No-Buy / Low-Buy Goals for 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  oh no - Becca is on sale on Hautelook!

well its officially not 2014 yet... but im flat broke until payday - 

well that's only a day away

They have my fave concealer at the moment in my shade for 1/2 the price - I am allowed to buy this since this is a staple.

oh lordy i hope my shade is still around and not sold out by the time im ready!

...sorry am I enabling? lol
I am not personally a huge fan of Hautelook simply because I hate paying for shipping, and $100 is too much to spend for free shipping. 

Hoping that putting my goals in writing might help me stick to them!  I'm not going to do a no-buy, I'm afraid that would lead me to a giant binge.  So I'm going low-buy. 

1- I will buy basic necessities, skin care, hair care etc. only when needed.

2- I will buy no nail polish

3- I won't buy anything from the drugstore.  Almost all my DS purchases end up being used once and then forgotten about.

4- I won't buy something just because it's on sale.

5- I will quit smoking (this is a BIG one!) After I am smoke free for 3 months without any slip ups, I will buy one palette.

6- I won't buy any palettes, other than the one in #5.

7- I will allow myself one $20-$25 splurge every other month.

I don't usually spend much on clothes, so I actually NEED to buy clothes this year.  I haven't bought jeans since 2011!  I also need to buy a new pair of motorcycle boots, the last pair I bought in 2006 have finally given out.  So obviously, I'm due for new clothes!

Quote: Originally Posted by Bikerchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't usually spend much on clothes, so I actually NEED to buy clothes this year.  I haven't bought jeans since 2011!  I also need to buy a new pair of motorcycle boots, the last pair I bought in 2006 have finally given out.  So obviously, I'm due for new clothes!
Big one for me too! I like fashion but I've been brought up with the idae of not spending much on clothing :S so I really need to beef up my wardrobe since I'm going to be working in an office.

Right now, Ann Taylor is having an epic sale! I have shirts in my basket for $10 -- http://www.loft.com/sale/catl00008 I think it's another 60% off the lowest ticket price. They can't be returned, but for $10 it's worth it to me XD

Ok so here are my 2014 goals!
1.  I am only allowed to keep my Ipsy subscription.  I need to cut myself off for at least six month from all other subs because I am drowning in product!

2.  I am cutting myself off from buying new makeup unless I run out of mineral veil (I have four so I doubt that will happen soon).  I have so, so, so, so, many unopened makeup products I am good for a loooooooong time! (20 mascaras alone!)

3.  The only other makeup I can buy must be wedding related or to use up my last mineresse credit.

4.  I must work my way through my stockpile of shampoos, fem products, etc. and no buying anything until I run out!

5.  No more nail polish.  The only nail related products must be nail plates to replace the poor quality ones.

6.  Use the beauty budget to become debt free!

Goals (realistic so not overly impressive, but still there)

1.  Subscriptions

-I can keep my Birchbox sub if I want, and I can use points I earn to buy things if I want. I can also cancel it if I want and replace it with a different sub at a comparable (not necessarily identical, but comparable) price.

-I can also keep my Julep sub, but I cannot take a box unless I genuinely LOVE all items in the box and do NOT have dupes or near dupes of ANY of the items.

-I can keep Graze for now, but will reevaluate if it is 'worth it' at the end of every month.

-If I am in an okay place financially and keeping to my goals overall in late February I can consider the readdition of Julibox if I genuinely think it would make me happy and it it is realistic for me.

2. Food and Drink

-I can buy whatever I want at grocery stores (within some reason of course).

-I can  eat out or get delivery or takeout a maximum of 10 times per month total. In addition to this I can go out for drinks or trivia or similar with friends or coworkers twice per month. 

-I will cook 'real' dinners more- at least 1 time a week (gotta start somewhere). Basic pasta dishes and stuff requiring minimal preparation out of boxes and cans do not count.

-I will try to drink less soda and more tea. Eventually, I will try to cut down on caffeine too, but first things first.

-I can go to Starbucks or somewhere else for a coffee, tea, smoothie, or small snack no more than once per week.

3. Nail polish (my arch-nemesis)

-I can buy a polish only if I legitimately and objectively have nothing like it.

-I will contemplate any polish purchase for a minimum of 12 hours before pulling the trigger; if possible I will contemplate for 48 hours.

-I will actally polish my nails and try to use up colors.

4. Makeup

-I cannot buy any makeup not even replacements unless I have NOTHING similar to replace an item in my stash. For example, when my HG mascara runs out I will have to turn to the samples I have unopened.

-The only 3 exceptions to this are my clinique super powder, beauty protector hair spray stuff, and one specific color of white eye shadow that I wear with extreme frequency.

-I will obviously be trying to use things up.

5. Clothing

- I can spend a maximum of $1200 this year on clothing.  That includes shoes and jewelry and anything else one wears, including socks, hair items, etc.  

6. Things I can't buy unless I use up ALL the ones I already have:

-Body lotions

-Shower gels

-Bath bombs

-Shampoos, conditioners, hair masks

-Sugar Scrubs

-Candles

-Pens and other stuff for writing

-Soap

-Stamps

-Perfumes and sprays

7. Things I can buy freely at any time when I run out:

-Essentials including but not limited to deodorant, toilet paper, tampons, paper towels

-

8. Things for my cats

-I can buy them one new toy per month

-I can buy them another scratching post

-I can buy them a kitty condo thing

9. Travel

-I will use up frequent flyer miles

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Goals (realistic so not overly impressive, but still there)

1.  Subscriptions

-I can keep my Birchbox sub if I want, and I can use points I earn to buy things if I want. I can also cancel it if I want and replace it with a different sub at a comparable (not necessarily identical, but comparable) price.

-I can also keep my Julep sub, but I cannot take a box unless I genuinely LOVE all items in the box and do NOT have dupes or near dupes of ANY of the items.

-I can keep Graze for now, but will reevaluate if it is 'worth it' at the end of every month.

-If I am in an okay place financially and keeping to my goals overall in late February I can consider the readdition of Julibox if I genuinely think it would make me happy and it it is realistic for me.

2. Food and Drink

-I can buy whatever I want at grocery stores (within some reason of course).

-I can  eat out or get delivery or takeout a maximum of 10 times per month total. In addition to this I can go out for drinks or trivia or similar with friends or coworkers twice per month. 

-I will cook 'real' dinners more- at least 1 time a week (gotta start somewhere). Basic pasta dishes and stuff requiring minimal preparation out of boxes and cans do not count.

-I will try to drink less soda and more tea. Eventually, I will try to cut down on caffeine too, but first things first.

-I can go to Starbucks or somewhere else for a coffee, tea, smoothie, or small snack no more than once per week.

3. Nail polish (my arch-nemesis)

-I can buy a polish only if I legitimately and objectively have nothing like it.

-I will contemplate any polish purchase for a minimum of 12 hours before pulling the trigger; if possible I will contemplate for 48 hours.

-I will actally polish my nails and try to use up colors.

4. Makeup

-I cannot buy any makeup not even replacements unless I have NOTHING similar to replace an item in my stash. For example, when my HG mascara runs out I will have to turn to the samples I have unopened.

-The only 3 exceptions to this are my clinique super powder, beauty protector hair spray stuff, and one specific color of white eye shadow that I wear with extreme frequency.

-I will obviously be trying to use things up.

5. Clothing

- I can spend a maximum of $1200 this year on clothing.  That includes shoes and jewelry and anything else one wears, including socks, hair items, etc.  

6. Things I can't buy unless I use up ALL the ones I already have:

-Body lotions

-Shower gels

-Bath bombs

-Shampoos, conditioners, hair masks

-Sugar Scrubs

-Candles

-Pens and other stuff for writing

-Soap

-Stamps

-Perfumes and sprays

7. Things I can buy freely at any time when I run out:

-Essentials including but not limited to deodorant, toilet paper, tampons, paper towels

-

8. Things for my cats

-I can buy them one new toy per month

-I can buy them another scratching post

-I can buy them a kitty condo thing

9. Travel

-I will use up frequent flyer miles
I love how organized and thoughtful this is!  I am so inspired.

They say you speak things into existence so I am saying I will put myself on a low/now buy for 2014.  There.  Did it happen yet? 

I have OCD.  I have struggled with this my entire life and over the past few years have began to seek treatment but it's not under control by any means.  I literally have a compulsion to collect things.  This is incredibly evident in my recent obsession of nail polish collection that has increased from around 250 (collected over the past 20 years) to just over 800 as of the last orders I got with Christmas money.  Buying stuff, especially beauty products, makes me feel better for that short period of time.  (that's a whole other thread entirely)

With that being said for 2014 I will continue to only buy on sales and clearance which helps.  I can't imagine if I ever paid full price for any of it how terribly in debt I might be.  (although 15 bottles for $1.00 each is still spending $15 dollars)  I do actually use the nail polish so it's not as bad as when I was buying make up or when I completely splurge on stuff for my cake decorating or my obsession with buying cookbooks. 

I am encouraged by this thread and hope it will help me keep on track.  At least I know I have a spending problem and admitting it (in a very personal and public way) is the first step.  I am excited to try and make a list similar to what some of you have made and maybe that will help me organize my goals instead of being so all over the place.  That way I have a set idea in mind that will be a great compromise.

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  They say you speak things into existence so I am saying I will put myself on a low/now buy for 2014.  There.  Did it happen yet? 

I have OCD.  I have struggled with this my entire life and over the past few years have began to seek treatment but it's not under control by any means.  I literally have a compulsion to collect things.  This is incredibly evident in my recent obsession of nail polish collection that has increased from around 250 (collected over the past 20 years) to just over 800 as of the last orders I got with Christmas money.  Buying stuff, especially beauty products, makes me feel better for that short period of time.  (that's a whole other thread entirely)

With that being said for 2014 I will continue to only buy on sales and clearance which helps.  I can't imagine if I ever paid full price for any of it how terribly in debt I might be.  (although 15 bottles for $1.00 each is still spending $15 dollars)  I do actually use the nail polish so it's not as bad as when I was buying make up or when I completely splurge on stuff for my cake decorating or my obsession with buying cookbooks. 

I am encouraged by this thread and hope it will help me keep on track.  At least I know I have a spending problem and admitting it (in a very personal and public way) is the first step.  I am excited to try and make a list similar to what some of you have made and maybe that will help me organize my goals instead of being so all over the place.  That way I have a set idea in mind that will be a great compromise.
Im rooting for you! We can all help eachother with our vices - no one's perfect but this is a great start.

Buying stuff, especially beauty products, makes me feel better for that short period of time.  (that's a whole other thread entirely)

Regarding the first sentence I quoted, I think almost all of us, whether we realize it or not, also are victim of that and that is part of why we all buy things we don't need in general. and I don't just mean people on this thread or on MUT or who like makeup- I mean nearly everyone.

As to the second part, I think a list is helpful, and more helpful if you print it and refer to it often. While my list is long this year, i think when starting sometimes its better to try to confine it to a maximum of 5-7 things to start so that it's easier to remember.

I love how organized and thoughtful this is!  I am so inspired.
Thank you! I worked hard on it!

I am going on a low/no buy for myself because we are trying to buy a bigger house. 

-I will keep my pop sugar (paid through may) and birchbox (paid through october), but will re-evaluate all my subs and decide what if any I absolutely have to have. I need to remember I can always trade for items instead of getting a box for one or two items.

-I will not buy makeup/skin care items that I already have samples of (unless my sample isn't effective which in that case I need to throw it out or pass it off to my nieces) 

-I will not buy tons of toys randomly for my kids, I will keep the items from the CL sub (which is paid through march) and use them for gifts instead of just giving it to them

-I will not eat out a ton

-I will pay off my credit card before I make any purchases on it

-I will build my savings back up so at holiday/birthday times I have some money to spend w/o going into debt

I'm starting my no-buy as of today - 2014 is a fresh new start, because I buy way, way too much makeup, and I want to buy an apartment this year.  And I know full well that I might have been able to get started earlier if I total up all my makeup purchases and think about how that money could have been better spent.  

Of course, that meant last night was officially my last night that I could shop for anything.  I made three small online purchases, which I won't talk about here, because I don't want to mention any hauls in a no buy thread (they aren't huge, but I'll take them to the haul thread!). I looked at the clock at 9:50 PM EST last night, and thought, "If there's anything you truly need or are out of, you have two hours and ten minutes to get them."  So the three purchases I made WERE honestly things that I'm either out of or almost out of, except for one blush.  Didn't need it, got it anyway!

So my goal for 2014 - and beyond, because I need to be a responsible home owner - is from now on, nothing else that I don't have to have.  No more shopping for makeup unless it's stuff I've actually run out of that I will need again.  And today it begins, so wish me luck!

<snip>

Buying stuff, especially beauty products, makes me feel better for that short period of time.  (that's a whole other thread entirely)

<snip>

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Regarding the first sentence I quoted, I think almost all of us, whether we realize it or not, also are victim of that and that is part of why we all buy things we don't need in general. and I don't just mean people on this thread or on MUT or who like makeup- I mean nearly everyone.

<snip>

There are studies that have determined that shopping is in fact literally physically addictive.  Here's something I posted in the November no/buy thread on this very subject:

Quote:   Ah, found some links about how psychologists have found that shopping can be literally addicting!  It's all about the dopamine -- and that's a major factor in why cocaine is extremely attractive to some people.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/magazines/arts-and-science/2011-05/got-shopping-on-the-brain-blame-the-dopamine/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200603/doped-shopping

http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/08/29/impulse-shopping-dopamine/

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2006/12/11/post-8/

http://www.zmescience.com/science/domestic-science/better-dressed-dopamine/

And that's just a few of them.  One interesting thing is that two major parts of this are the hunt and the anticipation.  Just *finding* an amazing pair of shoes or the perfect electric blue nail polish can be enough for some people.  That's one of the big reasons why you should walk away and think a purchase over before you buy it:  You may decide you don't really want it after all once the dopamine discovery high wears off.  This is pretty much exactly where buyer's remorse comes into play.  

As for my 2014 plans, I'm taking a slightly different approach because I have several goals that I think I can target with just one plan:  I can shop one weekend a month, strictly from a list I've spent the previous month compiling and reassessing (the longer I look at something on my list, the more likely I am to decide I don't need/want it after all), after I get my non-rent paycheck**.  That's for *everything* -- online purchases included -- except certain fresh groceries that I can go ahead and pick up as needed, like English muffins (breakfast!) and milk every week (I might be able to make it every other week, but just to be safe, I will plan for every week).  I will allocate $20 a week for those as-needed items outside of the monthly shopping runs. 

The rest of the weekends will be stay-at-home weekends dedicated to cooking for the freezer (I used to do this, and it was *fantastic*, but I've gotten overly used to *not* doing it and need to go back to it), cleaning, getting rid of stuff I don't use (I have an entire *room* full of stuff I haven't touched in more than four years) and putting things (like perfume oils) up on eBay.  That should keep me out of stores and focused on getting my apartment in order.  I have a nasty habit of buying *stuff* that just clutters up my apartment.  That needs to end.  This will also cut back on gas.  I've been sick/cranky and staying home most weekends lately (since I take the bus to work and hate holiday shopping crowds, I've basically been using my car to go to the grocery store once a week since Thanksgiving, and that's it), and I can go an entire month -- maybe even longer -- on one tank of gas when I don't spend every weekend running errands and shopping.

I'm also going to read this personal economics book I picked up a couple of years ago and haven't read because it's a survival guide sort of book that views debt and bills as the zombie apocalypse.  Wait.  I phrased that poorly.  I keep putting off reading it just because I am a procrastinator, not because of its contents or presentation.  I got it because of the way it's put together as a survival guide, and the bits and pieces I've read when I've opened it to random pages are really good and useful.  It's intended for people who are at or near the bottom of the economic food chain (so no investment tips, but plenty of tips on things like how to stay away from scammy situations and reasons why getting healthy is actually a financial thing -- and it's so aware of its target audience that there's even an entire chapter with the subtitle "How and why to keep your job...  Even if you hate it"), and it was cowritten by an actual economist (so it knows what it's talking about) and a local former radio personality/former podcaster/eternal smartass (so it's extremely readable). 

Why it's useful and relevant:  It gives tips like set up an autodeposit of $25 to $50 a month to a savings account that you basically have no access to (one specific rule:  DO NOT GET A DEBIT CARD FOR THIS ACCOUNT).  It sounds crazy, but I've done a variation of it before, and it's actually really nice:  If you're a money-fritterer, you don't notice the absence of that $25 to $50 -- and then you'll remember that you set that up months down the line, and then you'll finally get around to checking to see how much you have, and then you'll say, "Holy crap, I have three hundred bucks in there?  Ooh, new shoes!"  And that's what this account is for:  Remembering about it at some point down the road and playing. 

Hmm.  Maybe I should report its tips back here whenever I come across something that seems useful!  (I definitely need to see if I can get another direct deposit from my paycheck and get a $25-per-pay-period thing set up for my secondary credit union that I don't actually *go* to because it doesn't have weekend hours, and I've left my account there untouched for so long that they have actually called me to let me know that I need to *do* something with the money -- even if it's just calling them to move five bucks from checking to savings or vice versa -- every six months or a year if I want the account to remain open.  I might as well let money quietly pile up in it!)

**  I get paid via direct deposit every two weeks.  I figured out how much will cover rent and money I owe my dad (he loaned me some money a couple of years ago, and I'm sloooowly paying him back), and I get that much deposited into my checking account every other week.  The rest goes to savings.  Therefore, I get one check that goes entirely to rent/Dad and one non-rent check that goes towards other bills/groceries/etc. each month.  This month is a three-check month, and when that happens, I need to start putting the majority -- if not all -- of it in savings. 

ETA:  It has come to my attention that I forgot to name the book!  It's _Zombie Economics_, by Lisa Desjardins and Rick Emerson.  Amazon has it here.

Thanks for the links, @meaganola. I think my problem isn't the hunt as much as the anticipation -- I let my buying choices be dictated by a lot of so called make up gurus on youtube, but after that, anything I bought -- it was all the anticipation. So much so that I chose to buy things online instead of driving to the mall 15 minutes away, simply because then I'd have a whole week to look forward to a package arriving.

That's a huge indication that we (collective humans "we") have other things that need to be worked on. I haven't looked closely enough at what has triggered mine, but 2014 is part of that for me - trying to figure it out. buying more stuff for the short fix of anticipation is just not doing my life any good. 

I joined these forums because I really need to try to do a low buy this year.  I'd like to save more money and I have tons of makeup and other beauty stuff.

Here are the details for my Low Buy.  I may do it for the whole year or I may stop at the VIB sale in November :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

1.       Overall Goal:  Low buy for make-up, bath, and body.

a.      1 drugstore and 1 high end purchase per month for make-up.

b.      1 bath / body purchase per month. 

c.       If I skip a month, the purchases can “roll over†to later months.  In the past, this rule has actually helped make my low buy a no buy because I want to keep waiting until I find things I really want to spend my purchases on.

d.      I will also try to use up / get rid of (for things I really don’t love) as much as I can to reduce the size of my stash.

2.       Exceptions:

a.      I can keep my subscription boxes since I actually use most of my samples for travel and to try things before I commit to a full size product.

b.      I can purchase things with Birchbox points, Kohl’s cash, Ulta rewards, gift cards, etc (as long as it is not my own money).

c.      I can replace my most often used foundation (Hourglass Immaculate) since it’s the only one that lasts all day on my oily skin.  However, I need to try to use up some of my other foundations on days where I don’t need it to last all day long.

d.      I can replace other things if I have no other type of that product.  Right now this looks like it may only be primer and possibly mascara.

e.      If I stick to this until Sephora’s semi-annual sale, I may allow myself to spend a certain dollar amount (to be determined) on holiday sets.

I'm looking forward to participating here!

I'm still trying to put together my goals for 2014. I'm finding it a little intimidating, but I know that I need to just do it and not procrastinate because if I procrastinate it will never happen and I will end up back in the same place a year from now. A no-buy sounds really intimidating, but I think it's really what I need. I'm so tired of STUFF accumulating. It just feels wasteful and makes me feel bad. I know that I tend to shop when I'm upset or feeling down. It distracts me, but it ultimately makes me feel worse. I have plenty of things, and I want to make a point to enjoy what I have instead of acquiring more. My overall goal for this year is to get refocused, and I think that a big part of that is to not buy anymore things unless I actually need them. I'm going to work on putting everything else in writing.

Quote: Originally Posted by bellatrix42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still trying to put together my goals for 2014. I'm finding it a little intimidating, but I know that I need to just do it and not procrastinate because if I procrastinate it will never happen and I will end up back in the same place a year from now.

A no-buy sounds really intimidating, but I think it's really what I need. I'm so tired of STUFF accumulating. It just feels wasteful and makes me feel bad. I know that I tend to shop when I'm upset or feeling down. It distracts me, but it ultimately makes me feel worse. I have plenty of things, and I want to make a point to enjoy what I have instead of acquiring more.

My overall goal for this year is to get refocused, and I think that a big part of that is to not buy anymore things unless I actually need them. I'm going to work on putting everything else in writing.
A full year no buy can definitely sound intimidating, but the longer you go without shopping, the less you actually miss it or feel it. Shopping is definitely an addiction and it just gets easier the longer you don't do it. take it one month at a time - then it becomes 30-ish days vs 365. 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The rest of the weekends will be stay-at-home weekends dedicated to cooking for the freezer (I used to do this, and it was *fantastic*, but I've gotten overly used to *not* doing it and need to go back to it), cleaning, getting rid of stuff I don't use (I have an entire *room* full of stuff I haven't touched in more than four years) and putting things (like perfume oils) up on eBay.  That should keep me out of stores and focused on getting my apartment in order.  I have a nasty habit of buying *stuff* that just clutters up my apartment.  That needs to end.  This will also cut back on gas.  I've been sick/cranky and staying home most weekends lately (since I take the bus to work and hate holiday shopping crowds, I've basically been using my car to go to the grocery store once a week since Thanksgiving, and that's it), and I can go an entire month -- maybe even longer -- on one tank of gas when I don't spend every weekend running errands and shopping.

I'm also going to read this personal economics book I picked up a couple of years ago and haven't read because it's a survival guide sort of book that views debt and bills as the zombie apocalypse.  Wait.  I phrased that poorly.  I keep putting off reading it just because I am a procrastinator, not because of its contents or presentation.  I got it because of the way it's put together as a survival guide, and the bits and pieces I've read when I've opened it to random pages are really good and useful.  It's intended for people who are at or near the bottom of the economic food chain (so no investment tips, but plenty of tips on things like how to stay away from scammy situations and reasons why getting healthy is actually a financial thing -- and it's so aware of its target audience that there's even an entire chapter with the subtitle "How and why to keep your job...  Even if you hate it"), and it was cowritten by an actual economist (so it knows what it's talking about) and a local former radio personality/former podcaster/eternal smartass (so it's extremely readable). 

Why it's useful and relevant:  It gives tips like set up an autodeposit of $25 to $50 a month to a savings account that you basically have no access to (one specific rule:  DO NOT GET A DEBIT CARD FOR THIS ACCOUNT).  It sounds crazy, but I've done a variation of it before, and it's actually really nice:  If you're a money-fritterer, you don't notice the absence of that $25 to $50 -- and then you'll remember that you set that up months down the line, and then you'll finally get around to checking to see how much you have, and then you'll say, "Holy crap, I have three hundred bucks in there?  Ooh, new shoes!"  And that's what this account is for:  Remembering about it at some point down the road and playing. 

Hmm.  Maybe I should report its tips back here whenever I come across something that seems useful!  (I definitely need to see if I can get another direct deposit from my paycheck and get a $25-per-pay-period thing set up for my secondary credit union that I don't actually *go* to because it doesn't have weekend hours, and I've left my account there untouched for so long that they have actually called me to let me know that I need to *do* something with the money -- even if it's just calling them to move five bucks from checking to savings or vice versa -- every six months or a year if I want the account to remain open.  I might as well let money quietly pile up in it!)

**  I get paid via direct deposit every two weeks.  I figured out how much will cover rent and money I owe my dad (he loaned me some money a couple of years ago, and I'm sloooowly paying him back), and I get that much deposited into my checking account every other week.  The rest goes to savings.  Therefore, I get one check that goes entirely to rent/Dad and one non-rent check that goes towards other bills/groceries/etc. each month.  This month is a three-check month, and when that happens, I need to start putting the majority -- if not all -- of it in savings. 

ETA:  It has come to my attention that I forgot to name the book!  It's _Zombie Economics_, by Lisa Desjardins and Rick Emerson.  Amazon has it here.

Yes, please do post helpful hints here.  One of my New Year resolutions is to cook more and eat out less.  I've become addicted to convenience as opposed to putting the time in, and it shows in more than one area of my life.  So, I'm focusing on discipline, healthy living, decluttering, making my home an oasis, saving, and paying off debt.  I made a chicken taco soup in the slow cooker yesterday that will serve as lunch til next week, and it's really good! 

Ok, I've been stalling for far too long on my Low Buy/No Buy goals for this year. So here goes:

Monthly goals:

JAN- No buy

FEB- Low buy ($20), sell on ebay

MAR- No buy, sell on ebay

APR- No buy, do the Zoya Earth Day nail polish thing

MAY- Low buy ($20)

JUN- No buy

JUL- Low buy ($20)

AUG- No buy

SEP- Low buy ($20), sell on ebay

OCT- No buy- instead, have fun decorating house for the Fall, going on walks, etc.

NOV- Take advantage of all the good deals ($200)

DEC- Lowish buy to take advantage of the good deals ($100)

(Ok to replace necessary items, including: Paula's Choice skincare, personal hygiene items, mascara, concealer, and foundation but only when I run out!)

Planned buys as of Jan, 2014: Used Clarisonic on Ebay (willing to pay $60 max with charger), NYX jumbo eye pencil in 'milk' ($4.50), Faber Castell perfect pencil ($13), prescription sunglasses ($150), Butter London backstage pass with 'yummy mummy' ($44) (only if I consistently use my current nail polishes and like them for two months). May need new camisoles with bra shelves built in ($36), as well as new panties ($7), and perhaps a new pair of jeans ($45). Would be nice to have a classic purse or briefcase-type bag for my job ($60).

General beauty goals:

1. Take inventory of all beauty items, keep it in Google Docs so I can access it from anywhere.

2. Determine how long each item lasts me, and how much it would cost annually to keep using it.

3. Start actually using my eyeshadows, try two develop two go-to looks that work with my eye shape.

4. Declutter and minimize- if I don't like or use a product for more than 3 months, it's time to donate it or trash it.

5. Remember: cruelty-free only! And make myself reusable cotton squares with my sewing kit!

6. Make a monthly 'most wanted' list and must wait 30 days minimum before buying, and only during 'low buy' months, within the price range.

General financial goals:

1. Fully fund my 2013 Roth IRA

2. Fully fund my 2014 Roth IRA

3. When raise comes in, put a larger percentage of gross income into 401K

4. Check credit report three times a year on annualcreditreport.com and use creditkarma and mint.com monthly

5. Save at least $100 every month into my Emergency fund (ideally $300)

6. Consider trying the envelope method or get online bank that allows unlimited sub-accounts

How to stay on my No Buy:

1. Impulse control- must still want it at least 30 days after first feeling the need (see above).

2. Train yourself not to get a thrill from purchases, instead, go on walks, bike rides, and visit the library often for books, magazines, movies, music, and graphic novels. In short, do instead of buy.

3. Try DIY projects if you already have the materials- no going out and purchasing! This is to save money, not create a new hobby.

4. Trade or buy from sold items on ebay

5. Consider making a chart of goals and rewards, kind of like a rewards calendar. Each week I don't spend any money, I can give myself a point, which will allow me to add $5 to my next low buy month's quota, making it possible to change that low buy of $20 to a low buy of $40 if I meet my no buy goal each week of the previous month. Conversely, if I slip up in a week, I will have to be on a no-buy the next month again.

6. I can buy anything I want if I sell stuff and increase my paypal balance, but no more than my paypal balance.

That's all I could come up with for now! But hopefully I'll make it fun, and I'll spend enough time actually enjoying life that I won't even notice the lack of buying. And maybe that'll help my willpower. Come on 2014!!! Be the year for me to be disciplined!

I started panicking last night that a year of no buy is too long. DH and I worked it out that he will buy me something of my choosing for Mothers day in May, my birthday in August, and Christmas in December. That makes me feel not so panicky so I can still look and make lists and then let HIM buy me something. I won't acquire too much throughout the year and can still use up my stash.

Back