January 2014 - No/Low-Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG. Of all the episodes of Fringe, giant spiders scared me the MOST. glad we have another fan here!!! My boyfriend thinks he looks like Joshua Jackson. He does not. He spent a week asking his coworkers and close customers if they look a like. They do not.
I'm having the opposite problem. I want to insta-sell a bunch of my make up. I have a couple of UD revolution lippies that I've only used once and I wanna sell them but I feel like I'll regret it. I've mostly only been wearing lip tars and Tarte Lipsurgences. It's funny though because I called the lipsurgence set my "most regrettable purchase of 2013". Guess I had a change of heart! I had a ton of impulse buys over Black Friday (I'm looking at you, Too Faced mystery grab bag) and now they're just kinda sitting on my shelf.
Wait.  Crap.  I watched about half of this series when it was originally on and am powerloading so I can finally finish it, and I don't remember any spiders, but I don't remember most of this show, hence the rewatch portion happening now.  Are those things coming up?  This was the episode called "Snakehead" where we discover Peter speaks Cantonese because it's a storyline involving Chinese immigrants, and the creature-of-the-week was a giant hookworm.  I am *not* a fan of spiders.  I can handle just about anything in horror, but spiders are a problem.  I'm going to have to check plot summaries so I can make sure that it's not the last episode I watch in that particular session!

And I just listed all of my mascaras (except the green one from Sephora, and that was simply because I forgot) on eBay today.  I don't wear them, and I have EIGHTEEN between samples, deluxe samples, and full-sized tubes.  I don't need one tube, never mind more than a dozen.  Dealing with non-eBay sales seems like too much of a hassle right now.

I'm 99% sure there was a spider episode when they still did the creature-of-the-week thing. Maybe I'm mixing it up with another series?? I DO remember spiders and I do remember being scared. They move toward more of a continuous story line type set up (less creatures) toward the end.

Wait.  Crap.  I watched about half of this series when it was originally on and am powerloading so I can finally finish it, and I don't remember any spiders, but I don't remember most of this show, hence the rewatch portion happening now.  Are those things coming up?  This was the episode called "Snakehead" where we discover Peter speaks Cantonese because it's a storyline involving Chinese immigrants, and the creature-of-the-week was a giant hookworm.  I am *not* a fan of spiders.  I can handle just about anything in horror, but spiders are a problem.  I'm going to have to check plot summaries so I can make sure that it's not the last episode I watch in that particular session! And I just listed all of my mascaras (except the green one from Sephora, and that was simply because I forgot) on eBay today.  I don't wear them, and I have EIGHTEEN between samples, deluxe samples, and full-sized tubes.  I don't need one tube, never mind more than a dozen.  Dealing with non-eBay sales seems like too much of a hassle right now.

I don't know if you discussed this in another thread, but is there anyway you can explain how you go about selling your makeup on instagram? I have sooo much new makeup that I am not using. 
Since I'm too lazy for eBay and I swatch most things, I sell on Instagram. My blog is dead so this is my version of a "blog sale". Look up @themakeupexchange and #themakeupexchange You post a pic with your items (if you scroll through my IG you might see how I do it) and your prices. People leave their emails to be invoiced via paypal. A lot of people lowball which is annoying. A lot of people sell MAC - not my thing - or set extremely high prices for some more "rare" items. I think the Tarte Off the Cuff is running at $80. Lip tars $10. Some Mac lipsticks $40+ . Just to give you an idea. I haven't had a problem with someone not shipping my items. People pay promptly and if they don't, cancel the invoice and move on to the next person. I'm pretty reluctant to swap there though since IDK any of those people but people have swapped before.

Great to be on this thread!!! No buy until my birthday in March and then after that no buy until I finish this semester in school! Good luck to all of us!

Good morning, everyone. Been having a hell of a week...can't wait until next week so I can take a mental break and celebrate my birthday. I feel like a lot of the "need need need' feeling I've been having lately is mostly stress. Need to get it in check.

Well it was a so-so bad week for me I bought 2 candles during the bath and body works 2 for 25 sale. And spent a few dollars on makeup only because I had a 20% off your order for Tarte. But I skipped my Julep box for the month so it wasn't too bad I guess.

I did good when I was out shopping with my niece.  I only bought a pair of tweezers. I needed a pair.

Today I did buy some Benefit Stay Flawless primer.  But I used Birchbox points and a coupon so it only cost five dollars.  I will be completely out of primer by the time it gets here so I consider it a wash.

I feel like I'm doing a little bit better lately. I've cut my lipstick collection in half after much hemming and hawwing. I finally got rid of a ton of textures that my dry lips can't tolerate anymore. Bye bye 90% of my MAC lipsticks--I'll always love your shades but your formula tears my lips apart and I need to accept that. Also, this may be a controversial subject but I have found a few items in my collection, a few of the recent additions, that I'd like to return. I've given them a fair shake but they're just not passing my more rigorous standards. I can't let myself hold on to products I feel lukewarm about because they always end up sitting and rotting in my stash, unused when I find something I like better. At least this way, I can get rid some of the clutter. I like to think of this as refining my makeup tastes though it feels more like a hoarding intervention lol. 

My biggest issue that I know I'll need to contend with is that my usually extremely oily skin is drying out and peeling this winter so most of my old stand-by base products are way too cakey and masklike right now, despite practically bathing in thick moisturizing creams these days. I really don't want to plunk down any money for a new foundation since we're going to be entering the spring months soon (and hello, no-buy!) but I don't know how much longer I can take looking so dusty and dehydrated lol. Ahh the conundrums of a no-buy.

*whine* The Geek Chic Cosmetics _Sherlock_ tins sold out in THIRTEEN MINUTES! I can't stay up until midnight since I get up at 5am for work. On the up side, I'm not sure I'm interested in it enough to shell out for the full-sized set, so I'll probably just go for samples. I think that will be under ten bucks, including shipping, rather than $25 plus shipping.

*whine* The Geek Chic Cosmetics _Sherlock_ tins sold out in THIRTEEN MINUTES! I can't stay up until midnight since I get up at 5am for work. On the up side, I'm not sure I'm interested in it enough to shell out for the full-sized set, so I'll probably just go for samples. I think that will be under ten bucks, including shipping, rather than $25 plus shipping.
I had to stay up until 3am EST to get that set. Yawn. I feel like a sleepy zombie today...

Overall, I think this was a good low-buy month for me.

I brought:

• Flower Beauty mascara
  • Tarte lash primer
  • Clinque eye cream - My eyes were irritated because of lack of sleep and this really helped!
  • Anastasia Diplow - This is my holy grail brow product. 
  • Anastasia Brow Wiz - I accidentally broke the one that I was using so I had to buy another. I use it with the Dipbrow.
  • Buxom Show Some Skin Foundation - I finally brought a foundation to match my winter skin color.
  • Clarisonic brush head

It looks like a lot but I threw away a bunch of stuff, so I feel good.

Quote: Originally Posted by loftmane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I feel like I'm doing a little bit better lately. I've cut my lipstick collection in half after much hemming and hawwing. I finally got rid of a ton of textures that my dry lips can't tolerate anymore. Bye bye 90% of my MAC lipsticks--I'll always love your shades but your formula tears my lips apart and I need to accept that. Also, this may be a controversial subject but I have found a few items in my collection, a few of the recent additions, that I'd like to return. I've given them a fair shake but they're just not passing my more rigorous standards. I can't let myself hold on to products I feel lukewarm about because they always end up sitting and rotting in my stash, unused when I find something I like better. At least this way, I can get rid some of the clutter. I like to think of this as refining my makeup tastes though it feels more like a hoarding intervention lol. 

My biggest issue that I know I'll need to contend with is that my usually extremely oily skin is drying out and peeling this winter so most of my old stand-by base products are way too cakey and masklike right now, despite practically bathing in thick moisturizing creams these days. I really don't want to plunk down any money for a new foundation since we're going to be entering the spring months soon (and hello, no-buy!) but I don't know how much longer I can take looking so dusty and dehydrated lol. Ahh the conundrums of a no-buy.
I keep reducing the size of my lip collection too.  I'm getting pickier and pickier about what I actually like and have been getting rid of any lip product where I feel like I have to do a lot with it to make it work.  I have a feeling I'll probably reduce it even more the longer I stay on a low buy.  I'd rather have a few lip products that I love and use regularly than a massive collection.  I've been decreasing the size of my blush and eyeshadow stashes too.

Ack! I caved & bought something. 😞 avon had a special bundle deal on their mineral makeup. Foundation powder, translucent powder, bronzer, blush & a kabuki brush all for $29.99. In my defense I've been wanting to try mineral foundation & it's not something I already have.....and it was 40% off compared to buying each one separate. I am proud of myself for not buying drugstore makeup whenever I'm at the store. Now I just need to be strong and not buy anything from Ulta just because I have a 20% off coupon good on most prestige brands. If I can make it till Sunday the coupon will have expired & I won't want to get anything.

Quote: Originally Posted by loftmane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote: Originally Posted by Rebecca34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I keep reducing the size of my lip collection too.  I'm getting pickier and pickier about what I actually like and have been getting rid of any lip product where I feel like I have to do a lot with it to make it work.  I have a feeling I'll probably reduce it even more the longer I stay on a low buy.  I'd rather have a few lip products that I love and use regularly than a massive collection.  I've been decreasing the size of my blush and eyeshadow stashes too.

Thank you for these posts! I've been unable to make up my mind on whether or not I should toss my MAC Sheen Supreme in Full Speed (*), but I'm thinking it has to go. It's a pretty nice color, but the formula is just. so. fussy! I'd feel so bad if one of my better lipsticks went bad while I was gritting my teeth and trying to use up one that I detest. Back 2 MAC it is!

* I don't know why it's just not working out for me. I loved the Sheen Supreme formula in the shade Bare Again, a nude, but Full Speed just seems to sit on top of my lips and turn into a streaky mess, ugh. It takes such a long time to get a decent application. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Good for you, @mauu! You deserve better than crappy application no matter how nice a color it is! I'm really starting to take to heart some advice I've gotten over the past few months from minimalism blogs where you really need to consider how happy something's presence in your life makes you. If applying something makes you more frustrated than happy, it's time for it to go. There are enough things in life that serve to frustrate us. Our belongings shouldn't. 

@Rebecca34 Teach me your ways of powder product purging!! I think because they don't go bad as quickly, I tend to be more lenient with them. But I have 52 blushes! Fifty. Two. I don't need more than a handful or so! So I really need to get rid of the ones I don't like. Problem is that whenever I start to cull items that I don't like, I suddenly remember that I use it in a certain look or I always pair it with a certain lipstick so I "need" it and then they remain collecting dust :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Any advice would be lovely!! 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by EmpressMelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had to stay up until 3am EST to get that set. Yawn. I feel like a sleepy zombie today...
I know they have a note on their website saying they will be discussing the super fast sell out on Wednesday (next week or this week? idk). I will be getting some of the colors separately -- battle dress, mind palace and old fashioned villain for sure. I unfortunately never have the chance to wear greens or golds, and look horrid in blue. 

I made it to work today without a stitch of makeup. this is the first time in two years. I feel NAKED! It's uncomfortable but at the same time...not. I woke up late and its raging storms outside and the last thing I had time for would have been putting on my face, so.... out the door I went. I'm feeling both empowered and awfully bare right now. 

I know they have a note on their website saying they will be discussing the super fast sell out on Wednesday (next week or this week? idk). I will be getting some of the colors separately -- battle dress, mind palace and old fashioned villain for sure. I unfortunately never have the chance to wear greens or golds, and look horrid in blue.  I made it to work today without a stitch of makeup. this is the first time in two years. I feel NAKED! It's uncomfortable but at the same time...not. I woke up late and its raging storms outside and the last thing I had time for would have been putting on my face, so.... out the door I went. I'm feeling both empowered and awfully bare right now. 
GCC has announced that they're going to do another run of tins, double the size of the initial one and at an earlier evening time. Now we get to wait to see when that happens.

GCC has announced that they're going to do another run of tins, double the size of the initial one and at an earlier evening time. Now we get to wait to see when that happens.
oh man. i might stick it out and get that one even if i don't wear blue... I just hope it doesn't get sold out again that fast. 

Siiiigh I think I am sucked in and going to go for it.  I couldn't wait up for the first one (it was 3am EST and I work starting at 8 so it just would not have been a healthy decision on many levels) but if they really do an earlier start time I'll try to get in on it.

Im kinda bummed  I had to make budgets cuts, off with the cable tv, off  with Ipsy. Looking  back  I did use a lot of my Ipsy products and I will be sad, if Feb is the month you  guys get  unicorns or  fairy dust in your bags  lol   I did get to keep the  internet woo hoo

Back