June 2014 No/Low-Buy Thread - Hugs, commiseration and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I'm kinda crazy, I made registries on target, crate and barrel, and a list at Ikea for all the things I will be buying from furniture down to toilet paper and cleaning supplies. I'm estimating my Target run to be ~$300 - isn't that nuts?! I mean, I guess it isn't when you're starting completely fresh and will definitely need basics like hand soap, toilet bowl cleaner... It all adds up! (CB & Ikea are also bad but understandable since it's furniture)

I definitely gotta keep myself in check this summer. I looked at my expenses the past few months and WOOOWEEE - restaurants definitely outrun my rent bill and general beauty creeps up too. To be fair, I split a crappy studio with my boyfriend, but still.

Lol I feel like I ask this every month but who does the Dave Ramsey system? PM me and give me a pep talk. I'll need it !

Well I accidentally saved some money so really I think it's a good thing.  I wasn't going to skip Julep this month because cremes are right up my alley (i am THE most boring person ever) but the box I wanted was sold out.  I'm glad I went to double check though because I thought I had changed my selection but it didn't save.  Not the end of the world and this way I get to finish out the month feeling a little better about my finances.  I do not need more nail polish.  I do not need more nail polish.  Rainbow Honey does not exist.  I do not need more nail polish.  

Because I'm kinda crazy, I made registries on target, crate and barrel, and a list at Ikea for all the things I will be buying from furniture down to toilet paper and cleaning supplies. I'm estimating my Target run to be ~$300 - isn't that nuts?! I mean, I guess it isn't when you're starting completely fresh and will definitely need basics like hand soap, toilet bowl cleaner... It all adds up! (CB & Ikea are also bad but understandable since it's furniture)

I definitely gotta keep myself in check this summer. I looked at my expenses the past few months and WOOOWEEE - restaurants definitely outrun my rent bill and general beauty creeps up too. To be fair, I split a crappy studio with my boyfriend, but still.

Lol I feel like I ask this every month but who does the Dave Ramsey system? PM me and give me a pep talk. I'll need it !
It does add up really quickly. We moved from a 2/1 to a 4/3 and just in basic bathroom stuff (shower curtains, plungers  soap dispensers, etc.) it was a small fortune it seemed.

WELP. Well, my life just took a very interesting turn. It's for a good thing! I can't share the details here (as much of an oversharer as I am), but while the details are amazing it also means that my saving plans have had to accelerate immensely. So this no-buy will be for a long, long, long time. like....this year and well into the next.

Ugh, one of my coworkers is still on vacation this week, and then next week is month-end.  Have I mentioned that I stress-shop?  Especially when I'm putting in overtime?  I think I'm already at ten hours of OT for this pay cycle, and we still have three days to go.  And I don't need or even really *want* anything (except a shelving unit from IKEA I keep putting off buying because it's heavy, and I live on the second floor.  And maybe a couple of FCS sugar scrubs since I've been saying I'll get some for a couple of months now).  I think I just want something to look forward to coming in the mail. 

I'm not sure if I need to be enabled or disabled: There's a neutral kate spade crossbody bag that I've found for 50% off (+ free shipping + 15% off for new email subscribers). It would go with everything and be an everyday all uses bag of very high quality. Should I get that, or keep watching Hatuelook and MyHabit for something that looks nice?

Kate Spade now for about $120, or a lesser-known brand of uncertain quality for under $100 later?
A sale happened again, and I dropped some cash on it. The neutral bag of my dreams is coming to me at more than 70% off. I'm starting to consider a legit no-buy for next month. I suspect it'd be pretty easy if only I could resist checking the Enablers thread :/

Helloooooo!

Back. So regarding my giant freak out earlier... remember how I said that I would be cutting down my spending as I started looking at ways to get on my own for career development, and my goal this year was to save up for that? I was very lucky (still can't share the details), but basically I now have the chance to basically go at it without having to exist off of ramen noodles. Starting January 1st I will be on my own and working full time freelancing as well as developing other areas of my career that I hope take off.

This is a HUGE blessing for me, and it came out of nowhere, but it's awesome! So I'm going to take the bull by the horns and pursue it for all I'm worth. It also means spending has come to a screeching halt. This time it's not about a "maybe" but a "must." I talked to my husband and I am allowed a few things if I run out (necessities, mostly), but considering all the stuff I already have, I won't be needing much if any in the next year and a half. I also probably won't be wearing as much MU as I do now, as I won't be in an office setting anymore.

So there you go guys. Crazy news!

@@jaylilee Congratulations, and best of luck going forward with your career! That's great!

I am so happy that the end of the month is nigh, because I have completely used up all possible excuses to offer for breaking my set limits on spending. :blush: Well, to be fair I actually have spent quite a bit less this month that in the months previously, so I still feel successful. :lol:

Next month I have quite a bit on non-beauty spending I will be doing, so I know I won't get many new goodies. But we're trying to save for a couple of vacations in the end of 2014/beginning of 2015 so this month was really good practice. I think I can do it! I can curb my spending! *victory dance*

@@Shalott and everyone else who liked my post, THANK YOU!

I'm so excited (also terrified, but mostly excited). I've started planning already as to what the game plan will be.

Shalott, that's actually quite a success! the second the excuses don't seem like enough to go buy this and that, the easier it becomes to just buckle down and use your stuff. 

@@jaylilee Congrats and best of luck! From your original post I thought you were pregnant. Lol

Haha, that's exactly what I thought as well.
:lol:   :lol:

Nah, I'm not. But my husband asked me the other day "so when are we having babies?" I told him we could start trying (oh he perked up real fast lol!!!), but that we're broke. He goes "we'll always be broke, so why does it matter?" 

This coming from a guy who's number one goal in life is to not be broke. He works really hard for financial stability, and plans his life accordingly. So to hear him say the equivalent of "f*ck it, we should go for it anyways" is mindblowingly surprising. Plus we're both kind of ready to start putting down roots and starting a family. So you guys weren't that off. Babies will probably be in the picture in the next two years.

Back from vacation and I think I did extraordinarily well. There was a cool art fair at Grant's Park (we were in Chicago), so I picked up a couple of jewelry pieces for myself and some gifts. Other than that, I picked up a lip tar trio and some UD setting spray at Sephora and that's it. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The Sephora was much bigger than the one I usually frequent here in Columbus, so it was neat to see some things I don't normally see.

Ok, back to my regularly scheduled no-buy!

welcome back, @@jesemiaud! Good to hear you did well.

I'm at home today, and have been productive with projects though little has gotten done in the way of projects around the house D: Hopefully next week. I managed to somehow pull a muscle that runs from my neck to my shoulder blade and man does it hurt. 

Sadly, I overspent yesterday at the Pacifica sale, *and* I bought shower gel and eyeshadow for myself there!  The shower gels were $7 for a 16-ounce bottle (I'm not sure of the usual price because that size seems to be no longer available, but the 8-ounce bottles are now $10), and the shadows were $5 a palette (regular price: $14 each, although these don't have the outer packaging sleeve), so I felt like I kind of *needed* to get them since I've wanted to try this particular scent for a while, and I've been kicking myself since the holiday sale for not picking up the palettes. (Most things are presents, though, so at least I don't have $300 worth of stuff just for myself.)

Okay.  Now.  Cleaning, since it didn't happen  yesterday because I spent the entire day running around town.  And now I get to start planning July.  I can't believe it's that time already!

I'l be breaking my no-buy and swithing to low-buy. I was able to find someone on the Reddit MakeupExchange who would sell me both the Ariel and Jasmine Sephora palettes. I've been looking for all of these for a while that weren't ridiculously expensive (YOU, EBAY).

Well, I shopped the Hautelook sale for theBalm.  Unintended, but I only bought a mascara that I wanted to try and a single Instain blush.  I feel ok about it, only because I had a $10 credit that was going to expire at the end of the month and my total, including shipping, was less than $20.

My plan this month did not go as, well, planned. I have a new plan for the next couple of months that I am working on that I hope I will be able to stick to.

I was doing ok but I blew it this week, badly. The closer it gets to Hubby coming home the more I need distractions and unfortunately I decided shopping would be one :/ I stopped but not before doing some damage :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back