June 2014 No/Low-Buy Thread - Hugs, commiseration and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shopstash.jpg

Talk about shopping my stash. I just posted this on my instagram but HELLO SHOPPING MY STASH! Guess who forgot she had these? This girl. I had been lusting over sleek flamingo blush, mac desert rose blush, Mac cranberry, expensive pink, nylon and bronze. Also eyeliner. So guess what I found in my collection?

I found exact dupes (some not pictured here). Guess who won't be buying more stuff any time soon? This girl! I will keep this palette patiently waiting until July 1st after I'm done with my June products, or will incorporate them before then ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but if I wait then it's definitely more like shopping my stash (totally psychological, but it gets me excited to use my stuff).

edit: I FINALLY figured out how to add pictures! guess I just couldn't do it from the regular reply screen. I'm proud xD (it's the little things....)
That INGLOT palette is beautiful!  :wub:

May was horrid 
Already got yelled by mom about expenses 

I used the butter london sale and bought some cheap sets but bought their nail art tools for full price 
I bought a 50 $ pick me up from sephora ( the small christmas pallet from toofaced OCC lip tar and polish ) didn't add the 25$ shipment (don't live in the US) 
Had a panic attack so used 2+1 essie sale to pick me up and 1+1 revlon lip butter 

And then the end of may came and my ankles stated swelling up and I get back pains  
So I bought butter london foot cream  some bath petals bath salts  and some mint foot cream recommended from I herb
Also broke my cellphone last week  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
So No buy rule : 
Can buy 1 nail polish up to 6 $  
Can buy cheap lipstick or lip pencil 
In case of severe panic attack can visit OPI new store and buy 1 OPI nail polish or their nail remover pen ! 

Made my last big purchase yestreday for June from Nordstroms for a few items I have had in my shopping bag while waiting for a good GWP. Now I am really trying to curb my spending and will shop my stash. I have enough skincare to last me for ages, so the only "purchases" I am allowing myself are swaps or if I sell something on ebay/paypal money which is never too much since I move money to my bank account. I am typically a huge impulse buyer, but in the past few months, I have really cut that down.

Any tips are appreciated as I go through the last few threads of no buys :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

We're only 10 days into the month, but I'm really struggling! Though to my credit, no purchases yet. For a recap, I'm doing a FULL no-buy (except for a pair of shoes...haven't bought those yet) for this month, including no replacements allowed. I am seriously lemming for some products and purchase codes etc. And also worried that I'm going to run out of some items! But I'm holding strong.

I've been shopping my stash a lot, which is definitely helping. I'm also allowing myself to work on my splurge list for my birthday next month! When I originally started my replacements-only low-buy back in April, I set aside a budget of $100 my birthday month. This is to be used on fun (aka banned, haha) categories--any necessary replacements (e.g. my face moisturizer) can be separate from that. So it is fairly generous, but I'm still having a hard time narrowing down my list! 

I am liking though that this forces me to really research, consider, and plan my purchases. I'm reading reviews, looking at swatches, etc., making sure that is really where I want my money to go. This is how I should be making all purchases! Ensuring they are worthwhile additions to my collection...not just another impulse lippie that will take up space in my drawer. 

That INGLOT palette is beautiful!  :wub:
isnt ittttt?! i'm so excited. it's mostly a mish mash of inglot items I had, thrown into the same palette, but the EXCITEMENT!!! I can't wait to use it.

HANG IN THERE EVERYONE!!!!

10 days in and going strong. not only have I not bought any makeup, I haven't bought any ANYTHING. Not even coffee. I think if I keep this up, I can make it through the month without even sweating it.

Granted, I think a big part of it is that I've started concentrating my efforts into paying off debt, and actually using things I have, not just makeup but in all forms of my life -- all my art supplies are being put to good use. Not buying a single pencil. nothing. It's amazing how once you put in some rules, all the freedom that allows. I've also been keeping my spirits up by obsessively watching youtube no-buy/project pan videos. There's a really small but very dedicated community of youtube video makers, and seeing their progress only inspires me to use up my stuff too.

June will continue on as is, and July will be a no-buy month as well. Despite June being a low-buy month or rather "no rules," I have not had the need to buy a thing. EVEN with all the stress due to changes at work. That's what blows my mind. The stress hasn't sent me shopping once. I actually am starting to feel like I can do this.

To all who are on no-buys, hang in there and find creative ways to use what you have! think about it this way: when you bought the items you have, you got them because something excited you about them. You just gotta find that excitement again and remember why you got the item in the first place, then use the heck out of it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm not sure if I need to be enabled or disabled: There's a neutral kate spade crossbody bag that I've found for 50% off (+ free shipping + 15% off for new email subscribers). It would go with everything and be an everyday all uses bag of very high quality. Should I get that, or keep watching Hatuelook and MyHabit for something that looks nice?

Kate Spade now for about $120, or a lesser-known brand of uncertain quality for under $100 later?

I'm not sure if I need to be enabled or disabled: There's a neutral kate spade crossbody bag that I've found for 50% off (+ free shipping + 15% off for new email subscribers). It would go with everything and be an everyday all uses bag of very high quality. Should I get that, or keep watching Hatuelook and MyHabit for something that looks nice?

Kate Spade now for about $120, or a lesser-known brand of uncertain quality for under $100 later?
ugh... tough decision. however, look at whether you already have nice bags. if its a good quality bag, then its worth spending a couple of extra dollars on quality... but if you have something else that already would go with everything, then re-think.

I'm all for quality items, though.

Where is everyone in this thread?! come back to me, ladies.

Starting my morning well - I'm making progress on cargo blush tonga. FINALLY! The little pan seems to be getting bigger, haha. I think once June is done I'll be replacing my eyeliner for my stila liquid liner..that thing will end up drying out if I don't start using it now, so gotta give it some loving.

Been obsessively deleting all nars, mac, and bath and body works emails. I don't even wanna look in there. I'm still working through a bottle of suave body wash - surprisingly, it works and feels just as good as BBW shower gels, i think. the one I have is an apricot-y one, and it leaves my skin soft and silky...I think from now on I'll continue to buy suave ones once I am done with the dove ones that are (HUGE) and still not even close to empty. I might splurge on one or two BBW shower gels once I am done with the ones I have, but for the most part, suave agrees well with my skin.

12 days in and this is the longest I've ever gone without shopping! Very excited. I think it's partly because I know vacation is coming up and I will want all the dollars to spend there, lol.

12 days in and this is the longest I've ever gone without shopping! Very excited. I think it's partly because I know vacation is coming up and I will want all the dollars to spend there, lol.
WAY TO GO!!!

P.S: For all you ladies struggling! Go watch this video. (not my blog). She did a look (like many have) of half drugstore half high end, but she went so far as to make sure her tools were also drugstore and high end, and the result is amazing! 

http://beautyandmess.com/en/video-high-end-vs-drugstore-products-makeup-tutorial-pictures/

it's a fantastic example of why no-buys/low-buys should be reinforced. chances are we can duplicate the exact same looks for high end items with items that we either own already or are so much less expensive.

p.s: she's gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Struggled with the Nordstrom GWP - filled my cart but didn't order anything. Also resisted the a stila 25% off + free shipping code - I've been wanting to try a liquid liner, but I think I'll wait until another month to try a drugstore one first (maybe a Milani one).

So far, I've made a Hello Waffle order from the flash sale (I replaced my allowed Meow Cosmetics order with this one) and I've also made a Rainbow Honey order using the IPSY25 code (this was also on my allowed list).

Still waiting to make my Shiro order later this month.

My experiment should be up and running next week (the past week and a half has been prep work with a lot of down time) so hopefully I'll be more distracted from shopping once I get busy.

Alright, I decided not to get the Kate Spade purse. It is a bag that would get tons of use, but I couldn't get the extra 15% to work, and that was enough of an obstacle for me. I "need" it but I don't love it and I don't actually need it right this moment.

The makeupexchange subreddit is AWESOME. I have both sold and bought from there and I love it.

Any chance you can PM me a link to this? Would love to see it!

Doing excellent so far on my low buy - no makeup or skin/body/haircare purchases as of today. However, I did "purchase" a new tankini. I desperately needed a new one for this summer, so I checked out Sears/Kmart where I have a Shop Your Way Rewards card. Found a tankini that, with using my points, was free for me. And I have it delivered to the store for pickup, so other than gas to get there (not far, the mall in my town), and $1.10 for tax, I'm doing great so far with the low buy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Still working on my Project 10 Pan. So close on my shampoo, hand soap, hand lotion, toothpaste, etc. I know some of this stuff might not be officially 'counted', but my makeup to use up is going to take a while to use, so I'm including the other items, as an all-encompassing beauty pan project for this summer. Though I am still looking forward to purchasing eye shadows and nail polish (my downfalls) - but will wait until I use up more items first.

@ jaylilee - my DH and I follow the Dave Ramsey plan for debt reduction/savings and YNAB program for budgeting and have done well - we will be debt free this September if all goes as plan, having paid off $40,000 mostly over the course of this year. We don't have a house yet though, still renting an apartment, and waiting for DH to get through his Masters in Teaching (math/history/government) program to buy a house - looking at 100% down plan :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ETA: And there goes $10 a month. I signed up for my first Birchbox. But these are on my allowed list, and still considered part of my low-buy. Yay! SO happy to start my first sub box. Really hoping I like what I get.

Congrats on the $40k, that is a mega achievement! My best advice - once you buy your place - keep saving. Don't get caught in the trap of "now I've accomplished my goals and I can spend." I have been a little guilty of that this year. I really need to get back in saving mode.

Well I have a new rule to my no-buy. My trip where I could go to Sephora and make a few purchases was cancelled. And on top of that I went through a kind of breakup. I was upset so I purchased the black Fergie lipstick (to match my mood) and a purple Essie(allowed by my rules seeing it was from TJ Maxx. The lipstick was $3 and a color I do not have in my collection so I am allowing it. HOWEVER!, I need to not let my emotions (usually sad ones) make me purchase things as a temporary fix.

So! Instead of the one day at Sephora I am allowed ONE Sephora order online or order from Urban Decay seeing I want the Electric palette. With the UD sale stuff I will probably order there so I can get enough for free shipping without spending more then necessary. It depends on the samples offered.

I'm so guilty of sad/bad mood spending. This year work has been extra stressful and that's my main reason I've spent way too much. I'm trying to get back into save mode. Number one culprit for me is sephora.com. I'm trying to only go there now when there is a good code rather than just always perusing to see what's new (which ultimately always fills my cart).

I want the BB Mermaid box so bad I can taste it, but I am not going to buy it. I don't have enough points, so I'm going to stay strong.
I'm in this boat too. I put it in my cart and BB even sent me a 20% off code since I didn't bite the bullet yet. Now I'm very tempted. I wonder if it will still be there in July when I will have another box come and more reviews, meaning more points. Although now I could get $10 off with points, plus the 20% off... So I'm debating, but so far I'm holding strong to my no buy. Please tell me I don't need to buy it.

shopstash.jpg

Talk about shopping my stash. I just posted this on my instagram but HELLO SHOPPING MY STASH! Guess who forgot she had these? This girl. I had been lusting over sleek flamingo blush, mac desert rose blush, Mac cranberry, expensive pink, nylon and bronze. Also eyeliner. So guess what I found in my collection?

I found exact dupes (some not pictured here). Guess who won't be buying more stuff any time soon? This girl! I will keep this palette patiently waiting until July 1st after I'm done with my June products, or will incorporate them before then ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but if I wait then it's definitely more like shopping my stash (totally psychological, but it gets me excited to use my stuff).

edit: I FINALLY figured out how to add pictures! guess I just couldn't do it from the regular reply screen. I'm proud xD (it's the little things....)

Thank you for posting this. This is so true. We all need to shop our stash. I have more stuff than I know what to do with. I don't NEED more. Lol.

Alright, I decided not to get the Kate Spade purse. It is a bag that would get tons of use, but I couldn't get the extra 15% to work, and that was enough of an obstacle for me. I "need" it but I don't love it and I don't actually need it right this moment.
This always happens to me with Kate Spade. I suggest when you really want to buy a purse (and aren't just tempted by a sale) to check Bloomingdales sale. They have REALLY good handbag sales - but in store only. The prices are NEVER as good online. Also, if you see something you like online but they don't have it in store, they may be able to order it for you with free shipping for cheaper than you can order it online. Same goes if you see a bag in store but don't like the color, sometimes they can order it for you in another color. Sometimes the different colors can be even cheaper than the colors that are in store.

I'm pretty proud of myself.  I was on a mini-vacation this week and of course shopping was involved.  My only purchase was from Lush, and it didn't go on the credit card (as per my low-buy rules for myself) and I only get to shop at Lush a few times a year when I'm out of town.  I resisted buying anything at:  The Body Shop, Sephora (this is huge for me!) and Bath and Body Works.

So far I'm doing great on this low-buy!

I just hit pan on another eyeshadow in my Maybelline 8 Pan Palette in Sunbaked Neutrals! It's at the corner of the shadow because I always put my brush there so I can hit pan faster. When I clear out a bit more of it (to show more of the pan) I will post a pic to the "I hit pan on" thread :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm pretty proud of myself.  I was on a mini-vacation this week and of course shopping was involved.  My only purchase was from Lush, and it didn't go on the credit card (as per my low-buy rules for myself) and I only get to shop at Lush a few times a year when I'm out of town.  I resisted buying anything at:  The Body Shop, Sephora (this is huge for me!) and Bath and Body Works.

So far I'm doing great on this low-buy!

I just hit pan on another eyeshadow in my Maybelline 8 Pan Palette in Sunbaked Neutrals! It's at the corner of the shadow because I always put my brush there so I can hit pan faster. When I clear out a bit more of it (to show more of the pan) I will post a pic to the "I hit pan on" thread :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Way to go ladies!

Granted, I think a big part of it is that I've started concentrating my efforts into paying off debt, and actually using things I have, not just makeup but in all forms of my life -- all my art supplies are being put to good use. Not buying a single pencil. nothing. It's amazing how once you put in some rules, all the freedom that allows. I've also been keeping my spirits up by obsessively watching youtube no-buy/project pan videos. There's a really small but very dedicated community of youtube video makers, and seeing their progress only inspires me to use up my stuff too.
Yay! Have fun with paying off debt, it can be just as addicting as makeup-buying :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Am wondering if you could list the names of the Youtubers you watch that are project panning? Youtube is such a huge website, I'd like an easier way to locate those I might be interested in watching.

Yay! Have fun with paying off debt, it can be just as addicting as makeup-buying :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Am wondering if you could list the names of the Youtubers you watch that are project panning? Youtube is such a huge website, I'd like an easier way to locate those I might be interested in watching.
Absolutely! most of these are/did either project panning currently, or doing decluttering videos and some form of no buy or low buy, etc. 

Amber F, prettypistol86, StrwberrySweet, Anya Marie, beautywithemilyfox, kristen papulis, pinksofoxy, laura helene, jadorefashionxoxo, beautybyhadley1, chantrycosmetix, cozyrosy1, girlbehindthechair09, emilypbeauty02, sannasbeauty, megsmakeup8, xoxofoodie, curioussparkles c, thelovelyarray, gymba24, ruthie H, lipstickandbaygon, glamour with grace, that galloway girl, priscillaasays

xD there are probably more I'm missing but there you go!  phew! 

About mid-way through the month and I have done... Not great but not bad. I haven't made any progress whatsoever on using up any of the makeup items I needed to finish, because I've been under the weather and haven't worn any. :/

I also went over my proposed beauty budget by $17 and change. However, I stayed $25 under my Bath & Body Works SAS budget so it evens out a bit.

I've been tremendously good about resisting some drugstore temptations, but will be caving on some new colors in my favorite indie brand, that were previously unannounced and unexpected.

I feel that so far my first foray into low-buy is feeling comfortable. I'm not too worried about how things are going and barring an earth-shattering release or event, I feel comfortable staying within my remaining (miniscule) budget. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back