July 2013 No/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I bought razor blades this weekend.  I could have gone  a bit longer without buying them, but I had 2 coupons that together made them $7 off.  That's a good deal!  But somehow I can't stop feeling guilty for buying them.  I feel like a broke a no-buy, even though I didn't.  What's wrong with me?
Sometimes I feel bad too but hey when are you ever going to get a good deal on blades again?

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haven't been in one of these threads in a while, but it's time. No makeup for me for the rest of the month. Had unexpected surgery and lost a lot of pay at work. >.< Good luck everyone. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hope you are healing quickly!

Originally Posted by diana16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sometimes I feel bad too but hey when are you ever going to get a good deal on blades again?
And I will use them, and they don't go bad...I've made my peace with it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Official addition to my no-buy-for-the-rest-of-the-year list: lip balm. I love it, use it constantly, and will impulse-buy it in bulk, but I have probably a dozen unused tubes plus another dozen partially-used tubes as a direct result of all of these facts. Exception: essence trend edition lip balms. Essence TE stuff will always be on my exception list.

Other than bases/tops, has anyone (here) actually finished a bottle of polish before?

I've recently just finished a Sally Hansen Insta-dri top (love) and am trying to work through a Poshe mini (but it's getting goopy so I'll need to thin it). At this point, I'm just desperately trying to finish the 3.75mL S!OPI minis I have, to see if I can even do it. I only brought two with me and it's still pretty hard. I estimated you can probably get 10-11 manis out of an 8mL Julep, so you'd probably get about ~5 out of a mini. 

I can't justify buying more polish like EVER, but I always want more. My greatest weakness, lol

Other than bases/tops, has anyone (here) actually finished a bottle of polish before? I've recently just finished a Sally Hansen Insta-dri top (love) and am trying to work through a Poshe mini (but it's getting goopy so I'll need to thin it). At this point, I'm just desperately trying to finish the 3.75mL S!OPI minis I have, to see if I can even do it. I only brought two with me and it's still pretty hard. I estimated you can probably get 10-11 manis out of an 8mL Julep, so you'd probably get about ~5 out of a mini.  I can't justify buying more polish like EVER, but I always want more. My greatest weakness, lol
The closest I've come has been using half a bottle of a Liquid Euphoria polish -- and then I found out how rare and coveted it was, and I freaked out and stopped using it. I really should just use it up since I have several bottles of Fantasy Fire, which is pretty much exactly the same as the LE I'm halfway through, but I still think about how I will never be able to get my hands on it ever again once it's gone. Also, I hate to waste it on non-sunny days, which limits its use due to where I live.

Other than bases/tops, has anyone (here) actually finished a bottle of polish before? I've recently just finished a Sally Hansen Insta-dri top (love) and am trying to work through a Poshe mini (but it's getting goopy so I'll need to thin it). At this point, I'm just desperately trying to finish the 3.75mL S!OPI minis I have, to see if I can even do it. I only brought two with me and it's still pretty hard. I estimated you can probably get 10-11 manis out of an 8mL Julep, so you'd probably get about ~5 out of a mini.  I can't justify buying more polish like EVER, but I always want more. My greatest weakness, lol
Nope. Usually the polish goes bad or I get tired of seeing it so I give it away. I brought Sephora/OPI nail polish for the first time during their sale. I brought 2 mini sets but I can't wear the polishes for more than two days without chipping - I even tried using them with a different top coat/base than I usually wear. That's $30 down the drain. If I kept the packaging I honestly would have returned them. *sigh* Every time I splurge on polish (OPI, Julep, Zoya, Orly, etc.) it chips very quickly so I'm just going to stick to cheap polish. Anyways, that's my polish rant.

I've actually gotten below the top of the "ZOYA" on a full sized Zoya Jaime, but I don't think I can justify getting another until I'm at 1/3rd. I've also used probably about half of S!OPI Just a Little Dangerous, which I f'love. I'm not sure if I can justify getting a backup even though it's on sale/probably going OOS because I just have so many purples, and on top of that, so many dark purples. LOL the greatest weakness of my great weaknesses.

I just prefer salon//high end polish better. I guess it makes me a snoot, but for me, drug store polishes just don't work as well. I gave up after getting like 5 bottles of Sally Hansen (though their insta-dri top coat is super A++). I can't really justify the high prices of actual high end brands like Chanel or YSL, but I try to get other brands when they're on sale.

It makes me so depressed to think I've spent hundred upon hundreds of dollars on NP, with so many I haven't even tried once yet. ._. It happens, I guses.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Other than bases/tops, has anyone (here) actually finished a bottle of polish before?

I've recently just finished a Sally Hansen Insta-dri top (love) and am trying to work through a Poshe mini (but it's getting goopy so I'll need to thin it). At this point, I'm just desperately trying to finish the 3.75mL S!OPI minis I have, to see if I can even do it. I only brought two with me and it's still pretty hard. I estimated you can probably get 10-11 manis out of an 8mL Julep, so you'd probably get about ~5 out of a mini. 

I can't justify buying more polish like EVER, but I always want more. My greatest weakness, lol
This is one of my goals! I'll probably reach the end of my favorite red eventually since I use it 50% of the time for pedicures.

I'm currently on a no buy for July as well, but man, it's tough. I bought some deoderant and shampoo/conditioner/dry shampoo just because I had a coupon, and I knew I didn't need it. I just needed it for backup, I guess? But I'm determined to get through this month with both empty products and more money!

Originally Posted by sydneychantelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm currently on a no buy for July as well, but man, it's tough. I bought some deoderant and shampoo/conditioner/dry shampoo just because I had a coupon, and I knew I didn't need it. I just needed it for backup, I guess? But I'm determined to get through this month with both empty products and more money!
This is the toughest thing for me too! What I keep telling myself to avoid temptation is, (most of us) have enough stuff to last a while, and coupons, deals, sales will probably come around again by the time we're done using all of this up. My new mantra has become, "there will be another sale. There WILL be another sale." lol

"There will be another sale" is always how I talk myself down from it. We're only a few months away from Black Friday now too. :| I'm sure most of us have way more than enough stuff to last until then.

--though I actually do legitimately need more eye makeup remover. I like Sephora brand's dual one, and I hate paying for shipping so I'll probably have to make a purchase with a few extra things like the UD and S!OPI polishes on sale. I've been really good and haven't made a sephora purchase since January! (Except for chic week for a YSL lipstick, but I returned that untouched XD so it doesn't count). C'mon paycheck XD!

I have to start using that mantra! I also work in a drugstore so it's hard not to buy whatever, because I'm always so familiar with sales and my discount! :/

I'm working on a mantra of "Replacement, not stockpile."  I have a serious problem with buying stuff now for use later.  When I do that, I end up saving it even past when I decide it's okay to use it, and then I just keep buying more to use *now* so I don't use the stuff intended for *later* even though the designated *later* was three months ago.  I'm currently working on convincing myself to not buy the fall Allure box because I've barely used any of the stuff from the summer box.  It's rough going.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've finished the occasional mini-bottle, but never, ever a full size.  I will no longer allow myself to buy full size bottles because of this.

I'm trying for a no-buy, excluding conditioner if I run out. This is my first month doing this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I hope I can do it! I generally don't buy a lot of makeup per month, I just have wishlists XD

Bored on Sunday, started counting all the products that I have and properly organizing them. Turns out I have...

11 foil packets

40 deluxe samples

86 full size

icon_eek.gif
 ... and that's not even including Nail Polish. This no buy definitely needs to last longer than just the month of July! 
smile.gif

I'm joining low-no buy for this month. So far I haven't bought anything unless sandals count, they were on sale & I badly needed a new pair.  

I think I can manage a no buy this month, I do have my ipsy coming so I'll have that at least.

I'll try and stay strong until August....it's not that far away! 
blink.gif

Originally Posted by casualconcern /img/forum/go_quote.gif My new mantra has become, "there will be another sale. There WILL be another sale." lol
i need this mantra. i need it written on sticky notes and posted all over my house.

Zoya got me with their Liberty/4th of July promo, then i bought some mineral eyeshadows on sale on etsy and finally i completely broke down for the IT cosmetics on QVC. Ugh.

Nope. Usually the polish goes bad or I get tired of seeing it so I give it away. I brought Sephora/OPI nail polish for the first time during their sale. I brought 2 mini sets but I can't wear the polishes for more than two days without chipping - I even tried using them with a different top coat/base than I usually wear. That's $30 down the drain. If I kept the packaging I honestly would have returned them. *sigh* Every time I splurge on polish (OPI, Julep, Zoya, Orly, etc.) it chips very quickly so I'm just going to stick to cheap polish. Anyways, that's my polish rant.
I'm pretty sure sephora has a generous return policy- regardless of packaging, receipt/no receipt, how long you've used it, etc. you can and should bring it back if you're not satisfied. That's a lot of money to not be happy with your nail polish!

Back