Julep Mystery Box: Jewel Heist

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the first box, send September 10, due to arrive September 22-26, the weight is 0.7659 lbs. For the second box, sent September 15, due to arrive September 27-October 2, the weight is 3.2209 lbs. I haven't received any notification indicating that I'm a winner, but equally, I've checked, and there's nothing that I've ordered recently other than the Jewel Heist box. I suppose I could contact customer support?
Yay!!! That's so exciting for you!! So happy a MUT Sista is a winner!!

For the first box, send September 10, due to arrive September 22-26, the weight is 0.7659 lbs.  For the second box, sent September 15, due to arrive September 27-October 2, the weight is 3.2209 lbs.  I haven't received any notification indicating that I'm a winner, but equally, I've checked, and there's nothing that I've ordered recently other than the Jewel Heist box.  I suppose I could contact customer support?  
OMG you have to be a winner!  None of the box weights spoiled so far are that heavy.  Get those nails ready for sparkle party!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For the first box, send September 10, due to arrive September 22-26, the weight is 0.7659 lbs.  For the second box, sent September 15, due to arrive September 27-October 2, the weight is 3.2209 lbs.  I haven't received any notification indicating that I'm a winner, but equally, I've checked, and there's nothing that I've ordered recently other than the Jewel Heist box.  I suppose I could contact customer support?  
Congrats! Seems like you're one of the 50 winners.

BTW - the more I think about my boxes the more pissed off I am. Why? Because one of the items - specifically the lip gloss - was originally released in July 2012! It's a TWO YEAR OLD LIP GLOSS! The packaging is the original lip gloss packaging and not the newer ones from late 2013 which means these were made at least a year ago if not from the original run! GROSS!

Second the remaining two items that have been on clearance, aka "sale" have been on sale since at least July or August 2013. Yes, I did look up the pages on Wayback Machine to confirm these have been on clearance for a very long time. Essentially, Julep used the Jewel Heist Mystery box coupled with the giveaway to get rid of old clearance stuff have has not moved.

I've complained to them via email and on their Facebook page as well as in a blog post on my site. Frankly, had they included a newer lip gloss that would be fine however what they sent was one from OVER two years ago! Yuk and gross! I'm happy I paid only $9.99 per box rather than $24.99 otherwise I'd have been on the phone super upset.

This is a new low for Julep mystery boxes I think. I received box 2 with the eyeshadow and 1 polish as anticipated (given my 0.66 weight box).

I sent an email expressing my unhappiness and false advertising of the mystery box containing "polishes." I told them they should have called it a beauty box with A surprise polish. Anyway, I was surprised to get a response the next day indicating they were sorry and sending me a new box. Which is box 1..as zadidoll and others have received.

Looking back I think the CS might not have understood my email, and thought I was complaining the box only had 1 polish period. Hmmm..

Anyway, very excited for the winner here!!! I hope Julep doesn't come up with anything ever again that could tempt me into another crap box. Ugh. I just couldn't resist the chance of winning a glitter birthstone bonanza. It is my weakness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've complained to them via email and on their Facebook page as well as in a blog post on my site. Frankly, had they included a newer lip gloss that would be fine however what they sent was one from OVER two years ago! Yuk and gross! I'm happy I paid only $9.99 per box rather than $24.99 otherwise I'd have been on the phone super upset.
And considering if you google "shelf life of Julep Lip Gloss" their own blog entry from this year regarding shelf life of cosmetics is a search result which lists lip gloss as 1-2 years shelf life.

Gross! @@DragonChick you're right. Here's their blog article about it. Which means not only did they dump customers with a two year old lip gloss but also an expired two year old lip gloss!

http://www.julep.com/blog/how-to-clean-out-your-beauty-supplies/
Thanks for posting the link, I completely spaced on it last night.

I sent them an email about the expired lip gloss and referenced their blog link. We'll see what kind of response I get back, if I get a response back.

That only refers to the time after you open the product .. so once you use the gloss, it's good for 1-2 years. I wouldn't be worried about them being old ... it's just disappointing to receive a product that is only included cause they want to get rid of it. But, to me that's what the julep mystery boxes are about .. sadly.

Unfortunately the two glosses appear to have a loose seal. This is why my original one exploded because the seal was faulty.

Essentially, Julep used the Jewel Heist Mystery box coupled with the giveaway to get rid of old clearance stuff have has not moved.
I haven't been with Julep long.  I bought my first mystery box last month (Golden Ticket) and I suspected what you said above even then.  Your pictures only confirm that!  My box arrives today and I guess I have some yellow and green and brown polishes to look forward to, based on the shipping weight.  I have learned my lesson and will not order another one of these.

On the bright side, at least my MeowBox is also coming today so I can watch my cats going crazy upon exposure to catnip toys, which always cheers me up.

I got the same box with the yellow, green, brown, and such. Not happy, I won't wear any of those colors. Oh well.

OK, I do like Padma.  But I'm pretty meh about the other colors.  At least they're not exact duplicates of anything I already have.  My gloss was fine (and closed tightly) but I can't get excited about pink lip gloss when I have like two dozen of them already.  Will use the overnight hand repair stuff in a few months because my hands do get really bad in the winter.  I guess I got my $15 worth but there's nothing really exciting about it.  I might as well have bought $15 worth of lottery tickets with the same money.

But, today was a pretty good haul for me overall.  MeowBox was great.  Got my first Level Naturals "The Good Box" and I like it (and just the soap sitting in my living room is making the whole room smell really nice).  And some "try for $2" samples from Abe's Market arrived.  So 4 packages in one day!

Here is the reply from "Shawn Brady". (really?!)

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear you're dissatisfied with our most recent Mystery Box. These are a mystery so there is no guarantee as to what will be included in your package. The Jewel Heist theme of this Mystery Box was in reference to the contest all Mystery Box purchasers were entered in with their purchase. We apologize that you did not receive the products you were anticipating. We love hearing feedback from our Mavens in order to make future promotions better. We will pass this information along to the proper departments.

The value of the Mystery Boxes is based on the retail value of the products before any discounts. This is just as we would say for Maven Boxes that they include $40+ worth of products. The Julep Lip Vernis – Peony was first introduced in 2012 but has been manufactured again since the original introduction of this product. None of the products sent out are expired.

All of these boxes are final sale. We are not able to provide a refund or replacement products for any of the boxes sent. We do want to make sure that you receive something that you enjoy. We have awarded your account 950 Jules for an add-on of your choice in the future. We hope you can find something perfect in your next Maven Box.

Again we are sorry for your frustrations. Please let us know if you have any other questions and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Your Julep Beauty Advisor
My reply:

[SIZE=11pt]What Julep sent out was a TWO YEAR OLD LIP GLOSS. The Peony lip gloss is from the 2012 American Beauty box. I have this gloss already ready. It has been on sale since July 2013 for $5.99 which indicates to me that Julep decided to throw into this mystery box expired lip glosses. Yes, EXPIRED. The Julep’s OWN BLOG states that lip glosses have a shelf life of TWO YEARS. It’s September 2014 which means these glosses are at least 26 months old and possibly far much older depending on when it was made.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]It is NOT acceptable for EXPIRED product to be sent. Guarantee or not, disclaimer or not, Julep sent out EXPIRED lip gloss![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]http://www.julep.com/blog/how-to-clean-out-your-beauty-supplies/[/SIZE]

Lip gloss and lipstick

Shelf life: 1 to 2 years

[SIZE=11pt]http://www.julep.com/blog/match-your-lips-to-your-accesories/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]My lip gloss from 2012 - https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10497487_836920186340893_1718482932915144728_o.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The lip glosses sent - https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/1597699_836932013006377_5835488720827411298_o.jpg & https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/1617245_836932009673044_3109231400904352764_o.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I understand you’re doing your job however the product is from 2012 and does not contain a lot # to verify that it was made within the last two years. It is in the exact same packaging as my original lip gloss from 2012 and newer lip glosses are in a different packaging. I would like to know when my glosses were manufactured as there are no lot #s to identify when these were made. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Frankly if this situation is not remedied I will have no choice but to dispute the charges with my bank including the original email showing not only the name of the mystery box – Jewel Heist. The image and name of the mystery box nor the disclaimer make it clear that what is being sent are products that have been on sale since mid-2013 and this is where the bait and switch/deceptive advertising practices come in. I may now live in MA however I’m from WA and I do know that the WA ATG office does take these types of tactics seriously. I have yet to file a complaint with my bank or with the ATG or the FTC however I will be filing those complaints shortly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=7pt]Offer expires on 9/14/2014 at 11:59pm PT, or while supplies last. Purchase of multiple Jewel Heist Mystery Boxes may result in polish or product overlap. Offer may not be combined with any other promotional offer or discount (e.g. Maven 20% discount). No exchanges or returns are possible on Mystery Box, individual items, or add-ons. Estimated full retail value is at least $100.00 for all Jewel Heist Mystery boxes. Taxes vary by location. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=7pt]The 51 prize winners will be randomly selected from Mystery Box orders placed 9/8/2014 through 9/14/2014. Prizes may ship separately from Mystery Box order. Winners will be notified via email from the address in the account. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]http://web.archive.org/web/20130709174735/http://www.julep.com/julep-lip-vernis-peony.html[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]http://web.archive.org/web/20131205234112/http://www.julep.com/night-night-overnight-repair-for-hands.html[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]http://web.archive.org/web/20130806094425/http://www.julep.com/nadia.html[/SIZE]

BTW - someone informed me that these glosses SHOULD have a lot # on the tube. Mine did not, as far as I can tell, maybe I'm just being dumb and not seeing it. If anyone received Peony will you check to see if yours has a lot # on the tube, please?

BTW - someone informed me that these glosses SHOULD have a lot # on the tube. Mine did not, as far as I can tell, maybe I'm just being dumb and not seeing it. If anyone received Peony will you check to see if yours has a lot # on the tube, please?
There is a number on the back of mine, 42389 image.jpg

I have zero interest in a pink lipgloss and intended to give it to my five year old or a niece to play with. But if it's expired......

Back