Julep October 2012 Boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you talking about in terms of general polishes including drugstore ones, or also including salon-brand and high-end polishes? Because Zoya is very very much about being vegan and having a healthy formula (to the extent the packing foam they use is water soluable and dissolves), and Butter London is also a three-free brand, and has about 0.13oz more polish than Julep per bottle for the same price. 

I am of the opinion that Julep's polishes are a lot better than most drugstore polishes, as it should be. But compared to its cohort (salon polishes or high-end polishes), it's really nothing particularly special. I think a lot of people are saying that for its price, Julep polish doesn't seem to be performing as well as it should be. I liked this round of Julep polish (It Girl) formulas more than I did the welcome box I got back in August (Rose + Robin), but Leslie still chipped for me within 3 days with top+base, whereas I can wear a mani for 4-9 days without problem. I think the frustration a lot of people feel is that Julep's price is not justified by its quality a lot of times.

I definitely liked their other products more than their polish, which is why I'm still around, but the selling point of being a Maven is supposedly in the polish...
I've actually never tried Zoya or Butter....I got into Julep from going to the parlors, and because I pay for the membership (and now Maven as well) I've never had to pay full price for their polish - $14 for nail polish just isn't my thing since I don't tend to wear it 24/7 and get sick of colors quickly.  So, your argument makes total sense because I've always compared them to OPI, essie, etc. since those were the other brands I've tended to buy.  But, it seems there are so many cheaper sources for getting Julep it would surprise me that MUT peeps regularly pay full price, whereas I'm not aware of as many Zoya/Butter deals (so those effectively end up costing more).

And it's interesting different colors tend to chip more than others!  I'm going to watch for that more closely now, I'm curious how mine hold up next to each other.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Word. In regards to pedis, I've used .99 polishes and had them last a month. I expect long wear on my toes, regardless of what brand. Most companies do offer 3 free formulas, even some drugstore brands. I agree, for the price point and small thick amount of polish, I expect more. Julep can't stand next to Zoya, who's just as green and much cheaper! Side note, the Gig Harbor parlor's okay.. but I'm perfectly happy to hit up my old "strip mall" parlor, where my techs are friendlier and not as snotty.
Ugh, I'm so jealous the cheap stuff lasts for you!  I'm a huge klutz that walks around barefoot constantly so I'm sure that doesn't help.

I hadn't really done much research on the green polishes, so it's good to know there is more competition out there than I thought.  Once I find something I like I just tend to stick with it out of laziness :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good to know they are snotty in Gig Harbor, I've almost gone there a few times!  The cheaper places around me are totally hit or miss, so I love the consistency of Julep in B-Vue.  And 50% of it may be that I love drinking wine while getting a pedi :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I'm wearing a Butter London polish that chipped on me within 2 days, whereas I've had better luck with Julep. Honestly, I wouldn't (and haven't) pay full price for either.  There are plenty of good polishes for much less.  But, I do like Julep's Maven program and enjoy receiving the non polish products as an extra.  Julep has shown quite a bit of marketing savvy in offering a subscription service, IMO. 

Ugh, I'm so jealous the cheap stuff lasts for you!  I'm a huge klutz that walks around barefoot constantly so I'm sure that doesn't help. I hadn't really done much research on the green polishes, so it's good to know there is more competition out there than I thought.  Once I find something I like I just tend to stick with it out of laziness :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Good to know they are snotty in Gig Harbor, I've almost gone there a few times!  The cheaper places around me are totally hit or miss, so I love the consistency of Julep in B-Vue.  And 50% of it may be that I love drinking wine while getting a pedi :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
Like Zadi said earlier, I'm surprised at the Bellevue being more chill than Seattle. Lol, maybe they dip into their wine supply. If I ever hit a nail parlor, I go to a family owned one 5 minutes away from me. They're super friendly and know me well. I've been going there off and on for close to six years now. I know to only let the mama and owner Lin wax my brows, and so do the men who come in haha. She keeps enough to not leave me too thin, but not Groucho Marx looking. I don't care who does my pedis, because they're all pretty good, except Mai, a younger lady, always does my little designs best. They usually carry China Glaze, standard to many salons.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm wearing a Butter London polish that chipped on me within 2 days, whereas I've had better luck with Julep. Honestly, I wouldn't (and haven't) pay full price for either.  There are plenty of good polishes for much less.  But, I do like Julep's Maven program and enjoy receiving the non polish products as an extra.  Julep has shown quite a bit of marketing savvy in offering a subscription service, IMO. 

It really varies on me what lasts more than a couple of days and what lasts almost a week, and this is from Julep, Butter, Zoya, Illamasqua, and the assorted cheapo polishes I own. If I'm speeding through application/drying, then it bites me later on, there're so many variables that lead to the color not lasting for whatever reason.

But I digress... while the Halloween box is soooo tempting, I need to be good and not cave since the Zoya holiday sparklies are coming out tomorrow.

Is it me or after looking at the "jules" faq page and feeling like they're implementing this point program (great!), which is clearly catered more to the new maven (oh look you're new, have some bonus points, but you've been around a few months before we started this cool program? Here, start at zero.) I'm not saying I want to be prorated for everything, but I think extending the "signup points" to everyone who is a current maven would have been a very nice gesture.

Originally Posted by mjkdior713 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and then in later comments they go on to say "or" again.  So it's really anyone's guess.
Thanks!  I read Julep's blog but always forget to check the facebook page.  I didn't end up getting one this time, hopefully I won't regret it.  

Originally Posted by WanderlustinWA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it's really interesting so many people aren't a fan of their polish formula, because I think it's awesome!  I love that it's better for you and the environment than typical formulas, but more importantly I find mine lasts a REALLY long time.  Like, my pedis seriously look good for about a month (as opposed to two-three weeks with the standard strip mall places) and when I do my own nails at home I have a solid three days without any major chips, so most manis I can easily stretch to five days in my corporate workplace (AND I beat on my hands pretty good).  The women working there have pointed out that it does take longer to dry than the average polish, but once it dries you are good to go.  I'm just wondering if people with chipping/peeling issues are applying it too thickly or not leaving enough time in between coats?  Or maybe using their base and/or top coat with the colors makes a difference?  Just curious, I think it's weird some of us love them and others don't!  
I don't have any chipping or peeling issues with Julep, it's more that it's hard to work with due to the fact that the formula SO INCONSISTENT.  I was lucky enough to get a golden box in june, and about 5 of the polishes were normal, 2 were extremely runny, and 3 were thick and chunky.  Considering that these polishes are $14 for half the size of a regular polish, I expect much better.  It's $20 more expensive than an equivalent amount of OPI, which worked out the kinks in the 3 free formula years ago.  I have also noticed that I have a staining problem with certain Julep colors, which has never happened with years of essie, OPI, rescue beauty lounge, butter london, and zoya use.  You can probably assume that if we are here, we are all nail polish junkies and know how to apply it properly - it's not us, it's Julep's formula, I swear!  

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the (also insanely priced) products and the mystery boxes, so I keep coming back.  I just would never pay full price for anything there because they are clearly marking them up WAY, WAY, WAY above what they should given the quality, and they can't get away with that like Chanel can.  

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it me or after looking at the "jules" faq page and feeling like they're implementing this point program (great!), which is clearly catered more to the new maven (oh look you're new, have some bonus points, but you've been around a few months before we started this cool program? Here, start at zero.) I'm not saying I want to be prorated for everything, but I think extending the "signup points" to everyone who is a current maven would have been a very nice gesture.
Oh, that is rather sh*tty they don't give existing users bonus points!  Maybe if they get enough feedback they'll extend it to you guys.  It's obvious the "jules" are still in infancy, since I couldn't find anything on their site that shows what my 300 pts (whatever, I'm calling them points!) are actually worth.....1000 pts = a Maven box?  2000 pts = one polish?  They are clearly trying to mimic BB in that regard but need to do some tweaking.

On another note, with all the talk about Julep pricing and what their polishes are really worth.... I kind of feel like Maven has degraded the brand image as a high-end polish.  Don't get me wrong, I still love them and will continue to buy their products/services, but if I get the opportunity to buy basically everything they sell each month for $4.99 or less it signals an INSANE markup for basically no reason, and ensures I will never buy any of their stuff for full price (or even half off!). 

Originally Posted by WanderlustinWA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, that is rather sh*tty they don't give existing users bonus points!  Maybe if they get enough feedback they'll extend it to you guys.  It's obvious the "jules" are still in infancy, since I couldn't find anything on their site that shows what my 300 pts (whatever, I'm calling them points!) are actually worth.....1000 pts = a Maven box?  2000 pts = one polish?  They are clearly trying to mimic BB in that regard but need to do some tweaking.

On another note, with all the talk about Julep pricing and what their polishes are really worth.... I kind of feel like Maven has degraded the brand image as a high-end polish.  Don't get me wrong, I still love them and will continue to buy their products/services, but if I get the opportunity to buy basically everything they sell each month for $4.99 or less it signals an INSANE markup for basically no reason, and ensures I will never buy any of their stuff for full price (or even half off!). 
A maven's box is 2000, and I wasn't aware you could get polishes for points... at least not when I browse their shop.

And basically, "yes, this" to your last point.

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree

Just realized it's almost time for our November box preview...has it really already been a close to a month?  

Heh I joined the Maven program less than a week before the new Jules program, and did not get the bonus points as a newbie either. Oh well, I still enjoyed my welcome box with the 5 polishes and I'm looking forward to my first Maven box in November!

They just posted that November is Suedes damn I was going to skip November but now I have to get it!

The November thread is up now.

]  Any thoughts on what else they'll be send out this month?" data-tooltip0-timestamp="1 hour, 53 minutes ago" data-tooltip0-type="first" data-tooltip0-username="Squidling" href="https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/129703/julep-november-2012-boxes/0_100" id="yui_3_5_1_1_1350407646482_601">Julep: November 2012 boxes

I traded for Sofia since I wasn't able to get it with my Oct. box because it was sold out. Well, turns out I already have it. It was in one of my mystery boxes. oops. Now I have two. If anyone is still looking for it let me know. I really need to start keeping a list.

Julep is going to be getting a VERY confused call from me in the morning....I ordered one of the October Trick or Treat Boxes....and I live in Tempe, AZ. Apparently, according to the USPS, my box was DELIVERED to Kent, WA yesterday....No bueno. No Bueno, at all.

I finally broke out the quick dry drops. Mine smell like a lavender chamomille style thing. My boyfriend and I actually liked the smell.

Received my Trick or Treat box. Not thrilled. Can't get the pic to load but here's what I got:

3 polishes: Parker (which I received in a previous mystery box), Zoe (ordered from the secret store) and Morgan (not sure - may have this one too)

2 glitter pots: blue and purple

Nail Decals

No bracelet or scarf = bummed!!

Received my Trick or Treat box. Not thrilled. Can't get the pic to load but here's what I got:
3 polishes: Parker (which I received in a previous mystery box), Zoe (ordered from the secret store) and Morgan (not sure - may have this one too) 2 glitter pots: blue and purple Nail Decals No bracelet or scarf = bummed!!
Lame.. I thought it was you get one of the last two items for sure, not possibly. Lame and happy I didn't spring for one, because those two items were what I was mostly interested in.

Back