New L'oreal and Maybelline BB creams...Worst face products EVER?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Encore DT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rarely do I encounter anyone who swears by anything made by L'oreal or Maybelline. They are both extremely heavy advertisers and, ever since I tried the L'oreal anti-wrinkle cream which dried up my skin and increased my wrinkles, I especially stay away from that brand.

L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes is my holy grail mascara.  I can't find anything that I like better and I have tried many.  Nars, Stila, Tarte, Urban Decay, Covergirl, Maybelline, Too Faced, Makeup Forever, Christian Dior, etc.  The fibers in that mascara makes my lashes look a million times better than they do naked.  I suspect that the newest Too Faced mascara with fibers may be a winner for me too, but I haven't tried it yet.  And it's $35 whereas my L'Oreal mascara is about $11.  I can't speak to any of their other products and I don't remember how I stumbled upon that mascara, probably by the "so many percent longer/fuller lashes!" on the packaging.  I love the beauty tubes, they stay on all day without flaking and then slip off easily when I wash my face.

Having a wrinkle cream that actually increases your wrinkles would steer me away from a brand too!  So sorry that you had such a bad experience.

I don't think these should even be called BB creams. In the drug stores, I haven't seen any anti-aging or skin fortifying qualities. These are more like tinted moisturizers. False advertising.

Oh wow, those are nuts! Granted, I have to steer clear of virtually all BB creams because they oxidize too dark on me....with that said, I can understand them getting darker, but flat out red? WTF? o_O

Speaking of BB Cream... Turns out the Covergirl BB cream is just a repackaged AquaSmoothers tinted moisturizer. Sneaky and I think unethical.

Thanks for the review.

Ah! Almost bought these. I guess some US BB creams just can't match the performance of Asian BB creams.

I mean, I haven't tried US BB creams yet but based on these reviews and some other blogs, they bring disappointment to everybody.

I used 

Maybelline Clear Smooth Minerals BB Cream
before when I was still living in the Philippines but I so liked that one! I do not know if its still sold there. Its something like $7.50 but oh boy, it was so awesome!

Im going for Asian BB creams as a lot of people agree they are the best stuff to invest money on.

your natural skin tone and undertone will effect the end result 

I tried the l'oreal shades and both were to ashy for me, even the darker one. 

I still stick to my Skin79 BB creams, first and best BB creams in my books 

I picked both of these up and hated the L'Oreal, but actually really like the Maybelline. I'm in the shade Medium and it perfectly matches my skin tone and seems to stay in place all day. Universal Glow looks pretty awful!

I tried some on my hands the other day at the store (Maybelline), and it didn't oxidize at ALL. I guess it just depends on skin chemistry.

Though no oxidization, I didn't feel like it applied very smoothly on my hand :

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was surprised to see how much the US BB creams cost. The Korean ones are better and cheaper! There's no reason other than instant gratification to buying most of the US bb creams. It is frustrating to wait a few weeks for it to come in, but it looks so nice it's worth it.
Totally agree!  I bought my first BB cream, Skinfood's Peach Sake Pore BB cream, from a Korean company via Amazon.  It arrived in 2 weeks and I'm really liking it!  Even with shipping, it was less than $15.

I've never used a liquid foundation before however usuing just bronzer is starting to break me out, I usally buy clinque products but i wante to see how my face would react to liquid makeup before i spent 24$ on it, so i bought maybellines BB cream rather than clinques "pefrectly real"liquid makeup.  Is the BB cream even liquid makeup? I didnt think it gave me near the amout of converage as the clinque, it is very thin.  So my question is what is this really even used for???

that's crazyy! I'm just annoyed that anyone and anything can slap on the label "bb cream", and no one will know the difference. aren't true bb creams supposed to improve your skin over time? I just remember the garnier one (which wasn't bad in and of itself, just not a bb cream) just said it "instantly improved skin"--which any foundation does, amiright?

Holy grossness.  I don't own them (and now I glad I never bought them!) but I do have the Garnier and it doesn't have any weird color...but it's nothing more than a sub-par tinted moisturizer. Not a BB cream!  False advertising!

So, I picked up the Maybelline (in light) today out of curiousity, and it didn't turn out orange like that at all! When first squeezed out of the tube I thought it might be too dark, but as soon as I started to rub it in, it looked like a good match. Must have been a bad batch or just a bad reaction with your body chemistry or something you had on, like soap, lotion, or perfume?  I'm quite pale, as well.

Here it is on my hand (which is just a tad darker than my face), then partially and completely rubbed in.

And here it is after being on my face for about 15 minutes. Forgive the wet hair and lack of makeup. But it didn't go orange at all on me!

So far, I like it. It's not quite dewy, but not completely matte, has sheer coverage (great at evening out color, but definitely won't do much for an actual breakout, as you can see from my monthly hormonal breakout above, lol. As long as you don't compare it to asian bb creams (because the US ones are a complely different beast, frankly, so I don't see the point in comparing them) it's not a bad product.

I bought the L'Oreal BB cream and I have worn it for 2 days in a row without issue.

Quote: As long as you don't compare it to asian bb creams (because the US ones are a complely different beast, frankly, so I don't see the point in comparing them) it's not a bad product.

They are using the asian BB cream sensation to sell their product. It's false advertising, IMO. There isn't anything "wrong" with the product's performance, but they should just call it what it is - a tinted moisturizer.

Back