July 2013 No/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Feeling good--all I got this month was a mini bottle of vintage perfume for $2 at a garage sale.  I don't have the temptation to buy for the rest of the month.  I will try to do a no-buy in August too.  I've been using some of my stash too, and rediscovering fun things.
Is the perfume still good, or is it just for collecting?

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is the perfume still good, or is it just for collecting?
I think it is still good--I've worn it and it smells fine.  It is Balenciaga's Le Dix--the base notes are definitely much stronger than the top and middle notes.  While that's sort of always the case, I feel like the top and middle notes float away even faster because the bottle is old (looks like 70's or 80's from the label).  It is absolutely wearable.  I'm glad I only spent $2 on it.  And since it is only 3 mL, I will even finish it at some point! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think I need to start posting on no-buy.  

Here's my story.  Last November, my beauty collection consisted of:  one MAC foundation (half used from high school, 10 years ago), a dozen black eyeliners (collected from all the times I ran to the drugstore to buy eyeliner b/c I didn't carry one in my purse), mascara that was a year old, three random eyeshadow/blush compacts from L'Oreal and Lancome, and 2 bottles of nail polish.

Then, for some reason, I became obsessed with makeup and beauty box subscriptions.  It started with becoming VIB on Sephora and their free samples, getting limited edition Josie Maran and Tarte sets.  Then I discovered Julep, Birchbox, and Glossybox.

Instead of taking photos of my makeup stash, I thought I'd share my google spreadsheet of my haul (note, it does not include nail polish or fragrances).  It may not be much compared to others, but I've spent so much $$$$ since November, it's crazy for me since I used to be a beauty minimalist.  AND it's becoming a problem- since June, I've spent anywhere between $50-100 a week on beauty products (seriously, WHO NEEDS NINE FACE CLEANSERS or 30 COLORS OF NAIL POLISH?!)

The good news is that I tend to have two crazy 'Jenna goes wild" makeup buying binges every year.  November-December, and now June-July.  I just get really screwed with how I spend money in those timeframes.

And thank goodness for MUT.  I actually feel normal to go through a product obsessions, and to splurge once in a while.  But MUT also has space to encourage folks to share the moment when they 'hit the pan' or their goals for no-buys.

Here are my goals:

1. Since I have a pre-paid sub, no more splurging on Glossybox Limited Edition boxes (except, of course, the Martha Stewart box that I already bought).
  2. No more face palettes unless I finish the two Lancome palettes from 2008.  (And I really want to try Urban Decay palettes, so I gotta make this happen!)
  3. Unless I find some alternative use for them, no more facial cleansers.  PERIOD.  
  4. When I have an urge to buy, trade on MUT first.
  5. If you don't like it, RETURN IT - don't hoard it.  And don't be afraid to.
  6. There's only room in your life for 1 nail box sub.  Either Bondi or Julep - choose one.  
  7. Think about how much you'd rather enjoy going out to dinner with friends instead of spurging $50 on Sephora for more things that you probably don't need.
  8. Get another job to support my beauty box addiction. ;-D

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's my story.  Last November, my beauty collection consisted of:  one MAC foundation (half used from high school, 10 years ago), a dozen black eyeliners (collected from all the times I ran to the drugstore to buy eyeliner b/c I didn't carry one in my purse), mascara that was a year old, three random eyeshadow/blush compacts from L'Oreal and Lancome, and 2 bottles of nail polish.

Then, for some reason, I became obsessed with makeup and beauty box subscriptions.  It started with becoming VIB on Sephora and their free samples, getting limited edition Josie Maran and Tarte sets.  Then I discovered Julep, Birchbox, and Glossybox.

Instead of taking photos of my makeup stash, I thought I'd share my google spreadsheet of my haul (note, it does not include nail polish or fragrances).  It may not be much compared to others, but I've spent so much $$$$ since November, it's crazy for me since I used to be a beauty minimalist.  AND it's becoming a problem- since June, I've spent anywhere between $50-100 a week on beauty products (seriously, WHO NEEDS NINE FACE CLEANSERS or 30 COLORS OF NAIL POLISH?!)

The good news is that I tend to have two crazy 'Jenna goes wild" makeup buying binges every year.  November-December, and now June-July.  I just get really screwed with how I spend money in those timeframes.

And thank goodness for MUT.  I actually feel normal to go through a product obsessions, and to splurge once in a while.  But MUT also has space to encourage folks to share the moment when they 'hit the pan' or their goals for no-buys.

Here are my goals:

1. Since I have a pre-paid sub, no more splurging on Glossybox Limited Edition boxes (except, of course, the Martha Stewart box that I already bought).
  2. No more face palettes unless I finish the two Lancome palettes from 2008.  (And I really want to try Urban Decay palettes, so I gotta make this happen!)
  3. Unless I find some alternative use for them, no more facial cleansers.  PERIOD.  
  6. There's only room in your life for 1 nail box sub.  Either Bondi or Julep - choose one.  
  7. Think about how much you'd rather enjoy going out to dinner with friends instead of spurging $50 on Sephora for more things that you probably don't need.

I'm jumping in because I have way too much as well. I think you set some good and realistic goals!

I've always loved beauty products but lately my hoard is out of control! I have many, many, many backups for every makeup item so I need to stop buying. I'm already no buy for lipcolor for the rest of the year which hasn't been too hard. I'm sure I'll slip up but it's better than the current path I'm on!

I will keep my subs which are Starbox and GB. Other than that I'm going to try to be low-buy no buy for makeup. I probably should with skincare as well, but baby steps!

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here are my goals:

I'm jumping in because I have way too much as well. I think you set some good and realistic goals!

I've always loved beauty products but lately my hoard is out of control! I have many, many, many backups for every makeup item so I need to stop buying. I'm already no buy for lipcolor for the rest of the year which hasn't been too hard. I'm sure I'll slip up but it's better than the current path I'm on!

I will keep my subs which are Starbox and GB. Other than that I'm going to try to be low-buy no buy for makeup. I probably should with skincare as well, but baby steps!

Aww, thanks!  This list and goals came out of some very real intervention from my friends (most of them who started me down this crazy product-path).  I was in denial for a while- I justified splurging all this time because I the last time I did this was in 2008 for a Lancome set that I'm still apparently having problems finishing!

Some things that has helped me set myself on a better path:

• It's gotten to the point where checking Sephora, Beauty.com, and MUT are part of my regular daily routines. I can only check Sephora once a week to limit temptation.  
  • Joining the MUT trading community helps get rid of some of the stash that may become hoarding for products you actually need (I actually need more hair care products, masks, and body wash, which I'm totes getting from the trades).  I have a hatred for foil products, so I am happy to include my foil samples in any trade I send out so I can get rid of more things I won't use immediately.
  • Create an inventory of what you already have, and when you got it.  I put dates of when I purchased/opened the products because every product has a shelf life and are only good until 18-24 months after opened (except the face palettes - I am determined to finish this my 2008 Lancome set).
  • I look at my inventory anytime I'm tempted to buy something new.  It helps me say to myself, "oh wow, I have 9 facial cleansers, maybe I don't need that skin care set!"  :p  
  • I think I make my goals reasonable because it comes from a place where it's okay for me to buy things, as long as I don't own something similar already.  

Number four is my favorite. Instead of spending $35 to get a GWP to try one little product, I try to find someone who has it up for trade. So far it's worked out well!! Spending a few bucks for shipping sure beats $35 bucks!

I think I need to start posting on no-buy.   Here's my story.  Last November, my beauty collection consisted of:  one MAC foundation (half used from high school, 10 years ago), a dozen black eyeliners (collected from all the times I bought an eyeliner when I didn't carry one in my purse), mascara that was a year old, three random eyeshadow/blush compacts from L'Oreal and Lancome, and 2 bottles of nail polish. Then, for some reason, I became obsessed with makeup and beauty box subscriptions.  It started with becoming VIB on Sephora and their free samples.  Then I discovered Julep, Birchbox, and Glossybox. Instead of taking photos of my makeup stash, I thought I'd share my google spreadsheet of my haul (note, it does not include nail polish or fragrances).  It may not be much compared to others, but I've spent so much $$$$ since November, it's crazy for me since I used to be a beauty minimalist.  AND it's becoming a problem- since June, I've spent anywhere between $50-100 a week on beauty products (seriously, WHO NEEDS NINE FACE CLEANSERS or 30 COLORS OF NAIL POLISH?!) The good news is that I tend to have two crazy 'Jenna goes wild" makeup buying binges every year.  November-December, and now June-July.  I just get really screwed with how I spend money in between those timeframes. And thank goodness for MUT.  I actually feel normal to go through a product obsessions, and to splurge once in a while.  But MUT also has space to encourage folks to share the moment when they 'hit the pan' or their goals for no-buys. Here are my goals:
  2. No more face palettes unless I finish the two Lancome palettes from 2008.
  5. There's only room in your life for 1 nail box sub.  Either Bondi or Julep - choose one.
  6. Get another job to support my beauty box addiction. ;-D

Here are my goals:

I can relate to this. For some reason last October I became obsessed. I had one old Maybelline shadow quad and an old Maybelline mascara. Then all of a sudden I started hoarding Urban Decay palettes then my stash went out of control (at least to me).

The "Beauty Inventory" is a great idea! I have a spreadsheet too and I have come to realize that I don't need another black eye liner or lip gloss. And joining this no-buy/low-buy forum has helped me tremendously because I read everyone's victories and it makes me feel like I can conquer my addiction too. I wish you lots of luck in reaching your goals. My big goal is to stop spending money on things that I don't need so I that can afford to take vacations.

Here are my goals:

Here are my goals:

This is such a terrific idea! I really need to make a spreadsheet and keep a copy of it taped to the inside of my linen closet, and one in my purse for when I'm out and tempted to pick up something I don't have a need for. Really loving the spreadsheet idea! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok, so I totally broke my no buy. I'm too young to have a formal job, so when I get money I like to spend it :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I went shopping with my grandmother (who gave me the shopping gene), and bought some stuff... I only got two makeup products, and they were Covergirl, but I spent $35 on other stuff lol. Goodness gracious... Hopefully I'll be a good girl next month. I have a one week camp plus school starts, so I should be able to hold by no buy.

Ugh, August will officially be a no-buy-just-subs-and-trades with just one exception:  essence trend edition stuff, although I'm not sure whether there's going to be a new one next month, so it might just be a no-buy, period.  The rest of July will be a low-buy, and my allowed items are bb cream (I'm not sure how long the tube I'm working on will last, so I *might* be able to make it until September without more, but I don't want to chance it), makeup remover pads (see the bb cream), and stuff from the new Fortune Cookie Soap _Once Upon a Time_ collection out tomorrow (it's limited edition, and things are virtually guaranteed to sell out.  I've been promising myself an FCS spree for a few months now when they finally put out a collection that's *me*, and here we go).  

(I just made a list of what I have coming in over the next few weeks, and it's a lot.  I'm actually kind of horrified at the sheer amount.  I'm thinking I'll be putting up a lot of stuff on eBay once everything gets here because there's just no way I'll use it all, and I don't want to swap because that will just bring more stuff into my life that I won't use because I have so much stuff already that there's just not enough time.)

Well, confession time: I fell off the wagon tonight! I went to the mall. (First time in months; been avoiding it to resist temptation!) I went into Sephora to exchange some products that I had an allergy to, and replaced them with items on my approved low-buy list. I also went in to pick up my birthday freebie since Monday is my birthday. In addition to what I exchanged, I also purchased two of the new Urban Decay lipsticks that were not on the strict list I had made for myself when I started my low-buy. They are beautiful. I'm ashamed... that I'm not ashamed! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And then, my boyfriend wanted to go into Macy's to window shop furniture ideas. Well, inside of our Macy's lives a gloriously tempting cosmetics counter also known as MAC! Did I mention that I have girlfriends who work in both Sephora and MAC?! Oye Vey!! Yeah, I definitely fell off of the wagon! I purchased two lipsticks there as well...one was on my approved low-buy list (so I don't feel bad about that), but the other lip color wasn't on my list. (It's so gorgeous, that I don't regret it though!) So yeah needless to say, no more mall for me! On one positive though, I did make myself pay cash for what I did purchase instead of using my debit card (It hurts me more to hand someone my cash vs plastic.) I think had I not done that, I would have been tempted to purchase even more. So, lesson learned...stick to my darn list, avoid the mall, and pay cash so I'm not quite as tempted...and if I am, it is at least budgeted for. Anyone else struggling with the whole no/low buy thing right now? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Confessional booth: purchased one of the August Julep polishes with my beauty bio code. Don't feel tooo bad about that, since I was going to allow myself an August box if I liked the selection, so since I skipped only spent $5 vs $20 on nail polish.

I am trying sooo hard to fight my urge off on Urban Decay's new lipstick. I have such a lipstick addiction. And on top of it all, I come to find I qualified for VIB Rouge (which says a lot about my addiction to buying... oy... so tempting to take advantage of the free shipping perks.)

Do beauty bloggers get free products to sample? Maybe I should start a blog and channel my energy that way 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by casualconcern /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do beauty bloggers get free products to sample? Maybe I should start a blog and channel my energy that wayI 
smile.gif
If free stuff is your goal, I don't recommend this route.  Some bloggers get things for free, but they have solid readerships, so they are solid advertising venues for these companies.  I've got a blog, and I've only received three free subscription boxes for review.  If you're just looking for a way to channel your energy, a blog is a good thing, but I would also recommend doing what I've spent my spare time this weekend doing:  Make a list of skin/hare/body care companies you want to try and email them to see if they might be willing to send samples. I have *no clue* what I should be using for my hair (it was perfectly happy with Suave or even bar soap for years until I started growing out my pixie and turned 41, and now I want to use fancier stuff, but I don't know what to try, and I definitely don't want to buy a full-sized version only to discover that it is bottled fail for me), so that's my main focus, although I've sprinkled in a few bath products (I have a *huge* weakness for that stuff!) and skincare (I *want* to use something nicer than Cetaphil, but after the last time I got a full-sized fancy night cream, I will not buy a full-sized product without being able to try it for a week first) companies in there for good measure.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If free stuff is your goal, I don't recommend this route.  Some bloggers get things for free, but they have solid readerships, so they are solid advertising venues for these companies.  I've got a blog, and I've only received three free subscription boxes for review.  If you're just looking for a way to channel your energy, a blog is a good thing, but I would also recommend doing what I've spent my spare time this weekend doing:  Make a list of skin/hare/body care companies you want to try and email them to see if they might be willing to send samples. I have *no clue* what I should be using for my hair (it was perfectly happy with Suave or even bar soap for years until I started growing out my pixie and turned 41, and now I want to use fancier stuff, but I don't know what to try, and I definitely don't want to buy a full-sized version only to discover that it is bottled fail for me), so that's my main focus, although I've sprinkled in a few bath products (I have a *huge* weakness for that stuff!) and skincare (I *want* to use something nicer than Cetaphil, but after the last time I got a full-sized fancy night cream, I will not buy a full-sized product without being able to try it for a week first) companies in there for good measure.
I figured as much... the beauty blog "market" is really saturated, after all.

I've gotten samples from a few different companies after emailing, but I think I need to change the wording of my requests because the denial rate has been very high, lol! Definitely a good way to try new stuff without the commitment though. Love it.

That is awesome! I wish I had your discipline!
Thanks! This has been so tough and I almost caved 4 or 5 times. I've played a lot of cart tetris in the last 40 days lol.

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, confession time: I fell off the wagon tonight! I went to the mall. (First time in months; been avoiding it to resist temptation!) I went into Sephora to exchange some products that I had an allergy to, and replaced them with items on my approved low-buy list. I also went in to pick up my birthday freebie since Monday is my birthday. In addition to what I exchanged, I also purchased two of the new Urban Decay lipsticks that were not on the strict list I had made for myself when I started my low-buy. They are beautiful. I'm ashamed... that I'm not ashamed!
redface.gif

And then, my boyfriend wanted to go into Macy's to window shop furniture ideas. Well, inside of our Macy's lives a gloriously tempting cosmetics counter also known as MAC! Did I mention that I have girlfriends who work in both Sephora and MAC?! Oye Vey!! Yeah, I definitely fell off of the wagon! I purchased two lipsticks there as well...one was on my approved low-buy list (so I don't feel bad about that), but the other lip color wasn't on my list. (It's so gorgeous, that I don't regret it though!) So yeah needless to say, no more mall for me!

On one positive though, I did make myself pay cash for what I did purchase instead of using my debit card (It hurts me more to hand someone my cash vs plastic.) I think had I not done that, I would have been tempted to purchase even more. So, lesson learned...stick to my darn list, avoid the mall, and pay cash so I'm not quite as tempted...and if I am, it is at least budgeted for.

Anyone else struggling with the whole no/low buy thing right now?
frown.gif
Ugh, I am. Even though I maintain a detailed google spreadsheet about what I own and what I've used, (and I force myself to look at it every time I make an online purchase) it's not enough.  

I am fortunate that I do not get tempted when I go to the mall.  When I go to Sephora, it's usually to make returns and to window shop for new products to add to my wish list in anticipation of a major sale.  

My big flag is online shopping for supposed discounts and summer sets.  I have been purchasing items that I don't track on my spreadsheet - body wash, shampoo, conditioners, lipsticks/glosses, eyeliners, and fragrance.  

I guess it's a victory that I met all of my goals for the no-buy since it was technically not a strict no-buy, but no-buy in these areas - 

1. Since I have a pre-paid sub, no more splurging on Glossybox Limited Edition boxes (except, of course, the Martha Stewart box that I already bought).  CHECK
  2. No more face palettes unless I finish the two Lancome palettes from 2008.  (And I really want to try Urban Decay palettes, so I gotta make this happen!)  CHECK
  3. Unless I find some alternative use for them, no more facial cleansers.  PERIOD.  CHECK
  4. When I have an urge to buy, trade on MUT first. FAIL
  6. There's only room in your life for 1 nail box sub.  Either Bondi or Julep - choose one.   SKIPPED JULEP AUGUST, CHECK
  7. Think about how much you'd rather enjoy going out to dinner with friends instead of spurging $50 on Sephora for more things that you probably don't need.  CHECK (no sephora visits since 7/6/2013)
  8. Get another job to support my beauty box addiction. ;-D  PENDING

Good news is that I didn't buy items that I listed above.  Bad news is that I spent $ on products I thought I needed, but overloaded on them.

Now that August is here, I'm going to start a new series of goals, one that is more exclusive - no more than $50 on makeup/products for August.  Which I will have to save, because I want to score triple points with Sephora during their points blitz August 12-18th.

Back