Lacquerous - High End Nail Polish Subscription Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this one will fizzle out. Maybe an okay sub for consumers who aren't as experienced like some of our members, but I just don't see longevity with this. I imagine many, like myself, would prefer to just buy the polishes outright, rather than rent with major penalties possible. Besides, for the consumers who'd rather go to a salon, they continue to do so because they like the services of having someone do their nails while they pay and sit back, relax, and walk out with a mani/pedi.

An interesting NYT article was retweeted by Lacquerous earlier and definitely worth reading. After reading it, I'm glad I unsubbed from their list.

Sanitation isn't really the issue here since bacteria and fungi cannot survive in nail polish. I'm sure everyone owns a drugstore/salon brand polish that's been swatched by at least one curious shopper. No one's gotten any infections thus far. You're much more likely (as in, it's actually possible) to get an infection from a salon tech's shoddy sanitary habits.

I just think it's a tacky idea. Also, the amount of idiots that will inevitably thin these polishes with acetone is more than enough of a reason to avoid this like the plague.

Sanitation isn't really the issue here since bacteria and fungi cannot survive in nail polish. I'm sure everyone owns a drugstore/salon brand polish that's been swatched by at least one curious shopper. No one's gotten any infections thus far. You're much more likely (as in, it's actually possible) to get an infection from a salon tech's shoddy sanitary habits. I just think it's a tacky idea. Also, the amount of idiots that will inevitably thin these polishes with acetone is more than enough of a reason to avoid this like the plague.
Ding ding ding this is why I would avoid. I don't care about potential infections, I share with lots of people because I like doing nails, but tbh I would totally snitch some if there was a polish I seriously loved and it would be simple to refill the bottle, anybody with any collection of nail supplies would. Their discretionary abilities to decide what "one use" is and tack the amount of polish you use seems like a trap too.

Zadi begs to differ heavily in an earlier post. And how do you know no one has ever gotten an infection from someone swatching?

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sanitation isn't really the issue here since bacteria and fungi cannot survive in nail polish. I'm sure everyone owns a drugstore/salon brand polish that's been swatched by at least one curious shopper. No one's gotten any infections thus far. You're much more likely (as in, it's actually possible) to get an infection from a salon tech's shoddy sanitary habits.

I just think it's a tacky idea. Also, the amount of idiots that will inevitably thin these polishes with acetone is more than enough of a reason to avoid this like the plague.

Just to clarify what I posted about that... it was 20 years ago when that happened and polish formulations have changed HOWEVER the industry standards remains the same - you do NOT work on clients with infections even if the tools can be sanitized; it is ILLEGAL to work on a client with an infection. In my mind despite the changes in formulations I have it in my head not to use nail polish others have used because it's possible for bacteria to live in polish. Keep in mind that it's been PROVEN by SCIENCE that bacteria CAN LIVE in the most HOSTILE environments; bacteria and viruses mutate - often times for the far, far worse - so WHY take the risk? Most people don't believe that nail polish can become contaminated and under normal circumstances they're right however it still IS POSSIBLE for polish to become contaminated just as it's possible for polish to "spoil".

Yes, I participate in nail polish swaps however I'm trusting that the person who sent the polish didn't have an infection and normally I choose from the swaps polishes that haven't been used (when possible).

I would NEVER use a service like Lacquerous because there is the inherent risk of getting a polish that is contaminated and it's a risk I'm personally not willing to take.

Do you have any legitimate, peer-reviewed sources on that? Google isn't always your best friend. It's virtually impossible for any microbe to survive in such hostile chemicals. That's science. We may just have to agree to disagree on that, though.

It just seems like such a silly thing to be concerned about. There are so many other things from which you're more likely to pick up pathogens.

Do you have any legitimate, peer-reviewed sources on that? Google isn't always your best friend. It's virtually impossible for any microbe to survive in such hostile chemicals. That's science. We may just have to agree to disagree on that, though. It just seems like such a silly thing to be concerned about. There are so many other things from which you're more likely to pick up pathogens.
I mean no disrespect but i study biology and organisms can live in the harshest of chemicals there are even organisms that undergo photosynthesis using ammonia and not water. You'd be amazed at where bacteria can live. And even if it isn't live in the polish bottle it can revive once exposed to air

Well from one biologist to another, you'd have to agree that there have been no studies conducted that have shown known microbes being able to survive in nail polish. I've conducted a few experiments (nothing major, of course, just enough for a few research projects) on this subject, and I've spent a ton of time searching for journal articles that even suggest this. Nada. I'm not saying there are no microbe in existence that couldn't. I'm just saying that it's virtually impossible.

T

Well from one biologist to another, you'd have to agree that there have been no studies conducted that have shown known microbes being able to survive in nail polish. I've conducted a few experiments (nothing major, of course, just enough for a few research projects) on this subject, and I've spent a ton of time searching for journal articles that even suggest this. Nada. I'm not saying there are no microbe in existence that couldn't. I'm just saying that it's virtually impossible.
I have not personally tested it. It is possible for bacteria to not be able to live but also the same amount of possibility that it can and with so many varying factors such as types of bacteria or fungi it would be hard to test with definitive answers. But since the possibility remains, it's not good to chance it.

They don't even deny it in the NYT article posted above. The one woman from the company says that bacteria can't live long, which is still disgusting to me regardless. They just keep referencing how people would share at a salon. If I go to a salon, I want someone to do my nails for me.

Originally Posted by bbbrandnewww /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They just keep referencing how people would share at a salon. If I go to a salon, I want someone to do my nails for me.
The thing is about polishes at salons is that it's not used on a customer who has an infection so when people reference polishes used in salons they don't take into consideration that the laws prohibit salons working on clients with infections that can be transmitted to other people. The law prohibits salons from working on clients with any type of visible infection and must disinfect the customer's nails. Here's the law in my state:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=308-20-110   (e) Licensees must not work on clients with visible parasites, open wounds, or signs of infection.

In regards to polishes, the law in my state also states that products must be dispensed in a manner to prevent contamination. Yes many salons don't do this but they're breaking the law by not doing so. It's easier for some to use it straight from the bottle but it's against the law in my state.

(a) All chemical substances, including paraffin wax must be dispensed from containers in a manner to prevent contamination of the unused portion.

As I mentioned before (did I? I don't recall if I did post it or not), I was taught to use a dappen dish to pour a small amount of polish to use on a client. By using a dappen dish the main bottle of polish never comes in contact with the customer and while some people think it may cause waste it really doesn't if a tiny amount it poured and if more is needed then just pour a little more into the dappen dish. Dappen dishes are CHEAP to pros - about 90 cents each at Sally's Beauty supply. I know some might think that salons can use plastic palette wells but because it's plastic it tends to warp with acetone so glass dappen dishes are best and yes there's more work because it has to be cleaned out of any polish residue then disinfected but a GOOD nail tech will do that. Maybe I was taught differently because I was taught by a very strict instructor and others just don't live up to what the laws require because it's takes time and effort.

The laws in my state are strict and if people at salons don't follow the laws then they're either lazy or weren't taught properly.

(e) Nail files, cosmetic make-up sponges, buffer blocks, sanding bands, toe separators or sleeves, orangewood sticks, and disposable nail bits which have not been approved for disinfection and reuse, must be given to the client or discarded after service on each client. Presence of these articles in the work area will be prima facie evidence of reuse.

Yeah, the salons in IL that I've come in contact with (I actually dislike those places because I don't believe they actually do what they are supposed to. beside the point, though) use the polish straight from the bottle. They do give you the foamflops, nail file, toe separators, and whatever else though. If I do go to the salon, I usually bring my own polish since it's usually for a special occaision anyways.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but, what if the polish was used by someone who smokes?

Originally Posted by libedon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but, what if the polish was used by someone who smokes?
Maybe I'm missing something as I'm not a smoker, but what would the significance be? 

I'm just wondering if carcinogens from them could stay on the nail and potentially get in the polish. It would be like a chef at a restaurant going out for a smoke and not washing their hands before preparing the next meal.

I'm just wondering if carcinogens from them could stay on the nail and potentially get in the polish. It would be like a chef at a restaurant going out for a smoke and not washing their hands before preparing the next meal.
I think I would be more concerned with feces and urine from someone who doesn't wash after using the bathroom. There are so many levels of nastiness this brings. I started bringing my own polish to the salon about a year ago after realizing just how gross the polish could possibly be.

I don't go to nail salons anymore, but I used to go a lot. I have never seen any nail tech NOT use polish straight from the bottle. I would have been so impressed if I had seen them use the dappen dish. I've only been to one salon where they had drawers and plastic bags to keep each regular client's personal tools, like buffer blocks and such, separate and labeled with the client's name. Granted, I only ever went to cheap salons, except for the one where I had my nails done for my wedding. Anyway, this type of sub sounds like an idea with merit that seems to fall flat when you start thinking of practicality.

Originally Posted by libedon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious???!  It seems smokers are the last acceptable group to hate on.  There are a gazillion potentially carcinogenic substances floating around in the air...I HIGHLY doubt the miniscule amount that MIGHT be on a smoker's fingernails will cause any health-related problems.  I probably Purell and wash my hands more than most non-smokers.  I work with doctors and nurses all day, every day, and not one of them even knows I smoke.   I happen to support someone who swears she is deathly allergic to cigarette smoke.  Guess what, she's FINE and has never had a reaction to shaking my hand or being around me.  Jeez!

Originally Posted by olayinkafab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Removed
I have nothing against this potential sub but the site still has the godaddy owner logins on the page. They are not ready to launch at all. As we have seen so many new subs fail lately I would definitely recommend waiting to see how things go before offer up credit card info or money.

Latest posts

Back