Long hair haters

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can't believe people would actually treat girls with long hair differently. i'm sure it's true and it's too bad, and if it happenes to you just know that it's because they're insecure and are jealous of your beautiful hair!

I can't believe there are hairdressers out there that would do this...
frown.gif
Actually a lot of the ones out here adore long hair... I even knew of a few that almost refused to cut it and have someone else do it (also not very good business practise, but better than jealousy) because they couldn't bear to chop off so much ... A good stylist will offer suggestions, but ultimately do what the client wants. That is how you build clientele, and a reputable hairdresser should know this. You get a new client in your chair and you make her miserable by chopping off 8" when she only wants 2", and you can kiss any future $ from her goodbye. Plus she can tell her friends about her ordeal, who in turn tell their friends, etc. and before you know it you're shampooing for a dollar tip. Dumb move.
frown.gif
Grrr.

I agree with the girls who said to go to a male hairdresser, if possible. They won't "hate" on you, cuz you got it goin' on or anything. The top stylists in salons (the most expensive) are ususally guys. IMO, they do a much better job of actually STYLING your hair instead of a boring-ass cut and blowdry. It's a shame that girls gotta be trying to tear each other down instead of lifting each other up, just so they can feel better.

Yeah people can be really rude, thats why i dont go to the salon as much. too much bs.

i believe what all u girls have said. nothing suprises me anymore. some people are just

plain jerks. its just a sad part of life

It happens frequently but you have to look at the quality of the salon you're visiting. SOME ethnic people still associate hair length with your status as a "sista'" or a "sister". But that's a topic that is never resolved so I move on...

There are usually signs if that salon (and it's stylists) are professionals...meaning if they are staring at your hair as if they've never encountered long hair before, there's a problem! Seriously!

I learned many, many years ago that if the salon does not have hair consultations prior to the appointment, I won't go. It only takes 10-minutes but the consulatation will give you a feel overall before your appointment.

It's a shame with all that IS important in the world, folks can't get pass hair! Hair doesn't make you more beautiful, richer or smarter...it's just hair!!!

I think there are stylists like this in a lot places no matter if its in an african american salon or any other salon. It's sad that they do that
frown.gif

omg!! .. this is soooo true ... i used to have hair down to my pant pockets
biggrin.gif
and i went in for a trim .. looked @ the mirror, blinked a couple of times ... and wondered y my hair was now bra length
icon_scratch.gif
sometimes though .. .it's not necessarily that ppl who work in salon hate your lenght .. it's that they keep messing up .. .and have to keep cutting more and more ....

okie ... so my hair was bra length .. went to a different hair stylist to get it trimmed (cuz of split ends)and layered ... wow!! .. let me tell u .. i walked out of that salon went hair that was shoulder length .. i ended up having to wear it flipped out everyday .. and w/my fat face .. that did not look good...

finally found a good stylist ... and her family moves ... so now ... i'm in search of a new stylist yet again :sigh:

god that is just plain awful! You see, I am caucasian- and I do know how women of color can be very catty with one another over the long hair thing. I had friends with long hair in high school I found myself defending verbally at times.

"It ain't real," they would snicker and say. thats bad enough but I had no idea that it extended to the salon of all places, where we are supposed to be dealing with ~ahem~ professionals!! How rude of those stylists!

I would say to the women who are the target of these insults..."hey they are just jealous that you have your hair looking nice, it is not you who has a problem, the people making nasty comments have the problem."

When possible I do love to see a woman of color with her hair in a more natural style...if she looks great with one and has it done well. I have read a little bit of "activist" literature written by peoples of color (surprise, surprise) and they seem to think that all of the pressing and long-hair weaving are sociological reactions to thinking that natural hair is not good looking hair. Don't know how to feel about that, I can find beauty in any kind of hair and don't see why the people who wrote those books think that women who press or pemr their hair are hopeless victims to mass brainwashing. hell, maybe they just like the way their hair looks a little bit straighter. We can blame society all we want or we can just chalk it up to individual prefrences.

I think that it is all about an individual woman's comfort in what she feels looks best as well as what flatters her face the best...for example I would love to have worry free shorter hair, but I know from experience that it looks awful on me.

I have seen Tyra Banks with both natural hair (like cornrows or other styles, braids, etc) and with straight hair but she is one of those rare women who has natural beauty no matter what. Not all of us, any skinshade, can be like...Tyra Banks!

I hate the word nappy, it is so ugly and rude. I will never ever use that word it is so hateful. How dare one person say something like that to no less than a Nubian Goddess in a hairstylist's chair before her?

Just ignore it, I would say.

That was interesting and thought provoking. I am sure there are plenty of nice hairdressers out there. hell, if I were in your shoes, I would complain to a manager about a particulary nasty hairdresser or just plain change salons. Money is green everywhere and if someone someplace wants to be rude when you get your hair fixed, just walk you and your money out the door!

peace and respect

mela

Originally Posted by melpaganlibran god that is just plain awful! You see, I am caucasian- and I do know how women of color can be very catty with one another over the long hair thing. I had friends with long hair in high school I found myself defending verbally at times.
"It ain't real," they would snicker and say. thats bad enough but I had no idea that it extended to the salon of all places, where we are supposed to be dealing with ~ahem~ professionals!! How rude of those stylists!

I would say to the women who are the target of these insults..."hey they are just jealous that you have your hair looking nice, it is not you who has a problem, the people making nasty comments have the problem."

When possible I do love to see a woman of color with her hair in a more natural style...if she looks great with one and has it done well. I have read a little bit of "activist" literature written by peoples of color (surprise, surprise) and they seem to think that all of the pressing and long-hair weaving are sociological reactions to thinking that natural hair is not good looking hair. Don't know how to feel about that, I can find beauty in any kind of hair and don't see why the people who wrote those books think that women who press or pemr their hair are hopeless victims to mass brainwashing. hell, maybe they just like the way their hair looks a little bit straighter. We can blame society all we want or we can just chalk it up to individual prefrences.

I think that it is all about an individual woman's comfort in what she feels looks best as well as what flatters her face the best...for example I would love to have worry free shorter hair, but I know from experience that it looks awful on me.

I have seen Tyra Banks with both natural hair (like cornrows or other styles, braids, etc) and with straight hair but she is one of those rare women who has natural beauty no matter what. Not all of us, any skinshade, can be like...Tyra Banks!

I hate the word nappy, it is so ugly and rude. I will never ever use that word it is so hateful. How dare one person say something like that to no less than a Nubian Goddess in a hairstylist's chair before her?

Just ignore it, I would say.

That was interesting and thought provoking. I am sure there are plenty of nice hairdressers out there. hell, if I were in your shoes, I would complain to a manager about a particulary nasty hairdresser or just plain change salons. Money is green everywhere and if someone someplace wants to be rude when you get your hair fixed, just walk you and your money out the door!

peace and respect

mela

True Dat, Mela!
Although, in the Af. American community, those institutionalized ideas run so deep. Those ideas were handed down since the days of slavery. And of course, the U.S. is very good about exporting all their "ish" to all corners of the globe... now African women have forgetten what it means to beautify their natural hair and they run to get perms to make it "good". It's so sad. Black women spend up to TEN TIMES ON AVERAGE what any other woman would spend on their hair because so many are chasing the dream of having "good" long hair. A lot of them walk around with scraggly ends to retain whatever length they have on their hair. And if you are a black girl growing up in a predominantly white suburb, the psychological effect is exponentially compounded. I was a girl in that situation, and even when I relaxed my hair, it still wasn't good enough for most of those folks. Thank God I found my Black soul at university and stopped chemically killing my hair. That was my motivating factor for going to a Dominican salon. Now, it's the best it has ever looked... and without chemicals too!!!
rockwoot.gif

I agree with everyone's saying but in regards to the good hair bad hair thing, 9 times out of 10 it's another black person that will bring it up, infact in general white people seem to be much more open and accepting of our varying textures then we are ourselves!

Wow, I am learning a lot in this thread.... At first I thought we were talking about girls of any race hating long hair, I didn't realize this was a little different issue for some ethnicities!

This is soooooooooooooo true and about the mexican myth well they say your not to let people touch your hair because if there jealous and they touch it,your hair will fall and be a mess.I have long hair I dyed my hair almost blond and its thick but I try to take care of it.But most people are haters and they tell me your hair is so so so so thin,your hair is so so so so damaged and all these rude comments even that it doesn't look like my real hair they think its fake.My hair is not damaged,thin,or fake but people can be rude.To bad dont have picture in my profile to show you guys.

Originally Posted by Denicelpz This is soooooooooooooo true and about the mexican myth well they say your not to let people touch your hair because if there jealous and they touch it,your hair will fall and be a mess.I have long hair I dyed my hair almost blond and its thick but I try to take care of it.But most people are haters and they tell me your hair is so so so so thin,your hair is so so so so damaged and all these rude comments even that it doesn't look like my real hair they think its fake.My hair is not damaged,thin,or fake but people can be rude.To bad dont have picture in my profile to show you guys. wow there's a myth of that? that's interesting =o i never knew, i wonder if there's one like that with chinese culture :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The one thing most people, whether ethnic or not, doesn't realize is that the texture or length of your hair has nothing to do with your loyalty or disloyalty to your race! Just as all AA does not have kinky/natural hair, all caucasians does not have straight hair.

Our races are so blended, sometimes you can't classify a race at all! So the hair thing can't be generalized into a nutshell...

I know, I know - off topic!

Hairstylists who don't understand 3inches vs. 10inches are the reason I avoid going to 'salons'. I let my husband trim my hair because I trust him to NOT cut off so much. He also likes my long hair and wouldn't want it cut short.

The man doesn't have a cosmetologist license but he sure does a better job of cutting my hair and listening.

I've always had long hair... It's great, but also a pain... It takes a lot of work to keep it looking healthy (especially when you've got thick, curly, frizzy hair that has been fried by too much processing -- I'm still bitter, can you tell?). People who are always saying, "oh, how pretty, such long hair..." usually haven't an idea of how much time it takes to keep it looking good... or to simply get it looking right so you can go to work in the morning.

Truly, every time I go for a cut, no matter how great a condition I think my hair is in (which it was before this terrible dye incident), all the stylists recommend chopping it off. And even in the midst of discussing how I only want a trim, only want a couple inches off, they still insist on cutting double what I ask or more. Definite hair envy if you ask me. Why can't we get what we pay for? At one point I got so sick of it that I started cutting my hair myself!

Back