Lacquerous - High End Nail Polish Subscription Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish there were a sub that had a mixture of what I consider "normal" nail polishes, not super high end so the cost wouldn't be out of this world. Something that included stuff like China Glaze, Misa, Zoya, Essie, OPI... stuff like that. I would be all over that!

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is a whole lot of nope nope nope for me personally. I do not want to use previously used polish. This isn't like sharing with your sister or kids...
This. I have no problem sharing with family or friends but the thought of sharing the polish with a stranger who may or may not have used it on their toes is a big no in my book. I even have separate bottles that are toes-only lol, I don't want anyone's feet particles~ on my hands.

On one hand, i can see the benefits of smaller polishes... I know we like big sizes and want to feel like we're getting our money's worth, but in the last 6 months, there are probably less than 5 polishes I've worn more than three times. (15 manis all together...)

Renting polish still doesn't seem cost effective though. I really like the idea of high end polish subscription with multiple brands instead of just one, but I'd want to keep them >___> Maybe someone should work on selling salon-brand/high-end decant or sample sizes for polishes. I could get behind that.

When I read the first post I was really intrigued by this company and what they would be doing. Now after seeing the actual info on their service this one isn't making it on my list. I have issues with people using my products, even my step daughter, if she user's it I just give it to her. Because of health issues I have to be extremely cautious not to come into contact with germs and other such nasty things. I know that stuff isn't supposed to grow in nail polish but there is no way I would risk it. People can be quite unethical about how they use a product. That is kinda like people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom
sick.gif
..ugghh  Like the others I would rather pay for one good polish then get second hand stuff that I have no idea where it came from before it got to me.

when you get a manicure at a salon those polishes have been used by others unless you bring your own

Originally Posted by gingerjenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif

when you get a manicure at a salon those polishes have been used by others unless you bring your own
well I know the service better come with a manicurist  that will massage my feet and apply my nail polish like they do at the salon as well because for 18 bucks a month, used nail polish sounds ridiculously unappealing. PASS.

And that is why I don't go to a salon for my nails..I do acrylics myself and when I do my step daughters I have a bag with her buffer, nail files, cuticle pusher, and hand oils. I do not use the same powder or acrylic hardner that I use on my own and she brings her polish over...Germs are a no go here.

Noob here who has never been to a salon for a manicure (I've always done my own) - I always assumed that they used new brushes each time.

I also received an email from Lacquerous regarding their polish sharing program. It looked appealing to me, but when I started reading the fine details, I became a little concerned. The "sharing" part really concerns me. What if you pay your $18 and end up receiving a 1/4 full bottle of polish that's thick and unusable? As far as bacteria, fungus, or other microbes not being able to grow in polish, I don't support that study (whatever company did the study) at all. Bacteria lives all around us. Different types of bacteria can grow in ANY condition. I bet if I were to take a used bottle of polish and run a microbiology test, some bacteria would be present. Although, this said bacteria may not necessarily cause harm. When I worked as a nail tech for 12 years, I separated the nail polish from the toenail polish. Anytime I SUSPECTED nail fungus, the base coat, nail polish color, AND top coat got tossed (even if it was brand new)! Fungus is so easy to get BUT hard to rid of. Lastly, I just don't think Lacquerous thought this through enough. Maybe, if they went back to the drawing board, they could turn this around. Just my $.02

This is true. When I used to have my nails done there I had frequent infections too. Once I started doing my own I have never had an infection since.

This just sounds all around gross. I use polishes at the salon and never have had a problem, but I've starting bringing my own. This just sounds like a disaster in the making. Do you have to sign a waiver that says you won't sue if you get a nasty infection? It just seems like a really bad idea. 

why not just depot the nail polish into little sample nail polish bottles and send three at a time that way?

weirdddddd

ewww!! when I started reading I thought I'd give it a go (we all did I think), but the whole sharing thing, no way! ew ew ew! that sounds like a really bad idea!!

This seems like a strange service. Whether or not our concerns are founded, our concerns are going to be super common, so it may be a difficult business to sustain. I agree with earlier posts--I would love if the higher-end polishes came in minis. I change my polish all the time anyway, so minis are actually more practical for me unless it's base coat or top coat. Many of the 'indie' polish makers offer minis, and I am drawn to those that do.

Not to mention the fact that selling used nail polish is actually illegal!  I don't think the FDA cares whether you're "renting" it or flat-out buying it.  I have a feeling that this venture is extremely short-lived.

Where'd  you see that? The FDA regulates the ingredients but  I didn't see anything about sales.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not to mention the fact that selling used nail polish is actually illegal!  I don't think the FDA cares whether you're "renting" it or flat-out buying it.  I have a feeling that this venture is extremely short-lived.

I hadn't heard of this service until seeing this thread, but now I'm seeing it being mentioned on a lot of blogs. It was even on the BB blog. I just don't like the idea at all. Nail salons are often not even as safe as they can claim, but there's no way to really regulate how clean people are being in their own homes. Decants of NEW bottles, I might be able to get on board for (although I'd rather stick with Julep or a service like that), but no way will I share used bottles with people I don't know. I don't even let my friends use my polishes, but ugh... just yuck. All it's going to take is one person with a super bad experience writing all about it and more people will come out with concerns. They really need to rethink what they're doing. Although, maybe the announcement of their company will bring out more people voicing concerns and they'll change some things around.

Where'd  you see that? The FDA regulates the ingredients but  I didn't see anything about sales.
That's what eBay told me when they shut down one of my auctions for Liquid Euphoria nail polish last year.

I'm with you SleepyKat, I love minis. I'd rather try out a mini so that I know if I even like it...I've gone on to buy full size in most of the minis I've purchased from indie polish makers. When I first read about this service I wondered how they were going to let us sample the polishes. I was thinking more along the lines of a very liberal return policy, where they send out the full size NEW polish, we try it, and then buy it if you liked it at a discounted price. If you don't like it you send back but pay some kind of restock fee? They could then sell all the returned polishes for a lower price, but with buyer beware. At least then the polish would have just one previous owner/user. They would break even on that polish from the restock fee + the discount sale price. The only way a business model like this would work is if they got authentic polishes for very low prices AND sold them to the members at very high prices. But we all know that these very high end polishes will never sell for cheap, even in very large bulk purchases. I'm a big polish trader but only trade on this site and a Facebook group. I guess I'm taking my chances in using a polish someone else has used but at least the risk is lowered a bit because we all get to "know" each other plus we have feedback available to check someone out prior to trading.

Back