Indie Perfumes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my HoG with no shipping notice, weird. Save the body stuff for the other thread but my Hearth and Parkin perfumes are soooo much better than everything from the first round. I think I mentioned before but there is just something HoG does to their deeper scents that does not work well on me at all. i may have to get my hands on some vials so I can do decants of some of the other scents, if any one would be interested. I'd be decanting:

Wintervale

Snow Wolf

Three Treasures

So, it is not a for sure thing, but if there is interest, I will look into it.

Hearth was my free sample in my order and it's so freaking ODD on me.

I get nothing but smoke at first (I'm assuming that's the roasty nuts or whatever)...then after 10 minutes or so it turns sweet and vaguely heavy apple? Strangest thing in the world.

Oh dear me, yes.  Something about the "gotta catch 'em all" mindset of BPAL and its appeal to the more Goth end of the social spectrum* made the LJ communities real drama and snark magnets in the mid '00s.  

Some sections of the BPAL forum weren't much better at the time; I believe they instituted some firm rules about pricing after one too many people decanted a rare 5ml LE and priced the resulting sample-sized "imps" at $50 each. 

Wearing Shub-Niggurath today. I think I have 4 bottles of it last time I checked.

* a goth community was definitely how I found out about BPAL.
Yeah, I remember those days... pretty insane. :/

Hey there! I'm wondering if someone can help me out with a sample I got that is puzzling me. Here is the description I found using Google, stating that it's an old (2011) Yule scent from Possets. But the label clearly says BPAL on it!

The label overall is different from Possets' other labels, which have a picture, name, no description, and their website on it. This label has "Ergot" in a script-like font, and "BPAL" on the other side, along with a description of the scent (verbatim for the website linked earlier).

I'm sort of confused about how I got my hands on a scent from 2011, but people stash things for a long time I suppose! It's not like I can purchase it anymore, but this is really puzzling me.

Hey there! I'm wondering if someone can help me out with a sample I got that is puzzling me. Here is the description I found using Google, stating that it's an old (2011) Yule scent from Possets. But the label clearly says BPAL on it!

The label overall is different from Possets' other labels, which have a picture, name, no description, and their website on it. This label has "Ergot" in a script-like font, and "BPAL" on the other side, along with a description of the scent (verbatim for the website linked earlier).

I'm sort of confused about how I got my hands on a scent from 2011, but people stash things for a long time I suppose! It's not like I can purchase it anymore, but this is really puzzling me.
That sounds like someone made a decant and mislabeled the company. That's definitely not BPAL. And, yup, people stash things for a long time. I have a few BPALs that were released in honor of the birth of the owner's daughter. That kidlet turned six in September. Seasonal ones in particular tend to stick around in collections for a long time because a lot of people get them and wear them just during that season, and then the oil goes back into storage until the next year.

Got my HoG with no shipping notice, weird. Save the body stuff for the other thread but my Hearth and Parkin perfumes are soooo much better than everything from the first round. I think I mentioned before but there is just something HoG does to their deeper scents that does not work well on me at all. i may have to get my hands on some vials so I can do decants of some of the other scents, if any one would be interested. I'd be decanting:

Wintervale

Snow Wolf

Three Treasures

I didn't get any of those three, so I'd definitely be interested, if you do!

I didn't get any of those three, so I'd definitely be interested, if you do!
Okay! I will look into sample vials - I know someone, somewhere mentioned a place to get them so I will see if I can find that post again. Even if I can decant a bit, I will probably never get through the whole thing, so it eases my mind a bit!

FINALLY, movement with my Black Violet Friday order!  Placed on the 14th, label generated on the 6th, and showing as accepted by USPS this evening. 

@Shalott  I get decanting supplies from Pilot Vials here:

http://www.pilotvials.com/Perfumesampler.html

The standard ones used by Haus of Gloi, BPAL, Nocturne Alchemy, Possets, etc., are the 8mm x 35mm ones.

ETA:  Don't forget pipettes!  I recommend the 3ml ones for this sort of thing.

http://www.pilotvials.com/Accessories.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintervale

Snow Wolf

Three Treasures

I am interested in snow wolf and three treasure. I got wintervale as a free sample. the other two were on my list, but just haven't gotten around to place an order.

Anybody know tat for bpal? I ordered on Black Friday and no shipping notice yet. Seems so long ago but only 10 days!

Anybody know tat for bpal? I ordered on Black Friday and no shipping notice yet. Seems so long ago but only 10 days!
I've checked out the shipping notices people have received recently, and it's varying wildly. It's probably going to depend on exactly what you ordered. Ten days really isn't that long for BPAL. I've had orders take upwards of six weeks.

I got my sixteen92 and black violet orders today!

I ordered the hot chocolate bar sampler from sixteen92. I opened all of the vials and smelled them, and they all smell really good! Just from a cold sniff, the peppermint and red velvet ones are my favorites.

From black violet, I got full sizes of gold rush, celebration, yuzu cookies, and snow white tea. I got a free sample of paper dolls, as well as the GDE gwp.

I got my sixteen92 and black violet orders today!

I ordered the hot chocolate bar sampler from sixteen92. I opened all of the vials and smelled them, and they all smell really good! Just from a cold sniff, the peppermint and red velvet ones are my favorites.

From black violet, I got full sizes of gold rush, celebration, yuzu cookies, and snow white tea. I got a free sample of paper dolls, as well as the GDE gwp.
Thank you for mentioning sixteen92, I had never heard of them and some of their catalogue sounds amazing!

Thank you for mentioning sixteen92, I had never heard of them and some of their catalogue sounds amazing!
I would definitely recommend them! I ordered on Black Friday, and my order shipped within a week. I'll be ordering from them again next year - there's still a few scents I want to try.

How the eff have I missed this thread?? Indie perfumes are my obsession right now. Darling Clandestine is definitely up there with my favorites. Such weird scents that smell A+ on me. HoG is great for my foodie/deep scents. SS has amazing TAT, really friendly CS, and is what made me fall into the rabbit hole. Everyone should try Jack and The Devil as well as Private Eye *heart eyes emoji*

@@yousoldtheworld sixteen92 is fantabulous!!! I adore everything I have from there. Her winter collection is A+. Actually waiting for her shop to reopen today so I can finally snag some lotion and hopefully body wash! 

@@Shalott My Lady Ser is AMAZE!! I actually didn't pick it up for myself and smelled before sending it off to its owner. I then ended up getting it in the Advent Calendar!! Hooray <3 I am also stoked to try the Smelly Yeti perfume I got too. 

I got my HoG order today...I got perfumes only (some samples, and a full size). I like the way all of them smell in the bottle.

So far, I've tried Elevenses...At first I wasn't sure if I liked it enough to consider buying the full size, but I found it growing on me as I wore it! In the bottle, I get mostly orange (like orange zest more than pulp) but once I put it on the orange mellows and I get a sweet citrusy almond smell. The tea is pretty subtle on me, and I wouldn't mind more. There were a couple of minutes where I got an almost play-doh whiff, but that went quickly. I smell a little bit like an orange almond coffeecake and I'm okay with it!  I saw a review that complained it was all tea, but on me it's just all sweet orangey almonds. 

I think I might like this one especially in soap or butter form, actually.

Oooooh, my Black Violet Friday order is here, and she sent me a sample of Oscuro!  I had been eyeing that one because oudh!  patchouli!  ebony! -- but also white musk.  Not something I'm willing to spend money on.  But as a freebie?  I can roll with that!

(And now Oscar is GOING TO TOWN on the honeycomb packing paper.  He grabs one part with his teeth, holds another part down with his paw, and *yanks*.  It rips in a sort of pop-pop-pop manner, and he seems to *love* that.)

(Oh, and Lady Grey.  I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how it's going to work on me, but I thought of it this morning when I walked through a very dense cloud of pot smoke.  In front of my very fancy pants office building.  At 6:30 in the morning.  *Way* too early for that.  My stomach doesn't deal with certain smells very well first thing in the morning.  At least I didn't have to sit next to someone who smelled like they had dumped bongwater all over their shirt.  Because that's happened before.  For people familiar with Portland buses:  I take the 15.)

(And now Edgar is SITTING on the honeycomb paper.  These two are going to get *hours* of entertainment out of this.)

Back