Julep Maven-May 2012 Boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my replacement brushes today, and to say the least, i am disappointed. They are NOT their usual brushes. They remind me of the type of brush you find in a .99 cent bottle of nail polish. very disappointed. I am better off trying to reshape the old brushes. If i knew how to attach a picture from my phone i would because this is crazy. For $14, i expected the quality to be much higher.

Originally Posted by amandah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my replacement brushes today, and to say the least, i am disappointed. They are NOT their usual brushes. They remind me of the type of brush you find in a .99 cent bottle of nail polish. very disappointed. I am better off trying to reshape the old brushes. If i knew how to attach a picture from my phone i would because this is crazy. For $14, i expected the quality to be much higher.
WOW that's just insane I will probably be cancelling this month. I've had terrible CS since I started, and now this crap!? Clearly, they don't deserve my $20/month!

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I havent received mine yet. Julep is not sounding too good is it?
Definitely not. I mean, I would think that their CS reps would be top notch given that they're trying to sell their customers 2-3 nail polishes @ $20/month! That in itself is prettty far fetched, let alone, when you factor in that their CS stinks, and the issues with their brushes!

Originally Posted by Scawolita /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone who's got their replacements post pic?
I got my May box today.  The regular brushes were still in the polish and the replacement brushes was were bubble wrapped on the side:

The brush on the bottom is the original brush, the brush on top is the replacement brush.

If you look closely, the replacement brush is shorter as a whole and the bristles are not as wide.  And they're made out of really cheap feeling nylon.

Yupp. Thats what my replacement brushes look like. It's sad because i wanted to love them, but i don't. I'm better off buying 2-3 essie polishes every month instead.

Originally Posted by FireNRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my May box today.  The regular brushes were still in the polish and the replacement brushes was were bubble wrapped on the side:

The brush on the bottom is the original brush, the brush on top is the replacement brush.

If you look closely, the replacement brush is shorter as a whole and the bristles are not as wide.  And they're made out of really cheap feeling nylon.
YIKES! Those look like the cheap brushes found in dollar polishes. Even Wet n Wild's brushes look better than that! BTW - Mind if I borrow that image for a blog post? Credit to you of course.

I'll probably still keep my account with them. See how things go next month before I consider canceling. I don't mind the smaller brush, but I haven't seen it in person.

My brush even had glue all over the bristles and when I finally got all the glue off it was frayed...I am not happy.

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My brush even had glue all over the bristles and when I finally got all the glue off it was frayed...I am not happy.
I get empty nail polish bottles with brushes for frankening, and the brushes do typically have exactly the kind of glue on them that the replacements did, so the glue wasn't really a surprise for me.  I hadn't switched them out for the brushes in the polishes, but it did seem like something was off with them, and now that I see the pictures, I see what the problem is.  One of the main reasons I like Julep's polishes is the wide, flat brush.  For some reason, that's what I always remember their brushes being like.  

But.  The replacement-style brush is the one in my bottle of Melissa, Charlotte, Jaime, Trina, Stella, base coat, and pretty much all of the other ones I just checked and have already forgotten the names of.  The wide, flat brush is in Fina, the nail treatment, and maybe a couple more I haven't found yet.  I've received all of these at various times, and some were newly-released polishes at the time I received them, so it's not like they just switched over to a new brush.  It seems very haphazard and inconsistent.

When does Julep announce the next month (June) boxes? I don't recall if they do it soon THIS month, or next month?? I assume soon.

They should announce in the next few days, because we usually have the chance to opt out by the 24th of the month. Isn't that about right? I think I'll be skipping a month or two, since I'm not pleased with the brush debacle and signed up for Glossybox.

Their official plan is to announce on the 20th of every month, cut off changes on the 24th, charge on the 25th, and ship on the 26th (this is the part that seems to be the most subject to change, though).  I just checked what they did in November since that was the last time the 20th was on a Sunday, and they did send out the announcement on that Sunday, so we should see it tomorrow.

My replacement brushes are terrible too. The bristles are sparse and bunched together unevenly so they're sticking out all over.

I've been on the fence with Julep; I'll see what's in the June box, and buy it if I like it, but I think this is my last month. Between the uneven consistency of various polishes, the brush issue and being subscribed to 7 sub services I've got subscription fatigue.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

YIKES! Those look like the cheap brushes found in dollar polishes. Even Wet n Wild's brushes look better than that! BTW - Mind if I borrow that image for a blog post? Credit to you of course.

I just got my May box yesterday and already this has happened.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Just wondering if mine was defective or if its just poor quality overall. 

Just got the email for the June boxes. Some nice summer colors. I usually get the It Girl box, I might keep that, or go with Classic with a Twist.

It Girl:
Sasha: Fresh cantaloupe melon creme
Morgan: Frosty grape purple
Sandra: Friendly frosty magenta

Classic With A Twist:
Lauren: Hot tropical pink creme
Claire: Sky blue creme
Julep Daylight Defense SPF 30

Back