Net speak question

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Reaction score
This isn't so much a rant as a question. I'm genuinely perplexed at this:

Why do people type multiple letters in a word when its not necessary?

For example:

"I reallyyyyyy enjoy this new eyeshadow. It's my favoriteeee."

It's confusing to me, because people don't go around talking like this in real life. Thoughts?

Reaction score
OMG- you MUST be talking about me because i do this waaaaay too much (HAHA)

i never do the example as you showed up there though, i always do it as i seem to be thinking it in my head, as i would say it out loud.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif OMG- you MUST be talking about me because i do this waaaaay too much (HAHA)i never do the example as you showed up there though, i always do it as i seem to be thinking it in my head, as i would say it out loud.

same with me! i do it a lot, too.

Reaction score
i actually do talk like that.

am i the only one to draw words out like really, or way? (good example, brewgrl!)

Reaction score
Its only confusing/annoying when its at the end of words for some reason, like the last letter of that word.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maysie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Its only confusing/annoying when its at the end of words for some reason, like the last letter of that word. i do that all the timeeeee
sorry, but i really don't know why LOL

Reaction score
I noticed this too, lol. It's like the emphasis is in the wrong place or something, hehe.

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with everyone, it's for emphasis.

I think the reason why it is placed at the end of the word sometimes and seems to be misplaced, is because most of the time, the last syllable is drawn out.

Reaction score
agreed, for me it indicates added emphasis, but I prefer it to be where the emphasis should be, if at all possible. Like "waaaay too much" rather than wwwaaayyyyyy or what have you. For me anyway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nosepickle /img/forum/go_quote.gif it's just a way of putting emphasis on words, I guess.

Reaction score
I do that too sometimes, with soooo, waaay, and reeeally

lol sorry it's annoying !

Reaction score
I agree with everyone... sometimes I do it when I'm typing for emphasis.

I don't do it a lot, I notice I use it when I'm saying so. Like he has me soooo upset.

Usually that's the only time... that I noticed anyway.

I have a dot problem though.. it annoys me at times, I have to learn how to stop. LOL!

Reaction score
I'm guilty too. I think I've done it in almost every post lol. I'm just very expressive sometimes hahaha.

Reaction score
lol I'm so guilty of using this.

Like what people have posted, its for expressing emphasis and stress.

In IRC channels, the use of ~ at the end of the sentence is also popular.

example: hiya girl~~~~~~~~~ or no~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the ~~~~ sort of represents the prolonged and trailled use of the voice :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Reaction score
Guilty as charged. I do it to emphisise a word mainly on how I'm feeling at the time. I think.

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Aplsmash and Rosie.

I do it sometimes though, but not very often.

Reaction score
I'm a total habitual dotter as well!!! (((or really any punctuation mark for that matter)))

oh... and i almost always do it in sets of 3

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with everyone... sometimes I do it when I'm typing for emphasis.
I don't do it a lot, I notice I use it when I'm saying so. Like he has me soooo upset.

Usually that's the only time... that I noticed anyway.

I have a dot problem though.. it annoys me at times, I have to learn how to stop. LOL!

Reaction score
I vote u should try not to let what other people type bother u so much?