My manager yelled at me because of my MAC makeup.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's just picking on you, probably because she's jealous. I have seen girls working at VS with multi-colored hair, TONS of makeup and even subtle piercings. So she is just making up crap.

I agree with Kayville on this, but if you all will allow me to play devil's advocate. Places like Victoria's secret, bath and body works, and other retailers are trying to make their companies more conservative and professional for the sake of the image of their company and what they are trying to uphold. Now here is an article that I found, and this is just 1 out of about a 1000 talking specifically about their dress code.

Web site posts lingerie company's strict dress code Chicago Sun-Times - Find Articles

It says in there the dress code.

You can contact a supervisor over your manager, but they will tell you the same and end up showing you documents that you should have initialed or signed, like a little handbook of policy and procedure. If you have luck like me, they may even fire you.

That's why I am telling you all of this because I have been terminated from Belk's before, for the way that I dressed and the color of my hair. The manager told me to change it, I had the childish thinking about me that "Oh this Bit** is jealous cause she cant wear her hair this color, she is old and ugly, blah blah blah" , and called myself being all gung-ho and caller her supervisor. Well, they contacted HR, and HR showed me my folder. In my folder, there was my signature that I read and understood the dress code,and they told me that I could leave.

Then, I was hired somewhere else as a Administrative HR Supervisor, and when customers come in, some want the cashiers to look a certain way. I have heard complaints about earrings, hair color, clothing ect. I had to do the same thing that used to be done to me, except I didnt write anyone up, I just gave out like a ton of warnings till I was blue in the face. Well, you know what happened? Corporate came in, saw employees looking like this that and the other. Guess who they sent home?

If I am not mistaken, you were the one that made a post about the earring thingies that stretch the hole, maybe you want to take a second to read their dress code (cause it is in black and white) and modify your look if this is a job that you want for a while, if not, then dont change it, and see what comes about. I can tell though that you are trying to make changes, but just make sure that you are in compliance with their guidelines.

Rules are rules, they may suck, but they are there for a reason.

Keep your head up honey and dont be offended by anything that I just said
smile.gif
I mean no harm.
smile.gif

How can your boss make you colour your hair? I mean, I understand about dress codes and not looking over the top. But what, your boss can tell you s/he prefers you as a brunette, and if you don't colour your hair you're fired?

Originally Posted by BloodMittens /img/forum/go_quote.gif None of this is in the dress code book. I looked it over. And my makeup is never really OVER the top, it's not shocking green or anything.
She's what we called the "dress code" manager. She hounds us for problems in our dress. She made me dye my hair four times until it was "just" black and brown. Even though it IS black and brown.

http://a894.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...bdbd641185.jpg

See the little dark red spot on my bangs? Like on the tips, yeah, that's why she made me dye my hair before I could go back to work.

And she also wanted me to take my extensions out, so I told her she would have to make the other girls take out their weaves if I had to take out my extensions.

I love your hair cut! and that is just BS!!!!!!! If none of this is in the book then why don't you get together with all the other co-workers and just come one day to work doing everything she said not to do, like a little revolution and if she tells you guys to take it off then just ask to see the book and to show you were all these so called rules are?

And also, WTH! I've gone to several VS stores and the ladies their are wearing full makeup, the works! Real bright shadows and stuff like that. And whenever I want to buy makeup from there, the girls usually tell me that MAC is better or something like that. I also ask them what they are wearing and they say MAC or some other brand that is not VS out loud and stuff like that. Also, lately I've gone to this VS store were theres this lady that has blue highlights, her hair is black so the highlights are noticable so I dont get it, Maybe you jsut have a ***** for a boss. Sorry
frown.gif

i have never heard of anyone working at victoria's secret in my area that has had to do ANY of this stuff!

Originally Posted by Aprill849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with Kayville on this, but if you all will allow me to play devil's advocate. Places like Victoria's secret, bath and body works, and other retailers are trying to make their companies more conservative and professional for the sake of the image of their company and what they are trying to uphold. Now here is an article that I found, and this is just 1 out of about a 1000 talking specifically about their dress code.
Web site posts lingerie company's strict dress code Chicago Sun-Times - Find Articles

You can contact a supervisor over your manager, but they will tell you the same and end up showing you documents that you should have initialed or signed, like a little handbook of policy and procedure. If you have luck like me, they may even fire you.

That's why I am telling you all of this because I have been terminated from Belk's before, for the way that I dressed and the color of my hair. The manager told me to change it, I had the childish thinking about me that "Oh this Bit** is jealous cause she cant wear her hair this color, she is old and ugly, blah blah blah" , and called myself being all gung-ho and caller her supervisor. Well, they contacted HR, and HR showed me my folder. In my folder, there was my signature that I read and understood the dress code,and they told me that I could leave.

Then, I was hired somewhere else as a Administrative HR Supervisor, and when customers come in, some want the cashiers to look a certain way. I have heard complaints about earrings, hair color, clothing ect. I had to do the same thing that used to be done to me, except I didnt write anyone up, I just gave out like a ton of warnings till I was blue in the face. Well, you know what happened? Corporate came in, saw employees looking like this that and the other. Guess who they sent home?

If I am not mistaken, you were the one that made a post about the earring thingies that stretch the hole, maybe you want to take a second to read their dress code (cause it is in black and white) and modify your look if this is a job that you want for a while, if not, then dont change it, and see what comes about. I can tell though that you are trying to make changes, but just make sure that you are in compliance with their guidelines.

smile.gif
I mean no harm.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kaville It's not really against the law because you are an "at will" employee. Unless they are discriminating based on race, gender, sex, religion, etc. you can't say much. It IS complete BS though. At least the part about how many colors of e/s you can wear. I'd look for another job. She sounds like an idiot. I can understand what these ladies are saying. Rules are there for a reason, and because you are an "at will" employee, there's really not much that can be said unless they are discriminating against you because of sex, religion, gender, etc. etc. And, like April said, you would really be surprised if you heard just how offended some customers get about how somebody LOOKS, it's nuts. It would be nice if we could all dress and look the way we want to on the job, but that's not the case, because as long as people take offense to way another person looks, and as long as customers complain, there will always be dress codes to appease them so they won't take their business elsewhere.

I also agree that your manager sounds like a ********. Because she's jealous, I think she's using her status as manager to do what she's doing to you and that's INCREDIBLY catty. I would say go above her head and and talk to her boss to see if there is anything that can be done to stop the harassment. If it continues after that, I think it might be time to consider looking for new employment.

You shouldn't put up with that kind of b.s. from anyone, especially your manager.

Hopefully things work out.

Well......I have to agree with Aprill on this. I have been a Manager at several retail stores and also in Cosmetics.

I have been in many situations where I have had to tell someone that their look, makeup, clothing or even smell was inappropriate. It is always tough and uncomfortable for both the manager and the employee. While I respect indviduality and style, the truth is that your workplace has the right to dictate how you look while you are employed with them. Part of a Managers job is to uphold company policy and to create a feeling in the store. Wouldn't it be strange to walk into a MAC Store and see an employee with NO makeup and non-trendy clothes? Chances are you wouldn't as her for help. I am sure the Dress Code you signed when you took the job will clearly backup any comments your Manager has made about your appearance, coroporations like VS are pretty good about covering their a*ses when it comes to issues like this. A few examples of similar situation....

-My Best Friend got a Marilyn piercing while working for Macys'. She didn't clearly read the dress code and didn't no she was in violation. She had to remove it the day after or lose her job.

- I had another employee who wore VERY bright shadows and lip colors, primarily MAC. Well we were working for Benefit and her look did not reflect what the brand stands for. She clearly was not wearing our product. I had to ask her to use our product (that's what gratis is for) and to tone down her makeup.

- I had to ask a former employee to have better hygiene. Customers complained that she smelled of BO and Cigarettes. I sent her home several times to change and shower. Finally she quit.

- I had a Goth employee that wore a lot of lace and combat boots. Her look was not appropriate for the environment we worked in. I respected her individual style, but I had to protect the image of my store. When I asked her to wear clothes that were a little more trendy she accused me of harassing her and discriminating against her. She called my boss and complained. Of course I was only going by dress code, and the girl was reprimanded.

I think you are adorable and I love your hair and makeup. Maybe you should consider working in a more lax environment that would allow you to be more expressive with your style.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well......I have to agree with Aprill on this. I have been a Manager at several retail stores and also in Cosmetics.
I have been in many situations where I have had to tell someone that their look, makeup, clothing or even smell was inappropriate. It is always tough and uncomfortable for both the manager and the employee. While I respect indviduality and style, the truth is that your workplace has the right to dictate how you look while you are employed with them. Part of a Managers job is to uphold company policy and to create a feeling in the store. Wouldn't it be strange to walk into a MAC Store and see an employee with NO makeup and non-trendy clothes? Chances are you wouldn't as her for help. I am sure the Dress Code you signed when you took the job will clearly backup any comments your Manager has made about your appearance, coroporations like VS are pretty good about covering their a*ses when it comes to issues like this. A few examples of similar situation....

-My Best Friend got a Marilyn piercing while working for Macys'. She didn't clearly read the dress code and didn't no she was in violation. She had to remove it the day after or lose her job.

- I had another employee who wore VERY bright shadows and lip colors, primarily MAC. Well we were working for Benefit and her look did not reflect what the brand stands for. She clearly was not wearing our product. I had to ask her to use our product (that's what gratis is for) and to tone down her makeup.

- I had to ask a former employee to have better hygiene. Customers complained that she smelled of BO and Cigarettes. I sent her home several times to change and shower. Finally she quit.

- I had a Goth employee that wore a lot of lace and combat boots. Her look was not appropriate for the environment we worked in. I respected her individual style, but I had to protect the image of my store. When I asked her to wear clothes that were a little more trendy she accused me of harassing her and discriminating against her. She called my boss and complained. Of course I was only going by dress code, and the girl was reprimanded.

I think you are adorable and I love your hair and makeup. Maybe you should consider working in a more lax environment that would allow you to be more expressive with your style.

i agree if u did do sth thats against the dress code then change it
but as u said if the book doesnt say anything about it talk to a higher boss if ur manager keeps pushing u.

not every manager is so nice .there are real bitc* out there.

As a person with a background in Human Resources, I advise you to start documentation every incident in which your manager harrasses you regarding how your makeup is done. Then take this issue to Director or v.P. of Human Resources. Ask your boss about the rule that states that you can wear only one eyeshadow. If she can't prove it. You've won your case. Policies have to be posted in employment manuals. I would make an example out of that *****.

Lol because i have a big mouth i would have told her to shove her VS makeup up her A$$. Not that I have anything AT ALL against VS but thats just how it would have went down. I wonder how she can tell who makes your e/s.... ?

Originally Posted by Aprill849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with Kayville on this, but if you all will allow me to play devil's advocate. Places like Victoria's secret, bath and body works, and other retailers are trying to make their companies more conservative and professional for the sake of the image of their company and what they are trying to uphold. Now here is an article that I found, and this is just 1 out of about a 1000 talking specifically about their dress code.

smile.gif
I mean no harm.
smile.gif

That's excellent advice, Aprill849!
Before you do anything rash and risk losing your job (I'm assuming you want to keep this job), do your research and make sure your dress code/behaviour is beyond reproach and not in breach of any company regulations.

And if it is too difficult to work under the conditions that you've been under, you might want to consider quitting. The stress, aggravation, harrassment and persecution is just not worth it. You really need to be happy coming to work every morning or it'll take it's toll on you, emotionally, psychologically and physically.

Good luck!

yeah she is just being completely ridiculous. i would seriously talk to the person above her about the way she has been treating you.

i agree with April.. i never work retail so i dont know how to give you advice but im sure there are other jobs out there that you would enjoy that allows you to be yourself, if the bs out weighs the$$$$$$$$ i would find another job.

I would ask to see you Employee handbook. There should be something on there about what you can and cannot wear, piercings, tattoos, and hair color. If it isn't written in the policy they cannot ask you to do it. Also, VS is not a make up store they are a lingerie store that sells make up so for them to ask you not to wear the make-up that you have is dumb. Does that mean that you have to wear their foundation and blush too? I would question it.

I know that at my company there are a bunch of things that you aren't supposed to wear but people do including the HR Manager. Practice what you preach. If she can't follow the rules, then why should we be expected to? So at times I don't.

I've been in VS before and had have heard the woman working that the make up she was wearing wasn't VS and that it was very bright.

Your manager is just a b****

Back