Lumiere's shipping costs and MMU companies' responsibility for lost items

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havfe had no problems with the shipping and shipping rates from lumiere yet.

Last december they had free international shipping,i think that was great. Anyway,i think their international shipping fee is very nice...

rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by Leylani /img/forum/go_quote.gif I havfe had no problems with the shipping and shipping rates from lumiere yet.Last december they had free international shipping,i think that was great. Anyway,i think their international shipping fee is very nice...

rockwoot.gif

As I've stated before, I don't consider it to be "free" shipping if the shipping option they give you for free is the least safe one that can get your package lost. Plus, it's deceptive because as a customer we all have a tendency to "jump" on anything with free shipping, without reading the fine print that says "whatever happens to the package is not my fault, and if your 80$ order gets lots we don't care".
So those of you who think that you're at such an advantage with their so-called "free shipping", think again. There are other companies that ask a reasonable amount for shipping, but at least you know that you will get what you've ordered without any headaches.

Originally Posted by Arielle123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just had to jump in here. Regardless of a company's policies, it's their responsibility to make sure that the package is delievered to the customer (or replace it if it's not). Things do get lost in the mail from time to time and it's not the mmu company's fault, but as was said in the thread, if it's a huge # of packages, then something else is wrong. If they're not willing to fix a package not delivered - by replacing or refunding or whatever, it's time to take it up with the credit card that was used to make the purchase. Always fund your paypal payment with a credit card if paying with paypal. That way you can take it up with the credit card company if needed. You have that protection. The great thing about it is that most companies give you 6 months-1 year to dispute a purchase. I've never had to do so, but it's nice to know that I have the protection. I agree.. I have an order that is dated end of May, and until now still a no-show.. What do you think? i emailed Lumiere and Kathy said i should wait, but im waiting for 5 weeks already.. And other packages/orders placed after Lumiere have arrived. I emailed again and asked for a refund or reship but she said they dont do refund/reship and copy pasted the whole shipping page details to me. I admit i didn't use the express, which cost more than my order, which would be crazy if i do.. It is so disappointing because i have been a longtime customer of Lumiere, back when they are still MHM. You think i should file a dispute or what? BTW, i used a debit card (paypal), would i be able to file for a dispute... I dont want to alienate Lumiere, i love this brand for the wonderful products ( brushes, makeup ) and generally, CS has been wonderful in my experience. Prior to this, all my experiences with Lumiere has been outstanding

please advise me girls, im at loss!

Gosh - that sucks! Kim obviously doesn't mind alienating you which is really sad.

If it were me I would wait a little longer then file for dispute, check how filing for dispute works straightaway though as there may be a cut off date and you don't want to miss it.

This policy of no refund/reship has completely prevented me from ever ordering from Lumiere again. I had made three orders when she brought it in and it has really put me off.

Thank you for the response. Its just so sad, i really just want to have my order.

Originally Posted by dolphino /img/forum/go_quote.gif Gosh - that sucks! Kim obviously doesn't mind alienating you which is really sad.
If it were me I would wait a little longer then file for dispute, check how filing for dispute works straightaway though as there may be a cut off date and you don't want to miss it.

This policy of no refund/reship has completely prevented me from ever ordering from Lumiere again. I had made three orders when she brought it in and it has really put me off.

No no no, she didnt state it that way , it is I who dont want to "cause a ruckus" at Lumiere, all i want is just to have my order.But thanks for the sympathy. I really appreciate it

*sigh*

Originally Posted by rhumbafrapp /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree.. I have an order that is dated end of May, and until now still a no-show.. What do you think? i emailed Lumiere and Kathy said i should wait, but im waiting for 5 weeks already.. And other packages/orders placed after Lumiere have arrived. I emailed again and asked for a refund or reship but she said they dont do refund/reship and copy pasted the whole shipping page details to me. I admit i didn't use the express, which cost more than my order, which would be crazy if i do.. It is so disappointing because i have been a longtime customer of Lumiere, back when they are still MHM. You think i should file a dispute or what? BTW, i used a debit card (paypal), would i be able to file for a dispute... I dont want to alienate Lumiere, i love this brand for the wonderful products ( brushes, makeup ) and generally, CS has been wonderful in my experience. Prior to this, all my experiences with Lumiere has been outstanding

please advise me girls, im at loss!

I posted before but wanted to reword what I said.It sucks to have the package not show up and them not refund or reship it, but their stated policy is very clear that if you don't pay for USPS Express domestic or international then your order is not guaranteed in any way and they won't refund or reship it. When they first put out this policy I was kind of put off by it too but now that I've had more time to think about it I guess I do understand the point, even though it isn't fun when it's your order that doesn't arrive.
frown.gif
I would assume that if you file a dispute with paypal, they (Lumiere) would dispute it on their end due to their stated policy.

It's a big pity Kim doesn't choose to be discretionary over this - if the customer is long term and obviously not being fraudulent then I would suck it up and resend. I run a business and that kind of goodwill is important.

Of course the dispute may or may not be upheld, but what proof is there that the order was actually shipped and not lost in the shipping process itself at Lumiere, I think that is what a dispute might help to uncover - nobody's perfect.

But mostly I hope you get a happy outcome whatever it is rhumbafrappe
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dolphino /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's a big pity Kim doesn't choose to be discretionary over this - if the customer is long term and obviously not being fraudulent then I would suck it up and resend. I run a business and that kind of goodwill is important.Of course the dispute may or may not be upheld, but what proof is there that the order was actually shipped and not lost in the shipping process itself at Lumiere, I think that is what a dispute might help to uncover - nobody's perfect.

But mostly I hope you get a happy outcome whatever it is rhumbafrappe
smile.gif

Thank you so much for the support, it means much to me. I hate to open a can of worms, but i really dont know what to do.

Quote:
So you are saying that customers should be understanding of companies because what happens after they ship the package then it's beyond their control? When a package is lost, the company still gets to keep the profit that they've made off of my 80$ order. What do I get? NOTHING. Money's gone and you feel cheated because you've been stressing about your order for 2 months. And I'm still the one who should be understanding of them while they get to keep all the money without lifting a finger? I think business is business, but if you want to talk about understanding, how about they show a little understanding of me? <nods head> I agree completely, That's the just the cost of doing business. You have to understand that if you run an online business, these are the risks you take, if you can't afford the risks then... <shrug>
IMO I think that they need to think of the lost profit as advertising costs. It just seems that for whatever reason customers let these MMU businesses get away with this kind of thing much more than say Amazon, or any other large online company. I understand that these MMU companies are usually small businesses, but they are still businesses and we should expect the same level of customer service. This just seems like a another step towards North America's downward spiral into poor customer service, and everyones right to be "entitled."

I would think that for smaller busineses each dollar would count that much more, so good customer servivce should be very important.

Just to add a bit more to the pot... Next time you order from any online company compare their shipping cost to USPS rates, I started doing this and have stopped ordering from companies that either don't list reasonable rates, or aren't willing to compromise. I've emailed several companies with a list of USPS rates asking them why are their rates so much higher? if they aren't willing to compromise or don;t have a good explanation, they simply don't get my money. Here is a link for some pricing "http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-international-prices.htm"

I got an answer, but i find it very rude. Philippines was also taken off from the country option. That i find unfair, it would have been okay ( well not really okay , a package missing is definitely not okay ) if i alone am affected, but to include all Philippines, well that is definitely not okay

Edit: what i meant to say is that, if it is because of me alone that Philippines was taken off the list, that is unfair. Why let others suffer too? I went ahead and filed a dispute. I dont want to compromise if they dont want.

^They took out the Philippines? Aww Joyce, I'm sorry to hear that. If I live there and my favorite MMU company decides not to ship there anymore, I'd be really bummed.

How did this work out? Did you ever file a dispute? I say file the dispute because as I've said before it doesn't matter what the MMU company's policy is because paypal's policy will override it in a dispute and you will win it if they don't have proof of delivery. They can say all they like that they're not responsible for lost packages and won't refund but if you fund with a credit card through paypal you do have the option for a dispute (either through the credit card or paypal) and you will win if the package has not been delivered.

Simple fact is that paypal's policy requires proof of delivery. Just like with ebay, it doesn't matter what the sellers say. They can't make policies that conflict with paypal's and expect them to stick with a dispute.

So that means that you won't be able to buy from Lumiere anymore? But you were able to before? That sucks!

Well, good luck with that - I did agree with the person who posted before saying that it would be nice if they looked at it from the standpoint of - is this a long-term customer we are replacing the package for, or someone who's never placed an order here before? - but I suppose if you write a policy you have to stick to it to some degree, or people will be posting all over forums that Lumiere did this or that for them and it will cause hurt feelings if they don't follow suite for the next person.

I unfortunately do not agree that paypal will necessarily override Lumiere's stated policy and refund you (Kim's been in the business for a while, and I'd guess she thought to check into all that prior to making the policy!) but that's just my opinion and nothing more.

I asked for the shipping/tracking number, of course being FCM, it will not let me know where is my order currently right now, but i will know if it has been sent to the post office right? well i went ahead and checked the tracking number and i found out that there is NO RECORD of the tracking number, i checked my email for messages of previous online orders (other company shipping notice and when i checked them the status is ACCEPTED) . so that made me think twice. I know Kim posted in the lumiere forum that orders placed during May 30 have some glitch, and i placed mine may 31. Maybe it was affected too??

I emailed kim and let her know how i felt,i said i was rudely and unjustly treated, turns out she is on vacation and made me think it is her staff who treated me so rudely.. I mean her staff because when IT wrote the rude message to me, it is signed LUMIERE (didnt give any name)

Kim asked me for a week for her to be able to review and resolve the issue.. I would give her the time and il see what happens next

Aileen: Yes i know its a bummer. A lot of girls have been disappointed they removed Philippines from the list

Arielle 123: yes i was able before, but now they remove Philippines from the list, then i wont be able to anymore.. *Sigh*

My point is that I like to settle this issue amicably,i really hate filing a dispute, if we can work it that is better.

Originally Posted by RoxyJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif <nods head> I agree completely, That's the just the cost of doing business. You have to understand that if you run an online business, these are the risks you take, if you can't afford the risks then... <shrug>
IMO I think that they need to think of the lost profit as advertising costs. It just seems that for whatever reason customers let these MMU businesses get away with this kind of thing much more than say Amazon, or any other large online company. I understand that these MMU companies are usually small businesses, but they are still businesses and we should expect the same level of customer service. This just seems like a another step towards North America's downward spiral into poor customer service, and everyones right to be "entitled."

I would think that for smaller busineses each dollar would count that much more, so good customer servivce should be very important.

Just to add a bit more to the pot... Next time you order from any online company compare their shipping cost to USPS rates, I started doing this and have stopped ordering from companies that either don't list reasonable rates, or aren't willing to compromise. I've emailed several companies with a list of USPS rates asking them why are their rates so much higher? if they aren't willing to compromise or don;t have a good explanation, they simply don't get my money. Here is a link for some pricing "http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-international-prices.htm"

Great tips
laughing.gif

Update:i got my refund. im not interested in the package anymore, if it turns up, il send it back asap. I want to publicly express to Kim that i do appreciate her help ( she is on vacation ) but she still helped me.

However, i think, as my last words ( hopefully ) that owners would take thoughts/questions/posts/cs related posts posted in the forum constructively, dont think it is done to blast them. Thats it.

for all the ladies here who showed support and understanding, many thanks to you

thanks again!

Originally Posted by rhumbafrapp /img/forum/go_quote.gif Update:i got my refund. im not interested in the package anymore, if it turns up, il send it back asap. I want to publicly express to Kim that i do appreciate her help ( she is on vacation ) but she still helped me.
However, i think, as my last words ( hopefully ) that owners would take thoughts/questions/posts/cs related posts posted in the forum constructively, dont think it is done to blast them. Thats it.

for all the ladies here who showed support and understanding, many thanks to you

thanks again!

I am glad that things worked out for you - I think that Kim does the best she can and it is impossible to please everybody. I am glad she was able to resolve things to your satisfaction.So - you can't order from Lumiere anymore now since they took the Philippines out of the delivery options though?

carmonious: yes , we cannot order anymore. But im sure there are lots of countries willing to ship to us, so even though we can't get lumiere, its okay. the MMU world is chock full of companies that are wonderful and willing.thanks again!

Originally Posted by rhumbafrapp /img/forum/go_quote.gif carmonious: yes , we cannot order anymore. But im sure there are lots of countries willing to ship to us, so even though we can't get lumiere, its okay. the MMU world is chock full of companies that are wonderful and willing.thanks again! You're right - there is no shortage of mmu companies to order from (one of my downfalls - LOL.)I think Blusche Minerals has a special shipping option or rate for Philippines since if I recall correctly the owner is from there?

And I heard Aromaleigh is going to start shipping international soon??

Back