for winter. I like warm scents, foodie and sweet scents, some fruit, lots of vanilla, notes like pumpkin and marshmallow and I'm also loving "evocative" scents, think leather, old books, etc. I like some woods, spices. I'm not huge into strong florals unless it's pure fresh rose or balanced out by something more interesting. I love things that transform on your skin as you wear them.

So, any suggestions? 
Solstice Scents sounds like it would be right up your alley...Owl Creek Aleworks is awesome, they have all kinds of old book kinds of scents. Lots of great gourmands, including pumpkin, and they have their winter collection out now.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations! Currently, I'm wanting scents that are interesting and good for winter. I like warm scents, foodie and sweet scents, some fruit, lots of vanilla, notes like pumpkin and marshmallow and I'm also loving "evocative" scents, think leather, old books, etc. I like some woods, spices. I'm not huge into strong florals unless it's pure fresh rose or balanced out by something more interesting. I love things that transform on your skin as you wear them.

So, any suggestions?
First, try Sabra Coco from A Wing And A Prayer. It comes in a spray form (it seems she only does oils for international customers becasue of postal regs) but her sprays are all subtle and lack the "bite" that can sometimes come with alcohol. This one is orange chocolate with a speck of spice! It's my new favorite. AWAAP is a little pricier than most indies, but she has great specials--you can get three 1/8 oz sprays of your choice for $15, and until the end of the month 3 1/4 oz sprays for $45. I have four of her scents and I find that all are natural, do not inflame my husband's allergies, and have excellent staying power. Her Caliente is spicy and warm without being overpowering, and a fine choice for winter.

I am picky in my foodie scents and my favorite is lemon sugar or the lemon-cookie-ness of the sadly discontinued Hello Sugar from Bath and Body Works. Blushie makes a lovely sweet Lemon Creme perfume oil, as does Orange Thyme; Sakura Bath and Body has one called Sugar Sugar which is a little more heavy on the sweet-crust smell and a little lighter on the lemon, but still very tasty.

Solstice Scents sounds like it would be right up your alley...Owl Creek Aleworks is awesome, they have all kinds of old book kinds of scents. Lots of great gourmands, including pumpkin, and they have their winter collection out now.
Ooh, thank you! I've been eyeballing some things from Solstice, but I haven't heard of Owl Creek! Checking them out asap! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ooh, thank you! I've been eyeballing some things from Solstice, but I haven't heard of Owl Creek! Checking them out asap! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Owl Creek Aleworks is one of the Solstice Scents perfumes! I don't know how stock is on it right now, but you can pretty much see the whole list of what they have in the perfume sample listing of your choosing. Owl Creek is also under the Foxcroft Autumn Festival section of the site, and winter stuff is there as well!

Owl Creek Aleworks is one of the Solstice Scents perfumes! I don't know how stock is on it right now, but you can pretty much see the whole list of what they have in the perfume sample listing of your choosing. Owl Creek is also under the Foxcroft Autumn Festival section of the site, and winter stuff is there as well!
OHH, I see. Thanks! Going directly on my "to buy" list.

As if that needs to get any longer, but still. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also found out about BPAL wayyy back in the day from LiveJournal (I think mostly Livejournal_drama, since there seemed to ALWAYS be drama
Oh dear me, yes.  Something about the "gotta catch 'em all" mindset of BPAL and its appeal to the more Goth end of the social spectrum* made the LJ communities real drama and snark magnets in the mid '00s.  

Some sections of the BPAL forum weren't much better at the time; I believe they instituted some firm rules about pricing after one too many people decanted a rare 5ml LE and priced the resulting sample-sized "imps" at $50 each. 

Wearing Shub-Niggurath today. I think I have 4 bottles of it last time I checked.

* a goth community was definitely how I found out about BPAL.

I GOT MY DEBAUCHEROUS ORDER TODAY!!! She sent some extra samples, and one, Joyeux Noel smells soooo good. What a bummer I won't order from them again. But the products I did order, the Sankt Nikolaus scents, are amazing. Honestly, probably one of my favorite Holiday scents thus far.

Gah. It makes me so happy, yet so sad. I will be wearing the crap out of Sankt Nikolaus though, I can tell you that!

I finally got shipping for my Haus of Gloi order! It's too bad that once I get it, it'll be too late to rebuy the yule scents I got if I love them...BUT, I got a couple of non-yules, and I'm excited to check out their quality, etc. 

I got my first order from Solstice Scents this weekend. TAT was super fast - only a few days. I ordered a pack of 10 samples, and got a free sample, plus an extra free sample for making my first order. (Thanks again @@marigoldsue for telling me about the extra free sample!) I haven't tried wearing any of them yet, but I've opened them and sniffed them, and they all smell really good! I got mostly gourmand scents - I used to think I didn't like gourmands, but indies have really changed my mind about that.

I got my first order from Solstice Scents this weekend. TAT was super fast - only a few days. I ordered a pack of 10 samples, and got a free sample, plus an extra free sample for making my first order. (Thanks again @@marigoldsue for telling me about the extra free sample!) I haven't tried wearing any of them yet, but I've opened them and sniffed them, and they all smell really good! I got mostly gourmand scents - I used to think I didn't like gourmands, but indies have really changed my mind about that.
Credit for the extra sample wit first order needs to go to @rachelshine.  I was just passing along what she told me :)

I just ordered the 10 sample pack from Solstice Scents, so with that, the free sample, and the first order sample, I'll have 12 new scents to play with...and my HoG order should be in tomorrow. I should be smelling really nice, soon!

Oh crap I completely forgot about my solstice order. Hopefully it shows up soon!!

Back