May 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay for using up stuff! Deeply, deeply satisfying.

Also, those temperatures are blegh. It is 60 degrees and rainy in Knoxville. 

Don't whinge. Y'all gots better barbecue there. Out here, people say "I'm gonna barbecue" when they REALLY mean "I'm gonna cook out, throw some burgers and weiners on the grill." IT AIN'T BARBECUE IF IT AIN'T SAUCE AND A FIFTY FIVE GALLON DRUM!

(Can you tell I'm a transplanted Southerner?)

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wish it WOULD rain here. It hit 110 today! And it's not even JUNE!
Oh god my summer in Tempe...I will never forget when it got up to like 115 and I was like ehhh 105 or 115, I can't even tell the difference. It's all just too hot. And I'll never forget the first time it "rained" while I was there, which was really barely a sprinkle but omg...what a relief it was. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wish it would stop raining here because I would LOVE to just jump in the pool after I'm done working out. Stupid, stupid rain. 
Indoor pool, hehehe. 

Barbeque here is okay, but it's got NOTHIN' on Texas barbeque! But at least it's not like in the Carolinas. Pulled pork and vinegar...shudder. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't whinge. Y'all gots better barbecue there. Out here, people say "I'm gonna barbecue" when they REALLY mean "I'm gonna cook out, throw some burgers and weiners on the grill." IT AIN'T BARBECUE IF IT AIN'T SAUCE AND A FIFTY FIVE GALLON DRUM!

(Can you tell I'm a transplanted Southerner?)

More for me, then!

And the old man left three hours earlier than anticipated; he's back on the road, I'm up early, and trying REALLY hard not to shop. I have all my hba stuff pulled together, maybe I should finish going through it, like I started to do last week.

Hubbys parents are fom south carolina. They act like dukes bbq is the holy grail. It gave me food poisoning
sick.gif

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Barbeque here is okay, but it's got NOTHIN' on Texas barbeque! But at least it's not like in the Carolinas. Pulled pork and vinegar...shudder. 

I caved on day 6....damn it. I think it started w/ the mystery boxes & then I just had to buy something. I was good all day until about 10 pm & I caved. I got gorgeous du wop eye shadow & a lip brush. The shadow is so gorgeous. I would show but I don't want to mess anyone up. I needed the lip brush, didn't need the shadow.

I am going to set a realistic goal. I'm going to go on a no buy for 2 weeks. I almost made it a week so 2 weeks should be attainable.

Good goal! I was tempted by the Soap Box. I got an email that I had a spot waiting for me, but I successfully resisted! The last thing I need is more soap and bath crap. 

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I caved on day 6....damn it. I think it started w/ the mystery boxes & then I just had to buy something. I was good all day until about 10 pm & I caved. I got gorgeous du wop eye shadow & a lip brush. The shadow is so gorgeous. I would show but I don't want to mess anyone up. I needed the lip brush, didn't need the shadow.

I am going to set a realistic goal. I'm going to go on a no buy for 2 weeks. I almost made it a week so 2 weeks should be attainable.

So I ended up signing up for cravebox. I wasn't going to...I successfully ignored it until yesterday, they emailed me saying they were having a problem charging my credit card so I put one in. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The invite technically expired on Sunday...I'm almost hoping it didn't work.

Being angry makes me want to go out and spend.

CVS is pissing me off right now due to their sheer incompetence. I've filed a formal complaint, and I left a voicemail for my doctor's office to fax the prescriptions to Target. If I have to go to CVS again, I'm going to be talking to the manager. I used to work for CVS (at that location even) and I go to another location every once in a while, so I know they're screwing up. I think I'm more mad because I worked there and it was during the OSCO buyout and super swamped and chaotic and if I had done anything they've been doing, or rather NOT been doing, I would have gotten an earful. In fact, even when I DID do everything I could for one patient, I still got reprimanded and that was the day I quit with no notice. Due to the nature of my prescriptions and insurance, CVS is one of the few pharmacies I can use and I picked them because I can walk there. All my other scripts are at Walgreens. The nurse at my doctor's office told me that that CVS is the worst pharmacy in the world because they never do anything for the patients. That confirmed that I'm not a loony (lol ok, I am, which is why I go to CVS) and that they are terrible.

I should note, I like their store staff. They're very helpful, and seem to have more intelligence and compassion than any of the pharmacy staff.

I will agree with you that the PHARMACY aspect of CVS out here is lacking, severely. I'm fighting off the shopping urge just because our internet keeps going in and out, which usually leads to me leaving the house, which usually leads to...yeah.

It's really changed since I worked there.

I didn't even go into that CVS up until last year because my work experience there pissed me off so much.

And I agree with your stance on the internet.. whenever mine is down I get ants in my pants and that leads to feeling the urge to splurge.

Yup. So far, I've resisted. But I may be at the Rack before too long, let me tell ya. Tethering to my iPhone is NOT conducive to my usual browsing habits.

So again I'm not doing so great on this no buy. I've actually bought a eyeshadow and blush. They weren't even that pricey....but still. They also had mini perfume versions of my current favorite perfume. I couldn't pass it up because the price goes up and I have a hard time finding deals on it majority of the time. So I try to grab them while the price is reduced. I think saying to myself I'm on a NO BUY...makes things seem a little more tempting sometimes....but I have been making it a point to use what I have. The stuff I am buying I know I'm going to use. So at least It's something I like...right?

Originally Posted by greenapril /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So again I'm not doing so great on this no buy. I've actually bought a eyeshadow and blush. They weren't even that pricey....but still. They also had mini perfume versions of my current favorite perfume. I couldn't pass it up because the price goes up and I have a hard time finding deals on it majority of the time. So I try to grab them while the price is reduced. I think saying to myself I'm on a NO BUY...makes things seem a little more tempting sometimes....but I have been making it a point to use what I have. The stuff I am buying I know I'm going to use. So at least It's something I like...right?
I had the same problem, when I went on a no buy, everything tempted me further and I bought MORE. When I decided to go on a low buy and be more conscious of my purchases, my spending dropped drastically. 

I think a low-buy might be good for you. Some of us have found that a no-buy automatically makes everything really tempting and when we broke it and bought something, we went all crazy and bought a ton of stuff. For me, I've found that a no-buy is okay as long as I  have a very specific date that I'll be done with it. I tried doing a project pan and telling myself that I wouldn't buy anything else until I finished it, and guess what? It takes a really, really long time to finish 20 makeup items. And yup, I was crazy and set my goal at 20.

Originally Posted by greenapril /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Still in "low buy" mode, but I could NOT pass up a Revlon glass file and a mini Tweezerman for less than $8 combined. That said, i'm still digging out from under the MOUNTAIN of products I have....an end IS in sight!

I did use up a few things today! A eucalyptus/spearmint body wash, an argan oil shampoo/conditioner, and have been continuing to use up one perfume sample vial per day. Baby steps, right? (And I have learned that argan oil products don't seem to be as miraculous on me as they are on other folks LOL)

Latest posts

Back