June 2014 No/Low-Buy Thread - Hugs, commiseration and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@@jaylilee I hope your teeth feel better :/ Braces suck (speaking from the point of view of that adorable child who had them for 5 years) but you're doing great to realize that the stress/pain is a trigger and trying to head it off.  Keep that up!

@@jaylilee I hope your teeth feel better :/ Braces suck (speaking from the point of view of that adorable child who had them for 5 years) but you're doing great to realize that the stress/pain is a trigger and trying to head it off.  Keep that up!
ughhh i know. I honestly now feel like people should be thankful that most of their teeth shifting and dental work happens when they're little, so by the time they're old they don't remember how obnoxiously annoying this is lol! I have about 7 weeks left before the expanders come off and then the braces come in for 2 years D:

And indeed! I keep reminding myself that using up a single eyeshadow would take me 9 months with daily use (I don't wear makeup on the weekends), and I have like.... over 200 (if you count single shadows in palettes as 1, which they should be). Like, my naked palette each pan is 1.3g of product...a single mac shadow is 1.5, so yeah, they count as full sized shadows in my mind. same for blush. It's going to take me YEARSSSS to use this stuff up. Thankfully powder products last a long time and I keep mine sanitized and well stored in a dark, dry, cool place. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming back to say that I am on a nail polish no buy. It was never in the rules before because I never really bought a lot. I have a rule where all my nail polish must fit in a Dior 12x12 box. Because of that my OCD is insane and all must fit in the box like tetris. My favorite is Essie (my OCD loves the square bottles...and I love the formula). I have been on a mission to replace all my nail polish with Essie and it's getting out of hand. As a college student I need to stop spending money on things I don't really need.

So this month (well I failed today I bought one) I am no longer allowed to buy nail polish at full price. I will allow it if I find it on sale at TJ Max because I cannot pass up a good deal.

I also will keep my Birchbox and Ipsy.

I feel like I posted in here but now I don't remember and I'm on mobile and too lazy to double check haha.

Continuing low/no buy. No more washi/paper goods purchases either. No clothes purchases (got out of hand last semester). Cancel birchbox #2 after this month (where I will hopefully hit 300 points on that one).

Start packing our apartment. No job offers yet but I'm definitely moving by August 15th - either to wherever I end up being employed or to my boyfriends moms house. Her house is *awesome* and she's letting us pre-store things there. My boyfriend and I have a pretty crappy apartment. We got it from my sisters best friend and I bought all the furniture, bed, plates, everything from here for $50 and brunch. Since this bed has been handed down from 3 sorority sisters ago, and pretty much everything else in here too, our game plan is to throw everything away/donate what we can. It'll make moving pretty quick and easy. I just wanna get a head start on our books, etc.

I feel overwhelmed. My support system is pretty confident I'll have a job by the time I defend my thesis. I just feel blah about everything even though I have a ton of interviews in the next weeks. If anyone needs a MS of Economics with a good list of internships, holla ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Similarly, if someone needs to be talked down from a purchase, also holla :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I feel overwhelmed. My support system is pretty confident I'll have a job by the time I defend my thesis. I just feel blah about everything even though I have a ton of interviews in the next weeks. If anyone needs a MS of Economics with a good list of internships, holla ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Similarly, if someone needs to be talked down from a purchase, also holla :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I need an MS of economics! particularly, I need an MS of economics to tell me why the economics of my bank account are so horrible, and how to make it better  :lol: (in all seriousness, <3333 Jess, good luck with all the interviews!)

I need an MS of economics! particularly, I need an MS of economics to tell me why the economics of my bank account are so horrible, and how to make it better :lol: (in all seriousness, <3333 Jess, good luck with all the interviews!)
Hahaah i could do that!!

I just bought a melted lipstick guess that makes this a low-buy...

Jaylilee, sorry you are experiencing tooth pain.

Jess, good luck with the interviews.

Meaganola, fraud stinks, sorry to hear about it.

Everyone--let's remember that even in stressful and cruddy situations, we can do this!  Good luck for June.

Oops, first day of June and I just bought a maxi dress. 
ACK!!! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

noooooo!!! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

LOL, I just redid my rewards system for my weight loss journey and added in gift cards to whatever store online or offline I want... so maybe I really SHOULD be on a no buy until I lose weight... that would definitely be motivating!!

I'm going to inventory my makeup and skin care today... using the app My Makeup Collection. If you don't hear from me... send someone to dig me out of my huge pile of stuff! LOL

Hahaah i could do that!!
  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D 

Oops, first day of June and I just bought a maxi dress. 

@@Sheeeeeelby & @tweakabell Tomorrow's a fresh start!

Jaylilee, sorry you are experiencing tooth pain.

Everyone--let's remember that even in stressful and cruddy situations, we can do this!  Good luck for June.
ugh yeah it sucks :C I am trying my hardest not to dwell on it. ibuprofen and lots of cold water to soothe my gums. 

LOL, I just redid my rewards system for my weight loss journey and added in gift cards to whatever store online or offline I want... so maybe I really SHOULD be on a no buy until I lose weight... that would definitely be motivating!!

I'm going to inventory my makeup and skin care today... using the app My Makeup Collection. If you don't hear from me... send someone to dig me out of my huge pile of stuff! LOL
keep going!!! I have...a lot to lose. 60 pounds. ugh ;-; currently at 216. my reward for when i lose the weight is $1500 from my husband and $1000 from my mother to re-do my wardrobe...that offer has been on the table for years...and yet I somehow am still not where I'd like to be ;-; 

guys  this is going to be gross so i'm going to put it behind spoilers

I am currently having orthodontic work done, and I have expanders placed in right now. Usually, for adults, the only way to expand a palette is  to basically slice the roof of the person's mouth open and break the jaw  to push it wider apart. THANKFULLY, My jaw, teeth and gums are very healthy so I was able to get away with having expanders in, which is basically shaped to my palate/roof of my mouth and cemented to my molars, and every other day I had to activate it (crank it wider apart) with this little stick thing. This is what they do for kids lol.

So now I am done activating it, but they have to sit for 2 months, to let my teeth sit in place before braces come in. At that point, my whole bite will get shifted over to acommodate space for a tooth (crown + implant that will cost us like 5k, on top of the 7k my braces have already cost...thank good for HSA accounts). My teeth today have been sore and annoyed as I feel certain that my teeth are shifting.

All this has seriously put me on edge all day. I just downed a ton of ibuprophen with milk. but the funny thing i noticed is ... i started looking at makeup. I am realizing that discomfort and stress push me to look for that "happy fix" and that's so dangerous! gah! 
Aww :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I'm so sorry to hear you have to have an expander.  I had one of those when I was younger (10-11 maybe?) and every night when my mom would have to crank it I would cry.  I always thought it hurt.  Seems like the expander is a lot better than the other option though.  Hoping you are feeling better. 

Alright, after just placing orders with Rainbow Honey and Urban Outfitters while KNOWING I was mainly doing it out of boredom and not feeling good, I made myself hop over here. Going to come up with a game plan tonight, but I think the main thing will be to stay in THIS thread instead of stalking the ENABLERS thread, LOL! I wish I had my Summerswap assignment, because stalking and plotting that will help keep me distracted this month!

Ok, so before I had a chance to come here and post about a low-buy, I've made three orders today. Nothing outrageous, Birchbox was mostly points/gift cards, so I only spent $4.

Rainbow Honey was $19, got the mini mystery bag and the new Sea Star polish. I usually don't do RH, since I have so much polish, but this was really different and something that is very me. Lastly, I spent around $17 getting the lip bag from Hautelook.
Now it's time to stop for a bit. I'm down to one BB and one ipsy, I can only resub my other BB accounts if a new 100 point code comes out. I've been really wanting to sub to another box, maybe snacks, I'd like to hold off on that another month. Also I have baby weight to lose from the last two babies and do not need treats. Eating out needs to be cut back to once a week. That is my hugest problem. I want to go to Sally Beauty Supply, I need shampoo and conditioner, NO NAIL POLISH. Other than that, I don't have any specific goals, I'll have to continually reevaluate how I'm doing to see if I need more rules.

Edited to put my purchases in a spoiler!

Ok, so before I had a chance to come here and post about a low-buy, I've made three orders today. Nothing outrageous, Birchbox was mostly points/gift cards, so I only spent $4. Rainbow Honey was $19, got the mini mystery bag and the new Sea Star polish. I usually don't do RH, since I have so much polish, but this was really different and something that is very me. Lastly, I spent around $17 getting the lip bag from Hautelook. Now it's time to stop for a bit.
Dammit... now I'm even getting enabled in the No-Buy thread! LOL. I'd eyed the Hautelook lip bag the last time it was up, but wasn't quite sold when it was still $25-30 or whatever... but at $10, I couldn't pass it up. I'm justifying it by thinking that maybe I'll be able to use some of it for Summerswap.

Dammit... now I'm even getting enabled in the No-Buy thread! LOL. I'd eyed the Hautelook lip bag the last time it was up, but wasn't quite sold when it was still $25-30 or whatever... but at $10, I couldn't pass it up. I'm justifying it by thinking that maybe I'll be able to use some of it for Summerswap.
Yikes! I'm sorry! I totally should put that in a spoiler.

Yikes! I'm sorry! I totally should put that in a spoiler.
Oh, it's okay, I was just teasing! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And since, like you, I already placed a Rainbow Honey order earlier today, I figure that I'll start tomorrow. I mean, if I went absolutely nuts today, but am good for the rest of the month, that averages out to a low-buy, right? LOL.

ETA: Okay, here's my low-buy game plan.

• My two Ipsy bags, and if this month is disappointing/dupe-y again, I cancel one of them.
  • ONE purchase for myself using an Ipsy promo code if there's something I REALLY want with a REALLY good code.
  • Goodies for my Summerswap buddy.
Nothing else! I have gone absolutely bonkers over the last month or so and bought more stuff than I could possibly ever use. So I'm planning to shop my stash like crazy, and use/review at least 2-3 things a week for my blog. This way I kill two birds with one stone... hopefully avoid the impulse to shop, and bulk up my blog since it's new-ish and I need more entries!

Day 2 ofJune and I'm itching to make a MAC order! I still have 5 spots in my eyeshadow palette that I want to fill.

I'm getting a bonus from work within the next couple of weeks and so I'll have a bit of $$ to spend BUT I'm moving so I'll need a lot of that money for my security deposit, first month's rent, and furniture. I should just hold off until later this summer to fill my palette.

Slightly amending my goals. I spent $26 because Shiro Cosmetics is having their yearly clear out of the Colors of the Months for 2013-2014 so I picked up the 4 colors I still don't have. Beyond that, no buy.

Back