Julep October 2012 Boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like few other things in life, nail polish is one of those things when once you mess up, you should just either accept and move on with your life or completely start over. Fixing is not an option.

So I put on Leslie (black with shimmer) and... it's sadly one of those polishes that's prettier in the bottle than on the nail. xiehan pointed out to me it would be worth it to try with a matte coat but i don't have a matte coat right now QQ I also prefer this formula 2x more than what I got in August -- I don't know if they're changing stuff up or what, but I definitely feel like it's more manageable.

I'm painting Kleancolor Vegas Night over it tomorrow, and I figured it would be worth it to get two swatches out of the way at once so I didn't put a top coat on this and i just want to say -- the quick dry drops did make a difference. Nail polish is usually tacky for up to a day after you paint it on, but usually at least an hour or two, and putting it on made it hard pretty much almost instantly. I didn't see much of a difference with a quick-dry top coat, but I can see it being useful for things like doing nail art.

Lastly, just a tip on how to make the drops manageable: squeeze out all the liquid out of the pipet first, then dip it into the liquid once. This should give you exactly one or two drops -- enough to dry a nail, rather than worrying about how hard you have to squeeze.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this month's products. It's been a while since I rocked a black polish (which used to be my MO). I wish Leslie looked as good as it did in the bottle, but it's definitely not a bad color.

I just got my email about the Trick or Treat Box. Anyone else see it/consider opting into it?  http://www.julep.com/trick-or-treat.html#
Got it..skipping.. it's more or less like a regular box, but maybe you get the scarf or bracelet? Which are cool, but not enough to make me buy. I think I'm burnt out on Julep. The formula isn't that great and I'd rather buy some Orly, China Glaze, OPI or my fave, Zoya! Heck with the first two companies, I can walk away with 2 new polishes as opposed to one Julep. Wish those other companies would do a sub box or club option! I'd be all over that like nobody's business lol!!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is underwhelmed by the quality of Julep's actual polish. They've had a few fun colors, don't get me wrong, but their formula is such that I doubt I'll ever buy anything outside of mysteryboxes.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is underwhelmed by the quality of Julep's actual polish. They've had a few fun colors, don't get me wrong, but their formula is such that I doubt I'll ever buy anything outside of mysteryboxes.
Yep, I'm sticking around for mystery boxes at this point. Their product line is interesting, too. Although I have mostly full tubs and bottles of nail/hand stuff to finish lol.

Originally Posted by Annie92 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got my email about the Trick or Treat Box. Anyone else see it/consider opting into it? 

http://www.julep.com/trick-or-treat.html#
Yes, I ordered it.  I skipped October in an effort to save $$ and so I guess I can justify the box since Halloween is probably my favorite holiday.  Plus, I love surprises.  Just really hope I don't get colors I already have, but I feel optimistic cause I have only been with Julep since April and haven't received any "Halloween" type colors from them.

I got one too! I skipped Oct. because I have too many crackle already, and I had alot going on when they released the non crackle box......excited about those nail decals (they said they will be in every box)! 

Does anyone else feel like this trick or treat box is what they should have done for October's box in the first place?  Seems like they are just trying to suck in the people who skipped because of the crackles.  I wish they at least gave us a list of all of the colors that might be included; hard to make a decision without knowing what the polish colors will be.  

Originally Posted by ngardner8503 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got one too! I skipped Oct. because I have too many crackle already, and I had alot going on when they released the non crackle box......excited about those nail decals (they said they will be in every box)! 
Where did you see that?  The description I'm looking at says "Spooky surprises could include a skull bracelet, skull scarf, limited edition nail colors, or Halloween nail decals."  The "could" and the "or" make me think that's not a definite.  I'd consider getting it if a) I knew I was getting the decals PLUS one of those items, and B) I knew I was getting the black with purple glitter shown on the website.  I don't think I have anything like it in my collection.

Originally Posted by lauradiniwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where did you see that?  The description I'm looking at says "Spooky surprises could include a skull bracelet, skull scarf, limited edition nail colors, or Halloween nail decals."  The "could" and the "or" make me think that's not a definite.  I'd consider getting it if a) I knew I was getting the decals PLUS one of those items, and B) I knew I was getting the black with purple glitter shown on the website.  I don't think I have anything like it in my collection.
I saw it on their FB comments.  Maybe they're just writing "or" so it keeps the mystery and apparently they've edited the post:

• Julep We want to let everyone in on a secret! Every box WILL include the 20 spooky nail decals as seen above + more fun Halloween treats.
    2 hours ago · Edited · Like · 7

Originally Posted by mjkdior713 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saw it on their FB comments.  Maybe they're just writing "or" so it keeps the mystery and apparently they've edited the post:

• Julep We want to let everyone in on a secret! Every box WILL include the 20 spooky nail decals as seen above + more fun Halloween treats.
    2 hours ago · Edited · Like · 7

and then in later comments they go on to say "or" again.  So it's really anyone's guess.

I'm not getting one. But I agree that it should have been the box options to begin with. I'm definitely going to be skipping some upcoming months unless the colors are ones I must have.

Hi everyone, I'm new to MUT but have been a loyal Julep patron for a few years now.  I actually just became a Maven, since for a penny I couldn't really turn down some more pedi cream (seriously that stuff is freakin' amazing), with a bonus of two new polish colors.  Since I live in the Seattle area, I actually go to one of their salons about once a month for a pedi with a girlfriend. 

I think it's really interesting so many people aren't a fan of their polish formula, because I think it's awesome!  I love that it's better for you and the environment than typical formulas, but more importantly I find mine lasts a REALLY long time.  Like, my pedis seriously look good for about a month (as opposed to two-three weeks with the standard strip mall places) and when I do my own nails at home I have a solid three days without any major chips, so most manis I can easily stretch to five days in my corporate workplace (AND I beat on my hands pretty good).  The women working there have pointed out that it does take longer to dry than the average polish, but once it dries you are good to go.  I'm just wondering if people with chipping/peeling issues are applying it too thickly or not leaving enough time in between coats?  Or maybe using their base and/or top coat with the colors makes a difference?  Just curious, I think it's weird some of us love them and others don't!  

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which salon do you go to? I wanted to go on my birthday but got side tracked.
The Bellevue one.  I've tried the downtown Seattle one a few times, but the service just isn't quite as good and they always seem snooty, whereas in Bellevue they are always awesome (which surprised me, since it's Bellevue).  PLUS the Bellevue one has wine :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I haven't tried Gig Harbor or the U District ones.

I always get the Julep pedi, which comes with either a drink (the wine is about $10/glass, but really good) or full-sized new polish.  I'm a Julep member, which means I pay $56/mo for one of four services - I honestly forget the other two because I usually get the Julep pedi (normally around $72) or hour facial (normally around $90!!!) occasionally, and if I don't go in a particular month you can bank your services.  They also do appreciation events a few times a year where you get some free goodies. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought the Julep salon in Bellevue closed because they never renewed their salon license.

Haha, well, maybe they are just operating without a license?  I just was there a week ago so they are definitely still in business!

Quote: I think it's really interesting so many people aren't a fan of their polish formula, because I think it's awesome!  I love that it's better for you and the environment than typical formulas, but more importantly I find mine lasts a REALLY long time.  
Are you talking about in terms of general polishes including drugstore ones, or also including salon-brand and high-end polishes? Because Zoya is very very much about being vegan and having a healthy formula (to the extent the packing foam they use is water soluable and dissolves), and Butter London is also a three-free brand, and has about 0.13oz more polish than Julep per bottle for the same price. 

I am of the opinion that Julep's polishes are a lot better than most drugstore polishes, as it should be. But compared to its cohort (salon polishes or high-end polishes), it's really nothing particularly special. I think a lot of people are saying that for its price, Julep polish doesn't seem to be performing as well as it should be. I liked this round of Julep polish (It Girl) formulas more than I did the welcome box I got back in August (Rose + Robin), but Leslie still chipped for me within 3 days with top+base, whereas I can wear a mani for 4-9 days without problem. I think the frustration a lot of people feel is that Julep's price is not justified by its quality a lot of times.

I definitely liked their other products more than their polish, which is why I'm still around, but the selling point of being a Maven is supposedly in the polish...

Originally Posted by WanderlustinWA /img/forum/go_quote.gif The women working there have pointed out that it does take longer to dry than the average polish, but once it dries you are good to go.  I'm just wondering if people with chipping/peeling issues are applying it too thickly or not leaving enough time in between coats?  Or maybe using their base and/or top coat with the colors makes a difference?  Just curious, I think it's weird some of us love them and others don't!  
I think there may be differences in body chemistry that make the difference for some. I don't really have a huge issue with peeling/chipping, when I apply it properly and not in a rush, but I don't care for their formula as it's a bit thicker than I prefer.

I think there may be differences in body chemistry that make the difference for some. I don't really have a huge issue with peeling/chipping, when I apply it properly and not in a rush, but I don't care for their formula as it's a bit thicker than I prefer.
Word. In regards to pedis, I've used .99 polishes and had them last a month. I expect long wear on my toes, regardless of what brand. Most companies do offer 3 free formulas, even some drugstore brands. I agree, for the price point and small thick amount of polish, I expect more. Julep can't stand next to Zoya, who's just as green and much cheaper! Side note, the Gig Harbor parlor's okay.. but I'm perfectly happy to hit up my old "strip mall" parlor, where my techs are friendlier and not as snotty.

Back