Mmu -tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by mgmsrk /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is probably mostly for the pale……….Because mineral makeup is so pigmented it is pretty easy to end up with too much blush on looking like a clown. It’s easy to fix, just take your foundation brush and buff over your cheeks, if this doesn’t work add a touch of foundation to your brush and buff again. This should remove the shocking color. That is a GREAT tip! Considering that different brands and different blends have different pigmentation, sometimes you never know where to start! I've had this happen quite a few times! LOL

I just wanted to show you all what I've been using for storage & mixing.

I found this cute little jewelry accessory organizer @ Micheal's that I've been using for my eye shadow or blush samples ($4.99). Then I found the artist paint palette @ Wal-Mart for $.99 that I use for mixing colors. The storage containers for the finished colors were @ Wal-Mart too ($.79 & $.99) I use a small scoop to retrieve the colors to put on

The only drawback I've found with the organizer is the lids aren't screw on, they fit over the base. I removed one of the pots and put a "place holder" in there, so now they're easier to get out without spilling anything :0)

Originally Posted by Creative_Ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just wanted to show you all what I've been using for storage & mixing.
I found this cute little jewelry accessory organizer @ Micheal's that I've been using for my eye shadow or blush samples ($4.99). Then I found the artist paint palette @ Wal-Mart for $.99 that I use for mixing colors. The storage containers for the finished colors were @ Wal-Mart too ($.79 & $.99) I use a small scoop to retrieve the colors to put on

The only drawback I've found with the organizer is the lids aren't screw on, they fit over the base. I removed one of the pots and put a "place holder" in there, so now they're easier to get out without spilling anything :0)

Those are great, but thought I'd recommend another great kind of purchase from Michael's for e/s samples- that you can actually take along because they don't leak. There are these plastic paint pots that are attached to each other (and lid is connected at back) that work beautifully for small amounts of MMU. (Like the ones you get the paint in from a paint by number kit.) Also, I've found the screw lid stackable pill jars useful for foundation, blush, etc. I found many 7 for $1 at dollar store. They are also useful as a travel alternative.
laughing.gif

My input on tip for MMU application would be... if you want to conceal using mineral foundation use a little visine to mix your foundation powder with. This will make it heavier and help it to last all day long.

What I do for extra coverage and to help minimize pores is mixing a little Mineral foundation with my primer. I currently use the monistat anti-chaffing gel and it turns out really good. I don't know how it'll turn out with other primers. Also, I add little rice powder in the mix because I have very oily skin.

I spritz on Fix+ when I'm done applying my mmu. It eliminates that light, powdery, dry look and makes it look more natural. I have tried applying my mmu wet, but find it gives me an android-y sheen and some streaking.

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif what is Visine? to conceal with? this is an eye drops? or what? Hi simismimi, yes visine is eye drops and there is an ingredient in them that soothes pimples and takes the red color out of pimples so using Visine with mineral concealer to cover a pimple works 2 ways. Also since Visine is safe for the eyes it makes a good liquid to mix with eye shadow and line your eyes.

Originally Posted by newyorlatin /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi simismimi, yes visine is eye drops and there is an ingredient in them that soothes pimples and takes the red color out of pimples so using Visine with mineral concealer to cover a pimple works 2 ways. Also since Visine is safe for the eyes it makes a good liquid to mix with eye shadow and line your eyes. Hi Carly!! thank you so much!are you sure??? visine is good for the pimples??? its so surprised me because its for the eyes.. not for the skin.. no?

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Carly!! thank you so much!are you sure??? visine is good for the pimples??? its so surprised me because its for the eyes.. not for the skin.. no?

Yes it is for the eyes but a key ingredient in it is helpful/soothing to acne. It takes the red out of pimples.

My tip:

Apply a single thin layer of MMU with your favorite brush. Next, take a liquid foundation brush and pat on SMALL amounts of MMU to areas that need extra coverage. This makes a big difference. I always use it this method.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif My tip:
Apply a single thin layer of MMU with your favorite brush. Next, take a liquid foundation brush and pat on SMALL amounts of MMU to areas that need extra coverage. This makes a big difference. I always use it this method.

great tip!I will try this!

I forgot about that visine tip, but I have applied visine to pimples at night and it seemed to help them clear up faster! Who'da thunk? Makes sense though, helping reduce inflammation at any rate.

But I've also been applying concealer with a damp concealer brush and the coverage is much, much better. it applies more like a cream. So I think if you add concealer to a wet medium, it makes it thicker and dabs on better than just using it dry!

the job's Visine is eye drops. when I apply it to my eyes its shrink the blood vessels.

its make the same job with the pimples.

I hope I wrote that in the right way

There are so many great tips here!

I spray my blush brush after picking up the powder and before application and it makes the blush glide on so smoothly ad evenly AND stays on all day.

Was wondering though if anyone has any tips for MMU application on really dry skin?? I find that when i apply MMU it sucks up all the mositure from my skin and makes it really dry and tight. I tried the spray technique but somehow it didnt work and only ended up making the foundation look more cakey and my pores HUGE. Then i tried mixing the MMU with my moituriser and applying it that way but it somehow amplified all the flakes i didn't have prior to applying the MMU - i used Silk Naturals if thats any help >''<

I used to get dry flakey skin on my nose and cheeks that looked worse with mmu. So I've been experimenting. At first I made my own vitamin E face mist (much like the Body Shop one) using rose water, lecithin (to emulsify), glycerine, vitamin E, rosehip oil, panthenol, Optiphen (preservative). It is easy enough- you just use a stick blender and takes mere minutes to produce a fancy product but now I just mix 1 part glyerine to about 9 parts distilled water, add a few drops of whatever essential oil I fancy and spray on my face before and after putting mmu and also as a mixing medium for eyeshadow. Face mist works wonders for keeping my face moisturised and glowy!! I haven't used moisturizer in more than 2 years and my skin has never been this good. For fun, I added a tiny pinch of gold lame mica to the face mist. You could add anything you fancy, really. At nighttimes, I after spritzing my face, I either put shea butter or emu oil or coconut oil before going to bed.

My routine now:

Spray face mist, dust some primer (silk powder, rice powder, serecite mice- whatever I fancy), apply mmu with flat top kabuki, heavy coverage for my freckles on my cheekbones but very, very light dusting on my nose. I think it is so important not to put too much makeup on the nose- it is a tricky area! This means of course that the mmu must be a very close match to the shade of your skin. I tried mixing a tiny dot of monistat antichafing gel (instead of the usual face mist) today with some eyeshadow and I had the best results yet. No creasing or caking whatsoever even after hours and hours. The trick is to pat another layer of dry eyeshadow. I finish off with either a light dusting of finshing powder or another spritz of face mist, depending on the finish I am looking for.

I am absolutely loving my eyelash extensions!!!! No more eyelash curling, no more mascara and hence no more mascara smudges, no more eyeliner. It is the best thing ever! I'm amazed at how much difference some little lashes can do to your eyes.

Other tips:

If not wearing eyelash extensions, try putting some emu oil or coconut oil on the eyelashes before going to bed to condition and to promote thicker, glossier lashes.

Keep the lash line very clean, making sure to remove all traces of makeup before going to sleep. You can use a mixture of baby shampoo and water for this.

Hi Everyone! Ok I finally got the mixing MMU foundation with aloe gel down and I am so excited to share my tips on this because I think a lot of people would probably really like the coverage and smooth texture if they could get away from the blotches and streaks so common of trying this method. I use this method for layer 1 and then layer 2 is applied dry with a kabuki. I don't need a finisher powder since the aloe gel has a mattifying effect.

I actually tried this on a whim and it covered awesome but it was beginners luck because I couldn't figure out how to repeat the process! So for 3 weeks, everyday, I kept trying and trying to get it down and I think I got it so here you go...

Put a dab of aloe gel in the palm of your hand (about the size of a pencil eraser), if you have too much aloe gel you streak and this dries quickly so it's a real pain if you get dried streaks of foundation - I pretty much had to rinse and start over everytime this happened.

Pour about the same amount of foundation you'd use for one layer on your face into your palm. I'm guessing I use about 1/16th tsp.

With your first 2 fingertips, gently swirl the 2 together in your palm, wetting the foundation powder in the gel. You don't want to over mix! That causes the blotches. You just want to make sure the powder is covered by the gel. It will look like little foundation particles floating in gel.

Apply a dab to a part of your face (only do a small section of your face at a time - it dries fast!) and massage the gel over your skin in small circular motions - this breaks up the foundation particles and starts applying coverage. Apply small dabs over the other areas of the face to get a base coverage. I usually do my cheek down into the chin, the other cheek and into the chin and then forehead. Then I pat it under my eyes and vwa-la! I then apply concealer powder and the 2nd layer dry.

If you have too much powder or you've taken too long to apply and it starts to dry before you've smoothed it all over, the gel starts to clump up. This is rather annoying because it's like foundation lint on your face but you can swipe it off. Usually if you add just a TINY bit of gel (just tapping your finger against the tube opening may be enough) to get some moisture back you can smooth out areas that dried too fast but using a 2nd layer of dry foundation usually blends it enough that you can't see any uneveness. Water (wet fingers) is a bad idea to try to fix blotches. It makes a sloppy, uneven mess on your face.

I've been doing this with Lauress Ethereal foundation (the heavier coverage formula) and love it. The aloe gives my face a smooth canvas for my makeup, and makes pores look smaller, and the aloe calms any inflammation in my skin so no breakouts. I will say that I can't use aloe gel as a moisturizer alone or my skin is too tight and dry so I apply my regular moisturizer first, let it dry and then start the wet method here.

Hope that helps you guys!!

PS Sorry I've been away. I had to ground myself from MUT for a bit. I was getting a little too consumer happy! lol

when i put it on i end up looking OLD it settles in all the cracks what to do??? just started with minerals ,HELP

Back