June 2014 No/Low-Buy Thread - Hugs, commiseration and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got Vulnerable for my first one. Playing it safe, lol. Although I can tell by just looking at some of the ones I ordered for swapee, that I'm going to really want some bright colors too. I'll wait until after the swap though, just in case I get some in the summer swap.
Yeah, the summer exchanges have made it easier for me to not buy stuff. If it's on the lists, I can't buy it! I have to wait! The problem with the Avengers set is that it didn't exist when I made the lists, and I've had a nasty couple of days at work, so I don't feel one bit guilty about ordering the whole thing.

Welcome!

No-buys/low-buys are a muscle. flex it and exercise it. I think your goal is a good one, but also perhaps consider how often avon puts out a catalog. I remember them being a monthly thing when I was growing up but I haven't looked into avon since I was 12. I do know they still make my mother's favorite perfume xD 

Try to rediscover items you already have that you can fall in love with, and get rid of /donate/ toss things you don't, or if you're feeling more daring, try to project pan them by finding alternate ways to use them. I have found that sometimes the items we have that we feel don't work can be used in order wonderful ways, or it's a matter of application. 
I think Avon has a new catalog every two weeks.... so much temptation!

One thing I am pretty good at is purging anything that doesn't work for me. I definitely don't have hoarding tendencies. LOL

I'm going to try to stick to my plan of spending about $12 or less per avon order.  I got the new catalog and so far only plan on buying their brand new makeup setting spray that's on sale for $7.  I don't already own any setting sprays so I feel it's ok to purchase one.

I actually did okay-ish today! I was ready to hit the checkout button on Sephora, but instead I closed that tab, watched a bathroom beauty decluttering video on Youtube and then got to work on clearing out my own bathroom. I pitched a bunch of stuff - things that had expired, things I didn't like, and I also set aside a bunch of unused items to donate to the local women's shelter. Clearing all of that out made me realize that I've been so incredibly wasteful and it pretty much nipped any desire to buy any new junk (for now, at least!).

I still have to place the order on Sephora since the argan infinity cream is the only thing I've found that's really helped heal and soothe the eczema on my hands, but I've laid out some ground rules for myself. None of the free samples, none of the extra stuff that's in my cart, and no redeeming any beauty insider points.

Tomorrow I need to set aside some items for a project 10 pan!

I though I was doing so well 
Bought sister for new nephew  a baby bath and a burt bee baby set (used 20% coupon and cash back over 5 dollars in ebates because of this gift  )

I got the Loccitian order (2+1) before deciding on low buy . I love the cherry flower roller ball,didn't try the bubble bath yet  and the package is perfect for storing OPI nail polish . 
Going to the post office today to get my month and a week old iherb order (before low buy )that contains real technique kabuki  physician formula concealer and african black soap .

However you all talked about shiro cosmetics avengers . So I googled them and found the seven kingdom collection and I bought a mini set . They ship to my county and way cheaper than OCC loose .

I got a 31 dollar refund from express that will cover some of the cost (bad international shipping company  )

So I spent some money I probably shouldn't have on BBW candles, but to be fair I've been really into burning candles lately and shouldn't have to buy anymore for roughly forever.  And I finally get paid tomorrow!!!! Our pay period is weird at my job; it's about two weeks behind so I've been working nearly three weeks now with $0 to show for it.  This will probably be a tiny paycheck because we didn't have a lot of hours the first week, but it will make my week this much easier to get through.  I have two unpaid jobs I work in addition to this oh-so-glamorous one at the campus dining hall so it's going to total out to be a 60 or 70 hour work week come Sunday and it's wearing me out.  But I've resisted to the urge to blow it on feeling pretty because I know I have all of you lovelies to keep me accountable and if you can keep from buying things so can I! 

Still hanging in there. No purchases, woop woop! it's the 19th and I have officially been wearing my june project items for a month! (though still have another week and 2 days to go). So I allowed myself the luxury or skipping out on my project pan blush so I could rock a very red lip today. Going to go see the fault in our stars in the theaters.

I am also thinking that once my "low-buy" is done in 3 more months, I will be switching my obsession to things that don't expire: books. It's summer time and I always am in need of things to read now that the days are longer. Plus we're building bookshelves in the live-in basement area (room with fireplace), and will need things to fill up the shelves with, right? ;D 

but that's still far away. The longer I go without purchasing things, the easier it gets. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still "want" everything under the sun, but I no longer "need" it. That sense of needing something has started to finally go away...so I can want something and just say "i'll get it eventually," versus "I need to get it now."

Good job everyone, only 10 more days in this month.

I have cancelled Ispy and skipped Julep for the month.  Take that low-buy!  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am so tiredd..... guys, so tired. 

Our brand new house house resisted our torrential rains over the last 4 days as well as it could. but eventually the little house that could gave in to water coming up through our foundation in the basement. It didn't come through the wall and there's no structural issues, but we spent most of the night trying to battle it away and save our carpet/furniture. Now we're going to have to air the crap out of everything and make sure nothing was damaged.

I am so tired.

Guess our money is now gonna go towards replacing all of the "stuff" (what's that called? cushioning?) under the carpets we had to pull up to keep it from reaching the furniture. 

Ugh, my first slip up this month--I'm letting myself take Julep. I like the Polish colors a lot (I have boring taste!), and polish isn't on my longer-term low buy list (not a problem product for me)--the low buy that is supposed to go until November. HOWEVER, I was supposed to be doing a full no-buy this month specifically, including skipping Julep.

But next month is my birthday month, so I'm treating this as an early bday present--even though it will be billed at the very end of June, it is the July box. I didn't take June's box or the last couple either. La la la rationalizing.  :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally just took a deep breath, opened a bottle of wine, and then cleaned out my makeup collection yesterday. OH MAN. It was really, really bad. I had so many products that were really old and I couldn't remember when I bought them and some that just smelled really funky and gross. So, those went into the trash. I'm sending everything that's still in decent condition, but I don't like or use, to my friend who loves makeup but doesn't have a lot of time or money. Hopefully she'll be able to get some use out of it. It was a little surprising how many brownish-gray lipsticks I had hiding in there. :/

I was going to try and just make it a low-buy from here on out, but after going through everything, it's pretty clear that I don't need to be buying anything for a really, really long time, so I might try my hardest at making this a no-buy for the rest of the year. Necessities and a thing or two for my birthday, of course, but other than that... nothing!

I finally just took a deep breath, opened a bottle of wine, and then cleaned out my makeup collection yesterday. OH MAN. It was really, really bad. I had so many products that were really old and I couldn't remember when I bought them and some that just smelled really funky and gross. So, those went into the trash. I'm sending everything that's still in decent condition, but I don't like or use, to my friend who loves makeup but doesn't have a lot of time or money. Hopefully she'll be able to get some use out of it. It was a little surprising how many brownish-gray lipsticks I had hiding in there. :/

I was going to try and just make it a low-buy from here on out, but after going through everything, it's pretty clear that I don't need to be buying anything for a really, really long time, so I might try my hardest at making this a no-buy for the rest of the year. Necessities and a thing or two for my birthday, of course, but other than that... nothing!
Hang in there! it's specifically bad when we forget that we have certain things.... and we go "oh! I had that?" - so I totally get the feeling about forgetting when you purchased something. I am trying my best to know exactly what I have at all given times now, so I can finish up my items and just not. buy. more. of the same stuff! 

oh no @@jaylilee I'm so sorry you had flooding in your pretty new house!  (And I'm pretty sure that stuff is called "carpet padding"?)  I've always heard that there's at least one big "crisis" after moving into a new house, just so the universe makes sure you know you've gotten yourself over your head with home ownership!  With me, it was having the hot water heater go out... in JANUARY.  I'm glad you all were able to save everything but the carpet padding though.  Big hugs!  I hope everything gets fixed soon, and I hope that pesky rain settles itself down!

oh no @@jaylilee I'm so sorry you had flooding in your pretty new house!  (And I'm pretty sure that stuff is called "carpet padding"?)  I've always heard that there's at least one big "crisis" after moving into a new house, just so the universe makes sure you know you've gotten yourself over your head with home ownership!  With me, it was having the hot water heater go out... in JANUARY.  I'm glad you all were able to save everything but the carpet padding though.  Big hugs!  I hope everything gets fixed soon, and I hope that pesky rain settles itself down!
My air conditioner died in July. In Florida.

I am so tiredd..... guys, so tired. 

Our brand new house house resisted our torrential rains over the last 4 days as well as it could. but eventually the little house that could gave in to water coming up through our foundation in the basement. It didn't come through the wall and there's no structural issues, but we spent most of the night trying to battle it away and save our carpet/furniture. Now we're going to have to air the crap out of everything and make sure nothing was damaged.

I am so tired.

Guess our money is now gonna go towards replacing all of the "stuff" (what's that called? cushioning?) under the carpets we had to pull up to keep it from reaching the furniture. 
I don't know what to say except that really sucks - I hope nothing was damaged!

Thank you, hon *hug* It must certainly be the universe trying to keep us in check. Especially since Sunday is my 2nd wedding anniversary...but we're going to be spending it at home tearing out carpet padding and drying out carpet  :unsure:

My air conditioner died in July. In Florida.
Ouch.

I don't know what to say except that really sucks - I hope nothing was damaged!
Nothing was damaged! The carpet got a little damp in certain places (or rather, got very wet but we managed to mostly dry it with a shop vac before we pulled it, so that no more water continued to pool), and all of the padding is shot, but no furniture was injured and we managed to keep the water at bay.

Lover kept a tab on how much water we took out by "hand" (shop vac, which takes so many galons, or me wringing out towels and rags for over an hour continously), and the estimate stands at around 350 gallons...

So I went to play with makeup today and put a teal eyeliner on my lower lashline for "a pop of color" then set it with a teal shadow...the rest of the eye look is very much a simple, neutral eye...a base to cancel out redness, a light brown in my crease for definition, and a thin line of brown eyeliner, plus a coat of mascara. perhaps it's because the rest of my eye is not intense and the teal stands out too much? Either way wtf! 

pops of color are not for me... unless I'm wearing a much darker eye look, me thinks.

Also, I am not sure what it is but something is currently making my right eye burn. :C time to go take off makeup.

Okay, so I picked out a bunch of items for a Project 10 Pan. I've decided that I'm going to make it last three months and it'll wind up finishing around my birthday. I'm going to have it officially kick off on July 1st, but I figured I'd go ahead and start using everything right now. Several of the items are deluxe samples, some are really close to being finished (like the Boi-ing) and some have barely been touched (the Tarte blush and the MAC powder). I'm hoping to make a serious dent in these products over the next few months!

I've got these ten items:

1. MAC Studio Fix Powder in NW15

2. MUFE HD High Definition Powder

3. Lancome Baume in Love in Coral Electric

4. Too Faced Lash Injection Mascara

5. Benefit Boi-ing in 01

6. L'Oreal Magic Nude Liquid Powder

7. Tarte Natural Cheek Stain in Tickled

8. Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer

9. Benefit Fake Up in 01

10. Mark Hook Up Lip Gloss in Honey

Okay, so I picked out a bunch of items for a Project 10 Pan. I've decided that I'm going to make it last three months and it'll wind up finishing around my birthday. I'm going to have it officially kick off on July 1st, but I figured I'd go ahead and start using everything right now. Several of the items are deluxe samples, some are really close to being finished (like the Boi-ing) and some have barely been touched (the Tarte blush and the MAC powder). I'm hoping to make a serious dent in these products over the next few months!

I've got these ten items:

1. MAC Studio Fix Powder in NW15

2. MUFE HD High Definition Powder

3. Lancome Baume in Love in Coral Electric

4. Too Faced Lash Injection Mascara

5. Benefit Boi-ing in 01

6. L'Oreal Magic Nude Liquid Powder

7. Tarte Natural Cheek Stain in Tickled

8. Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer

9. Benefit Fake Up in 01

10. Mark Hook Up Lip Gloss in Honey
GO GO GO!

*Cheers*

My low buy turned no buy turned sort of project pan (now for real project pan) is going to be lasting until the end of the year, but the absolute no-buy is in effect since the 26th of May until september 30th.

I do have 1 giftcard for amazon and 6 empties for mac to B2M. Those are the only things I'm allowing myself to use in case I asbolutely find something I must get my little paws on, though for now, I doubt it, considering all the stuff I have.

I think if I get anything from mac, though, it'll be the much talked about vex shadow.... at some point.

Okay, I am officially on a no buy (with a few exceptions) until September 1. I will revisit at that point. I just have way too much stuff and it's stressful to keep acquiring more, especially through deals and subs. I am also getting ready to buy a house and planning my wedding, and I really need to save for both of those major life events. I would rather spend my expendable income on experiences right now while I use and enjoy the pretty things that I already have. I need to unsubscribe from the enablers thread and work on I subscribing from various promo emails. I am posting my exceptions below in hope that it will help keep me accountable.

Birchbox - My main account is paid for through September. I really love Birchbox, so I will probably do another annual when it's up. I reactivated my second account for a points promo, and I need to do my reviews and cancel it before July. I cannot reactivate this account during my no buy. I also need to save my points. I just spent all my points this morning, and I would like to build them up again for the holiday season.

Le Metier de Beaute - I will be receiving my last box in July, and I absolutely will not be resubscribing.

Memebox- I have purchase one box that shipped yesterday and one that will ship in August. I will not be purchasing any others, no matter how good of a code I might get or how awesome the box might be.

Golden Tote - I haven't gotten a tote in a few months. My office appropriate wardrobe is lacking, so if I see something I have to have that is appropriate for work I can get one tote in July OR August, but not both. I probably will not make this purchase, but I wanted to include it just in case to help reign myself in and to also make sure that my no buy goal is achievable.

If I meet a productivity/breaking bad habits goal that I have set for myself for July 3, I can reward myself with a Rainbow Honey mini mystery bag.

If I meet the productivity goal I have set for myself for July 18, I can un skip Black Sheep Lacquer for August.

If I meet the productivity goal I have set for myself for August 4, I can resubscribed to FCS Soap Box.

I can get a new phone when my contract is up at the end of August.

I also must stay within the budget I have set for myself for grocery, eating out, and entertainment.

I will not buy any other shoes, clothing, makeup, skin care, nail polish, personal care, candles, books, games, or craft supplies. I am confident that I can do this, but I definitely will need to frequent this thread more for support.

I have been inspired by so many of you, so thanks to everyone for posting both about your successes and failures.

Latest posts

Back