January 2014 - No/Low-Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I really want benefit Lollitint because *so pretty*, and Birchbox just added a bunch of new benefit stuff including this to their store, *and* I have $80 credit there between gift cards and points (and I do need to use a chunk of points because they're at use-them-or-lose-them time), but i just tried the lavender blush I received in my December Glamour Doll Eyes OTM, and it's *not* a good blush look for me. Still looking for Birchbox items to order, but the more used to not spending money I get, the harder it is to even spend those points despite the fact that they're going to go *poof* soon!
Spend the points and don't spend anything out of pocket, that way you get an item you want, you don't let "free" money get away and you don't break your nobuy. win win win

Spend the points and don't spend anything out of pocket, that way you get an item you want, you don't let "free" money get away and you don't break your nobuy. win win win
The key problem here is wanting something, getting it for free, and then *never using it*. Purple blush on me is *hideous*. I have far too much stuff I wanted but never use to be able to justify Lollitint. This is part of what I'm working on with my low-buy: Only getting stuff I will truly use regardless of whether it's free or not. I'm also wanting an INIKA eyeliner pencil to try out their formula, but I have more than five dozen eyeliner pencils already, so I really need to use those instead of buying more. Shower gel? I'm on a no-acquisition -- this goes further than a no-buy: I can't even get it for free -- for that since I probably have enough to last for the rest of the year. Skincare? My skin is very picky. Haircare? See shower gel. There's more than one reason I'm on a low-buy, and there's a reason I end up hoarding Birchbox points for months on end and struggle to figure out what to get.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The key problem here is wanting something, getting it for free, and then *never using it*. Purple blush on me is *hideous*. I have far too much stuff I wanted but never use to be able to justify Lollitint. This is part of what I'm working on with my low-buy: Only getting stuff I will truly use regardless of whether it's free or not. I'm also wanting an INIKA eyeliner pencil to try out their formula, but I have more than five dozen eyeliner pencils already, so I really need to use those instead of buying more. Shower gel? I'm on a no-acquisition -- this goes further than a no-buy: I can't even get it for free -- for that since I probably have enough to last for the rest of the year. Skincare? My skin is very picky. Haircare? See shower gel. There's more than one reason I'm on a low-buy, and there's a reason I end up hoarding Birchbox points for months on end and struggle to figure out what to get.
What is one thing you know you will use up that you can get in the birchbox store? Don't they have chocolate or something that? reward yourself for sticking to your no buy with some "free" chocolate. 

This is why I'm no longer using birchbox. I didn't actually need or use anything they were sending me so I decided to just cancel.

Whenever I see people talking about subscriptions like birchbox, I feel like I might be the only person on the planet who didn't sign up for one of those things -- I've eyed the maven thing from julep, but that's about it. I feel like the stuff they send, 90% of the time will sit in my closet languishing away..

You know, that's how I feel about BB too. I sometimes use what they send but most of the time I swap. I know I have a ton of points but there aren't even that many make up things I want from there. Maybe house things once I move? But those prices are high compared to TJ Maxx, where you can easily find Core Bamboo products Etc. I'm sure I'm due for a nice "free" haul but I don't even want anything.

What is one thing you know you will use up that you can get in the birchbox store? Don't they have chocolate or something that? reward yourself for sticking to your no buy with some "free" chocolate.  This is why I'm no longer using birchbox. I didn't actually need or use anything they were sending me so I decided to just cancel.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Whenever I see people talking about subscriptions like birchbox, I feel like I might be the only person on the planet who didn't sign up for one of those things -- I've eyed the maven thing from julep, but that's about it. I feel like the stuff they send, 90% of the time will sit in my closet languishing away..
julep recently changed their rules about skipping boxes so it's not even worth it to sign up now. The skips were the best thing about the box and if you sign up now you only get 2 skips a year. I think older members still get unlimited skips though

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know, that's how I feel about BB too. I sometimes use what they send but most of the time I swap. I know I have a ton of points but there aren't even that many make up things I want from there. Maybe house things once I move? But those prices are high compared to TJ Maxx, where you can easily find Core Bamboo products Etc. I'm sure I'm due for a nice "free" haul but I don't even want anything.
I canceled on my 13th month, also my bday, when i had 400 points at a 25% discount so I got $50 worth of stuff that I don't hoard like crazy for free and then I walked a way. I ended with my fav face cleaner, a mascara, a hair masque and a blue eyeliner as a treat in addition to a 2 mystery sample pack and a promo sample (I don't remember what). and that was my birthday present to my self. I thought I'd miss bb and I just don't. It's been 5 months without it and I haven't considered resubbing a single time

So I have been doing good. I skipped Julep this month even though I really wanted it this month. I have canceled 2 subs (still have 2 to cancel, if I can find the strength to cancel Nina Garcia).  That will leave me with only the subs I have paid in advance for already.  I did however buy some things for the kids (some of which they needed, some of which will get used as bday/holiday presents.) Hopefully next month will be better for me.

I need some advice, guys. I cancelled Birchbox in December because I just don't think the small sample sizes make the box worth it to me. When I heard US Weekly was doing a collab box with them, I signed back up on the 19th. I needed a few points to hit the $20 mark in points anyway. Even though I signed up way passed the 15th, it looks like they are sending me a January box. I will have enough points to get $20 in points now. Should I still stick around for February? Is the collab box really going to be much better than a regular box? I don't hate the stuff they are sending me in my January box, but I don't love the products either. I am slowly cutting down on my monthly subs, and it was easy for me to cancel Birchbox. It's going to be really hard for me to give up Ipsy and Blush, but I really am overloaded with products right now, and I am saving up to do study abroad over the summer. So should I keep BB through Feb for the collab then cancel, or just cancel now? 

Just woke up from a nap where I dreamt I bought 100 beauty blenders. ... 0.0 guys what is happening to me.
I guess instead of buyers remorse your having no-buy/low-buy remorse. Lol

I can't even decide if I love my beauty blender though. I feel like I'm using product SUPER fast! Or maybe I'm wearing make up more often. Either way, my beautyblender is haunting my dreams

I guess instead of buyers remorse your having no-buy/low-buy remorse. Lol

Just woke up from a nap where I dreamt I bought 100 beauty blenders. ... 0.0 guys what is happening to me.

If it helps, last week when I had the flu I had a lucid dream in which I was attempting to stay awake because I absolutely had to finish reading a thread on MUT! I was convinced that this was far more important than sleep! I don't remember what the imaginary thread was about, but at the time I realized it made no sense whatsoever.

I had a dream last night that UD was selling all three Naked palettes for $42. It came in pretty purple packaging and I didn't know whether to get it because I already have Naked 2 and I only want Naked 3. I ended up buying it then I woke up. I checked UD's website and this set doesn't exist but the dream seemed so real.

I had a dream last night that UD was selling all three Naked palettes for $42. It came in pretty purple packaging and I didn't know whether to get it because I already have Naked 2 and I only want Naked 3. I ended up buying it then I woke up. I checked UD's website and this set doesn't exist but the dream seemed so real.
Lol it seems the no/low buy is getting to everyone's heads. The last few days I've been battling with a sudden, giant urge to get all the makeup! More specifically all the blush and eyeshadow. I am not sure what has gotten into me and perhaps it's the fact that my birthday is so close. But I am trying to not splurge like a crazy lady and instead am focusing on stash shopping. But man it's so hard right now. I just need my birthday to be over so the feeling of "it's my birthday and I'll get it if I want to" goes away.

Heh.  I had a dream that I think involved freaky GINORMOUS science fiction spiders, but I watched that episode of _Fringe_ about the freaky GINORMOUS science fiction hookworms last night, so at least I know what was going on there.  It wasn't a nightmare.  It was just weird.

And last night, I found out my favorite perfume company is officially going to be at Emerald City Comic Con this year, so I'll be concentrating even harder on saving for that.  Four sample jars from GDE a month and the tin version of the _Sherlock_ set from Geek Chic, and that's it for me.  I did finally order a lip color stick and cheek/lip stain from Birchbox, but it was with points, so those don't count against me here. (I'm also getting a free shimmery brown/champagne double-ended eye pencil with that order, and I do *not* need another eye pencil, but, hey, it can live in my makeup bag at work for touchups and emergencies like that day I somehow forgot to wear *any* eyeliner.  I still can't believe I did that.  Of all things for me to forget, *eyeliner*.  This is like Zoey Deschanel forgetting to do her eyelashes.

ETA:  Today's used-up-the-last-of-it item!  It amuses me that I finished this, and it's kicking in a bit, so I'm posting here.

http://www.eastsidedistilling.com/holiday-spiced-liqueur/

This stuff makes the best rum-and-cola *ever*, although the fact that I used Diet Rite instead of a Coke or Pepsi product might have something to do with it.  Diet Rite is much spicier than most colas.  They used a real cork in the liqueur bottle (I think they have since changed to synthetic).  I forgot to store it on its side, so the cork dried out, and I had to get it out with a corkscrew.  The cork disintegrated.  I'm glad this only had enough for one drink because there's just not enough weekend for me to drink an entire bottle of it before tomorrow!

Heh.  I had a dream that I think involved freaky GINORMOUS science fiction spiders, but I watched that episode of _Fringe_ about the freaky GINORMOUS science fiction hookworms last night, so at least I know what was going on there.  It wasn't a nightmare.  It was just weird.
OMG. Of all the episodes of Fringe, giant spiders scared me the MOST. glad we have another fan here!!! My boyfriend thinks he looks like Joshua Jackson. He does not. He spent a week asking his coworkers and close customers if they look a like. They do not.
Lol it seems the no/low buy is getting to everyone's heads. The last few days I've been battling with a sudden, giant urge to get all the makeup! More specifically all the blush and eyeshadow. I am not sure what has gotten into me and perhaps it's the fact that my birthday is so close. But I am trying to not splurge like a crazy lady and instead am focusing on stash shopping. But man it's so hard right now. I just need my birthday to be over so the feeling of "it's my birthday and I'll get it if I want to" goes away.
I'm having the opposite problem. I want to insta-sell a bunch of my make up. I have a couple of UD revolution lippies that I've only used once and I wanna sell them but I feel like I'll regret it. I've mostly only been wearing lip tars and Tarte Lipsurgences. It's funny though because I called the lipsurgence set my "most regrettable purchase of 2013". Guess I had a change of heart! I had a ton of impulse buys over Black Friday (I'm looking at you, Too Faced mystery grab bag) and now they're just kinda sitting on my shelf.

OMG. Of all the episodes of Fringe, giant spiders scared me the MOST. glad we have another fan here!!! My boyfriend thinks he looks like Joshua Jackson. He does not. He spent a week asking his coworkers and close customers if they look a like. They do not.
I'm having the opposite problem. I want to insta-sell a bunch of my make up. I have a couple of UD revolution lippies that I've only used once and I wanna sell them but I feel like I'll regret it. I've mostly only been wearing lip tars and Tarte Lipsurgences. It's funny though because I called the lipsurgence set my "most regrettable purchase of 2013". Guess I had a change of heart! I had a ton of impulse buys over Black Friday (I'm looking at you, Too Faced mystery grab bag) and now they're just kinda sitting on my shelf.
I don't know if you discussed this in another thread, but is there anyway you can explain how you go about selling your makeup on instagram? I have sooo much new makeup that I am not using. 

i've been selling a bunch of stuff lately. apparently, i've sold a total of $395 worth of stuff on ebay for january so far (that's almost $400, and the month's not over yet)! i can't believe it! they're all small ticket items but it adds up! i also have $265 worth of stuff listed right now.

Latest posts

Back