No-Buy / Low-Buy Goals for 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you ladies so much for your feedback.... I seriously was going to go to Ulta in the rain to checkout the Chocolate Bar Palette....

You ladies gave me strength to resist. You're right I def. do have colors in this palette - and Im starting my clean eating, so chocolate may not be the best thing for me to be smelling (or eating for that matter)

I will be strong!

thanks again 

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thank you ladies so much for your feedback.... I seriously was going to go to Ulta in the rain to checkout the Chocolate Bar Palette....

You ladies gave me strength to resist. You're right I def. do have colors in this palette - and Im starting my clean eating, so chocolate may not be the best thing for me to be smelling (or eating for that matter)

I will be strong!

thanks again 
If you are starting the clean eating you should definitely watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.  I watched that movie and it made me want to change my life, so great! I'm starting a clean eating/juice fast on Monday myself!

Quote: Originally Posted by Sumayyah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  If you are starting the clean eating you should definitely watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.  I watched that movie and it made me want to change my life, so great! I'm starting a clean eating/juice fast on Monday myself!
ooh i hope its on netflix! ill check it out

ooh i hope its on netflix! ill check it out
It is! 
biggrin.gif

I want to do a no-buy from January through March 2014 but that sounds overwhelming so I'm taking it one month at a time. I dont want to completely deprive myself but For most of the year I plan to be on a very low buy except for necessities. The only subscriptions I still have are birchbox and julep. I have 2 birchbox accounts but when I hit 200 points on my second account in February I am going to gift those points to my main account and cancel the second account so I only have one. I skip julep most months anyway because I have so much polish that I usually only want 1 or 2 polishes and they're never in the same box so I just buy what I want later during promotions. My goal is to buy no polish until at least april. At last count I had over 150 polishes and have added more since then...I'm probably close to 200 now which is just ridiculous. I have enough makeup, hair products and bath/body products to last all year. I'm running out of storage space. The only thing I think I will need to buy is foundation. I need to focus on using things up before buying any more. I'm glad I found this group because I will need the support!

OMG guys I need to go on a complete no buy next year for cosmetics (if I buy, it should be trying out skincare stuff, but skincare is nowhere near as fun is it?) unless if I run out of it, but I have stuff I've been using for a year and have barely made a dent in.

BUT it's not 2014 yet and I'm thinking of maybe picking up the Too Faced A Few of My Favourite Things palette from HSN! There's this promo that makes it only $26 >.< But $26 is still $26 I could spend on something else.

I already have: UD Naked 3 and Wallpaper (which is like a unicorn sprinkled its love on my face), Lorac Stylist and Unzipped, theBalm Nude Tude, Sephora Cinderella and Pantone Colors of Nature and this other sephora palette maybe from 2011, Too Faced Bon Bons, and another ELF palette which I get terrible color payoff from. I have more than I want and use, but $26 for a palette is such a good deal!?!  But I don't need any more and am happy with what I have!!

Also, any ideas about what to do with half-used palettes? : I don' t just want to toss the ELF, old Sephora one, and Wallpaper (which is still okay, but just too sparkly), but on the other hand, my attachment to them is super tenuous.

UGH MAKEUP PROBLEMS.

I definitely need to go on a low buy in 2014. I have way too much makeup for one person now. I'm going to keep my Ipsy and Blush subscriptions unless I start getting a lot of stuff I won't use, and I might add Glossybox if a great sale comes along. I will not, however, buy anything from Sephora unless I have a gift card (I have several I am saving for the new year), and I will try to only buy the stuff I can't trade for and can't live without. I do not need any more palettes (I have soooo many), and I really have to use up all the things I've stockpiled this year. 

Quote: Originally Posted by mrst909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to do a no-buy from January through March 2014 but that sounds overwhelming so I'm taking it one month at a time. I dont want to completely deprive myself but For most of the year I plan to be on a very low buy except for necessities. The only subscriptions I still have are birchbox and julep. I have 2 birchbox accounts but when I hit 200 points on my second account in February I am going to gift those points to my main account and cancel the second account so I only have one. I skip julep most months anyway because I have so much polish that I usually only want 1 or 2 polishes and they're never in the same box so I just buy what I want later during promotions. My goal is to buy no polish until at least april. At last count I had over 150 polishes and have added more since then...I'm probably close to 200 now which is just ridiculous. I have enough makeup, hair products and bath/body products to last all year. I'm running out of storage space. The only thing I think I will need to buy is foundation. I need to focus on using things up before buying any more. I'm glad I found this group because I will need the support!
you can do it! a quarterly no-buy sounds hugely overwhelming but keep checking here for the monthly no-buy/low-buy threads. we're incredibly persuasive ;D i would recommend looking at nail polish blogs so that you can see what people are doing with their colors, see if you have similar colors in your collection and try to replicate the "looks" -- this would be an incentive to wear polish AND get through a lot of it/give some forgotten ones some use. I do the same with makeup and find inspiration images, then try to replicate the looks with what I have, and it's surprising because I end up finding looks I like and giving items use that I would otherwise completely ignore.

@Kyuu  & @BlackMagicRose We can do it!

Kyuu, if you aren't that attached and there's plenty of colors, find someone with a pre-teen who would enjoy the colors and gift it forward. Just make sure to sanitize the shadows before hand... I know eyeshadows have shelf life dates but a lot of people rarely stick by it because bacteria has a very hard time (and it's almost impossible) on powder products if used in a sanitary manner, but just to be on the safe side. 

My goals are pretty similar to everyone else's. Use up what I own. Reorganize and make my area pretty. Only buy when I run out of a certain type of product. (Looks like I'll only need to purchase foundation, powder, under eye brightener, skincare and other basics like toothpaste/deodorant/hair) My real problem is I like variety and will often have at least 5 of a product open at a time with barely any used...but then seeing all the products stresses me out. This is why I want to use up what I own and then turn my makeup area into a calming/fun oasis:)

My goal for 2014 is a no buy for the first 3 months.  I've got a lot of great products that don't get used much, so I want to focus on using what I currently have instead of buying more new things.  During that 3 month period, I'll create a wish list of things I'd like to purchase at some point - right now there is only 1 item, a Chanel cream blush.  On April 1st, I'll then allow myself a couple of items from my wish list, perhaps 2-3.  I think I'll then appreciate the new items I get more, as I've gotten very blase about receiving packages, which to me is a sure sign I need to give it a rest.  My subscription boxes (Birchbox, Eco Emi and Le Metier de Beaute) should satisfy my cravings for "new" and "variety", and I'm planning on skipping Julep as I've got such a backlog of unused polishes. 

My biggest temptation will be great sales, as those tend to trigger a Pavlovian response in me.  So, my themes for 2014 will be "discipline" and "resisting temptation", which goes far beyond buying makeup :)  I also want to declutter my house and make it more inviting and comfortable. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My goal for 2014 is a no buy for the first 3 months.  I've got a lot of great products that don't get used much, so I want to focus on using what I currently have instead of buying more new things.  During that 3 month period, I'll create a wish list of things I'd like to purchase at some point - right now there is only 1 item, a Chanel cream blush.  On April 1st, I'll then allow myself a couple of items from my wish list, perhaps 2-3.  I think I'll then appreciate the new items I get more, as I've gotten very blase about receiving packages, which to me is a sure sign I need to give it a rest.  My subscription boxes (Birchbox, Eco Emi and Le Metier de Beaute) should satisfy my cravings for "new" and "variety", and I'm planning on skipping Julep as I've got such a backlog of unused polishes. 

My biggest temptation will be great sales, as those tend to trigger a Pavlovian response in me.  So, my themes for 2014 will be "discipline" and "resisting temptation", which goes far beyond buying makeup :)  I also want to declutter my house and make it more inviting and comfortable. 
Sales are the worst. I unsubbed to Hautelook emails and Ulta emails, but I can't bring myself to do that with Sephora. I really should because their sales are too too tempting.

this thread has been very inspirational. i am glad that i am not the only one that has these debates within myself. of course my boyfriend is more than helpful with the "no you already have so much crap that you don't even use, stop buying stuff" now if he could just say it in a nicer way so that i dont get annoyed, block it out, and go buy stuff anyways. i am horrible when it comes to sales. Body shop soaps, and Victoria secret scents are my biggest weaknesses. i will be strong this year and actually try to put a dent in my current stock!

Sales are the worst. I unsubbed to Hautelook emails and Ulta emails, but I can't bring myself to do that with Sephora. I really should because their sales are too too tempting.
I haven't unsubbed from any email lists, but I go through and just delete it all unread first thing when I open my email. Your mileage may vary, but it feels like an accomplishment when I can resist even reading the email.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't unsubbed from any email lists, but I go through and just delete it all unread first thing when I open my email. Your mileage may vary, but it feels like an accomplishment when I can resist even reading the email.
This is what I do too, but mostly because I'm too lazy to go through the unsubbing process so I just do check unread all, and delete lol.

oh no - Becca is on sale on Hautelook!

well its officially not 2014 yet... but im flat broke until payday - 

well that's only a day away

They have my fave concealer at the moment in my shade for 1/2 the price - I am allowed to buy this since this is a staple.

oh lordy i hope my shade is still around and not sold out by the time im ready!

...sorry am I enabling? lol

I have just been deleting emails without reading them too...but if they become too tempting (especially during my 3 month no buy) I may need to unsubscribe altogether. I did that last year after I had gone overboard with clothes shopping and it worked well because it removed a lot of the temptation.

oh no - Becca is on sale on Hautelook!

well its officially not 2014 yet... but im flat broke until payday - 

well that's only a day away

They have my fave concealer at the moment in my shade for 1/2 the price - I am allowed to buy this since this is a staple.

oh lordy i hope my shade is still around and not sold out by the time im ready!

...sorry am I enabling? lol
THAT is why I have to unsub. If I read something like that I'll cave.

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm *hopefully* moving a few states away this summer and possibly buying a car. My biggest goal is to get the number of products that I own down to a reasonable amount.

• I will limit myself to five beauty/skincare purchases in 2014 and can only shop during VIB and F&F sales. I do not need anything and I went nuts November and December 2013. I can replenish some items (cotton swabs, q-tips, nail polish remover, etc.) as necessary. 
  • I want to own only one item in each of the following categories: nude lipstick, bold lipstick, lip liner, brow pencil, brow gel, face powder, blush, tinted moisturizer, concealer, face moisturizer, face cleanser, body butter/lotion, makeup remover wipes, nail polish top coat/base coat, nail polish remover, and lip balm.
  • I want a maximum of 3 items in each of the following categories: pencil eyeliners, liquid/gel eyeliners, palettes, lip gloss.
  • I want to reduce the number of nail polishes that I own to 20. 
  • February will be sample month. I will use samples for everything until they're all gone. I have several drawers of samples.
  • I will watch and "favorite" several YouTube tutorials for palettes that I already own. I will dedicate one palette for each month of the year and only use that palette that month.

I'm not going to give myself a "quota" next year. I will do a very selective low buy. A "quota" would stress me out.

Okay -- So I'm trying to lose weight in 2014 so makeup purchases put me further away from having more money for a new-me-shopping-spree!

I'm all about changing my mindset toward shopping for make up.

-If there's a "good value kit", it's only going to be a good value if *I* will actually use the items, not if the items have a "high trade value". SO no set purchases unless I know I can split it with someone BEFORE i buy it or if I'm going to use it myself (you know what i mean? i had awesome success going this route with the UD black friday lipstick set! it made me feel so much better knowing I don't have to sit on 3 lippies i don't want)

-No Drug Store beauty purchases - Whenever I buy something DS its because its an impulse purchase. I have more than enough of higher end stuff and most DS things end up in the trash or unused in my make up area

-No stock piling - Only buy when I run out. Is there an awesome magical deal right now? Too bad. It takes me forever to use things up and I don't need the clutter

-No more beauty couponing - I've found my HG shampoo and conditioner. Just because I can get something for $1 at Walgreens doesn't mean I'll need it.

-No nail polish! I go weeeeeks without wearing any and I already have all the colors I love!

I love the idea of the quarterly shopping/building a wishlist to reflect on what I want. I think I'm going to try to do a No Buy in January since I have so many new things from December. 

We'll see how this goes!

Back