July 2013 No/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm working on a mantra of "Replacement, not stockpile."  I have a serious problem with buying stuff now for use later.  When I do that, I end up saving it even past when I decide it's okay to use it, and then I just keep buying more to use *now* so I don't use the stuff intended for *later* even though the designated *later* was three months ago.  I'm currently working on convincing myself to not buy the fall Allure box because I've barely used any of the stuff from the summer box.  It's rough going.

Funny, I've spent my entire day attempting to talk myself out of the exact same box. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm putting myself on a no-buy until the end of the month, and probably into August if I manage that well. Target got way too much of my money this month, so I really need to go through and use up more of what I have! My birthday is at the end of the month, so I'm allowing myself to get my free birthday goodies from Sephora, and that's it.

Time to face the confessional booth... I purchased a new nail polish, but it's a gift for a friend (promise!).

Anyone ever just feel like they've got the blues with what they have? Everything in my stash is starting to look boring. Lol, I am 99% sure this is a psychological mind trick from promising myself a low-buy, but alas, every new product seems more interesting and effective than what I already have!!

Time to face the confessional booth... I purchased a new nail polish, but it's a gift for a friend (promise!). Anyone ever just feel like they've got the blues with what they have? Everything in my stash is starting to look boring. Lol, I am 99% sure this is a psychological mind trick from promising myself a low-buy, but alas, every new product seems more interesting and effective than what I already have!!
I recommend putting everything away but a handful of colors each month. Box it up and get it completely away from your makeup area. Once a month/season, go through and swap out whatever you have been using for stuff you had in storage. I was bored bored bored with my winter stuff and finally boxed it up a few months ago. Last night, I came across it while looking for something else, and they were all suddenly very exciting, but I'm still not wearing them until fall kicks in.

Time to face the confessional booth... I purchased a new nail polish, but it's a gift for a friend (promise!). Anyone ever just feel like they've got the blues with what they have? Everything in my stash is starting to look boring. Lol, I am 99% sure this is a psychological mind trick from promising myself a low-buy, but alas, every new product seems more interesting and effective than what I already have!!
I've been feeling this way too. It doesn't help that new fall collections are coming out.
I recommend putting everything away but a handful of colors each month. Box it up and get it completely away from your makeup area. Once a month/season, go through and swap out whatever you have been using for stuff you had in storage. I was bored bored bored with my winter stuff and finally boxed it up a few months ago. Last night, I came across it while looking for something else, and they were all suddenly very exciting, but I'm still not wearing them until fall kicks in.
I might try this. As of today, I have not brought any cosmetic/beauty items in exactly 30 days (not including sub boxes). :party: I only got three makeup items in my sub boxes but none are things I would use. With the money I saved I brought new items for my new apartment and a muji 5 drawer set for my makeup collection.

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been feeling this way too. It doesn't help that new fall collections are coming out.

I might try this.

As of today, I have not brought any cosmetic/beauty items in exactly 30 days (not including sub boxes).
party.gif
I only got three makeup items in my sub boxes but none are things I would use. With the money I saved I brought new items for my new apartment and a muji 5 drawer set for my makeup collection.
Congrats, that's awesome! 
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I took your advice and put it all away in the guest bathroom, which I hardly go into except to clean. Just have the daily routine stuff in my drawer now - it does feel liberating!

I had to order an eyeliner.  Without realizing it, I'm suddenly so close to out I'm hoping it'll last until the new one gets here!  But I only use liner to tightline, and I only use a Stila Smude Stick for that.  (My eyes are really sensitive, and they water and I rub them, so any other eyeliner is wasted on me.)  Not too upset about this order, despite breaking my no-buy.  I didn't buy the Lip Factory I'd prepared to allow myself if it were really great, and this month will be my last Starbox.  If I can keep to just replacing staples like this, I won't have a hoarding problem any more in the future!

Joining on a low buy! I'm allowing myself a foundation, one Lush product, and maybe the Maybelline gel liner. Let's hope I stick to this!

I got underwear and a sports bra, as well as conditioner, but I needed all of those, so I broke my no-buy for a good cause :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> AND I got them all at Costco so they were cheap :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got underwear and a sports bra, as well as conditioner, but I needed all of those, so I broke my no-buy for a good cause :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> AND I got them all at Costco so they were cheap :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hey, I spent a ton of money Saturday on boring needed stuff at Costco, too! Toilet paper, toothbrushes, and deodorant. The glamorous life of a single woman in the medium-sized city. I didn't need it all *right this minute*, but I put in a lot of overtime last pay period, so I decided that I should go ahead and spend the money now so I wouldn't have to put off buying more if the need arose during a broke week.

I brought shower gel, a body moisturizer, and a clear lip liner. I was out of those things and since they aren't color cosmetics I *technically* didn't break my no-buy.

I am about to break my no buy.  I realized that I am leaving for college in a few weeks and I don't own any concealer, I have been borrowing my little sister's. So, I am finally going to order the Benefit Erase Paste that I have been wanting and pick up the Hard Candy concealer next time I go to Walmart.  

But I still feel bad about it..

Originally Posted by BeautyLoverIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am about to break my no buy.  I realized that I am leaving for college in a few weeks and I don't own any concealer, I have been borrowing my little sister's. So, I am finally going to order the Benefit Erase Paste that I have been wanting and pick up the Hard Candy concealer next time I go to Walmart.  

But I still feel bad about it..
Don't feel bad if it's something that you need! I would count it as a college expense (lol!) because my eyes and face look horrible after a long nights of paper writing and studying.

I might break my no-buy soon for a palette which is far worse.

I've been doing ok. I've managed to buy a replacement lipstick and powder when I ran out, plus three new nail polishes. Polishes were all major lemmings and I'd planned on purchasing at some point. Plus my GDE order. Think I'm about done for the month and there shouldn't be any more purchases. I hope. . Lol. Edited to add that I did sneak in one Lush soap while making an order. The rest are going into gift bags.

I am so proud of myself! for the last three weeks, all I have purchased makeup/beauty product wise was the 1L shampoo/conditioner from Ulta for $12.99! (And i used a $3.50 off coupon!) Sadly, I bought those because I'm having to switch from my favorite Aveda shampoo. $18 for a little bottle vs $13 for a liter.... Liter it is....

Other than that! I've not spent any money on beauty products!!
claps.gif
yess.gif

Everyone is doing so well! Okay, I'm not going to cave. I can wait 9 days. I've been so stressed out and shopping usually makes me feel better but I can wait. I'll go eat chocolate instead.

I'm not technically on a low-buy (finally some reasonably steady income again  yay!) but I just have waaaay too much stuff and I bought a bunch of things already this month. Especially polish. I just never can stop myself from buying polish.

Today I saw SpaRitual's Laughing in Pink at Marshall's for $4... (as well as a bunch of other Spartiual and ChG polishes). I barely convinced myself out of getting it, but if there's still there tomorrow, I'm grabbing it. I already have polishes that are in the same genre of colour (Julep Zelda, for example) but I WANT ALL THE POLISHHHH

Ugh. Polish problems. ): Someone tell me not to get the SpaRitual....

Kyuu, don't get the SpaRitual!  You can find a dupe for it in your stash.  Or, you could franken a dupe from your stash.  Be strong!

Feeling good--all I got this month was a mini bottle of vintage perfume for $2 at a garage sale.  I don't have the temptation to buy for the rest of the month.  I will try to do a no-buy in August too.  I've been using some of my stash too, and rediscovering fun things.

Back