Julep January 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This seems odd:  I received a FedEx tracking number yesterday that was generated Monday, and the package weight was entered as two pounds.  It was finally scanned into the FedEx system today, and now it's suddenly *four* pounds and a 15"x11"x4" box.  Uh...  I just got the cleansing oil and five or six (depending on whether they're sending the metamorphic top coat) polishes.  I don't think it should weigh that much or be in a box that big even with whatever the free gift is this month (isn't it usually just an extra polish or two?).  And they're sending it FedEx two-day?  Is this new?  I don't remember them *ever* sending things two-day before.  This whole thing just seems very odd, and that makes me very nervous.
They're sending out random upgrades again. Maybe you're getting one? As far as the 2-day shipping, they seem to be upgrading people to 2-day at random but I have noticed that they all seem to be west coast based. Meanwhile, my box will be taking it's sweet ass time traipsing across the country to VA. It's due to arrive late next week. -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got the Go Big Volumizing mascara as a free gift this month. I ordered Margit and the gel eye glider in Navy Smoke & Rich Brown. I added on the nail decal trio, orbital eyeshadow in Borealis, and Shawn. I got Tyra for my metamorphic top coat.

Wacky! My package is out for delivery *now*! That's a day early. Now I wonder what's in there if it *is* an upgrade. (I'm not sure I actually like any of the other polishes this month, so non-polish surprises would be very cool.)

Didn't Julep used to send out special upgrades to random Mavens every month? Do they still do that? Maybe it was only for mystery boxes...

Didn't Julep used to send out special upgrades to random Mavens every month? Do they still do that? Maybe it was only for mystery boxes...
They used to upgrade random Maven boxes. They also used to have mystery boxes that had several variations of different dollar amounts. Did they say they were going back to random upgrades? I must have missed that announcement somewhere along the way.

They used to upgrade random Maven boxes. They also used to have mystery boxes that had several variations of different dollar amounts. Did they say they were going back to random upgrades? I must have missed that announcement somewhere along the way.
No, they didn't announce they were doing upgrades again. @@meaganola's post just reminded me they used to do something and I was wondering if/when they had stopped. 

Has anyone gotten  their Savvy Surprise yet? I ordered but am curious what it is...
I got mine today, the Savvy Surprise in mine was blush and bronzer, I'm pleasantly surprised!   

And I finally got my shipping notification for my Jan Maven box, not scanned just the label printed, it's being sent reg Smart Post, so end of next week...maybe  <_<

I received my jan box on monday and received Tilda (metamorphic) and the Big volumizing mascara as a free bonus for getting 3 addons. I also ordered the Color Caddy and More set...only the caddy came so I had to contact CS. A bunch of the "more" part of the set were out of stock. Nice for them to tell me before they shipped it or even indicate it on the packing slip. CS gave me other options...in the end in happy with the outcome. :) I had also ordered the Royals set...every bottle (6 minis) says 4free. But the royalist box and online description say 5free. Per CS, Julep has always been 5 free and switched to saying theyre 5free when the beauty industry started to include formaldehyde resin as one of the five (which vs Jules has never included). And they have some old packaging (aka old bottles but new polish). Is this a load of bologna? I'm not knocking Julep and love the products just don't like things that make me question or scratch my head.

Oh, bummer, no upgrade.  They must not have very good box size options.  The box was bigger than a PopSugar box, but it was more than 3/4 packing shreds.  The only extra item I received was the three-item-bonus thing, and it was the glycolic scrub.  And my metamorphic topcoat is Tyra, and I think I have something similar already.  Oh, well.  I wasn't shorted anything, nothing broke, and I do like the colors I picked out, so it's not like I got ripped off.  I just wish the box wasn't so intriguingly large -- and that they had shipped it sooner. 

(Also, Luna:  When I was in college, there was a place here in Portland that did all-ages shows called La Luna.  I moved to Seattle my junior year to finish my degree.  When I was home on Thanksgiving break my junior year of college, my brother wanted to go there to see Mudhoney and a couple of other lesser-known bands of the time.  Our parents told him that he could only go if I took him.  I told him that I would only take him if he paid for my ticket.  It had been a long few days, so I spent pretty much the *entire* show sitting in the balcony area overlooking the mosh pit -- and apparently Kris Novoselic spent the entire show standing behind me, a fact I wasn't aware of until after the show.  I therefore have fond feelings towards anything involving the word "Luna.")

So I'm a dork & forgot to skip this month in the craziness of Christmas.  I realized it on the 30th when I got my shipping email, but no harm done; my mistake.  I haven't taken a box in MONTHS so this was kind of a fun surprise.  I don't even know what I'm getting to be honest.  ha ha ha.

But since I haven't taken a box in months (I think May was my last box) I haven't been in the loop with changes or anything like that.  I was used to getting my box EARLY in the month . . .  like by the 1st usually.  I got my shipping email on December 30th & still don't have it.  I checked online & on my maven window thing it said expected delivery January 6th which obviously didn't happen.  On the FedEx page it still said shipping label created which of course means it was never shipped.

So I emailed them to find out what was up & they emailed me back saying that my expected delivery is the 13th even though I've checked it twice a day for the past week & it had been saying the 6th.  It magically changed as soon as I emailed them.  SO. . . mine won't be here until the 13th.  But at least it shows being picked up by FedEx now.  :) 

I'm excited to see what I get though.  I honestly just drew a complete blank over Christmas & didn't even see the maven window.  ha ha ha.  SURPRISE!  

My lipgloss was frozen solid, thanks to the freezing cold in Wisconsin. I used it once it thawed and found t to be moisturizing, but I'm not sure I like the smell. All of Julep's lip products that I've ever used have sort of plastic-y smell to them.

I do like the eye glider (I chose olive). It lasted all day, no smudging, and looked really nice with my green eyes.
I don't like the smell of the lipgloss either. I got the Fig hoping it would be close to my favorite Clinique Black Honey Superbalm gloss. The color is close but the smell. Yuck.

I got the smoky plum and dark brown eye gliders in the Wristlet Jubilee and I really am impressed with how long they last. I can get a smooth fine tightline and it lasts all day. I may never go back to my Laura Mercier tightliner and brush again!

I received my SS order and Savvy surprised. I ended up with the Oxygen Nail Treatment (original), Essential Cuticle Oil, and Crystal Nail File. I'm actually pretty happy with the products because I would prefer to pick my own polish colours and I can never have enough nail care/hand care items, especially in the winter.

I received Tilda--it is such a pretty opal-y/iridescent/sheer color on its own. Everything was included in my Maven Box, but my secret store order was messed up.

I ordered eyeshadow + lip/nail bundle + savvy deal. I received the eyshadow, no bundle, and cuticle oil, full size rockstar hand cream, mighty nail treatment, nail file, and oxygen nail treatment. They are refunding me cost of the bundle, so I guess I'll just  get a supersized Savvy deal for purchasing an eyeshadow. Pretty quick customer service, they responded within 12 hours via email.

Just tried my Bjork topcoat ... Over Queen Anne (glitter), Reese (light), and Joanne (dark). It made Queen Anne look cloudy, just added a shimmer to Reese, and Joanne look shiny and a bit muddy. Am I missing something? I know it works best over dark colours, but it didn't change the appearance of Joanne, except to make it look kind of gross.

Finally got my shipping notice and it actually is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! If so...yay!

Yay, my Maven and Savvy Surprise orders came today! I got Boho Glam with Casey (beautiful color), the Olive eye glider, the Sheer Coral Luxe Lip, the Navy Smoke eye glider as an add on, and my special topcoat was Tyra. 

My Savvy Surprise was the bronzer in light golden, the blush brush, and the Black eye glider.  Impressed with the eye gliders from the swatches.  I don't know if it's because I haven't ordered anything from Julep in months, but quite happy with everything.

(Also, Luna:  When I was in college, there was a place here in Portland that did all-ages shows called La Luna.  I moved to Seattle my junior year to finish my degree.  When I was home on Thanksgiving break my junior year of college, my brother wanted to go there to see Mudhoney and a couple of other lesser-known bands of the time.  Our parents told him that he could only go if I took him.  I told him that I would only take him if he paid for my ticket.  It had been a long few days, so I spent pretty much the *entire* show sitting in the balcony area overlooking the mosh pit -- and apparently Kris Novoselic spent the entire show standing behind me, a fact I wasn't aware of until after the show.  I therefore have fond feelings towards anything involving the word "Luna.")
Oh my gosh.  I forgot about La Luna.  I lived in Seattle and went there to see They Might Be Giants with my boyfriend and his friend my senior year of HS. I still can't believe my mom let me miss a day of school go down with my boyfriend.  O.O 

My box came today! Last time I checked tracking it said Monday so this was a nice surprise after waiting so long for it to ship. My metamorphic came in Bjork, which was my most wanted! I absolutely LOVE it!  ^_^

2015-01-10 11.41.26.jpg

Bjork swatch (half over Janae)

2015-01-10 18.55.38.jpg

Comparison swatch of Janae with and without Bjork

2015-01-10 18.57.26.jpg

Back