No-Buy / Low-Buy Goals for 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The only low/no-buy I'm planning for 2014 is NO PALETTES. None. Zip. Zilch. ZERO. I have way more palettes than any person could ever need. I'm talking well over 150. It's stupid. I haven't even used half of them.. Quite sad to think what I could have done with that money I wasted on makeup. Oh well. 2014 is a new year, new me, new budget!

Ecks!!! Have you thought about having a blog sale?

Can you have a blog sale without a blog? I would sell some of the unused ones on Ebay but that takes up too much of my time. I'm really busy 
sadno.gif

I've sold stuff here on MUT and on my Instagram

Can you have a blog sale without a blog? I would sell some of the unused ones on Ebay but that takes up too much of my time. I'm really busy :sadno:

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've sold stuff here on MUT and on my Instagram
Oh, cool! I'll have to look into that.

I went through my stuff and put all the samples I haven't opened into a bag and when I feel like I need to go shopping I'll do it in that bag. You know all the samples you get with Sephora, Beauty.com, nordstroms.com orders. I was shocked how many I had stuffed in various crevices!

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Great idea!

I will allow myself 10 beauty purchases between Jan. 1, 2014 and Black Friday 2014.

This excludes nail polish remover, basic skincare, hair care, and bath & body products but I can't buy these products until I run out.

I will not buy anymore clothing until I lose a significant amount of weight (20-30 lbs) by working out & eating healthier. 

I'm saving up for a big move after graduation so I MUST stick to this.
Best of luck to you in 2014 on your weight loss journey! I know this forum isn't about that but it caught my eye and I can honestly tell you there is nothing better than going into a change room, picking out the size you've worked so hard to be, and having it fit! You can do it! 
icon_cheers.gif

My no buy goals for 2014!

- No purchases until at LEAST June 2014! I have more than enough products that I have to go through until then. 

- Go cruelty free, with any purchnases after June being from cruelty free companies. 

- Only things I can repurchase things after are things that I have completely run out of. 

I've gone a month without new purchases, so hopefully I can go another 6 months! 

In a different topic I posted my 2014 no-buy goals

After some deep thinking I decided to go on a no-buy for the entire year of 2014!
I am not allowed to buy any make-up for the entire year with the following exceptions:

- I can purchase a few more lipproducts, but not exceed my 8 product limit

- If I run out of somehting, I can buy a replacement. For example, if I run out of mascara I can just buy a new one and it doesn't have to be the same one.

But I've been loving bright eyeshadows lately, and although I own a few beautyful bright matte shades and the elf 100 palette. I don't really own many bright shimmery shades. So I am going to add one more exception

-If I hit 8 pans on the elf 100 palette, and 8 pans on any other eyeshadow, I can buy the 88 shimmer palette.

Those are my goals for 2014

I have just been deleting emails without reading them too...but if they become too tempting (especially during my 3 month no buy) I may need to unsubscribe altogether. I did that last year after I had gone overboard with clothes shopping and it worked well because it removed a lot of the temptation.
I changed my mind and ended up unsubscribing from almost all email lists today for makeup/beauty, clothes, accesories etc. Since my general goal is to simplify I figured all the email lists were not necessary. All they do is clutter my inbox and eat up time (and money if I'm tempted to buy something). Plus I'm trying to do a no-buy from January through March so I don't need any temptation to buy more stuff. I had 33 unread emails this morning (and last checked my email at around 11 last night) most of which were promotional emails from various stores trying to sell me stuff. Usually I delete most of them without looking in much detail but still, all the time I spend reading and sorting through emails is taking away from other things. Ok, tbh, I didn't unsubscribe from ulta yet because I still have Xmas gift cards to use there so am watching for something I really want. But I may unsubscribe from that eventually too because their sales and gwps always lure me in! Eventually I may resub to a select few email lists (after my no-buy turns into a low buy) just so that when I DO shop I'm getting the best deals but at this point I think that unsubbing to most email lists is best for me to meet my goals for this year! Eta...I'm staying subscribed to birchbox and julep since I still have those subs. I'm planning to skip julep the next few months (which shouldn't be difficult as I skip most months anyway) and my main birchbox account is paid through Aug 2014 so I'm not counting that in my no-buy. I'm canceling my 2nd bb account after February so I can give the points to my main account and saving those points for April so I can buy myself a nice birthday gift with bb points :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wow! Y'all are very inspirational with these detailed lists and plans! I was just like "I'm not going to buy anything" but now I'm thinking with more detail. My goal is to make it until March 15 with no clothing, make-up, body product, or hair product purchases. The only things I will buy are daily necessities, such as toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. I'm thinking about stocking up on these this weekend to keep me out of Target for the next 10 weeks. I'm going to try to use up my rather large sample stash, as well. I'm going to cut down on eating out, and try to grocery shop twice a week for only fresh, healthy food. I'll allow myself Starbucks, but only int the morning on the way to work (I'm allowing it because I know it will NEVER happen.) I get my nails done every 2 weeks, and my hair every 4, and will continue to do so. Like a couple of others, I'm going to ficus on getting my home in order. I've got closets to clean, cabinets to organize, and a fee changes in decor in mind. I've already planned this out, and since I'm one of those weirdos who love to clean and organize, I'm really looking forward to it. If all goes as planned, I hope to have a lot less stuff, a nice chunk of money saved, and everything cleaned and organized by Spring Break.

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Can you have a blog sale without a blog? I would sell some of the unused ones on Ebay but that takes up too much of my time. I'm really busy 
sadno.gif

I know there is the mac-cosmetics community on livejournal, or just set up a tumblr account which is fast and easy. 

Ooh yeah true. I forget about those places. When I sell on Instagram, I hashtag and mention @themakeupexchange #themakeupexchange and they regram the photo

I know there is the mac-cosmetics community on livejournal, or just set up a tumblr account which is fast and easy. 

Ooh yeah true. I forget about those places.

When I sell on Instagram, I hashtag and mention @themakeupexchange #themakeupexchange and they regram the photo
I've never even ventured into buying things on instagram.... trying to resist pulling out my phone and checking lol! 

It's mostly people selling Mac. A lot of the stuff is priced at retail+

I've never even ventured into buying things on instagram.... trying to resist pulling out my phone and checking lol! 

I don't want to buy extra makup for me in 2014. I don't want that it expire without using, mostly happens with me. I Hope I will achieve my goal this year and will save some money also. Thanks everyone for sharing great ideas and suggestions.

i slipped today y'all 
spank.gif

I snagged some Kevyn Aucoin pressed powder and creme foundation -

well… on one hand it sort of applies to my 2014 rules for buying makeup - Since I wear foundation/concealer and powder every single day - I know I will run out soon of these from my current stash.

WHile I have backups - I felt that the deal was so awesome to try some ultra luxury products at a great price I figure I could just buy these items and be good -

I still feel a bit guilty though -

On the positive side, I was in Walgreens and was in line to pay for the new L'oreal nude lipstick that came out - I had it in my hand and all - then I conjured up the spirit from my fellow no-buyers on this thread - and you guys helped me 'put down the lipstick' and walk away  smdh

Yay! so I felt redeemed - sort of
doze.gif

I'm planning a sort of motivational low-buy year. I have quite the backup of my staple cosmetics so I am only going to let myself buy anything as a reward for getting something else done.

For example, I have a manuscript to edit at the moment and once I finish doing so, I will buy a palette by theBalm that I have wanted for the longest time. And after I do that, I'll assign a new product to my next big task.

I hope that this way, I will have some extra motivation to get done long-term goals. I also think it will encourage me to pick products that I really want (not something on a whim) because each product needs to be enough to motivate me. And hopefully it will make buying those products all the more satisfying because not only will I have waited and saved my money for each product, but I'll also have done something to earn it. I have a list of products all ready to go! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Wish me luck!

I'm planning a sort of motivational low-buy year. I have quite the backup of my staple cosmetics so I am only going to let myself buy anything as a reward for getting something else done. For example, I have a manuscript to edit at the moment and once I finish doing so, I will buy a palette by theBalm that I have wanted for the longest time. And after I do that, I'll assign a new product to my next big task. I hope that this way, I will have some extra motivation to get done long-term goals. I also think it will encourage me to pick products that I really want (not something on a whim) because each product needs to be enough to motivate me. And hopefully it will make buying those products all the more satisfying because not only will I have waited and saved my money for each product, but I'll also have done something to earn it. I have a list of products all ready to go! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Wish me luck!
That's sounds like a great idea. I was going to try to buy something monthly, but it is my last semester of grad school. Classes haven't even started and I can already feel my lack of motivation. Maybe something for short term goals would help!

Quote: Originally Posted by pinkcrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's sounds like a great idea. I was going to try to buy something monthly, but it is my last semester of grad school. Classes haven't even started and I can already feel my lack of motivation. Maybe something for short term goals would help!
i have spring + summer left for grad school! i already have my "professional project" (aka thesis) outlined, lit review done...yeah, motivation to make it through the last 9 months is not there anymore. i usually reward myself after an exam!

i have spring + summer left for grad school! i already have my "professional project" (aka thesis) outlined, lit review done...yeah, motivation to make it through the last 9 months is not there anymore. i usually reward myself after an exam!
I haven't really had exams. This past semester was basically one big project at the end of the semester for each class. I have 12 hours this semester and I'm really hoping there are more small projects for my classes.  I have my final project which will have lots of steps so I'll probably end up rewarding myself after each step of that. And I can only get a pedicure before graduation! That's one of my major weaknesses......

Back