Last Names! Hot or Not?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought I would never take my future husband´s name, I think hyphenating (learned a new word here lol) is a great idea. I was the biggest feminist for years, thinking why is it us women who have to give up their name?

So more than likely I will take my fiance´s last name. My last name ends with the letters "tsch", and since I plan to move to the US that´s gonna be a pain in the ass to always spell it out for people and have them pronounce it wrong.

His last name is Buckingham btw. Yup, I know...most people think it´s a joke when I tell them, but it´s not.

I think I might still hyphante though, I kinda understand the issue about loosing part of your identity. My whole name would be really complicated that way though

I don't think you should automatically change your name when you marry because it's your name BUT I would because I hate my name big time.

It sucks! Every time we got a new teacher at school I had to go through the embarrassment of them reading out the register and pronouncing my last name wrong and everyone giggling. That sort of thing is very traumatic for a kid
tongue.gif

And about silly names I know someone who was called Tracey Smith and got married and is now (no joke) Tracey Stracey. I wouldn't change my name in that situation!

I am going to change my name (hopefully just a few years until wedding day with him) in sign of respect and that I am now his wife, his family
smile.gif

I never considered it being the other way.

Yup I am old fashioned and like it that way
good2.gif

PS. Well maybe... Marylin Monroe? In that case, I would probably stick to my name or make him use mine :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But luckily we have usual names
biggrin.gif

I had a friend who married a MacDonald and refused to take his name because its so ridiculously common here, and i think id be the same. I wouldnt mind chainging my name, but not to something common. Mine is so unheard of here,which i like so i could go to somthing like MacDonal, Gallant, Gaudet and i could go on and on here hahahha. ( no offense to anyone with these names hah)

I don't know, I've never really thought about it LOL!

I really like my last name, but I think I would take my husbands last name.

Tracey Stracey. that's a good one.

I did meet a woman who took her husband's name and ended up as Rose Rose! Anyway it is a tough decision, either way.

mmmm this is a tough one for me. I have one of those hard to say names even in spanish so in english no one has ever been able to pronounce it right, I have to spell it every time!! so for unofficial stuff I adopted an easier first name and use my husbands last name, still have to spell my own name in many other occasions but is a start. I like my new name and I think I'll change officially, plus the baby has his last name and I didn't give her mine, why complicate the poor child's life.

i would change mine, unless it wouldn't sound good with my first name, or if i already have a reputation in my work with my current last name, lol. i'll deal with it when the situation comes up.

i'm not sure he's an international artist, but i carry the same last name as a french singer, Alain Souchon. which is by the way not his real name, he took it as his artist name, pff. but as a kid i used to be joked around, like i was his daughter or his niece, people even asking me for autographs. and when i say my name on the phone, and have to spell it, you bet someone will say "like the singer?". although it's been a while since nobody made that joke, maybe something in my eyes tells them not to go that way, lol.

I'd probably change mines unless it was something that really didn't sound right with my first name. I've never really thought of changing your name as losing your identity. It would take quite a bit of getting used to, that's for sure but at the end of the day, it's just a name. It doesn't take anything away from who you are.

My own last name is nothing special or unusual. I don't love it but I've never disliked it. It just kind of is what it is.

I really don't mind my last name at all. I would probably consider getting it hyphenated or something because I think it would be kind of odd to have it suddenly changed.

This reminds me of my boyfriend's sister. Her name is Britney and she went on a couple dates with a guy who's last name was Whitney. Her mom goes "Britney, this isn't going to work out. You can't date him. If you two get married your name will be BRITNEY WHITNEY." lol

haha, can you imagine? honestly these names would be so awkward. And what if he was hurt that you wouldn't take his name? oy already!

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif haha, can you imagine? honestly these names would be so awkward. And what if he was hurt that you wouldn't take his name? oy already! I don't think that would be a good argument on his part. Why wouldn't I ALSO be hurt because he won't take MY name? If he would try pulling that on me I'd come back with the same question. "Why is it that you're offended I don't want to take your name, yet don't you think I'm offended that you don't want mine?"

I seriously didn't want to change my last name totally, I only wanted it hypenated. Alas, John said if I didn't change my last name, there would be no marriage LOL!

I cannot think of a single last name, short of my maiden name, that sounds good. And now, I get both my first AND last names butchered!

Don't forget, these days it's not uncommon for the husband to take the wife's last name either
smile.gif

If it helps, here are actual names of people I went to school with...

Harry Parent... No idea how he can fix that one

Dorkus Corney... Yes, I promise you that's her name... Wow!

John went to school with a boy named Timothy Otto... He was called Tim Otto... Kinda like "you say tomato, I say tah-mato."

I am quite happy with my name, i love how my name sounded after i got married and took my husband's name haha.

Here's some i found on a website just for fun Rosie, LOL

Quote:
Unfortunate Last NamesI've always thought my last name was pretty bad. And I mean that in the literal sense. 'Boese' means 'bad' (or angry) in German. But its meaning wouldn't matter much if only English-speaking people could pronounce it (it's 'burr-za', as if it had an 'r' in it... not 'boose'). But I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself, because this guy in Brazil, Mr. Reinhardt Adolfo F*ck, has me beat hands down. As far as I can tell, that really is his name. He must get endless jokes about it.

Posted By: Alex | Date: Thu May 20, 2004 | Permalink | Total Comments: 633

Category: Identity/Imposters

Comments

Listed in chronological order. Newest comments at the end.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggest real estate agent in Conway, Arkansas was named D*ck Longing. Alas, the company passed to his son, who changed the name to something not funny.

Posted by bobo on Sun Dec 12, 2004 at 07:34 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Georgia Tech the new engineering/science building is named after Dr. Ernskine Love and his wife Gay. That's right, she was named Gay Love. The building was named the Love Building but it would have been better/funnier if it were named the Gay Love Building.

Posted by Brian on Mon Dec 13, 2004 at 06:25 PM

one of my college proffesors name was Harry Lhongesta D*ck he siad it was asian or something

Posted by bobby in usa on Tue Dec 14, 2004 at 02:36 PM

Another Ripley's name: Harry H. Beaver. He was some guy named on a plaque in my church in VA, which always caused screachy laughs from the immature Sunday school kids. And myself.

Posted by Teddy on Wed Dec 15, 2004 at 06:22 PM

AsianAthlete.com: Athlete Display

There's a Steve Suk that plays hockey for the Macon Whoopie, some Georgia amateur team.

Posted by sanford on Wed Dec 15, 2004 at 06:35 PM

If I'm such a jock why am I so strapped?

Posted by Pierre in Washington, DC on Sat Dec 18, 2004 at 10:34 AM

I knew this girl when I was growing up that was named Tammy Turnipseed. I've also come across a Gugi Oygster, Kimberly Wimberly, Ian Frankenstein, and James rides at the door.

Posted by Khatarooski in Sunny California on Mon Dec 20, 2004 at 04:19 AM

The Urologist that did my vasectomy several years ago was Dr. D*ck Chop.

Posted by Robert in Austin Tx on Thu Dec 30, 2004 at 12:55 PM

I was driving through Maine with a friend years ago and saw a sign that said "D*ck Swett for Mayor". We laughed all the way to Vermont.

Also, a girlfriend of mine very briefly dated a man name Mike Quatsch - as her friends, we were pretty much compelled to ask her the name of who she was dating, everytime we saw her. All comedy, all the time.

Quote:
Here in New Zealand, I work for a large company that has many people with odd names. The two I know personal are an American engineer named Al Christ, who married a local girl called Helen. Think upon that name change.
Then again, down south we have a senior operations manager named Portly Griffith. How appropo the name is I cannot vouch for.

Posted by D F Stuckey in Auckland, New Zealand on Thu Dec 30, 2004 at 05:32 PM

I remember there was an older woman in my hometown (NRW, germany) and her name was Frau Kaakschiess - which means Poo-shit. I dont know if shes still alive or has any relatives who kept the name. My dad once told me that she wanted people to pronounce her name in a different way, so that it sounds more adequate.

btw. marco bode is a german football player

now bring on some more cool names
wink.gif

Posted by roland in germany on Mon Jan 03, 2005 at 07:04 PM

In reply to Jules Sep,19 2004. There was a story going around that my father's first wife was called Lettuce. I went to a funeral a few months ago and walking around the creamatorium while having a smoke (oops no pun intended) I found my father' plaque and right next to it LETTUCE PEARCE RIP 1937.

Posted by Peter Pearce in Sydney, Australia on Mon Jan 03, 2005 at 07:47 PM

No joke - although it sounds like one:

While we were at Bible College in Saskatchewan, Canada, there was a teacher named Mr. Dyck (pronounced as if it were a part of male anatomy). His daughter, Jennifer, married a young man with the last name of Harder.

It was listed in our paper and our college newsletter as the "Dyck-Harder" and "Harder-Dyck" wedding, respectively.

Posted by Maureen in Idaho on Tue Jan 04, 2005 at 03:59 PM

I was watching the news once and there was this lady talking and the caption under her said her name was India D*ck. I was laughing so hard I was rolling on the floor, that was the best newscast ever!

Posted by kurtis on Tue Jan 11, 2005 at 10:58 PM

Knew a kid growing up whose last name was Guzzler. Unfortunatley, he joined the Navy. For 2 years his rank was "Seaman." Don't think he enjoyed his time at sea.

Posted by Mac in Geaorgia on Wed Jan 12, 2005 at 05:01 PM

I used to work retail, and one of our regular customers was Harry Heine (pronounced hairy hiney).... he really was a butt.

Posted by BrookeLyn in FL on Thu Feb 03, 2005 at 10:00 AM

there was loads of people i my school with hilarious names such as Ima D*ck,Ben Dover, D*ck Banucha, Mary Iza Focker and there was a german proffeser called Mr Clit Focker

Posted by gillian fae scotland in scotland on Thu Feb 03, 2005 at 10:43 AM

"I used to work retail, and one of our regular customers was Harry Heine (pronounced hairy hiney).... he really was a butt.

Posted by BrookeLyn on Thu Feb 03, 2005 at 10:00 AM" ... I don't get it. Was it a drug store? Did you sell butt stuff? I'm confused

Posted by Hairy Houdini on Thu Feb 03, 2005 at 11:22 AM

Reading through the Caterpillar library list of available technical papers, I noticed a publication authored by Amad Fukker.

Posted by Gene Dentino in East Peoria Illinois on Sat Feb 12, 2005 at 10:28 PM

A square dance caller in Wisconsin has the name Clayton Pidgeon. Thus: Clay Pidgeon

Posted by Gene in East Peoria Illinois on Sat Feb 12, 2005 at 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow, I'm surprised so many people feel like they'd lose their identity by changing last names! You're still the same person! Your last name doesn't change who you are as a person or what you've worked for! I'm confident in who I am regardless of what people call me, and I certainly wish everyone felt that way! I completely agree. When I got married, my husband didn't care at all whether I took his last name or not. I did take his last name which didn't matter to me, it just took me awhile to learn my new signature lol and get used to saying my new name. I kinda wished i'd hyphenated my maiden name but then my name would be insanely long. Plus i wouldn't want to pass that name to my son whose name is already 22 letters long in total.

When I got married, I added my husband's last name to my own. I didn't hypenate but I didn't drop any of my names because to me marriage is about inclusion of family not separation from family. Even though I officially have four names (first, middle, maiden, and marital), I just go by my middle name (which I've always used) and my last name. I would love to give our children both of our last names but I'll have to wait and see...four names does seem like a lot to start out with.

My last name starts w/ TINA, which is annoying when people ask my last name and I start spelling it... then they're like "Your last name..." like I'm the stupid one.

And I still have my maiden name, I figured it'd be easier for now since I have to renew my license this year to do it all at once, but I think I'll wait a little longer, at least til we have kids.

His is actually not that common. But it's easier to say.

My last name would have been palmer had I changed it when I got married. It wasn't a bad name and sounded good, but I never got around to changing it. Good thing, since I am now divorced!

I won't have a problem with changing my last name...I don't have any attachment to mine since I don't have much contact with my father and his family. I think it would take me a while to get used to the name change though, just like it takes me a few months to get used to writing the new year down
biggrin.gif

Back