Japanese hair straightening

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops! I meant super dry/brittle at the ends! Sorry! That's what I get for posting at 3 in the morning after doing homework.

I like your kitty Cheebs... I mean the one in your avatar.

Rima... I would love to see some pictures of your hair. I straighten mine once a week now because I want to protect it from the heat. I have been wearing it curly and letting it airdry.

Screeema,

What is the best way to go about finding a qualified person for this Japanese Hair Straightening? I have a daughter who would die to have this done and I would love to have it done for her, but I don't know how to find a qualified person. Any tips?

Wanda

You do have to be careful with the straightning because it did make my hair more fragile and dry specially if you color it.

Hi Wanda,

I think the best way to find someone is the internet. There are some web sites devoted to Thermal reconditioning with people from all over, like here. You can go there and ask for recommendations in your area. Also Yuko Systems has a web site with a salon locator. It doesn't mean that all the stylist listed are qualified but it is a place to start. You definitley want to have a consultation first and ask them how long they have been doing it and how many they have done

www.yuko-usa.com/

i had that done. they had to do it twice but my hair was still curly. then when i moved i asked my hair stylest said it doesnt actually really straighten straighten but it just makes the curl less.

I have extremely curly hair, that doesn't curl nicely, but frizzes. For several years I had my hair chemically straightened by my stylist until Japanese straightening became available. I then switched and haven't looked back, despite the $500 cost per treatment.

Both the Japanese system and the chemical straightening processes are permanent, so that you only have to re-do the new growth every six or seven months. However, with the Japanese straightening system, I can let my hair air dry, forego any styling at all and my hair is straight. The old-fashioned chemical process left my hair partially straightened, it still had to undergo the flat iron in order to be smooth. I now save hours each week on hair styling.

Both processes can be very damaging, although the Japanese straightening less so. Go to a stylist who is an expert on this procedure. I cannot understate the importance of this. You must religiously deep-condition your hair and cannot wash it every day. I recommend the new Kerastase line of products for dry, damaged hair (only available in salons).

Bottom line, if your hair is truly horribly kinky and frizzy, this procedure will be life-changing and worth the cost and extra conditioning care you must take. If your hair is sort of more curly than you like it (but not extremely frizzy), don't do it.

Hope this helps.

I agree. In my dream world I would go and have the Japanese straightening done. Butttttt in real life..I color my hair andddd I would FREAK OUT if it "frizzled off" like that one ladies in the article. yikes! So for now I'm pumping the curl! lol! I also would be hesitant to do it because of the high price! I mean if it does replace blow drying and using a flat iron for 9 mths..that's worth it. But if I still have to blow dry and then use frizzease..that's 200 bucks down the drain ( to me.).

So I'm torn? lol!

AM

I have used the Japanese hair straightening method for the last two and a half years. I have it straightened about every six months. I have had no unusual hair loss, indeed, my hair is still thick.

My hair looks better and healthier than when it was curly. Some of my hair was wavy, but most of it was either curly or very curly. It often frizzed up during the day and became sort of bushy looking. While I am fairly talented at applying makeup, I am a klutz when it comes to working with my hair. I am not good at it, it look a long time, at least 20 min., and I rarely even tried to do it. Before I went out to a "special" event, I'd go have my hair washed and blown dry. I never got it to look that good.

Now, I get out of the shower with straight hair. I do not have to straighten it with an iron or anything else. I can blow dry it and it is still straight without any special processes or precautions. The only difference I have noticed is that my hair drinks up conditioner, but it did when it was curly too.

My hairdresser took a special class in learning this technique and he is very meticulous. I think this is mostly the reason for my success here. He applies more to the curlier parts of my hair than the wavier parts and the process takes between three to four hours. I have seen women who's hair has been straightened using this method, and I can see where the curlier parts were not treated longer than the less curly parts. Or, it looks like the whole process wasn't allowed enough time. But even my hairdresser has said that my hair just did better than others he has done.

So, the secret, if I have one, is to find a hairdresser who is trained and careful about this process.

It is worth it. It sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, but it has changed my appearance dramatically for the better. My hair shiny, medium length and attractive with no extra work or worry.

I had the Japanese Hair Straightening done about a year ago. I lost alot of hair... My hair got so thin, I have to take biotin and use hair-thinning shampoo for almost a year before I get my hair back in shape.

Im posting to say that my hair is somewhere between curly and wavy- thick - and I have gotten this done at a Korean salon where the women do straightening and only straightening all day for years. They know what they are doing. I had amazingly straight, shiny, silky hair. I took care of it with conditioners and even curly - I don't wash my hair everyday (Im prone to dry scalp). You have to go where people are experts and have knowledge on how to apply this - this is a dangerous process and you do not want to go somewhere where the salon is not well-versed in this. And I don't mean price-wise either. The salon I went to charged me only $200 - while salons in Manhattan tend to charge $500. My friend chose the $500 salon and her hair didnt look anywhere near as healthy as mine did.

Also - the growing out part matters too. If you choose to not get it re-done (as I did) - you will have to suffer 6 months of waiting for the curls to grow in and get trims every few weeks. If you go somewhere that does it correctly, you can style your hair and have an easier time waiting for the hair to grow out. Although I suffered for about 6 months with half my head curly and half straight- it wasn't as bad as some of the other people I know who were growing theirs out. My hair is all wavy now (and I did miss it a lot so Im glad) and it took about a year to fully grow out. So be prepared for that!

If you have any concerns about your hair falling out. There is a pill(vitamin) call Biotin.they sell it at most local drug stores. It works great. My hair stylist told me about it and i started using it. So there is an option if your affraid of your hair falling out. It make your hair stronger, and it does break. It also helps your nails, so there's a plus too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I had thought about this process before, but I've totally decided against it after hearing a lot of negative stories about people who had it done (regardless as to which brand was used). I'd rather stick with relaxers as needed. Too scary for me, and I've worked TOO hard to get my hair healthy again!

Back