June 2014 No/Low-Buy Thread - Hugs, commiseration and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's rough.  All the pretties you collected stop being fun once they become a task rather than fun.  Somebody mentioned somewhere that they look up old reviews for products they own when they are thinking of buying a dupe.  This makes the product they own seem exciting and covet-able again rather than just some old thing they own.   Maybe you could do this with some of your shampoos/conditioners/etc.?  Then you will remember why you were excited about the product and bought it in the first place.  Or go through and try to date them, set a cut off point, and throw away anything that is beyond that to avoid finding frightfully old ones?
Nope.  These were never exciting or pretty.  They were cheap.  They were things I bought basically out of desperation (because you *have* to bathe even when you're so broke you're more or less living on popcorn because it's cheap) when I couldn't get so much as an acknowledgement of a resume submission, so we're talking about Suave and B&BW stuff bought on sale/clearance and Whole Foods store brand shampoo purchased because I had a gift card.  If anything, they remind me of a very, *very* bad time of my life.  They're kind of like an itchy sweater a nasty ex gave you that you haven't gotten around to tossing yet because it's kind of warm when you get *really* desperate and every other comfycozy sweater or sweatshirt you actually like is dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
So....I'm thinking about selling some of my un-loved makeup. Some of it has been used (with very minimal use!) - whats your guys advice on selling it??? Ebay, or here in the Buy, Sell, Trade threads, or maybe on my instagram or a blog sale??
You can't sell used makeup on eBay. I don't think MUT's BST pages are that effective. I've had really good luck with Instagram using #themakeupexchange @themakeupexchange and other hashtags. There's also a make up selling section of Reddit but I'm not on there so I can't speak to that.

Nope.  These were never exciting or pretty.  They were cheap.  They were things I bought basically out of desperation (because you *have* to bathe even when you're so broke you're more or less living on popcorn because it's cheap) when I couldn't get so much as an acknowledgement of a resume submission, so we're talking about Suave and B&BW stuff bought on sale/clearance and Whole Foods store brand shampoo purchased because I had a gift card.  If anything, they remind me of a very, *very* bad time of my life.  They're kind of like an itchy sweater a nasty ex gave you that you haven't gotten around to tossing yet because it's kind of warm when you get *really* desperate and every other comfycozy sweater or sweatshirt you actually like is dirty.
Maybe a nice bin for them then?  You know they are still there in an absolute emergency but for the time being they can be considered gone?  I find that for me throwing stuff out (even if I know I don't need it and it's hindering me to keep it around) is the absolute worst. 

You guys, I am killing it at this using up products thing!  I am keeping track of my empties for the month for the first time and I can't wait to post a big giant list at the end of the month.  Plus it's been fun to use neglected products/samples.  I really should have joined this forum sooner because so far it's going great and I am having a blast without spending a penny!
Awesome! I find that keeping track of my empties helps with the no buy because it's a constant reminder that I have so much stuff!

You can't sell used makeup on eBay. I don't think MUT's BST pages are that effective. I've had really good luck with Instagram using #themakeupexchange @themakeupexchange and other hashtags. There's also a make up selling section of Reddit but I'm not on there so I can't speak to that.
Thanks for the insight! I'll probably try selling it on IG then. It's probably my best bet.

I actually did end up getting some stuff from the collection that I was going to allow myself to purchase from, but it's nothing that I was originally planning on getting. It's all stuff that's either missing from my collection (like bronzer) or it has colors that I know for sure that I will actually, most definitely wear. None of it is as wild and bright as the lovely lavenders, oranges, and bright pinks that I wanted, but I guess it's a step in the right direction to only actually get things that I know I will for sure wear? 

Anyway, now that I've done that, I'm done for the month! Unless I run out of something, that is, but given the size of my collection, I doubt that's likely. 

I have exactly like...10% left of a tube of lip gloss on my project pan items, and it's TAKING FOR FREAKING EVER! it's my mac looks like sin cremesheen, and i wrote it down as 50% but then saw through the light that it literally has like...a quarter inch left in the tube, and the sides are just stained. i've been using it and reapplying religiously, since i have noticed that this lip gloss and the revlon lip butters only last like...two hours on my lips, at best. they're both almost done and I'm excited to replace them! (with...another lip butter, and another lip gloss). once they're done, I'll switch to lipsticks, which take longer. 

I impulse bought a $6 Nars thing to get a GWP then... I bought another to get another GWP to gift. Ugh. This is what I get for playing on my phone so early in the morning

I impulse bought a $6 Nars thing to get a GWP then... I bought another to get another GWP to gift. Ugh. This is what I get for playing on my phone so early in the morning
i didnt know people could spend only $6 on nars stuff xD i wish!

i still have several blushes on my list...sigh.

Must. Resist. The. Urge. to ask you where you managed to spend $6 on Nars and also get a GWP!?

Must. Resist. The. Urge. to ask you where you managed to spend $6 on Nars and also get a GWP!?
Neiman Marcus is having a beauty event and Nars has a lippy gwp with any purchase. My guess is a pencil sharpener for $6. I won't post it here, but I posted in the enablers thread with additional discounts and codes.

I've done really good on my no buy (yeah I know it's only been 4days)

I did have gift card to spend and had to pay for tax and $7 extra to complete the transaction. Also made a $1.50 purchase for my HG mascara, but this will be passed on to my Summer Swap person, unless she doesn't want mascara...not likely :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm going to Vegas this weekend and my husband wants to go to Lush! What the Whaaaat! I've never used their products, but a person at his work told him HE'D love it...so I may have to break the no buy for that.

Yeah, I'm skipping out on the NM Nars stuff. I have a lot of lip products as is.

Still doing good on my no-buy! then again its only day 4 of the week xD! but hey, that's 4 more days than I would have ever resisted back in september of last year. I am actually really enjoying using the items I have, it's like something has slowly but surely switched in my brain, so fingers crossed that things continue to go so well for me. Hubby and I did the math and, if we seriously set our minds to it, we could have all of our debt eliminated in 3 years except for our mortgage, which is a 30 year mortgage lol but we'd be able to then start making bigger payments on that. I have realized that I have enough makeup to really last me 3 years without even hurting lol.... I'd have to replace things like foundation, setting powder, shampoo/conditioner, etc, and maybe even body lotion, but for actual color stuff like eyeshadow and blush? yeah, I'm set for life. So we're going to take a crack at getting rid of the debt. 

Hope everyone's doing well and hanging in there! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should not have gone into Ulta to wander around before an appointment. I may have bought a NYX Macaroon Lippie as a result. But, in my defense, they were all so new and shiny and untouched, which is extremely rare at my Ulta, so this really may have been my only chance to pick one up in person. I did resist a bunch of other stuff, though, and added them to my mental list of replacement purchases for the future.

Doing well so far. Currently working on my list of Shiro CotMs that I want to buy near the end of this month (the Shiro CotM clear out is on my allowed list and the colors are guaranteed until June 30). Also pondering a Rainbow Honey order near the middle to end of the month (because of their limited edition nail polish for June). Hopefully these will be my only makeup-related orders for June.

I have two indie orders that I ordered in May coming in this month, too, so hopefully those will keep me occupied and prevent me from buying more things.

Okay so first the good...I had subscribed to rainbow honey sub box, but before I even got my June box I cancelled. No need to spend money in that! If I fall in love with a mystery box I will just get it, no need for a sub.

Here is the bad part.

My sephora cart is currently filled with a benefit balm and 2 discounted sephora eyeshadows because I wanted to hit $25 mark so I could get the 100 point aqua liner they are offering and the free fresh rose balm. I am drooling over those freebies so bad!! But I am supposed to be strict no buy this month and my total would be $37 after ship...which clearly is not "no buy" :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Somebody talk me down from this craziness. Lol

I've done really good on my no buy (yeah I know it's only been 4days)

I did have gift card to spend and had to pay for tax and $7 extra to complete the transaction. Also made a $1.50 purchase for my HG mascara, but this will be passed on to my Summer Swap person, unless she doesn't want mascara...not likely :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm going to Vegas this weekend and my husband wants to go to Lush! What the Whaaaat! I've never used their products, but a person at his work told him HE'D love it...so I may have to break the no buy for that.
@@SaraP Make sure you go to the LUSH at Mandalay Place, It's the biggest of the two!

I've already broken my spending limit for June. When I found out Neiman Marcus had the beauty GWP I ended up asking my hubby for the the extra $50 to get me to the minimum.

... although, in my defense I DO also have a coupon so I don't think it will be the whole $50... that leaves a little bit of an emergency fund, right? Right? :rolleyes:

I'm going on a no buy for makeup this month. I'm moving across the country next week after graduating from college. I don't have any furniture, so I'm going to be spending a lot of money on that. Right now, I'm very lacking in makeup organization, so I'm going to allow myself to get an Alex 9 from Ikea to store my makeup, and whatever other containers I need.

Other than that, I'm going to try not to buy any makeup, not even using gift cards or my PayPal balance. I really just don't need anything right now.

Back