Indie Perfumes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used HoG Sweet Potato Treat today and ended up loving it! I wasn't sure at first, because while it smells sweet and buttery and marshmallowy in the vial, the first couple of minutes on my skin it was cinnamon overload...I like cinnamon, but it was SUPER cinnamon! But it mellowed pretty quickly and just smelled really good. Might consider getting a full size of this one next year.

So, I ordered from Solstice Scents last night and I got shipping already today! Pretty impressed with that. And pretty excited to try some of those scents! (Library? Kitchen? Maine Moon? Yes please!)
Let me know what you think of kitchen! It's on my list of ones to try.

I got my BV order today too! My sample was... Celebration. :lol: Maybe it is my destiny to love it? I do love the GDE GWP though, and my full size of Valley of the Temples basically makes life okay again. I am also in love with Affogato, but I am going to have to give Yule Nog a decent wear - hard to tell if it will be good or not from just a cold sniff.

I also picked up something as a gift... but I really love it. I'm a terrible person, and I might keep it for myself. Not sure yet, still some time to decide. :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Seriously though, Valley of the Temples is my favorite of everything I have tried so far - it smells so similar to something I can't quite put my finger on, but better. I adore it. :wub:

I started to get jealous of your Celebration sample, but I got it in a body butter, and...  not me.  I actually also ordered (and so actually paid for) some Bavarian Apfel Cider perfume oil, and I'm not sure I like that one, either.  Oscuro might actually be the dark horse winner.  This seems pretty typical of my perfume blind-buy experience:  I order a few scents that sound *amazing*, but the thing I actually like is the free sample!

Tried Parkin today (from HoG Yule) and it's the first one I'm not crazy about.  It smells good in the vial and when I first put it on, but then it gets flat. It pretty much smells like I'm sniffing some straight up dried pumpkin pie spice, there's no warmth or depth on me.

It doesn't smell BAD, and I'm sure I'll finish the sample, but it's definitely not one I'm trying again. I kind of expected this one to be one of my favorites...isn't that usually how it goes?

Uh... I desperately hope this is a very brief portion of the wet phase that goes away very soon: I'm trying Oscuro today, and my nose is reading something about it as pee.

Uh... I desperately hope this is a very brief portion of the wet phase that goes away very soon: I'm trying Oscuro today, and my nose is reading something about it as pee.
Ahhh no!! I haaaate when perfumes turn to cat pee, baby powder, or really creamy on me. 

I can handle when things turn creamy and I can handle a bit of baby powder...but I HATE when things turn to cat pee, and my chemistry also has a tendency to turn certain cinnamon/spice notes to "potpourri section at the craft store at christmastime" and it becomes so overpowering and nauseating!

Lady Grey went medicinal on my wrist, but oils smell different on different parts of my body, so I'll have to retry another day.

I can handle when things turn creamy and I can handle a bit of baby powder...but I HATE when things turn to cat pee, and my chemistry also has a tendency to turn certain cinnamon/spice notes to "potpourri section at the craft store at christmastime" and it becomes so overpowering and nauseating!
Oh my gosh, I know the cat pee well. EVERYTHING smells like cat pee to me, I think it is the end result of having an intact male cat who marked all over before we had him neutered. :sick: But usually what I think smells like cat pee, my hubby doesn't smell it at all, so I know it is just me!

I got my Solstice Scents order today and I have so many samples to try now (12! Yum!)

I have a bit of a sinus infection going now so my smelling probably isn't up to par right now...BUT I put on a bit of Sycamore Sugarworks (Caramelized pear tarts, banana apple muffins, spice cakes with rum glaze, cream puffs, and maple walnut pastries.) and it is amaaaazing.  I really do smell almost all of those things and none of the notes are overwhelming, and it isn't toothache inducing sweet. So excited to try the others now.

Who can help me make a man smell good, indie-style??? An old friend has fallen on some crappy times and wants to be cheered up with some new fragrance. He particularly likes vanilla notes, either a very straight vanilla with few competing elements or a rich vanilla-spice blend.

Who can help me make a man smell good, indie-style??? An old friend has fallen on some crappy times and wants to be cheered up with some new fragrance. He particularly likes vanilla notes, either a very straight vanilla with few competing elements or a rich vanilla-spice blend.
Solstice Scents and Possets are supposed to have good vanilla notes as well as a variety of vanilla-containing perfumes. I haven't tried either of those brands though.  I would recommend DC Hellbender (toasty ginger that turns into smooth warm vanilla, could probably be unisex) and (non-indie) Atelier Vanille Insensee.

I got my Haus of Gloi order on Friday and have been slowly testing out my perfume samples. I thought it was a win/win because I would be able to try out a bunch of new perfumes and get an idea of what scents I liked for when I actually need more bath and body products. 

So far I find their fruit scents aren't what I expected, but I really like their desserty scents (which is uncommon for me when it comes to perfumes)

Solstice Scents!!  Here are two I've alreadytried that I think many men could work with...but you should read through their catalog, too!

JACK & THE DEVIL* ~ Vanilla, tobacco, oakmoss, amber, Patchouli, pumpkin and soft spice. Contains vanilla, tobacco and oakmoss absolute with patchouli essential oil and fragrance oils.

VANILLA PIPE TOBACCO (Premium Fragrance)* ~Vanilla Absolute, Tobacco Absolute, Tonka Bean Absolute & Sweet Clover Absolute.

BPAL Dorian! It was designed for the owner's now-husband, but it's a very unisex scent (I've had people follow me down the street to let me know how much they like this):

A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

@@Bflopolska, first off Jack and the Devil is amazing. I use it for myself :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :p Also, check out Haus of Gloi and see if they have any of their Autumn scents still in stock. Tobac and Horsemen are wonderful. I personally love Tobac on myself, but gave Horsemen to my bae. He smells so delicious. 

I've tried some more of my samples this week!

HoG Eggnoggin - I was bummed by this one. I like eggnog and had high hopes, but on me it smells a lot like some sort of medicinal ointment? A very specific one, but I can't place it. After it's been on for a while it softens a bit but still smells ointment-y, until the very end when it smells like vanilla and nutmeg. I won't be purchasing any more of this one.

Solstice Scents:

Jack & The Devil - I was hoping to get a bit more of the pumpkin note of this one, but on me it just smells like patchouli and tobacco. Which is still nice, it smells like I've been snuggling with a babely man. I want to try mixing this one with some others. 

Library - This does smell just like a library. It's a bit masculine for me to wear alone, but I want to try mixing it a bit. You can really smell the paper, the dust, the leather. I like it, but not sure about a full size.

Kitchen - really loved this one! I smelled like warm spice breads and pumpkin, with a bit of the smoke at the end. I might buy more of this one.

Cellar - A surprise hit. I mean, I am in love with this. It smells like fresh, cold apples being stored in a cold stone cellar. Exactly. You can smell the damp stone, the earth, and the fall air I thought it sounded like I wouldn't like it, but I am in love and intend to buy this one full sized. 

Blackburn's Parlor - Yum! I smelled like a banana split when I wore this - the slightest hint of fresh sliced banana (yes, it smelled sliced), chocolate, and the vanilla. My one complaint was that this one didn't last long. But it smells really good.

Sycamore Sugarworks - Another yummy ones. I mostly smell the banana apple muffins and spice cakes.

*sigh*  I desperately wish Possets' website was easier to deal with.  I just want a list of oil names and their notes!  I don't like having to click on *every single scent* to see what's in them.  It's one thing if there are only a dozen or so.  Possets has *hundreds* of scents.  And they don't even group things into collections, so you can't even sort out the ones based on composers, specific songs, the states, authors, colors, etc., that I *know* are considered parts of specific collections.

Back