My manager yelled at me because of my MAC makeup.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Aprill849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with Kayville on this, but if you all will allow me to play devil's advocate. Places like Victoria's secret, bath and body works, and other retailers are trying to make their companies more conservative and professional for the sake of the image of their company and what they are trying to uphold. Now here is an article that I found, and this is just 1 out of about a 1000 talking specifically about their dress code.
Web site posts lingerie company's strict dress code Chicago Sun-Times - Find Articles

It says in there the dress code.

You can contact a supervisor over your manager, but they will tell you the same and end up showing you documents that you should have initialed or signed, like a little handbook of policy and procedure. If you have luck like me, they may even fire you.

That's why I am telling you all of this because I have been terminated from Belk's before, for the way that I dressed and the color of my hair. The manager told me to change it, I had the childish thinking about me that "Oh this Bit** is jealous cause she cant wear her hair this color, she is old and ugly, blah blah blah" , and called myself being all gung-ho and caller her supervisor. Well, they contacted HR, and HR showed me my folder. In my folder, there was my signature that I read and understood the dress code,and they told me that I could leave.

Then, I was hired somewhere else as a Administrative HR Supervisor, and when customers come in, some want the cashiers to look a certain way. I have heard complaints about earrings, hair color, clothing ect. I had to do the same thing that used to be done to me, except I didnt write anyone up, I just gave out like a ton of warnings till I was blue in the face. Well, you know what happened? Corporate came in, saw employees looking like this that and the other. Guess who they sent home?

If I am not mistaken, you were the one that made a post about the earring thingies that stretch the hole, maybe you want to take a second to read their dress code (cause it is in black and white) and modify your look if this is a job that you want for a while, if not, then dont change it, and see what comes about. I can tell though that you are trying to make changes, but just make sure that you are in compliance with their guidelines.

Rules are rules, they may suck, but they are there for a reason.

Keep your head up honey and dont be offended by anything that I just said
smile.gif
I mean no harm.
smile.gif

No offense taken. But I do have the dress code handbook, I have read it over three times to try and find something that said about my hair, and my extensions.
The book says NOTHING about extensions, and since my extensions are blonde and black, no funky colors, their should be no problem. The reason that the manager MADE me dye my hair was because on my bangs my pink that I had my hair dyed before was peeking out. It wasn't my fault, I had dyed my hair twice to black and it kept fading. I finally used a good dye and now it's completely black, but every time I worked she was on my case and it bothered me because I WAS damaging my hair by dying it so much.

As for the makeup, I understand, and I have never worn anything like over the top, seriously, the eyeshadows I wear are non-popping-out, it was just subtle greens and blues with my black shirt. And it bothered me because she tried to tell me I had to MATCH my colors with my shirt, and even only wear one color eyeshadow and I couldn't even blend them.

And you know what. Today, when I went into work, the bit** was wearing the same eyeshadow style and colors I wore two days ago. I was like WTF!?!

So I talked to my General Manager
biggrin.gif

hej good job! what did your GM said???

u knwo its almost sure shes jealous of u coz shes now stealing your makeup style and colour!!! i hate those ppl i m glad none of my fds are like that typa jealous girl.

u knwo what can make it better is that u can wear one colour eyeshadow and still work it! then she can say NTH about it. unless she says u cant even wear eyeshadow !haha

yeah, talk to your district manager and see what she/he have to say. I would assume your manager is just being a Bit**, so talk to someone who's higher up and who would know it better?

Nah. The manager who is giving me a hard time is just a co-manager. I talked to my general manager, who loves me and she told me I didn't have to do anything she said, and if there really was a problem with the dress code, that she (general maanger) would tell me.
biggrin.gif

Glad ur GM is supporting u ! just shows how much of a ***** that Co-M is ~ ah she is a thief shes going to xxxx HAHA

If you want to wear what you want to work, you find an employer that will let you do that. The only employer that's guaranteed to do that is yourself.

It's important not to let someone bully you and it does sound like this co-manager was trying to do just that, but it's also important to handle things calmly and with tact. Sounds like you have -- well done!

Originally Posted by BloodMittens /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nah. The manager who is giving me a hard time is just a co-manager. I talked to my general manager, who loves me and she told me I didn't have to do anything she said, and if there really was a problem with the dress code, that she (general maanger) would tell me.
biggrin.gif
Good to hear!
smile.gif

Looking at it from my back ground I would ask to see the *STORE procedures manual*. If she tries to imply a rule solely on you then you are dealing with discrimination. If she is saying that your make-up is too "crazy" then she needs to create a standard for EVERYONE to follow. I would ask to talk to her and point out that there must be uniform rules in place before she requests you to follow certain orders. If you work at VS then I am sure they are aware of the fact that all stores follow basically the same rules. I would look around, is she talking to the other girls about their makeup? I would sit her down and explain (with a level head) that if she is going to tell you what NOT to wear she must not only tell EVERYONE what not to wear but how to wear it. She may just be exhausted by the fact that you may pursue this and drop the whole ridiculous idea all together. All and All she has no case.

That's really crazy.. the VS here is filled w/ girls who work there who wear bright [bRIGHT!] eyeshadows, have facial peircings, and different colored hair [iE: my friend who works there her hair is a light pink & blonde, nose & eyebrow peircing, and is really over-the-top on her MU sometimes] and she's been there for two years like that.

I'm glad your GM is supporting you!

Originally Posted by Bexy /img/forum/go_quote.gif I do not think it is fair, but then again that is the way that work goes. They pay us so they can make the rules. I know when I worked (I worked in a corporate office) We had a lot of rules. ... Speaking of corporate
bs.gif
like this: a guy I work with now used to work at Abercrombie & Fitch & was telling me about all of the rules they had for their employees there, such as the employer dictated:
what size of clothing you could buy & wear

women were NOT allowed to wear any type of makeup around their eyes

if he came in to work & they considered him not close-shaven" enough, they'd hand him shaving cream & a razor, & make him shave on the spot.

If you work for VS, I can't say I'm surprised. They have a reputation for treating their employees quite badly, which is why I've always skipped over every job posting for Limited Brands. Life's too short to put up with that type of crap.

I'm glad this problem was sorted out neatly. I hate when people in higher positions abuse their power!

It does sound like the co-manager has a personal vendetta against you... and after that last post it really sounds like she wants you to change so she can copy your look!

I'm glad it all got sorted out. This has been a great thread, though, and I'm sure that the advice will be useful other people down the road. We'll all know what to do if a situation like this arises.

I guess the atmosphere at VS varies from one place to another. All the ladies at my local store are always wearing neutral makeup. The only places where employees can get away with funky hair or makeup are video game stores and Hot Topic. It's such a conservative town, they'd probably lose business otherwise.

Originally Posted by BloodMittens /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nah. The manager who is giving me a hard time is just a co-manager. I talked to my general manager, who loves me and she told me I didn't have to do anything she said, and if there really was a problem with the dress code, that she (general maanger) would tell me.
biggrin.gif
Yay! I'm glad you don't have to put up with that co-manager's BS anymore!
handkuss.gif

biggrin.gif
Good to hear. Keep of informed if any other situation arises.
Was a pretty good/interesting thread to read!

I think anyone can relate to having a b!tchy boss. Haha.

You need to report your boss to your company's head office, and your states labor department. That's harrassment and intimidation,it is against the law.

At my job, one of the supervisors is a woman, this woman is a major pain the tukus. Not a mature lady, I am sure she will tell me some day that my makeup is over the top, and I can't wear my bright colors.

Fairly new to posting here in this area, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I call BS, unless it is in your employee handbook they cannot dictate. Period. I have never worked for VS, but I have worked for many diff. places, one of wich tried to tell me I couldn't wear OPI's Tahitian Plum on my nails(acrylics at the time) because it was too bright and might chip.

I kindly pointed out the bright hair shades of other employees, as well as the fact that polish doesn't chip off of fake nails, and made her the bargain that if she would hold all employees to this new 'rule' I would gleefully follow.

I was respectful,she was my manager, but no amount of $ or clout gives someone the right to make you feel crappy. Funny enough I never heard a peep about it again.

If your boss brings up teh shadow again I would 1. ask to see where this is an actual rule and not a personal preference, and 2. proof of complaints from customers.

She cannot fire you for questioning authority, it is not challenging it, simply clarifying motive.

I hope that helps a little!

Originally Posted by BloodMittens /img/forum/go_quote.gif Everytime I go to work, I always have to wear black, well, everyone knows the rule of BLACK. You can wear any color eyeshadow/s if you were all black. It looks fine. Well, I always try and wear greens or blues when I wear black, and my manager came up to me the other day and told me I couldn't wear MAC anymore, because it challenged our makeup line, which I understand.
And then later she told me that had I noticed I only matched my eyes and my shirt like a week ago when I wore blue. And that I would have to wear only ONE color eyeshadow a day. I looked at her like she grew five heads.

Like WTF? I understand the MAC VS. Victoria's Secret bullcrap that you issued from your mouth. But now YOU'RE trying to tell me how to put on MY makeup?

This is coming from the manager who has as much creativity as a bath-mat and thinks being tan as hell and showing your stomach is still hot.

Do you think this is fair? That I'm not allowed to not only wear MAC, but now I HAVE to match my eyeshadows and have them be boring?

Glad you talked to your GM and got it worked out! Some people just really don't have the personality to be in management, but somehow they get there anyway.

Back