June 2014 No/Low-Buy Thread - Hugs, commiseration and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 2 ofJune and I'm itching to make a MAC order! I still have 5 spots in my eyeshadow palette that I want to fill.

I'm getting a bonus from work within the next couple of weeks and so I'll have a bit of $$ to spend BUT I'm moving so I'll need a lot of that money for my security deposit, first month's rent, and furniture. I should just hold off until later this summer to fill my palette.
Don't do it!! Moving sucks and is horribly expensive. Furniture is much more important than make up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What Jess said! Also, the fewer things you buy now, the fewer things you will have to pack, move, and possibly lose or destroy.

So after seeing that Stila is on Hautelook today, I'm trying to convince myself that it's fair to add a clause to my low-buy:

• My two Ipsy bags, and if this month is disappointing/dupe-y again, I cancel one of them.
  • Goodies for my Summerswap buddy
  • ONE purchase for myself using an Ipsy promo code if there's something I REALLY want with a REALLY good code... OR one Hautelook purchase if there's an offer from a REALLY good brand, and it HAS to be something that's already on my written wishlist.
Is that fair, or do I need someone to talk me down from the ledge in the next hour? :wacko2:

So after seeing that Stila is on Hautelook today, I'm trying to convince myself that it's fair to add a clause to my low-buy:

• My two Ipsy bags, and if this month is disappointing/dupe-y again, I cancel one of them.
  • Goodies for my Summerswap buddy
  • ONE purchase for myself using an Ipsy promo code if there's something I REALLY want with a REALLY good code... OR one Hautelook purchase if there's an offer from a REALLY good brand, and it HAS to be something that's already on my written wishlist.
Is that fair, or do I need someone to talk me down from the ledge in the next hour? :wacko2:
I've never ordered from Hautelook because I've heard it's a very disappointing experience between shipping taking *forever* and stuff maybe being messed up when you get it. Don't do it!

My only problem with hautelook is shipping is expensive. I think I've ordered once with a free shipping code. Never again after that. They always have stuff I want but I cant pull the trigger on the shipping.

Crisis averted:  I did NOT order from Sephora a few days ago just to get the products from the promo code.  Go me!

June goals:

Low-buy on the old credit card!  If I have the cash it's fine, but the beauty expenses on my credit card are starting to seem ridiculous even to me.  

Allowed:  Ipsy, BB, shipping for trades and one Amazon order (but this is for my husband for Father's Day).  Maybe Julep.  Maybe!

Not Allowed:  No other beauty purchases of any kind on the credit card

This is my first low-buy and I'm feeling pretty good about it.  Good luck to everyone on their June goals.

Aaaand I failed. Stupid pretty-colored liquid liners (I'm on a never-ending hunt for the perfect green). Okay, now I'm SERIOUS, no more of this ridiculousness! That means no Ipsy buys no matter how awesome the codes are, since I made a "ONE Hautelook OR Ipsy buy" deal with myself.

I have been stalking these threads for months, each time with the intention of doing a low-buy, yet I never seem to succeed. Two or three days into the month, I always end up splurging on something ridiculous. Then, I feel like a failure. Instead of reigning it in and stopping the madness, I continue to spend, spend, spend. I really need to save for vacation, so I need to just stop wasting money. Last month, I did keep a tally of where my money went. Yikes. I feel kind of sick when I see how much stuff I bought that I absolutely did not need. 

Allowed:
  • Ipsy subs x2 - I will probably cancel at least one of these within the next couple of months, but I almost have enough points for a freebie. The second bag usually goes to my  mom. (Also keeping my Netflix subscription.)
  • New tennis shoes - I need these for work, as we have a super casual dress code. My go-to pair are worn out and desperately need replaced. Hoping to spend $75 or less. If I have any money left from the $75 I am allotting for shoes, I'll use that to buy some black pants for work, which also are starting to look a little ragged.
  • SummerSwap - allowing $25 for purchasing gifts for my swap buddy.
  • Splurge budget - $25. If I buy any makeup/healty/beauty products, they must come out of this money. Hoping to only replace anything I run out of, but I should be able to just shop from my stash. 
Not allowed:
  • Memebox - I am addicted. I have four boxes that I haven't even unpacked, so I need to slow down. 
  • Credit card purchases. - No using the credit cards for anything, unless it's an actual emergency. 
  • No impulse makeup purchases simply because of a GWP. ( I really need to stay away from the enablers thread.)
My birthday is this month, so this might prove to be harder that I think. So far, so good...but it's only the second day of the month. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I completely resisted the Beauty.com 20% off sale! (codes ended yesterday) - I've been planning on getting the NARS Tinted Moisturizer for the past two weeks but talked myself out of it.

Shiro has their color of the month clear out now, but it will last until June 30, so I'm going to wait closer to the end of the month to make an order.

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D

@@Sheeeeeelby & @tweakabell Tomorrow's a fresh start!

ugh yeah it sucks :C I am trying my hardest not to dwell on it. ibuprofen and lots of cold water to soothe my gums. 

keep going!!! I have...a lot to lose. 60 pounds. ugh ;-; currently at 216. my reward for when i lose the weight is $1500 from my husband and $1000 from my mother to re-do my wardrobe...that offer has been on the table for years...and yet I somehow am still not where I'd like to be ;-; 
I have about 70 lbs to lose and I WISH my hubs and mother would put that much money on the line for me! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am just making up my own rewards as I go along, depending on what I want at the time, so they change often! LOL

I must have the BB Modern Mermaid box, but I have enough points/gift cards to cover $30 of it, so I don't consider it a big deal. I hope they don't do any more limited edition boxes for awhile so I can build my points again. I'll be completely tapped out now.

I canceled my two Birchbox subscriptions because I haven't been anything I really liked in the past. Although I'm considering trying Ipsy, but then I read about their practice of deleting negative comments on the forum yesterday, so that made me back out (good!) 

However, I just bought a Golden Tote today! Aww I still can't help spend money on clothes.

We're almost half-way through the year. Let's make June count!

So starting with me, I started out May really, really bad...but a few-ish days in realized I needed to become more serious. Bonus point, I haven't done any shopping since then, but the bad part was how much I spent! So this June, I am planning on continuing to select a few items each month that I can concentrate on and try to use as much of by the end of the month (this is actually really enjoyable for me!) as well as incorporate items from my stash. 
I will join you, @@jaylilee! I joined MUT in late February, but have been enjoying lurking in this No-Buy Support Forum and would love to join in officially for June on a low-buy for the forseeable future. I'm not a makeup junkie. In fact, I somehow have 150 items of makeup/bath/body (not including individual eye shadow colors, 14 duos/trios/quads mostly, no palettes yet)  that I've 'collected' and used somewhat over the years, adding a few small things every month. Now that I'm getting into more makeup and wearing it every day as opposed to just special occasions or when I'm not running late for work, I really want to work through my stuff so that I can add more that I want to try out. I do not have subscriptions yet, so this is the perfect time for me to try. I loved reading about the Project Pan challenges and will be doing a Project 10 Pan for at least this month, if not longer. I also vow to use daily my skincare items and moisturizer, and to wear an SPF product and makeup if I plan on leaving the house (I work from home, so unless I go out for a run, I mostly only go out during weekends).

Last edited by a moderator:
The plan was to buy a few things from the Osbourne collection from MAC and have that be all I got for the month, but everything I wanted sold out before I could even add it to my cart. Maybe this is the universe trying to tell me something? As cute and lovely as it all is, I don't think I'm going to look at counters or anything for any of the items and I'm pretty sure I'll be perfectly fine if I miss out on a collection or two, especially since I went a little wild with how much I bought from the Aquatic collection. I have enough as it is, so this is probably a blessing in disguise!

Here's hoping we all have an awesome month! 

You guys, I am killing it at this using up products thing!  I am keeping track of my empties for the month for the first time and I can't wait to post a big giant list at the end of the month.  Plus it's been fun to use neglected products/samples.  I really should have joined this forum sooner because so far it's going great and I am having a blast without spending a penny!

I'm *very* tempted to go through my bathroom, toss out all of the shower gel/shampoo/scrubs/conditioner/etc.and just start over.  Purge it all, place one Lush order (one shower gel, one shampoo, one conditioner.  I would just go to the Lush store, but the shampoo I want is online-only), and get a fresh start.  Last night, I found a bottle of shampoo that must be at least four years old because it's from Whole Foods, and they changed the label on this stuff at least that long ago.  I actually think I bought it when I was still living in the Seattle area, which would make it *six* years old.  And it was almost full.  I feel like this stuff must breed when I'm not looking because it just *never ends*.  

It just feels really *defeating* and like using everything up is impossible when you think you're *so close* to the end and then, nope, there's another bottle.  At this point, it's not even about no-/low-buy.  It's about just wanting what I have to be *gone*.

Joining in for June! I spent waaaay too much the first five months of the year, and I know I'll go ham when the holidays foll around, so summer is my chance to make it up! For June, I am looking at:

- Ipsy (paid)

- Glossybox (used Glossydots)

- $50 BBW Semi-Annual Sale

- $50 "emergency" fund.

GOALS

- Finish up two almost finished foundations

- Finish up one mascara

- Finish up one face powder

- Finish up at least one BBW lotion and shower gel

NOT ALLOWED

- No items I am trying to use up (powder, mascara, foundation)

- No new MAC (Back 2 MAC is only exception)

- No using promos to justify unnecessary purchases.

It's going to be really hard. I'm already chomping at the bit to try the new UD mascara.

ETA: Mascara doesn't come out until July. Hooray! I'm saved! :laughno:

ETA2: Emergency already happened! When I was removing my makeup, I missed the cotton pad and dumped makeup remover all over the floor. I went from 1/2 bottle to less than 1/4th! I'm off to a great start!

I did a project pan on my Nude'Tude palette and it was such a great feeling to accomplish that. I think I am going to do that for this month. I think it will be good incentive. Last month I only spent $5 out of pocket, but I still bought makeup and I think I need to focus on my latest mantra. Quality over Quantity! Everything in my life fits that bill except my makeup collection. I need to focus on using what I have. I am going to pick one product from each category to try and hit pan on this month.

I need to make a full on Goal List instead of posts adding things I should do (Sorry for all the scattered posts, my mind does not like to organize everything in a simple way lol)

So I am on basically on a no-buy!

My rules:

1: I can keep my ipsy and birchbox. (I LOVE my birchbox points, but I don't love box itself so I may consider cancelling that)

2: No makeup* (including chapstick since I purchased some last month)

3: No Essie nail polish**

*I am allowed to break my no-buy on June 20th when I am on a trip and will be near a Sephora. I am allowing myself the Urban Decay Electric Palette, a brow pencil, and one or two other things.

**I am allowed to buy Essie polish if it is from TJ Maxx at a lower price and in a color I do not have.

I am going to focus hitting pan on the following things this month:

1: Mushroom in my Urban Decay Mariposa palette (Will probably hit this week)

2:The brunette powder and wax in my Too Faced Brow Envy set. I have been using this everyday since August and it is finally close to a pan

3: A Deluxe sample of Pixi bronzer in Summertime. I have been using this everyday since November. I love it, but for summer I want to use my Tarte Park Ave Bronzer, but I want to hit pan on my Pixi first

I am going to try and use up the following products:

1: Revlon eye primer: mehh about this but don't want to waste it and it's so close to being finished

2: A sample of noya lipgloss in Summertime Peach

3: Coola BB Cream: I have been using this sample for 3 weeks now and I swear it's never ending for such a tiny bottle

4: Sumita Black eyeliner from Birchbox. I just want this and my Cynthia Rowley ones to be used up because Smashbox Onyx is my HG now and I just want to get a full size of it

5: Benefit Lollitint sample

6: Covergirl loose powder: I have been trying to use this up for months! A little goes a long way for me and holy poo I just want it used up!

7: MuFE lipstick sample in Natural (From the Sephora Birthday gift)

I am going to try and put a dent in:

1: My LAQA & Co. Lip lube :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOVE THIS STUFF!

2: MAC lipstick in Pink Nouveau

3: Dior lip Maximizer

4: Lorac Baked Matte Satin Blush in Velvet Rope

5: Any other colors from the Urban Decay Mariposa palette and TheBalm Nude'Tude palette (I'll eventually get bored with these palettes and switch though. I need change often in my life or I'll get bored)

6: Lorac Pro mascara (HG!)

So....I'm thinking about selling some of my un-loved makeup. Some of it has been used (with very minimal use!) - whats your guys advice on selling it???  Ebay, or here in the Buy, Sell, Trade threads, or maybe on my instagram or a blog sale?? 

I'm *very* tempted to go through my bathroom, toss out all of the shower gel/shampoo/scrubs/conditioner/etc.and just start over.  Purge it all, place one Lush order (one shower gel, one shampoo, one conditioner.  I would just go to the Lush store, but the shampoo I want is online-only), and get a fresh start.  Last night, I found a bottle of shampoo that must be at least four years old because it's from Whole Foods, and they changed the label on this stuff at least that long ago.  I actually think I bought it when I was still living in the Seattle area, which would make it *six* years old.  And it was almost full.  I feel like this stuff must breed when I'm not looking because it just *never ends*.  

It just feels really *defeating* and like using everything up is impossible when you think you're *so close* to the end and then, nope, there's another bottle.  At this point, it's not even about no-/low-buy.  It's about just wanting what I have to be *gone*.
That's rough.  All the pretties you collected stop being fun once they become a task rather than fun.  Somebody mentioned somewhere that they look up old reviews for products they own when they are thinking of buying a dupe.  This makes the product they own seem exciting and covet-able again rather than just some old thing they own.   Maybe you could do this with some of your shampoos/conditioners/etc.?  Then you will remember why you were excited about the product and bought it in the first place.  Or go through and try to date them, set a cut off point, and throw away anything that is beyond that to avoid finding frightfully old ones?

Back