Indie Perfumes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 I saw on Facebook today that there were quite a few customers waiting for Halochrome, so I'm not sure if she meant waiting in the sense of waiting for their package, or waiting as in waiting for the last release. I got the sense that it was the latter but you may be right. *shrugs*
Oh I just checked the fb page and it sounds like she's making more??  I really hope you get it in that case, Halochrome is pretty awesome. I managed to get some during Shark Friday and I really like it.  :wub:

Has anyone on this thread had experience making diffuser scents from indie perfumes? I'm thinking of those liquids that you stick the sticks into (not sure if diffuser is the right term or not). I was thinking that that might be a nice use for my scents that I don't love on my skin but generally like! But I'm not sure what I would combine the perfume with and in what proportions!

Has anyone on this thread had experience making diffuser scents from indie perfumes? I'm thinking of those liquids that you stick the sticks into (not sure if diffuser is the right term or not). I was thinking that that might be a nice use for my scents that I don't love on my skin but generally like! But I'm not sure what I would combine the perfume with and in what proportions!
I put those type of scents in my tart burner with a bit of olive oil and use them til they stop producing scent. I haven't tried a diffuser. 

I purchased several indie scents last fall and I guess I am not good at deciphering what the scents will smell like IRL. Obviously scents are very individual to people and what I like may not be liked by others. But, I did scour the descriptions and don't feel like some of the scent descriptions were very accurate. I own several perfumes and wear perfume nearly every day. Here's what I bought

House of Gloi:

Spider Silk Perfume Oil - tolerable, mostly mint and amber, not noticing any of the other scents listed, didn't last long, 2 hours tops

Persephone's Descent Perfume Oil - didn't get to try - company refunded because they ran out of stock
Haus Amber Perfume Oil - barely tolerable, heavy on something I don't like, perhaps patchouli, even though it wasn't listed on the ingredients

Cozy Sweater Perfume Oil - barely tolerable, lasted about 2 hours

Alchemic Muse

Nevermore: tolerable, very herby

Deadwood: dubbed urinal cake by my teenagers - honestly that is exactly what this scent smells like, later drys down to an undesirable powder scent; I had to wash this one off as it was giving me a headache

Amber Crush - heavy on the patchouli, I should not have tried this one as I don't care for patchouli

free scent: pumpkin chai: heavy cinnamon scent, not tolerable, arrived broken so I tossed the glass shards and put the remaining scent on a cotton ball so I could smell it for awhile and get an idea of the scent

Pink Bow

Island Kiss - fruity floral with a hint of musk, I like it, lasted 4-5 hours

White Cotton Sundresses: this one is okay, straight up peonies

Kai - i guess this is an imitation of a popular fragrance, it's okay, very floral

freebies: chocolate hazelnut - smells like coffee to me, don't love it or hate it, wouldn't buy it; and pumpkin cheesecake-mostly smells like sweet pumpkin, not a fan but I don't generally care for food scents

The two freebies (very generous size) were body butter which I found to be very moisturizing and a little greasy at first but absorbed within 5 minutes. 

Pink Bow's descriptions were more accurate (to my nose) and I received at least 4x more fragrance for the price compared to the other two companies. All of their fragrances were wearable, whereas I would not wear just one of the scents from the other two companies. 

I think I'm done with indie scents for awhile. I'm on a no-buy and I purchased a total of 12 scents ($50), including freebies, and there is only one I would consider purchasing again. Kind of disappointing as I was hoping to discover some new loves. I own 20-25 scents (floral, fruit, amber, etc) and thought I would find more that appealed to me.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear Nevermore and Deadwood didn't work for you, @@page5! Those are two of my favorites from Alchemic Muse - on me Nevermore smells really earthy with a hint of apple. It always reminds me of Snow White! And Deadwood smells like hay and sunshine and leather - it always takes me back to when I was a teen working on a horse ranch. You're right though, everything is so subjective that it is really hard to know what scents will work for you and which ones won't. :smilehappyyes:

And in case anyone else is wondering - I contacted Evonne like @@Tamarin suggested and she will have more Halochrome! She's waiting on a couple more ingredients before she lists the finished product and speculated it will be a few more weeks. So excited! :w00t: I said it before, but I was totally kicking myself for not getting it on Shark Friday.

I'm still learning what kind of scents work on me and what ones don't, when it comes to perfume oils. It's hard! I wish I had a way to sniff a ton of individual notes (ones I'm not familiar with) because it's hard to discern exactly what note you don't agree with in a blend, sometimes. For example, when I see different types of resins and woods, things like myrrh...I don't know what, say, the difference between rosewood and agarwood is, for example.

So far, I'm learning that my body chemistry magnifies cinnamon/spice notes so much that those notes tend to overtake the rest...and scents heavy on patchouli also tend to smell like patchouli and nothing else (which isn't always bad, but kind of disappointed when I was excited about other parts of the fragrance.)

I'm still learning what kind of scents work on me and what ones don't, when it comes to perfume oils. It's hard! I wish I had a way to sniff a ton of individual notes (ones I'm not familiar with) because it's hard to discern exactly what note you don't agree with in a blend, sometimes. For example, when I see different types of resins and woods, things like myrrh...I don't know what, say, the difference between rosewood and agarwood is, for example.

So far, I'm learning that my body chemistry magnifies cinnamon/spice notes so much that those notes tend to overtake the rest...and scents heavy on patchouli also tend to smell like patchouli and nothing else (which isn't always bad, but kind of disappointed when I was excited about other parts of the fragrance.)
I find it easier if I remember agarwood as oud - on me it has a really kind of "fresh" woody scent, as opposed to rosewood which is more of a "woody" woody scent. That doesn't really help your scent preferences, but maybe at least thinking of it without the "wood" name will help you remember that the two are separate notes? Which will further help you determine which works better for you? ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I find it easier if I remember agarwood as oud - on me it has a really kind of "fresh" woody scent, as opposed to rosewood which is more of a "woody" woody scent. That doesn't really help your scent preferences, but maybe at least thinking of it without the "wood" name will help you remember that the two are separate notes? Which will further help you determine which works better for you? ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Those two were just an example (I find that I tend to like most wood notes) but,I mean, I can read descriptions and that's fine but I'm one of those people who does better being able to smell them myself, I always find that things smell different than I expect them to by description. Some kind of disconnect between my brain and nose, lol!

I'm familiar with common notes like sandalwood, etc but the indies use so many different, less common notes and I wish I had access to single note examples of all the notes just so I can kind of create an idea of what the final fragrance might smell like in my mind, you know?

It's not a huge deal when it comes to companies like Solstice Scents and Haus of Gloi, their selection isn't TOO massive and so many of them are kind of "vibe" related so I can imagine what they might smell like...."Library", "Cellar", etc.

But when it comes to things like BPAL? That's when I get overwhelmed because there are SO MANY NOTES I'm unfamiliar with and I just don't even know where to start! It won't stop me, but I could probably save some money if there was a "intro to perfume notes for dummies" kit!

I've only seen scattered _Elementary_ eps at my aunt's when my neighbor decides he wants to watch it (she saves it on her dvr for him).  I don't have a tv, CBS doesn't do Hulu or much Netflix streaming, and if I can't add it to my Hulu or Netflix queue, I'm never going to bother watching it.  One of these days, I might get around to renting it by the season (there's a video store here that does full seasons of shows, $5 for five days), but I have other things I have to rent first, like _Orphan Black_ and the rest of _The Wire_.
The Wire aka the best show ever :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love it!! I am biased, I tend to love all Sherlock themed anything, but I love what they did with the Sherlock world. Plus making Watson AND Moriarty women?! Yes!!!
Yessss

I am not a Sherlock fan AT ALL, but I do love Elementary. I am a big fan of Lucy Liu (since Charlie's Angels movie, ha ha) and of course Jonny Lee Miller is impeccable. I was a little older in 1995 when Hackers came out but I've seen so many of his movies and shows, I will watch anything he's in. (Trainspotting? Eli Stone? Gimme.) but the series premise its self doesn't interest me and I wouldn't have watched but for the cast. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Haven't kept up this month because I don't have time to sit down and watch TV so I rely on DVR, Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon Prime and none of them have it (well my DVR is full of kids stuff), and I've been too lazy to visit my illegal streaming haunts so yeah.

I saw on Facebook today that there were quite a few customers waiting for Halochrome, so I'm not sure if she meant waiting in the sense of waiting for their package, or waiting as in waiting for the last release. I got the sense that it was the latter but you may be right. *shrugs*
I remember going to see Hackers alone, in sixth grade, b/c I was such a nerd/loser haha :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

To make this post relevant at all, it's amazing to me how much scents change for me during the month. I bought a scent I loved- LOVED- but since I'm on my period this week, it smells like sick to me. Like puke, seriously. THAT much of a change. So, if something doesn't appeal to you, try again in a week or two just to be sure :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
To make this post relevant at all, it's amazing to me how much scents change for me during the month. I bought a scent I loved- LOVED- but since I'm on my period this week, it smells like sick to me. Like puke, seriously. THAT much of a change. So, if something doesn't appeal to you, try again in a week or two just to be sure :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I just experienced this with SS Jack & The Devil - the first time I tried it, it just smelled like an old man swimming in patchouli...tried it again and it smelled so good. Bodies are weird!

To make this post relevant at all, it's amazing to me how much scents change for me during the month. I bought a scent I loved- LOVED- but since I'm on my period this week, it smells like sick to me. Like puke, seriously. THAT much of a change. So, if something doesn't appeal to you, try again in a week or two just to be sure
So much this!  Skin chemistry can change with all sorts of things, down to what you eat and drink or what medications you take.  There are certain things I can't wear if I've recently eaten pizza from the place down the street from me, and there are certain things I can wear in the winter but not the summer.  I've actually had to sniff my way through five or six different scents in the morning before I found one I could wear that particular day, and they're all scents I can wear at some point, but just not *that* particular day.  There are quite a few people who have special Shark Week (or ovulation time, which is my big problem.  It's not my body chemistry exactly, but my sense of smell goes on *overdrive* then.  I can smell garbage cans from a block away sometimes) collections because of this!

I remember going to see Hackers alone, in sixth grade, b/c I was such a nerd/loser haha :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
My hubby and I sometimes talk in Hackers (and the other stupid movies we love) quotes to each other, exclusively. We can have a whole conversation in movie quotes, LOL. He told me once that he knew he wanted to marry me when he came to my house and saw that I had Hackers on VHS - he'd previously never met anyone who had seen it! :lol:

My sense of smell goes off the chain when I am sick. If there is a candle, or perfume I like I have to avoid wearing it at all costs because otherwise it will smell disgusting for the rest of my days. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Unfortunately this happened with one of the HoG Yule scents - which one... argh, can't remember, I've stored it in hopes time will heal my disgust. (spoiler alert: it won't.)

I got my Midnight Gypsy Alchemy order yesterday, and so far I'm really happy with it.  I got the sample pack of the winter collection, and she also included a free sample.  The packaging is great, and includes cards with the scent descriptions on them, which is awesome for me since I always forget what I ordered and need to go back and look up the descriptions!  So far I've only tried one of the scentes, Winter Gypsy, and I'm really liking it so far.  Lots of clove and cinnamon on me at first, then more pear after dry down.  I want to lick myself, but I'm refraining :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got my Midnight Gypsy Alchemy order yesterday, and so far I'm really happy with it.  I got the sample pack of the winter collection, and she also included a free sample.  The packaging is great, and includes cards with the scent descriptions on them, which is awesome for me since I always forget what I ordered and need to go back and look up the descriptions!  So far I've only tried one of the scentes, Winter Gypsy, and I'm really liking it so far.  Lots of clove and cinnamon on me at first, then more pear after dry down.  I want to lick myself, but I'm refraining :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks for making me look at their site! OMG, they have free international shipping! They'll be getting my money :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I ordered bitsies from Darling Clandestine yesterday.  Haus of Gloi is the only other place I've gotten perfume oils from (Tobac, Spider Silk, Pumpkin Queen, Persephone's Descent, Ghost Puffs.) So, these DC scents will be my first really outside the box ones. I got Don Gato and Vortex--hoping they ship soon! 

I ordered bitsies from Darling Clandestine yesterday.  Haus of Gloi is the only other place I've gotten perfume oils from (Tobac, Spider Silk, Pumpkin Queen, Persephone's Descent, Ghost Puffs.) So, these DC scents will be my first really outside the box ones. I got Don Gato and Vortex--hoping they ship soon! 
Ohhhh definitely let us know how they are! I think I might make a CocoaPink order this week, if I have enough spending money after I pay my dreaded bills.

@@kaitlin1209 yaaaas, I hope you love DC. Her scents are amazing, odd, crazy, and awesome! Supernova sway is one of my top faves from her. And Hellbender. If you can score yourself some Hellbender (it's seasonal) you will be forever happy. 

Latest posts

Back