Long hair haters

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have NEVER had a positive experience in a black salon. The stylists would poke fun at people with natural hair, if you've had your hair relaxed but you weren't "blessed with good hair anyway", etc. Every single time, my hair would get jacked up! I now go to Dominican salons only, and alot of the sisters out there have been following suit in droves. They may not always speak English, but they know a trim is a trim, not three inches, not six inches. They love to work with long hair, and they love to help you get long hair. And get this, they don't use any harsh chemicals! Hispanics have hair ranging of ALL types so if you walk in, they know how to work with it. They are VERY inexpensive. You could walk in with a bird's nest on your head and come out with glossy, conditioned, sleek hair swinging everywhere!! Sisters everywhere, find a local Dominican Salon and GO!

They have helped me to maintain my long (track-free) hair. I highly recommend it!!

DCFN0015a.jpg

Originally Posted by NoxiousByProxy I have NEVER had a positive experience in a black salon. The stylists would poke fun at people with natural hair, if you've had your hair relaxed but you weren't "blessed with good hair anyway", etc. Every single time, my hair would get jacked up! I now go to Dominican salons only, and alot of the sisters out there have been following suit in droves. They may not always speak English, but they know a trim is a trim, not three inches, not six inches. They love to work with long hair, and they love to help you get long hair. And get this, they don't use any harsh chemicals! Hispanics have hair ranging of ALL types so if you walk in, they know how to work with it. They are VERY inexpensive. You could walk in with a bird's nest on your head and come out with glossy, conditioned, sleek hair swinging everywhere!! Sisters everywhere, find a local Dominican Salon and GO!
They have helped me to maintain my long (track-free) hair. I highly recommend it!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../DCFN0015a.jpg

i agree! i used to go to a dominican salon and they do hair really well and can deal with any types of hair. not expensive neither.

when i had long hair to my ass, i always trimmed them myself. i was scared coz i always have had bad parlor days.

Noxious you've got some great looking hair girl!

I live in such a constipated area that we don't have any black or dominican salons. Heck our Wal-Mart just started carrying black hair care products this past year.

Originally Posted by NoxiousByProxy I have NEVER had a positive experience in a black salon. The stylists would poke fun at people with natural hair, if you've had your hair relaxed but you weren't "blessed with good hair anyway", etc. Every single time, my hair would get jacked up! I now go to Dominican salons only, and alot of the sisters out there have been following suit in droves. They may not always speak English, but they know a trim is a trim, not three inches, not six inches. They love to work with long hair, and they love to help you get long hair. And get this, they don't use any harsh chemicals! Hispanics have hair ranging of ALL types so if you walk in, they know how to work with it. They are VERY inexpensive. You could walk in with a bird's nest on your head and come out with glossy, conditioned, sleek hair swinging everywhere!! Sisters everywhere, find a local Dominican Salon and GO!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../DCFN0015a.jpg

oh my gosh . i have really thick and curly hair and when my curls were longer the hairstylists would make fun of me all the time. they would tell me i need to get a relaxer and just make rude comments. one time they skipped me and didnt even do my hair. i started to cry. it was horrible. its ironic that u brought that up.

This is interesting thread yet so true, the 'good' stylists are few and far between, I would love to visit a Dominican hair salon and get my hair done but here in London we mostly have a Columbian/Ecuadorian community instead of people from the DR.

Originally Posted by Angie I HAD hair down to my ass. It's always been hard to find someone to trim it because they will ALWAYS cut of 4+ inches. I guess they figure you have plenty :-/ In Jan, I went for a trim...told her repeatedly..ONLY take the bare minimum! By the time I left, she had taken about 8 inches....and Im NOT kidding. So...I was looking for somewhere else to go, a friend told me about her place. I went there, told her to whole story and of course, she was "appalled" She did a nice job. Went back for a second trim...SAME DAMN THING, took about 3 inches! I am seriously sick to death of it! I don't know who these stylists think they are that it's THEIR decision how we should wear our hair. Are they so damned money hungry that they have to have everyone with short hair so they have to get trimmed every 2-3 weeks? I've only met 3 people who trimmed what was necessary....2 moved and one I have personal issues with.Im currently where I have spent most of my life...seeking a new hairstylist. :-(

oh wow... that's horrible!
pedro.gif
I hate when some stylists give others a bad name because they don't LISTEN to clients. There were times when clients wanted something that really wouldn't work w/ their lifestyle or hair texture/length... but you can come up with some sort of solution. A longer layer here, a blunter edge there... But a TRIM!?!?
kopfkratz.gif
That's crazy... lol I hope you find someone out there that will help you...

people think you're crazy when you say things like this, but they are very, very true! i haven't been to a salon in more than 2 years, and i never plan to go back. every time i do something bad happens and i know it ain't no accident! ladies be careful because the haters are everywhere!

been there, done that myself. I used to get my hair done by a close friend until she said "Whose the stylist here? me or you?" thats all it took for me to go to someone else. I finally found someone who cuts just what I ask.

ughhh! that happened to me last year! I went to get a trim and what started off as my hair almost bra strap ended up BARELY touching my shoulders. Because of .. "dead ends" and she was so called trying to "salvage what was left of my hair" BULL****!!!
mad.gif
frown.gif
Since then i am the ONLY one to touch my hair.To this day i get all teary eyed thinking about it. My hair has grown quite a bit since i've been taking care of it myself but it hasnt gone back to where it was before yet.
frown.gif
... I promised myself that if i cant make it grow then no one will. Im not going to pay someone to hate and purposely mess up my hair. Then again i should have listened to my mom... she said the worst thing you can do sometimes is have a female cuttin your hair. Find the nearest MALE stylest and let him do it. Their more trust worthy.

edit if you wanna see my hair now its in my profile... the picture cuts some of it out though.

wow, you know that's happened to my mom. and if i go to get my hair trimmed i show them how much i want taken off and make sure they understand what i mean. i'm trying to let my hair grow longer. the back i like but would love for it to be a few inches longer. it's a little past my bra strap that fastens in the back. but my sides are layered some.

if you have severly damaged hair, yeah, the only way to get rid of the dead ends is to cut them off. BUT, you can cut of 1/4" -1/2" at a time... and as hair grows, keep cutting the same amount. Your hair will stay the same length for awhile... but its better than chopping all at once if you don't want to.

The really foul part is that my hair wasnt damaged!
frown.gif
to me it was perfectly fine and healthy.I just needed a trim to get rid of the stragley ends.

Originally Posted by saramy been there, done that myself. I used to get my hair done by a close friend until she said "Whose the stylist here? me or you?" thats all it took for me to go to someone else. I finally found someone who cuts just what I ask. Stylists can get pretty annoyed when you speak up about your own hair, and I agree male stylists are brilliant when it comes to cutting hair.

Wow, that is just terrible. I have never experienced anything like that. Whenever my hair is long I always get compliments from stylists. Usually, I go to the hairdressers to get all my hair chopped off. I love change when it comes to my hair. Whenever I tell them that I want it short, they always saying something like, 'why do you want to do that for? You have such nice hair...' I guess its different here in Australia or something. I've always had really good experiences with salons.

I'm not african american, nor have i ever been to any predominantly black salons, but I used to have hip length hair and yeah i experienced this long hair hating thing. Its horrible, cos i was always nervous enough about gettin my hair cut, I just feel like a lot of the time they are eager to point out whats wrong with your hair, even yelling it across the salon like someone else said, eg, 'your hairs in good condition, IF IT WASN'T FOR THESES SPLIT ENDS!!!' or 'your scalps a bit dry, WANT SOME ANTI-DANDRUFF SHAMPOO?'
frown.gif

But thankfully i found a wonderful hairdresser who's very complimetary and always does it just how I ask lol
laughing.gif

I love male hairstylists! they're awesome
smile.gif

But I did find this one female hairdresser who does a lot of long curly hair, she's a sweetheart! I used to have hair down to my butt with curls (so longer when you pulled it) I was growing it out till prom.. then i went to get the split ends cut off just before prom and she cut off a lot more than i had expected.. but my hair still looked good on prom day.. i let my mommy do it for me
smile.gif

Now it's back to it's long length (mabey a tad shorter than before, but i like this length better) and i have the perfect hairdresser
smile.gif
omg i'm blabbing aren't i, lol

Weird, I used to have hair down to my waist when I was in high school (though it did look kind of frayed and thin at the ends), and down to my bra strap through most of college (at this length it was thick and healthy)... but I never experienced any of the stuff in this article!

However, one time after I had cut my hair shorter (above the shoulder), I went to a stylist who I think was jealous of my thick hair! Every stylist I go to tells me "Wow, you have a lot of hair!" but this girl kept telling me it was TOO thick and thinned it out a ton even though I didn't ask her to! (And no other stylist has even offered to thin out my hair before, everyone else thinks it looks great thick!) She also cut it a lot shorter than I asked, and I ended up looking like a boy with so little hair! And this was 6 months before my wedding!
icon_eek.gif
Fortunately, it grew out enough by my wedding that I was still able to have the hairstyle I wanted!
smile.gif

However, I think that stylist was also jealous I was getting married, because after she saw my ring she immediately asked me how much it cost (hello! none of your business!) and then went on a long rant about her ex! lol

Wow, that's terrible! I usually have long hair in the winter and shorter hair in the summer but I haven't had any long hair haters around me. I love my hairstylist. He always compliments me on my hair and cuts it exactly the way I want. I also go to another hairstylist who works for him (who's female) and she's great too. She does exactly what I want.

Back