June 2014 No/Low-Buy Thread - Hugs, commiseration and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GO GO GO!

*Cheers*

My low buy turned no buy turned sort of project pan (now for real project pan) is going to be lasting until the end of the year, but the absolute no-buy is in effect since the 26th of May until september 30th.

I do have 1 giftcard for amazon and 6 empties for mac to B2M. Those are the only things I'm allowing myself to use in case I asbolutely find something I must get my little paws on, though for now, I doubt it, considering all the stuff I have.

I think if I get anything from mac, though, it'll be the much talked about vex shadow.... at some point.
YAY! WE CAN DO THIS!

I figured three months was a good chuck of time to work on a Project Pan, PLUS - it ends on my birthday. I always want to head to Sephora on my birthday, so that'll give me plenty of time to think about what it is that I want to buy and if I haven't purchased anything, I won't have the whole guilt of, "Well, I don't really need/deserve anything" hanging over my head.

I also have enough items to do a Back to MAC, but I think I'm going to hang onto them until I get a really bad hankering to buy something. Hopefully that will help me resist the urge to splurge on any unnecessary stuff until the project pan/no buy is over. You can B2M limited edition packaging, right?

Okay, I am officially on a no buy (with a few exceptions) until September 1. I will revisit at that point. I just have way too much stuff and it's stressful to keep acquiring more, especially through deals and subs. I am also getting ready to buy a house and planning my wedding, and I really need to save for both of those major life events. I would rather spend my expendable income on experiences right now while I use and enjoy the pretty things that I already have. I need to unsubscribe from the enablers thread and work on I subscribing from various promo emails. I am posting my exceptions below in hope that it will help keep me accountable.
Hang in there, Bella!

I think you made a fantastic point about wanting to be able to spend money on experiences. We live in a culture that's so caught up on owning "stuff" that rarely do we make time or set aside money for the things that count. Like .... I am pretty sure none of us will remember exactly what our favorite bronzer was 20 years ago, or what we did at the job we hated 50 years ago on X specific day. But I am pretty sure we'll all remember our weddings, and times we get to spend away with our significant others and family members! 

Plus, like you said, I think by now everyone on this thread has more than enough pretties. I know you can do this! 

YAY! WE CAN DO THIS!

I figured three months was a good chuck of time to work on a Project Pan, PLUS - it ends on my birthday. I always want to head to Sephora on my birthday, so that'll give me plenty of time to think about what it is that I want to buy and if I haven't purchased anything, I won't have the whole guilt of, "Well, I don't really need/deserve anything" hanging over my head.

I also have enough items to do a Back to MAC, but I think I'm going to hang onto them until I get a really bad hankering to buy something. Hopefully that will help me resist the urge to splurge on any unnecessary stuff until the project pan/no buy is over. You can B2M limited edition packaging, right?
best birthday present = a sephora trip. lol I just really like that store and all the shiny, well lit makeup. So that's a good present. Just gotta remember not to go hog-wild while I'm there. oftentimes I'll go in just to look and walk out empty handed, after keeping a mental list of items I already own that are similar to some I lusted over.

You can certainly B2M Limited edition packaging :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Even though I have bought some things this month, I feel good about the purchases that I have made. I've done much less in the way of impulse purchasing.

To keep myself accountable, I am adding a new rule that I cannot make an online purchase unless I have waited 24 hours. If it is a limited time offer or something sells out, then that's too bad for me and probably a sign that I was just rushing into a purchase because I thought it was a good deal and not because it was something I needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so tiredd..... guys, so tired. 

Our brand new house house resisted our torrential rains over the last 4 days as well as it could. but eventually the little house that could gave in to water coming up through our foundation in the basement. It didn't come through the wall and there's no structural issues, but we spent most of the night trying to battle it away and save our carpet/furniture. Now we're going to have to air the crap out of everything and make sure nothing was damaged.

I am so tired.

Guess our money is now gonna go towards replacing all of the "stuff" (what's that called? cushioning?) under the carpets we had to pull up to keep it from reaching the furniture. 
Oof.  Nothing sucks like flooding, hopefully you can contact whoever you need to within the city so that it isn't a recurring problem.  But keep staying positive and it will all work out :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's your first big challenge with a new real adventure of a house, so really it's exciting! haha, I'm kidding I know it sucks but try look at getting through it as a problem conquered.

To keep myself accountable, I am adding a new rule that I cannot make an online purchase unless I have waited 24 hours. If it is a limited time offer or something sells out, then that's too bad for me and probably a sign that I was just rushing into a purchase because I thought it was a good deal and not because it was something I needed.
I agree with this completely!  It's really helped  me out a ton this month to look at a purchase I want and wait 24 hours to a week before pulling the trigger.  It keeps me from getting multiples of things as well as making me really excited with any purchases I do make.  If nothing else out of a low-buy I want to form and keep this habit.  

I'm so behind in this thread!!!

I accepted a job offer and my boyfriend and I will be moving basically the Monday after I'm done with class in August :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> We share a studio apartment full of hand me down furniture. Our game plan is to just pack our books, movies, clothes, and TV then set the rest of the place on fire. We picked a great Nashville apartment with a TON of space. All my energy is being spent shopping around for furniture, etc. Bedroom set will be from Ikea and living and dining room will be from Crate & Barrel. Spare bedroom can wait.

I decided all beauty items must fit into one milk crate. I think I'm going to get rid of my basket of nail polish except for the Formula X 22 I recently purchased. I'm intimidated by the start up costs that are unavoidable - like buying brooms, trash cans & bags, the first grocery run -- so I'm on a full out no buy for make up or clothes. Especially clothes!

I feel so make up'd out. I had a great time shopping for my Midsummer Nights & Summerswap buddies but I have no wants for myself. I'm still sitting on $100+ in BB points plus a $60+ sephora store voucher and like, zero wants.

Well, all my wants are sitting at Crate and Barel anyway!!

Congrats on the job, @ !!! That's fantastic, girly.

Being make up'd out is always good. Less spending. I'm make up'd out on my current june items ... ugh x--x i mean, there's nothing wrong and I LOVE them, but I am just ready to switch stuff out.

Then again, I only wear them 5 days out of the week (working days), and then on Saturday I allow myself to wear whatever the F-- I want. 6 more days left! 6 more days and then I can switch stuff out.

We're this close, guys! June is almost done! 

@@jaylilee thanks!!!

I think my spending CRASHES in the summer when it comes to make up! I don't want it to melt off my face so I find myself focusing on skincare and going bare most of the time!

@  Congratulations on the new job!  New job, moving, getting things for the new apt... Exciting stuff!! 

I'm so behind in this thread!!!

I accepted a job offer and my boyfriend and I will be moving basically the Monday after I'm done with class in August :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> We share a studio apartment full of hand me down furniture. Our game plan is to just pack our books, movies, clothes, and TV then set the rest of the place on fire. We picked a great Nashville apartment with a TON of space. All my energy is being spent shopping around for furniture, etc. Bedroom set will be from Ikea and living and dining room will be from Crate & Barrel. Spare bedroom can wait.

I decided all beauty items must fit into one milk crate. I think I'm going to get rid of my basket of nail polish except for the Formula X 22 I recently purchased. I'm intimidated by the start up costs that are unavoidable - like buying brooms, trash cans & bags, the first grocery run -- so I'm on a full out no buy for make up or clothes. Especially clothes!

I feel so make up'd out. I had a great time shopping for my Midsummer Nights & Summerswap buddies but I have no wants for myself. I'm still sitting on $100+ in BB points plus a $60+ sephora store voucher and like, zero wants.

Well, all my wants are sitting at Crate and Barel anyway!!
Congrats on the job! And good luck with packing and moving!

Yay for the job!

I've been doing fairly well on the no buy actually. I too have started waiting for online purchases and it definitely takes the impulse away. I had a whole bunch in the Sephora sale section that I wanted and I made myself wait. I found I'm more excited about the price change than the actual product how silly is that?

I have too much....I have too much..... I have too much lol

Wow, so many exciting things happening! @ congrats!

I'm currently in the process of making a list of/categorizing all of my eyeshadows by color (including all of the shades in my Coastal Scents 252 Palette) and I have so many colors! >_<

The 252 Palette is really impressing me so far - I've been swatching most of the colors so I get the best sense of how to categorize them and I'm really excited to play with this palette more. The different indie collections/themes and sales are still trying to suck me in though. I still haven't made my Shiro order yet. For next month, I'm hoping that my only purchases will be a Coastal Scents order (if they have a sale for brushes or 5g jars so I can put all of my indie samples in) and maybe an Aromaleigh order (for samples of the Brilliant Deductions set). And then I really need to just stop... like really :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

7 moar daaaayyssss!!!!!!!!!

and only 6 more days of my current june challenge items. surprisingly, I love a bunch of the items. I will be posting my review of my items at the end of the month. 

You can do it guys! 

I've done awesome this month, beauty product wise, and haven't spent a dime (outside of my subs).  I've done "ok" on other things, but could have been better.  I bought those books earlier in the month, then bought a cheap tripod.  I don't really need a tripod, but have found myself in situations where it would have been handy to have.  It was only $25 and works perfectly for my purposes.  I also bought a lounge chair for the deck, because I pulled out my old one and the plastic just crumbled.  It was about 6 years old and I didn't baby it, but it's reading-on-the-deck time and I need a chair.  The chair and a drink holder came to $50, so not bad.

In other news, I sold some makeup recently and have finalized what clothes I'm sending back.  They just need to be boxed up and sent off.  And I promptly skipped my Julep box without thinking about it.  

June's been decent to me.  I've been shopping my stash and I think that's been the most fun.  I bought so much stuff at one time that I forgot that I had so many awesome goodies to play with!

I'm doing really well. I moved from Michigan to Los Angeles last week so almost all my makeup is boxed up and I'm just working out of  a medium sized makeup case. I only have 5 eyeshadows at my disposal etc. Work from just the things in my bag is forcing me to be creative which is kind of cool.

I'm doing really well. I moved from Michigan to Los Angeles last week so almost all my makeup is boxed up and I'm just working out of  a medium sized makeup case. I only have 5 eyeshadows at my disposal etc. Work from just the things in my bag is forcing me to be creative which is kind of cool.
woop! love hearing this. That's basically the point of picking out makeup baskets for me. Totally forces me to get creative and also to appreciate the items I already have for what they CAN do. It's also making me get actually BETTER at application and making things work for me in various ways. (eyeshadow as shadow and highlighter, bronzer also as eyeshadow, lipstick can be blush in a pinch, or cream blush can be a lip tint in a pinch, etc)

Well I had my allowed one day shopping trip at Sephora....which turned into me also going to Ulta, MAC, and Nordstrom Rack. I did go over my budget though. I'm trying to justify it all which most I can...I think

I bought the Urban Decay Electric palette which was for not buying any makeup last month and making the Dean's list

I also bought a Marc Jacobs gel lipstick. Marc Jacobs is the end all be all of fashion designers for me. All of my Marc Jacobs purchases are justified. Its a law.

At MAC I bought a studio fix powder. They didn't have my shade (NC15) so I ended up getting C2. I kind of wish I waited to purchase it online instead to get my shade even though they are close. I also bought a Proenza Schouler lipstick. I am actually studying to be a fashion designer so I needed at least one thing from the collection.

I also got the Lorac Mint Edition from Nordstrom Rack but the guy I'm seeing bought it for me. I got myself a Stila eyeshadow on sale for $5....bargain!

I also bought a NYX yellow eyeshadow....because I don't own a yellow one weirdly enough

Anyways, I am set on makeup for awhile. I binged and now it's time to go back to the realworld of saving money!

Back