No-Buy / Low-Buy Goals for 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So far so good on my No-buy. I went into Walgreens and picked up two Revlon lip butters and held them, decided to buy them, then put them back. That was HARD! I've taken to making a list of things I want for various holidays that my husband can buy for me. Just taking it one month at a time.

Good for you! Putting items back and walking away is the hardest part, I feel like they're calling my name as I leave!  Way to flex those willpower muscles!

I started my low buy back on Dec 15th and I haven't bought anything yet.  I'm so happy that I've made it a month!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I've done a lot of browsing, mostly online, and have even filled online carts but haven't actually bought anything.

I started my low buy back on Dec 15th and I haven't bought anything yet.  I'm so happy that I've made it a month!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I've done a lot of browsing, mostly online, and have even filled online carts but haven't actually bought anything.
Yay! That's great! Hope I do as good as you.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ok, I've been stalling for far too long on my Low Buy/No Buy goals for this year. So here goes:

Monthly goals:

JAN- Low buy ($20), sell on ebay

FEB- No buy, sell on ebay

MAR- Low buy ($20), sell on ebay

APR- No buy, do the Zoya Earth Day nail polish thing

MAY- Low buy ($20)

JUN- No buy

JUL- Low buy ($20)

AUG- No buy, sell on ebay

SEP- No buy, sell on ebay

OCT- No buy- instead, have fun decorating house for the Fall, going on walks, etc.

NOV- Take advantage of all the good deals ($200)

DEC- Lowish buy to take advantage of the good deals ($100)

(Ok to replace necessary items, including: Paula's Choice skincare, personal hygiene items, mascara, concealer, and foundation but only when I run out!)

Planned buys as of Jan, 2014: Used Clarisonic on Ebay (maybe- or get muslin cloths), NYX jumbo eye pencil in 'milk' ($4.50), UD Naked 3 palette ($52), a few new makeup-brushes by Sigma or Real Techniques (crease, blending, flat kabuki for mineral foundation), Faber Castell perfect pencil ($13), prescription sunglasses ($150), Butter London backstage pass with 'yummy mummy' ($44) (only if I consistently use my current nail polishes and like them for two months). May need new camisoles with bra shelves built in ($36), as well as new panties ($7), and perhaps a new pair of jeans ($45). Would be nice to have a classic purse or briefcase-type bag for my job ($60).

General beauty goals:

1. Take inventory of all beauty items, keep it in Google Docs so I can access it from anywhere.

2. Determine how long each item lasts me, and how much it would cost annually to keep using it.

3. Start actually using my eyeshadows, try two develop two go-to looks that work with my eye shape.

4. Declutter and minimize- if I don't like or use a product for more than 3 months, it's time to donate it or trash it.

5. Remember: cruelty-free only! And make myself reusable cotton squares with my sewing kit!

6. Make a monthly 'most wanted' list and must wait 30 days minimum before buying, and only during 'low buy' months, within the price range.

General financial goals:

1. Fully fund my 2013 Roth IRA

2. Fully fund my 2014 Roth IRA

3. When raise comes in, put a larger percentage of gross income into 401K

4. Check credit report three times a year on annualcreditreport.com and use creditkarma and mint.com monthly

5. Save at least $100 every month into my Emergency fund (ideally $300)

6. Consider trying the envelope method or get online bank that allows unlimited sub-accounts

How to stay on my No Buy:

1. Impulse control- must still want it at least 30 days after first feeling the need (see above).

2. Train yourself not to get a thrill from purchases, instead, go on walks, bike rides, and visit the library often for books, magazines, movies, music, and graphic novels. In short, do instead of buy.

3. Try DIY projects if you already have the materials- no going out and purchasing! This is to save money, not create a new hobby.

4. Trade or buy from sold items on ebay

5. Consider making a chart of goals and rewards, kind of like a rewards calendar. Each week I don't spend any money, I can give myself a point, which will allow me to add $5 to my next low buy month's quota, making it possible to change that low buy of $20 to a low buy of $40 if I meet my no buy goal each week of the previous month. Conversely, if I slip up in a week, I will have to be on a no-buy the next month again.

6. I can buy anything I want if I sell stuff and increase my paypal balance, but no more than my paypal balance.

That's all I could come up with for now! But hopefully I'll make it fun, and I'll spend enough time actually enjoying life that I won't even notice the lack of buying. And maybe that'll help my willpower. Come on 2014!!! Be the year for me to be disciplined!
For some reason I couldn't edit my original post, but I want to make some alterations, so I'm quoting it and changing it here (see above!)

Just an update:

I'm still on track for January as I sold $50+ on ebay and I'll keep listing things. I switched February and January so that January was a low-buy instead of a no-buy. Even though I sold more than I spent, I didn't do so well on the impulse control- as I bought a palette after having only known about it for...6 days....*gulp*. But if I hate it, I will stay on my return just in case.

Also, I went to return an eyelash curler I just bought after realizing it wasn't the right shape for my eye, and she said I could keep it and get a refund, so with the refund I bought the one that is right for me. I'll either sell the one that was too big, or give it to my sister.

The only things I'm really wanting right now are a bag/purse that is somewhat classic, fancy, timeless, and durable all rolled into one. Also, I still want the UD Naked 3 palette, and well..a few other things.

Well my goal to not buy makeup didn't last too long. Lol. In my defense I bought it with my Ulta gift card I got for Christmas so it's sort of a Christmas present right? Plus I got to use the 20 percent off high end stuff and I did really good...i only bought 2 makeup items. I got the dual ended UD eyeliner that goes with the Naked 3 palette...my absolute favorite palette that I use all the time. And I got Benefit hi brow pencil for highlighting under my brows& something I didn't already have. Oh wait 3 things! I also got a NYX under eye concealer in yellow. Again something I didn't already have. But I have been good not buying any makeup when I go to stores running errands which was my big downfall in the past.

Well my goal to not buy makeup didn't last too long. Lol. In my defense I bought it with my Ulta gift card I got for Christmas so it's sort of a Christmas present right? Plus I got to use the 20 percent off high end stuff and I did really good...i only bought 2 makeup items. I got the dual ended UD eyeliner that goes with the Naked 3 palette...my absolute favorite palette that I use all the time. And I got Benefit hi brow pencil for highlighting under my brows& something I didn't already have. Oh wait 3 things! I also got a NYX under eye concealer in yellow. Again something I didn't already have. But I have been good not buying any makeup when I go to stores running errands which was my big downfall in the past.
You used a gift card- I'm sure the giver would have wanted you to get what would make you most happy! I've made a purchase too. It was foundation powder- something ill use up quickly and it was on sale. But what I've actually done really well on not purchasing makeup at target/Walgreens when I'm running errands. That's something positive for both of us!!

Quote: Originally Posted by katielp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You used a gift card- I'm sure the giver would have wanted you to get what would make you most happy!

I've made a purchase too. It was foundation powder- something ill use up quickly and it was on sale. But what I've actually done really well on not purchasing makeup at target/Walgreens when I'm running errands. That's something positive for both of us!!
Yes I agree!  My downfall was always buying drugstore makeup that I didn't need because looking at all the pretties in the store made me want to buy something...and well, I justified that it was cheap.  I'm loving all the higher end makeup I got for Christmas & feel satisfied with my stash.  I'm being much more selective with my makeup purchases which is helping the no-buy a lot!

A pat on the back to both of us for resisting temptation everytime we run to a store.

Quote: Originally Posted by JessicaK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not buying any eye shadow or lip products in 2014. I really need to use up what I have!
Me too! I went nuts in 2013 and bought 3 palettes and several singles of eyeshadow, and about 12 or 13 new lip stains, balms, glosses, etc. Banned until they're gone!

I'm on a no-buy for makeup, bath and hair products for 2014 (at least until BF) because I definitely have enough to last me the year and more! I can buy what I'm completely out of, like soon I will need a new top coat and eye cream, but that is it. Trying really hard to resist an amazing skincare set, but I will buy it if I can get it for under $15 because that's how much I would spend on a new eye cream anyway.

My plans for 2014: Since getting the Naked 1 & Naked 3 palettes for Christmas, I am very content with my eyeshadow stash sooooo...I'm not planning on buying anymore eyeshadow/palettes in 2014.   I also have the most blushes I've ever owned at the moment.  7!  I have enough variety in colors and don't need anymore for the rest of the year so no buying blushes. My lipstick/lipgloss supply is more than sufficient so I will not buy anymore of either until finishing one. The only makeup items I plan on buying are essentials that need to be replaced or something I don't already have. For the first time I own several high end makeup items and I'm very satisfied with them.  I still have a good mix of drugstore/Avon products in my stash so I won't be going broke replacing thngs at least!  Avon is my biggest weakness.  I'll be needing to post in the monthly no buy/ low buy threads to have you ladies talk me down when I see all the pretties in the catalogs. lol  Thank goodness for the support system we have here!
Ok I think I set the bar too high. Lol. I am sticking to no more e/s especially palettes but otherwise I'm going to be on a very low buy

Quote: Originally Posted by azalea97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok I think I set the bar too high. Lol. I am sticking to no more e/s especially palettes but otherwise I'm going to be on a very low buy
I initially went on a no buy and at my husband's urging (total enabler..or...perhaps he was thinking safely) I switched it to a low-buy. His mentality is... when I don't get some sort of "shiny thing" for a long period of time, I have a tendency to then splurge large...lol. so small doses? IDK.

I tell myself I have way too many blushes yet somehow keep coveting more. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I hear people keep blushes for like 10 years, and while I love blushes, I don't know that I want to hoard an item that long no matter how well it keeps...so I'm not banning myself from getting them, but I am trying my hardest to be conscious of what I have so I can actively use them up. Same goes for E/S. 

I initially went on a no buy and at my husband's urging (total enabler..or...perhaps he was thinking safely) I switched it to a low-buy. His mentality is... when I don't get some sort of "shiny thing" for a long period of time, I have a tendency to then splurge large...lol. so small doses? IDK. I tell myself I have way too many blushes yet somehow keep coveting more. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I hear people keep blushes for like 10 years, and while I love blushes, I don't know that I want to hoard an item that long no matter how well it keeps...so I'm not banning myself from getting them, but I am trying my hardest to be conscious of what I have so I can actively use them up. Same goes for E/S. 
Exactly. I don't want to feel like I'm not able to buy anything and then feel guilty if I do. I don't normally buy a lot of makeup at once. I do love my Avon though and would like to be able to buy a little something here and there. I'm usually really good about only buying things from them when they are on sale so I don't spend a lot of money. I am going to be mindful of what I definitely don't need and won't use. Thank you! You make me feel less guilty for switching to a low buy. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been really bad. The memeboxes have been rolling in. I will have to do an inventory & organize my FSOT stuff & post them on poshmark.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I initially went on a no buy and at my husband's urging (total enabler..or...perhaps he was thinking safely) I switched it to a low-buy. His mentality is... when I don't get some sort of "shiny thing" for a long period of time, I have a tendency to then splurge large...lol. so small doses? IDK.
This completely makes sense from a drug abuse treatment analogy perspective.  It's the methodone approach:  Not enough to get you high, but enough to keep you from getting strung out or go into horrific withdrawals.

In semi-related news, ugh, I just got a new credit card due to potential fraudulent activity.  This is the card I use for all of my subs.  This might get me to cancel some subs once I start updating the CC information.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This completely makes sense from a drug abuse treatment analogy perspective.  It's the methodone approach:  Not enough to get you high, but enough to keep you from getting strung out or go into horrific withdrawals.

In semi-related news, ugh, I just got a new credit card due to potential fraudulent activity.  This is the card I use for all of my subs.  This might get me to cancel some subs once I start updating the CC information.
Something like that.

And eek! I hope it gets figured out fast. My hubs works in the Banking world and he's been telling me about all of the fraud that's been happening due to the whole Target thing. It's also happened with other stores, but nowhere near as bad as that one. I'm glad our bank went ahead and immediately sent us replacements for our cards (without us even asking, at that). I think before the whole thing went crazy, we had made a substantial purchase at Target -- and the bank went ahead and replaced everyone's cards immediately as a safety measure. 

Back