Little Lace Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a real person who chose to post the very real email I received from LLB. Liz Cadman from MSA was cc'd on that email I received from LLB and has chosen to not review LLB anymore. I'm a lawyer in Hawaii. Anyone can google to find that out. I in no way have any affiliation with subscription boxes. I was just a customer sharing my very unfortunate experience. Please be careful calling people a "TROLL."
I agree your comment.  I would also say, that I've seen on other chatboards and social media sites, that people who are associated with a company shoot down any negative complaints by using ad hominem attacks against those who made complaints. 

Hey all!  Now seems like a good time to revisit MUT rules #1 and #2...Be polite, no personal attacks, etc. 

https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/page/articles.html/post/support/terms-of-service

Let's try to be respectful of the fact that there are legitimate MUT members who experienced this issue AND that there are other MUT members who aren't cancelling and want to continue to be excited about the box. 

Hey all!  Now seems like a good time to revisit MUT rules #1 and #2...Be polite, no personal attacks, etc. 

https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/page/articles.html/post/support/terms-of-service

Let's try to be respectful of the fact that there are legitimate MUT members who experienced this issue AND that there are other MUT members who aren't cancelling and want to continue to be excited about the box. 
THANK YOU!!!
AMEN!

You guys, I received my blackberry balsamic today, and I will be receiving my gallery wrapped canvas tomorrow!  I have to say I really love having an extra item that's not in the box, because it just kinda extends the box. Also, I'm starting to get really curious/excited about this mysterious "May Surprise".  

AMEN!

You guys, I received my blackberry balsamic today, and I will be receiving my gallery wrapped canvas tomorrow! I have to say I really love having an extra item that's not in the box, because it just kinda extends the box. Also, I'm starting to get really curious/excited about this mysterious "May Surprise".
I am there with ya. I would LOOOOVE to know what the May surprise is. I hope they tell us soon. It's my birthday the end of the month, and it's always fun to have an extra surprise. Also, I made a delicious salad using the Strawberry balsamic this weekend, soooo good.

The problem with the LLB fiasco is that they have treated some people with extreme disrespect.  If anyone doubts how small the world is, I went to Bryn Mawr College, a very, very small college and I run into fellow graduates all the time and in the most amazing places.  It reminds me how small the world is and it seems to me that LLB has completely forgotten that.  I have a friend who was being a jerk in the DMV line and out of the other car stepped a judge that my friend (we are both attorneys) had several cases before.  Always better to be respectful!!!!

The problem with the LLB fiasco is that they have treated some people with extreme disrespect. If anyone doubts how small the world is, I went to Bryn Mawr College, a very, very small college and I run into fellow graduates all the time and in the most amazing places. It reminds me how small the world is and it seems to me that LLB has completely forgotten that. I have a friend who was being a jerk in the DMV line and out of the other car stepped a judge that my friend (we are both attorneys) had several cases before. Always better to be respectful!!!!
@@mellibot, In the weirdest coincidence, I went to Bryn Mawr!!!! Graduated 2000. Did you write this because we know each other, or is this TRULY proof how small the world is?!!!
*edited to say I saw your other post, hi there! Crazy we went to school together! And no, LLB has not reached out to me or addressed this in any way. I wish they would. If they do, I will definitely let you all know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just chiming in, late to the party, to say I was one of those unceremoniously dropped by LLB. I loved the sub box and their products and even ordered from their store a few times. I supported them even though I had a weird stalker-like moment when I first subscribed where they tracked me down from a comment I made on MSA about when my sub would begin. I hadn't provided the email address they used to reach me as part of my subscription; I use it only for forum posting, so I knew how they found me. It felt odd (and quite confrontational in tone, especially given that it came from a brand new business to a newly paying customer, and was sent from a non-business/personal email account) but I didn't respond and just let it go. I sang their praises many times going so far as to say LLB was my all time favorite sub. I also offered what I considered to be fair critique on a very few occasions, primarily in discussions others were having about the lack of professionalism they've exhibited. Since you're required to use your email address anytime you post on MSA, it allows sub box reps to eventually track down commenters, by using the person's profile (so while MSA may not give out your info anyone can get it). Just FYI. And since company reps can and do often pop up and comment on various reviews and comments, it's best to know that ahead of time so you can be prepared for the occasional backlash should you ever voice a complaint about a business. I had once responded to another commenter who was complaining about getting a nasty email and said that I actually didn't think it was bad but that I did find it unusual that they over shared a bit at times, in terms of what shipping costs, how delays happen, personal issues that affected the sub beyond curation, etc, but that was it. Within hours all subscribers received a snarky email titled "let's overshare!" I've been around the block more than a few times and have been a practicing attorney for almost 15 years, so I know the use of that word was no coincidence.

My take has been and will continue to be that they had a great concept and were for the most part doing a great job with curation, quality, timely delivery and even with timely communication. But they greatly need to mature, personally and professionally. The "mean girl" vibe comes across clearly as just plain petty. In the end they've managed to turn off more than a few potential and even existing subscribers with these unprofessional antics so while it may be their right to cancel a subscription, it's not the smartest business plan if it's done in an effort to silence any criticism because it hurts their feelings; that's shortsighted to say the least and doesn't leave a great impression on those not even directly affected by cancellations. This is business, not the sorority house. I definitely know the difference having spent time in both. I subscribed to a business; I didn't rush a sorority.

Finally, their choice to be passive aggressive and not bother to notify subscribers they were being cancelled was to me the final proof of an absence of professionalism. I like coming here to discuss subs because I don't feel a need to censor myself for fear of company backlash and personal attacks. The fact that any subscriber has to worry they'll be summarily voted off the proverbial subscription island for sharing an honest opinion about a product or service is pretty appalling in and of itself (there were many comments that people feared being dropped because they shared less than glowing feedback on MSA). I've also learned to better censor myself on MSA since I know that was the basis of me being dropped (and even that was a stretch to rationalize, even after I went back and re-read my previous comments, which were mostly rave reviews at that) I had never even so much as exchanged emails with them so MSA comments had to be their only basis for dropping me. Then again I received no formal notice that I WAS dropped but for not receiving a box (the way most of us found out we were cancelled; I haven't heard a word from LLB since receiving my Mar box). It all feels so childish that it's hard to believe we're even talking about a legitimate business. I'm sad that they chose to handle things the way they did/are doing because I really enjoyed my subscription. But I don't enjoy being treated badly, by anyone. Ever.

ETA - I got the feeling that the mass customer dumping was partly intended to somehow enhance the perception of the sub's exclusivity. As in "even if we do let you sub, you're not guaranteed to stay because we can kick you out of our club whenever we like for any reason." It sounds absurd but it's not that uncommon of a mentality-at least it isn't among my 14 year old daughter's demographic. Never have I seen a client/business "break up" with customers en masse, for any reason short of bankruptcy forcing them to close up shop. If you're Walmart or another multi billion dollar conglomerate, you can afford to arbitrarily refuse customers' business but to my knowledge even they try to resolve customer service issues with a modicum of respect and professionalism. I'm not aware of any start up that feels so secure as to be empowered to not only reject paying customers but to go a step further and send unsolicited, obnoxious, insulting, borderline harassing emails to those they cancelled. After reading some of the emails others received since I originally posted, I was honestly stunned. And that's coming from a longtime prosecutor and part time judge.

@@mellibot, In the weirdest coincidence, I went to Bryn Mawr!!!! Graduated 2000. Did you write this because we know each other, or is this TRULY proof how small the world is?!!!

*edited to say I saw your other post, hi there! Crazy we went to school together! And no, LLB has not reached out to me or addressed this in any way. I wish they would. If they do, I will definitely let you all know!
Nope, honest to goodness proof that the world is a tiny place!  What's even more interesting is that (1) I graduated in 2002 so we were there at the same time and (2) 2000 is the first year I stayed in Bryn Mawr for the summer so I actually worked your graduation handing out programs!  And, seriously, my judge story is honest to goodness true as well.  LLB could very well be "wiping" people THEY went to college with (or former colleagues, long lost friends, etc.) off on their "shoes."  Terrible.

....same here, different year. Oh Bryn Mawr!  :wizard:

....same here, different year. Oh Bryn Mawr!  :wizard:
Unbelievable!!!!!!!  The world is a small, small place.  Anassa kata ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@Fashion Diva, thank you for your insightful, exceptionally well-written analysis.  I feel like I understand the entire situation -- and why it's so disturbing -- so much better.  You must be one excellent part-time judge.  But I always feel like the prosecutors have a way about cutting to the chase.

Just chiming in, late to the party, to say I was one of those unceremoniously dropped by LLB. I loved the sub box and their products and even ordered from their store a few times. I supported them even though I had a weird stalker-like moment when I first subscribed where they tracked me down from a comment I made on MSA about when my sub would begin. I hadn't provided the email address they used to reach me as part of my subscription; I use it only for forum posting, so I knew how they found me. It felt odd (and quite confrontational in tone, especially given that it came from a brand new business to a newly paying customer, and was sent from a non-business/personal email account) but I didn't respond and just let it go. I sang their praises many times going so far as to say LLB was my all time favorite sub. I also offered what I considered to be fair critique on a very few occasions, primarily in discussions others were having about the lack of professionalism they've exhibited. Since you're required to use your email address anytime you post on MSA, it allows sub box reps to eventually track down commenters, by using the person's profile (so while MSA may not give out your info anyone can get it). Just FYI. And since company reps can and do often pop up and comment on various reviews and comments, it's best to know that ahead of time so you can be prepared for the occasional backlash should you ever voice a complaint about a business. I had once responded to another commenter who was complaining about getting a nasty email and said that I actually didn't think it was bad but that I did find it unusual that they over shared a bit at times, in terms of what shipping costs, how delays happen, personal issues that affected the sub beyond curation, etc, but that was it. Within hours all subscribers received a snarky email titled "let's overshare!" I've been around the block more than a few times and have been a practicing attorney for almost 15 years, so I know the use of that word was no coincidence.
I agree with EVERYTHING you said, but I'm concerned about companies being able to track me down through MSA. Can they do it through the swap part of the site or spme other way? I try to be very careful about what information is available about me. Can you explain it a little bit? Feel free to pm me if that 's better for you.

I am there with ya. I would LOOOOVE to know what the May surprise is. I hope they tell us soon. It's my birthday the end of the month, and it's always fun to have an extra surprise. Also, I made a delicious salad using the Strawberry balsamic this weekend, soooo good.
is there another surprise? I just thought our choice of a full size bottle of the oil or vinegar was probably it.

AMEN!

You guys, I received my blackberry balsamic today, and I will be receiving my gallery wrapped canvas tomorrow! I have to say I really love having an extra item that's not in the box, because it just kinda extends the box. Also, I'm starting to get really curious/excited about this mysterious "May Surprise".
Could you post a picture of your canvas? I would like to see how it turned out. Oooh! I should have ordered the blackberry, sounds so good!

I agree with EVERYTHING you said, but I'm concerned about companies being able to track me down through MSA. Can they do it through the swap part of the site or spme other way? I try to be very careful about what information is available about me. Can you explain it a little bit? Feel free to pm me if that 's better for you.
As someone else explained it to me a while back, they can somehow view your MSA profile info if they're logged in themselves. Some forum members also link their personal blogs or other social media accounts to their MSA profile which can include email addresses, but the majority don't that I've seen. How they get to specific MSA profile info I'm not sure (I'm far from being an IT whiz) but I do know they successfully cross referenced posting IDs from comments and MSA email addresses and eventually connected them to subscriber accounts. Another possibility is using context clues to narrow down potential identities. For example, if I just subscribed to LLB and shared that fact on MSA not long afterward, they could piece together that I, new subscriber x am also MSA user Y. That's a reverse engineering possibility and a plausible one at that, even more likely to be successful if used in conjunction with confirmatory profile info. When I was contacted by LLB via email regarding a comment I made on MSA (just wondering when my first box would ship), they contacted me within minutes of my comment using an email address associated only with MSA (not my personal/subscriber email address). Given that I don't use my real name as my posting ID and the email they used to reach me I only use on MSA/blogs, the most likely source of that information was my MSA account. I had accidentally created 2 MSA profiles by logging in using FB after I had already established an account via traditional user name/password, having forgotten that my FB account is linked to my personal email address. With access to my MSA profile info they eventually connected my MSA email with my subscriber email and determined/confirmed my identity. I know all of this sounds crazy cloak and dagger/James Bond-ish. I'm amazed that any business would dedicate such time and effort to tracking down MSA commenters for the purpose of punishing those who share opinions by canceling their subscriptions. Either they have significantly more manpower than it seems and are dedicating them to being sub box bounty hunters or this kind of detective work is someone's personal obsession. Regardless which, both scenarios are disturbing given the purely business context involved.

Unbelievable!!!!!!!  The world is a small, small place.  Anassa kata ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@Fashion Diva, thank you for your insightful, exceptionally well-written analysis.  I feel like I understand the entire situation -- and why it's so disturbing -- so much better.  You must be one excellent part-time judge.  But I always feel like the prosecutors have a way about cutting to the chase.
Thank you for the compliment. I'm always happy to share experiences if I think it can offer some clarity in a given situation. After a career spent in litigation, I have to agree with your assessment of prosecutors. I have explained a few times in the past that as defense counsel my job was to convince jurors that the sounds of hoof beats they heard were made by a zebra; as a prosecutor it was my job to remind the same people that when hearing hoof beats in downtown Chicago, it's most likely a horse, not a zebra.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm always happy to share experiences if I think it can offer some clarity in a given situation. After a career spent in litigation, I have to agree with your assessment of prosecutors. I have explained a few times in the past that as defense counsel my job was to convince jurors that the sounds of hoof beats they heard were made by a zebra; as a prosecutor it was my job to remind the same people that when hearing hoof beats in downtown Chicago, it's most likely a horse, not a zebra.
I have no idea if that is a true story, but your way of describing it makes it sound like way more fun of a job then I pictured courtroom law as!

I received my full size bottle of olive oil yesterday.  I have a question.  The bottle had leaked, enough to get the plastic wet and leak through the box.  I thought for sure the bottle would be broken when I took the seal off, but it wasn't.  

I am wondering if I can still use the olive oil.  I recently heard (on Shark Tank, lol) that olive oil spoils if not well sealed.

Did anyone else have this issue?  Thanks in advance! 

I should update that I received my olive oil selection with no problems. My sister also received her birthday gifts.

On a lighter note I am curious about the May surprise although I won't be receiving it. I always enjoyed their curation.

Back