Japanese hair straightening

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is like Chi, although that is one system I haven't taken training for but like I said they all have the same main ingredient..

I've been "Japanese straightening" my hair for roughly about 3 years now and so far (knock wood) I've had no problem. I do notice that I lose hair every time I wash it (which is every day, however, I must mention that I have really thick hair and a lot of it.) I'm not bald and I don't have any bald spots (that I've noticed). I don't color my hair yet either.

I think there is some hair loss with almost any treatment. But prior to getting this, you're really supposed to get a consultation to find out if your hair type get withstand this kind of treatment.

Prior to getting my hair straightened I was getting spiral perms. My natural hair is wavy but not in a nice even way. I started perming my hair to make it easier to deal with. When I permed my hair, it ended up looking like I had double the amount! But still, I had no damage and no clumps of hair falling out. Again it depends on your hair type. I think if you have thin, delicate hair, that could happen. But if your hair is coarse and thick, you're probably a good candidate.

Just to get it straight... the Japanese straightening system is NOT a regular relaxer. This system is definitely not for African American hair because it is just naturally waaaayyyy to fragile to withstand the temperature that they use to make this work. I have seen caucasian hair fried by this as well. If you have very fine hair, this system is not for you. The Japanese system sounds exactly like what it is... to straighten very coarse Asian hair. When I was in Tokyo, alot of women would have this done to get a smooth and silky look. Before, they were trying to used a regular chemical relaxer for Black hair and it didn't work at all. Then they tried relaxers formulated for Caucasian hair, and it would not stay straight for long. So this is where the straightening system became so popular, but then Japanese women also like to color their hair so it was very, very dry looking. So I guess you really have to moisturize your hair daily if it is to look good.

A friend of mine saw the beginning of this thread and started to get the wrong idea. This system is not for fine, wavy hair, or Black hair. It was optimized for Asian hair, which is the strongest hair around. But some caucasians saw that it would work for some coarse frizzy hair too.

always get trims because the ends of your hair are super dead.

really? I never heard this b/4

Cheebs, the hair is already dead. The ends can look pretty bad a lot faster if you don't take care of them. You should trim only because you like it to look even and straight, not to "keep the hair healthy". Habitual trimming to get rid of split ends is just laziness. Take care of them, and there will not be so many of them.

don't forget..that japanese thermal straightening isn't for everyone!! your hair might not be able to take it.

Very true! One needs to get a consultation first. I'm happy my hair is able to withstand it because it really cuts down on my time blow drying and styling in the morning.

Screeema - I'm starting to go grey, and, like I mentioned, I straighten my hair, do you guess I'd be able to withstand coloring my hair to cover the grey (not change my natural color) and still Japanese straighten my hair twice a year like I do ?

Hi Amethyst, yes if you are just depositing color you can do sure. Just be sure they don't use anything stronger than 20vol peroxide. Sometimes if your gray is a little resistant a stylist might want to use a higher volume so just let them know from the begining not too!!! I color mine every three weeks

I got the Japanese straightening done a few years ago and loved it! It didn't do any damage to my hair. I loved the straight, sleeky, shiny look for almost a year!

Screema, you mentioned that you actually do it for customers. How much do you charge....say for hair length of mid-back? I got mine done when I was in Singapore, which cost me about US$85. When I check the salons around my area, the minimum was around $400!! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I would love to do it again.

Yep. The "average" head of Asian hair can withstand the highest temperatures. They have done stress tests with hair strands from "average" individuals from "each" ethnic group. The have found Black hair to be the weakest, caucasoid hair to vary widely but the average being somewhat durable, but the Asian hair samples held many more times the weight than any other hair. Of course, studies like this make several assumptions:

1) That all Asian hair is naturally bone straight, which of course we all know is not true.

2) That all Black people have the same type of hair, and that all Black hair is naturally kinky, which of course we all know is not true.

3) That all scalps produce the same amount of sebum to lubricate the hair, which of course we all know this is not true either.

When it comes down to strength though, many East Asians have the best end of the deal. Slightly thicker hairs, more lubricated strands, perfectly aligned straight glossy cuticles, longest growth phase, fastest growth during the growth phase.

In lace costume wigs for theatre, Asian or Indian Remy hair is preferred hands down over any other hair type, regardless of the final color, for the above reasons.

Back