Mmu -tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest piece of advice to all my clients is to sweep minerals on, or brush, if using damp brush, in downward strokes. This will help the makeup to glide over pores, lines, wrinkles, etc, rather than driving the makeup up into them. I also do recommend a setting spray, or a damp warm washcloth pressed gently to the face to add a dewy glow- esp for those with dry skin. And yes, using a nice moisturizer, or primer, or in my oily case an oil free serum, will prep your face.

For those with excessively dry skin- using a brush to swirl on mineral powders can act as an exfoliant and cause flakiness. You may wish to press them on with a cosmetics sponge instead- i find damp or dry works fine, but all application & setting techniques will depend largely upon what ingredients form the base of any foundation you use.

I really don’t know about it but I will try it.
hand.gif

You don't have to buff or brush the stuff on, especially if you have sensitive skin as it can irritate more especially if you keep going at one spot. I tap a bit into a glass bowl and use a flat sponge from MAC or a flocked sponge from Jlynne. The MAC sponge applys heavier and the flocked sponge is a more sheer finish. You dont get flyaway and use less minerals. Its great if you have asthma.

I then spritz on some toner and add blush.

To make sure I don't put on too much, I apply a light layer first. Then I'll proceed with the rest of my makeup routine (eyes and lips). That gives my skin time to warm up the minerals and coverage to form. Then I'll see if I need to apply another light layer or if I'm good to go. I've also found that synthetic brushes work better on my sensitive skin.

1. If you are using mineral concealer and foundation, you may want to apply concealer over the foundation, as you might buff it away if applied before foundation.

2. Use a flat top kabuki for heavier application. Rounded top for applying lighter layers.

3. Many shadows can double as a brow powder and also eyeliner. Yes, visine works great as a wetting medium.

4. Many shadows, blushers and bronzers can serve multiple purposes as lip color, cheek color, eye color. Just be sure to read the labels to check for lip safety.

5. Ingredients: be aware that "made with minerals" can mean just pigment, or just one ingredient. Ingredient lists are listed in order of predominance.

SPF ingredients: FYI if a company claims SPF protection then the cosmetic becomes a drug and must meet stringent drug manufacturing laws. Plus, once a drug, the amount of sunscreen ingredients are limited. Not so if it's a cosmetic with no SPF claims. So a foundation with no SPF claim may have more protection than one that does claim it! Confusing, I know. Sorry:(

Point is don't assume there's no SPF protection, simply because it isn't claimed. Read the ingredients, and if you really want to investigate, ask the manufacturer what the percent of SPF ingredients is.

These are all great tips! I wanted to let you all know that I've started a Mineral Makeup Tips Wiki!  Check it out right here. I added some of LAMineral's Tips too.
smile.gif
 Please feel free to edit/add content to it.  Remember, Wikis are for all of us to collaborate on.  So let's do it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JoanieOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How hygienic is it to use water with your minerals?

I'm not sure what you mean by using water with your minerals.  Are you meaning pouring water in your container or spritzing water on your brush? 

i have never used mineral make up but just ordered some online from everydayminerals, so cant wait to see what it is like, they had really good reviews so i thought to try,

I love anything to do with beauty make up and fashion,

Originally Posted by JoanieOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How hygienic is it to use water with your minerals?

If you'd like to apply loose minerals wet, it's always best to use the lid, or another container, plate, edge of your sink, etc. If you use the product lid for dampening a small amount of minerals, then leave the jar open until the lid dries completely. It's never a good idea to add water directly to the container, as mineral makeup usually contains no preservatives. 

Back