Lacquerous - High End Nail Polish Subscription Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I saw this via ILoveNailPolish on Facebook. It looks like they send you 3 polishes, you try them for a maximum of 3 manicures, and you send them back. Then they go to the next person. You can then purchase the colors in their shop. I'm not sure this is the same one I saw, but a "Rent a Polish" service sounds like a big scam to me. Could this whole Lacquerous thing be a scam or a joke? Wouldn't the FDA stomp their a$$es for renting/re-using nail polish?
If it's a scam then Time magazine is helping them. http://style.time.com/2012/11/13/bottle-it-up-lacquerous-a-netflix-for-nail-polish/ Frankly it's WAY too dangerous of a service between them charging the CC/DC anytime they want if they feel you used too much to the potential dangers of the polish becoming contaminated and of course that credit check which can potentially damage a person's credit score.
Wow. I would've thought Time Magazine would check stuff out before they promote it. I guess they didn't look close at Lacquerous. Tue more I see posted on this thread, the more it looks like the people who run Lacquerous are uninformed, unprepared, and unprofessional.

Even if you are ok with the sanitary issues, there really isn't anything to stop someone from decanting and refilling with a dupe, or thinning it out, etc.  A lot of people might not even notice, and when someone does, would they just blame a random person who had the polish and charge them?  What about thickening over time?

Originally Posted by gingerjenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif

when you get a manicure at a salon those polishes have been used by others unless you bring your own
Ya, but the people at the salon look at the people who they use them on and are held by law to keep everything sterile and sanitary.

A random person in their house does not abide by those rules.

I would never sign up for that in a million years. Gross gross gross. 

Originally Posted by CaliMel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by gingerjenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif

when you get a manicure at a salon those polishes have been used by others unless you bring your own
Ya, but the people at the salon look at the people who they use them on and are held by law to keep everything sterile and sanitary.

A random person in their house does not abide by those rules.

I would never sign up for that in a million years. Gross gross gross. 

This is very true. Most states law revolving around sanitation is that if a person has an infection then the salon/tech cannot work on the person. They are legally bound to reject the client. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is very true. Most states law revolving around sanitation is that if a person has an infection then the salon/tech cannot work on the person. They are legally bound to reject the client. 
Ya, but how many of them actually do that?? Especially the Asian "chain" salons. I finally found a good one that I think is sanitary, but a lot of those places care more about churning people in and out than caring whether or not someone has fungus on them. They'd rather make the $40 than care about following the rules. We all know people break laws. I'm not trying to defend this service because I think it's disgusting, but I wouldn't put salons on such a high pedestal as if they can do no wrong. 

Originally Posted by parisnicole1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ya, but how many of them actually do that?? Especially the Asian "chain" salons. I finally found a good one that I think is sanitary, but a lot of those places care more about churning people in and out than caring whether or not someone has fungus on them. They'd rather make the $40 than care about following the rules. We all know people break laws. I'm not trying to defend this service because I think it's disgusting, but I wouldn't put salons on such a high pedestal as if they can do no wrong. 

If you see a salon or tech not following proper sanitation procedures PLEASE turn them into your state's Dept of Cosmetology. Most states DoCs are so limited on the amount of inspectors that they depend more on clients complaints to have a reason to drop into a salon for inspection. Some are actually unlicensed or who fail to renew their license. Take Julep in Bellevue, WA for example - it's unlicensed to be open but they're open and the DoC won't shut them down until they get a complaint to have a reason to go investigate.

Just lovely to know that's going on in my area. Not. It only underlines a major reason why I don't use salons.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you see a salon or tech not following proper sanitation procedures PLEASE turn them into your state's Dept of Cosmetology. Most states DoCs are so limited on the amount of inspectors that they depend more on clients complaints to have a reason to drop into a salon for inspection. Some are actually unlicensed or who fail to renew their license. Take Julep in Bellevue, WA for example - it's unlicensed to be open but they're open and the DoC won't shut them down until they get a complaint to have a reason to go investigate.
Julep really? wow!

Yup. You can verify it yourself. I always tell people to verify.

Look up a business or professional license (Washington Department of Cosmetology) then Search business and professional licenses.

I did speak to one of the investigators at the Dept of Cosmetology about it and she told me that delinquent means that they do not have a current license and should NOT be open until they have renewed their license. IF the license is NOT renewed by March 8, 2013 the license will be CANCELLED. If they renew now they WILL be fined a LATE FEE which is $50 for a total of $160. The YEARLY fee salon license is $110.

Julep is a multi-million dollar company, I don't get why they don't just pay the $110 (now $160) to be legal. Then again the Bellevue salon is also the salon with a F rating with the BBB.

It seems more nail polish companies are addressing the subject. Deborah Lippmann tweeted about it: "Youre all askng, so Im just gonna say. Nail Polish rental sounds unsanitary at best. If it hasnt been WTIH YOU you dont know WHERE ITS BEEN."

So no license for that location at all? Wow. I'm just shocked that a multimillion dollar company would do something illegal like operating without a salon license.

I have no idea if they are operating without a license, but they have been there at least a year so I assume they would be listed.

I looked and no license at all for Gig Harbor. According to the people at the Dept of Cosmetology the license MUST correspond to the actual location. While Julep does have several licenses listed - one cancelled, one delinquent the remaining ones correspond to the Seattle location and not Gig Harbor.

Latest posts

Back