June 2014 No/Low-Buy Thread - Hugs, commiseration and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my Starlooks loyalty code for my summer exchange people, thereby not adding to my collection of *stuff*!  And I cut Dollar Shave Club down to every other month since I have two packs right now and had been planning on switch to every-other-month at the end of the summer anyway!  

I did order a Geek Chic Cosmetics lipstick in Truffle Shuffle and the Auryn collection, both for summer vacation memories reasons, but I had been planning on getting the Auryn collection this month anyway.  Truffle Shuffle will probably be worn only on rainy summer days and on the weekend of August 22nd when the theatre across the street shows that movie this year.  Unless the beer festival is happening that day.  In that case…  Actually, in that case, I'll probably still wear it.  I'll just go to Astoria that day.  I won't do the Truffle Shuffle in front of the house, but I can wear the lipstick!  

(On beer festival day, the parking lot of the bar across the street from me is filled with really crappy cover bands that are so loud that I can't hear anything else in my apartment even with the windows closed, and you *definitely* can't hear the movies in the theatre right next to the parking lot, so I spend the whole day Away, and I've been going to Astoria with a side trip to Tillamook -- cheese!  Although they were out of cheese curds last year.  I was very sad -- for the day for the past few years.)
I live near Seattle. I have yet to visit Tillamook, though I think it's in the plans to visit this summer with the hubby, just need the funds first :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I live near Seattle. I have yet to visit Tillamook, though I think it's in the plans to visit this summer with the hubby, just need the funds first :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
On one visit to the Tillamook factory, an entire wedding party came in for ice cream!  It was adorable.

I've been worried about saving up money for a day trip between the cost of gas, food, and whatever goodies I end up picking up (I have a weakness for souvenir pint glasses), but then I remembered that I have a savings account specifically designated for play.  Vacations, daytrips, comic cons:  All of these qualify.  I have plenty of money for this already!  I'm going to try to start socking overtime away into this account so I can cover Rose City Comic Con in September without having to do anything other than hit the bank on the way there since I go cash-only for cons.  

(BTW, those Tillamook lemon vanilla ice cream bars?  SO GOOD.)

WHOA.  I just went to see if I had any cash left in the duct tape wallet I used for Emerald City Comic Con.  Nope.  But I had another duct tape wallet next to it.  And it has SEVENTY-THREE DOLLARS in it.  Not three.  Not seven.  Not seventeen.  Three 20s, two 5s, and three 1s.  I have *no clue* where this money came from.  I'll put the 20s in the Comic Con wallet (Rose City CC is only three months away) and use the rest for dinner tonight!

Yay!  Found money is the BEST.  

I've done really well so far this month.  Like, NO un-allowed purchases.  Haven't run out of anything, so didn't have to replace anything.  It's been beyond hot and humid here, so I didn't wear makeup for a few weeks, but started a L'Oreal mascara trial today (2 free mascaras! And a compensation later! Whooooooo!!!!) so I actually put on a full face today and it seems to have stayed put pretty well.  Because I'll never be able to buy new makeup if I don't use up the stuff I have now!

Also, got my 2 Birchboxes (seriously, GREAT boxes this month!) and Ipsy (horrid. horrible. blah. but such a cute bag!), AND I won a Glamour Doll Eyes May OTM (of the month) bag from a blogging contest, so I've actually gotten in some stuff, without having to pay anything beyond the already budgeted BB/Ipsy costs.  It's helped curb the cravings for MUST BUY STUFF NOW. Also made one final Birchbox order for one of my lovely summer exchange ladies that I was able to pay for with points/gift cards.  Seriously, I've had so much mail coming in it *looks* like I've been awful, but I haven't!

And wow look at me ramble.  Um... I'm gonna go now.  May come back later and edit for clarity!  

I keep arranging and rearranging palettes in order to keep "cravings" away, and temptation (darn it, chocolate bar palette!), and it seems to be working. it's also making me use eyeshadows that I would never use together, simply because they don't exist within the same palette. This really makes me want to get z palettes to put all my shadows within viewing area, so that I can mix and match that way. I'm going to have to start taking photos of my eye looks because sometimes i find some I LOVE! But then forget how to recreate them :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

My low-buy is in grave danger.  Birchbox is tempting me with codes that expire at the end of the month, so I feel I have to use them now. 

I am running out of space to keep all my beauty products though.  I need to just use up what I have already. :unsure:   

Last edited by a moderator:
My low-buy is in grave danger.  Birchbox is tempting me with codes that expire at the end of the month, so I feel I have to use them now. 

I am running out of space to keep all my beauty products though.  I need to just use up what I have already. :unsure:   
you do not need them. You even gave yourself the exact reason as to why you do not need them. You have so much you're running out of space. Perhaps create a plan (a beauty box, a rotating basket, anything) to fall in love back with your current items?

Well, I broke my no-buy. I'm not too broke up about it, though. I spent $3.25 on a GDE eyeshadow for myself when purchasing some things for my swapee. I needed to get up to the minimum order...it's a lovely shade...I can't wait to try it out!

you do not need them. You even gave yourself the exact reason as to why you do not need them. You have so much you're running out of space. Perhaps create a plan (a beauty box, a rotating basket, anything) to fall in love back with your current items?
@@jaylilee  Thanks for the support and encouragement.  It really helps!  I am not going to use my 3-month 20% off code to BB.  I wasn't happy with my box this month and they can just redeem themselves next month before I make any more orders.  Also, they have 20% off codes all the time, so this won't be my last chance to use one.  I'm holding strong with this low-buy this month.

Day 16 of my no buy and doing well.  Shiro Cosmetics release of an Avengers collection is super tempting. I just moved to Los Angeles though and am sleeping on someone's floor. I need a job! So I can't buy any makeup until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I broke my no-buy. I'm not too broke up about it, though. I spent $3.25 on a GDE eyeshadow for myself when purchasing some things for my swapee. I needed to get up to the minimum order...it's a lovely shade...I can't wait to try it out!
Ooh ooh ooh! What shade are you starting your newest obsession with? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (it will almost definitely not end with this one.)

And, oof, Avengers. I will be ordering the whole thing when I get home tonight. This will be my Pain Week order. It will not be a violation of my low-buy because Marvel collections are always on my exception list. This is just the first one I've seen!

I voted for Chinchillin' and therefore feel a small obligation to buy it :rolleyes:   I really do like the way it looks on the site; I had considered getting Alkahestry during the anniversary sale but thought it was too light, so I think Chinchillin' will work better for me. The number of CotMs that I want from Shiro have increased since then, though. I'm still waiting until later in the month to make the order.

Yesterday, I made an unplanned purchase because Hello Waffle had a 25% off flash sale to celebrate the release of blushes. I got blushes, 3 of which are orange-toned so I'm hoping that this ends my hunt for the 'right' orange blush. The GWP I chose was an eyeshadow called Corgi Butts (love the color, love the name). So... because of the Hello Waffle purchase, I'm removing Meow Cosmetics from my allowed purchases list. I had originally considered getting foundation samples and orange blush samples if they had a 20% off sale, but I have enough foundation to last the summer and I just bought orange blushes from Hello Waffle. So I should be set :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
My Hello Waffle wishlist keeps growing, same with Darling Girl. Glad to have a buddy on this forum who loves indies too.

Ooh ooh ooh! What shade are you starting your newest obsession with? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (it will almost definitely not end with this one.)

And, oof, Avengers. I will be ordering the whole thing when I get home tonight. This will be my Pain Week order. It will not be a violation of my low-buy because Marvel collections are always on my exception list. This is just the first one I've seen!
Yes I want the whole collection include the Red in My Ledger gloss. Caitlin's glosses feel so good. I don't struggle with redness so I don't actually need the Finishing Powder but it's green and Hulky so I want it!

@@jaylilee  Thanks for the support and encouragement.  It really helps!  I am not going to use my 3-month 20% off code to BB.  I wasn't happy with my box this month and they can just redeem themselves next month before I make any more orders.  Also, they have 20% off codes all the time, so this won't be my last chance to use one.  I'm holding strong with this low-buy this month.
Way to go!!! proud of you, lady.

Ugh I impulse bought an Enchanted Polish last night. $20 is a steal for one of those, but still. $20 for a single nail polish? Who am I anymore?

I got Vulnerable for my first one. Playing it safe, lol. Although I can tell by just looking at some of the ones I ordered for swapee, that I'm going to really want some bright colors too. I'll wait until after the swap though, just in case I get some in the summer swap.

I was doing ok with only a trip to LUSH with my mom, then I saw that Walgreens had Ariel sets out for the summer, No-buy officially blown. Ariel will always be the exception to the no-buy rules :rolleyes:

My Hello Waffle wishlist keeps growing, same with Darling Girl. Glad to have a buddy on this forum who loves indies too.
I've only used the Musician Collection from Hello Waffle so far and the shadows are excellent! I also have The Painted Flowers collection in samples but haven't used them yet (I'm waiting for Coastal Scents to have a sale so I can buy jars to put them in). So far, Darling Girl hasn't come out with a collection that has tempted me (good thing I look for collections rather than individual shadows or my indie obsession would be more of a problem) - but I do want to try their Superstar Serum and their Glitter Glue once I run out of Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy.

Still haven't made my Shiro order yet - I'm definitely getting The Avengers Collection in sample sizes w/the finishing powder and maybe the gloss.

Aromaleigh had a Monday deal that tempted me today - I loaded up a cart worth $51 in sample sizes of eyeshadows - and then I closed my browser and played with my Coastal Scents 252 palette (which, surprisingly, has two amazing blue/gold duochrome shades in it).

I was doing ok with only a trip to LUSH with my mom, then I saw that Walgreens had Ariel sets out for the summer, No-buy officially blown. Ariel will always be the exception to the no-buy rules :rolleyes:
I saw pictures of the Ariel sets - the art looks amazing! I'm tempted by the eyeshadow book and the brushes - not sure if I'll visit a Walgreens soon to see if I can get them.

Guys, someone talk me out of the Sample Society deal going on. I have $75 sitting in my cart. This is the worst low-buy.

Latest posts

Back